The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Nah man! I've just sold all my Canon gear for the X-T2 and I'm currently browsing the lenses with a view to buying! Haha

Speaking of which who can help me out? I originally was going to buy the 16-55 f/2.8 red badge lens however I've since noticed it doesn't have IS. Based on experience I know this shouldn't be an issue as I just need to keep my shutter speed higher than the focal length but it always seems to get my mind going when I hear something doesn't have IS. Anyone have this lens and can vouch for it?

My other thoughts which also worry me is to get the 10-24 and prime lenses. I've used a 50mm prime before but always felt I never wanted to be restricted to a focal length despite the many benefits. I thought about 10-24mm f/4, 23mm f/1.4 and either the 35mm f/1.4 or f/2.

What's the existing Fuji thoughts?

Bit of knowledge:

Landscape photographer that'll be doing a bit or street and general everyday kind of use i.e. portraits of family and pets.

A couple from Chichester - the OH went shopping and I went to find some beauty:)

Chichester_zps0rz7w39i.jpg

Chichester%20Gardens_zpscvtjqrxm.jpg

Taken with my XT-1 and 18-55​

Love Chichester, used to work in The Corn Exchange 15 years ago.

Used to put my boat in at Ichenor, now that's a nice place to visit.

A cautionary word for those thinking of the X-T2. Apparently the Nissin i40 flashgun does not work with this. I'm still trying to find out if this means that the flash doesn't work at all, or just doesn't work in TTL mode but will work in manual mode. I'm also trying to find out if Yongnuo triggers work with the X-T2. I use both the YN662 set and the RF603s for different purposes. It will be a PIA if these don't work.

Speaking of which who can help me out? I originally was going to buy the 16-55 f/2.8 red badge lens however I've since noticed it doesn't have IS. Based on experience I know this shouldn't be an issue as I just need to keep my shutter speed higher than the focal length but it always seems to get my mind going when I hear something doesn't have IS. Anyone have this lens and can vouch for it?

My other thoughts which also worry me is to get the 10-24 and prime lenses. I've used a 50mm prime before but always felt I never wanted to be restricted to a focal length despite the many benefits. I thought about 10-24mm f/4, 23mm f/1.4 and either the 35mm f/1.4 or f/2.

Bit of knowledge:

Landscape photographer that'll be doing a bit or street and general everyday kind of use i.e. portraits of family and pets.

I use my XT1 mostly for travel (so a mix of architecture, street & landscapes). I bought it with the 18-135 which is a really good allrounder. But the two I use most are the 10-24 and 35 f1.4. I'm planning a trial of a 35/f2 to see if I prefer it as I like the idea of the WR option, but either is great, and they work very nicely with the 10-24.

The important thing to remember is while some are better than others, Fuji doesn't make a single bad XF lens, so the main choice is on what focal lengths you want.

A cautionary word for those thinking of the X-T2. Apparently the Nissin i40 flashgun does not work with this. I'm still trying to find out if this means that the flash doesn't work at all, or just doesn't work in TTL mode but will work in manual mode. I'm also trying to find out if Yongnuo triggers work with the X-T2. I use both the YN662 set and the RF603s for different purposes. It will be a PIA if these don't work.
I wonder if this also applies to their i60 as well? Is it an issue that Nissin can solve with a firmware update?

The yongnuos shouldn't have any problem working, they only need contact/signal from the centre pin to fire.

I'm assuming that the Nissin will work on centre pin only. Won't know till I've tried it.

Pop a 603 on it and one on camera, if it fires it's because it works on centre pin only. Can't imagine it wouldn't but if you are not planning on keeping the X-T1 it would be an expensive manual flash (could sell and get 2 YN's) Even if a firmware update becomes available at some point it would have to be sent to Nissin for it. Last time I had to do that with a Sigma flash I was charged £40ish.

Bit of knowledge:

I've recently acquired the 16-55 f2.8 and very pleased with it. Used it quite often on 2 weddings. I'm not massively fussed about be ios- nikons 24-70 sold millions and managed without it. It's very well built and very smooth to zoom. My only gripe with it is that there's a fair bit of distortion at the wide end.

Last edited:
"I'm back!!!"

How do fellow Fuji folk. It's been a while since I have properly been in this forum due to work and family commitments so it is nice to be back again.

Had a day out today with the wife and kids to Landmark Adventure park in Carrbridge so took the XT1 along in the hope of getting some shots.

These are my 4 favourites....all shot with the trusty 18-55mm lens.
P.S the last shot is zoom burst done in camera with settings f16, 1/13th shutter and a quick flick of the wrist.

Thanks for looking!

1)
DSCF2369 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr
2)
DSCF2348 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr
3)
DSCF2373 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr
4)
DSCF2416 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

"I'm back!!!"

How do fellow Fuji folk. It's been a while since I have properly been in this forum due to work and family commitments so it is nice to be back again.

Had a day out today with the wife and kids to Landmark Adventure park in Carrbridge so took the XT1 along in the hope of getting some shots.

P.S the last shot is zoom burst done in camera with settings f16, 1/13th shutter and a quick flick of the wrist.

Thanks for looking!

1)
2)
3)
4)
Back with a bang! Great set, the last shot in particular is proper WOW!

Great shots, all of them. Did you use tubes or crop heavily? I'm sure mine doesn't get that close...
Love that last one, must try it myself [emoji16]

Great shots, all of them. Did you use tubes or crop heavily? I'm sure mine doesn't get that close...
Love that last one, must try it myself [emoji16]

Part crop on the butterfly images but they were taken in a butterfly farm so they happily land and allow you to get up close.
Apart from the crop i was on the ragged edge of the focus distance at 55mm.

"I'm back!!!"

Thanks for looking!

1)
2)
3)
4)

Great set of images Stuart, and nice to see some of your shots again. Long time since I've seen a zoom burst type shot but this one works very well.(y)

George.

I posted this into the B&W thread, but there hasn't been any feedback there so thought I'd give it a try here.

This was taken in Snowdonia, on the Lake Railway @ Llanberis. Shot on my X-T1, original was taken in "velvia" but I've processed this in LR with Silver FX Pro.

First time I've used any NIK software, but I do like the effect. Does anybody on here use NIK ?

Line by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

I'll PM you this evening with the lenses Chris and if you're interested in any I'll raise a for sale thread as per the rules ok?

Thanks Terry. I've got quite a few but you never know, always on the lookout!

Damn, forgot to pm you @ChrisR

I'll try to remember tonight.

I know I have the Pentax 50mm f1.7 and the Vivitar 75-205 f3.8 with matched 2x teleconverter. Plus others.

Great photo of a cracking engine george @G.K.Jnr.
I'd say the resolution of the lens has allowed the crop to handle well will little suffering in the details.

On a side note.......triple carbs, i bet they are a bitch to tune and balance :D

Great photo of a cracking engine george @G.K.Jnr.
I'd say the resolution of the lens has allowed the crop to handle well will little suffering in the details.

On a side note.......triple carbs, i bet they are a bitch to tune and balance :D

Thanks Stuart, much appreciated.(y)

"I'm sure they tune these old triples the old fashioned way using a stethoscope via each air intake and balance them by the sound".:D

George.

I posted this into the B&W thread, but there hasn't been any feedback there so thought I'd give it a try here.

This was taken in Snowdonia, on the Lake Railway @ Llanberis. Shot on my X-T1, original was taken in "velvia" but I've processed this in LR with Silver FX Pro.

First time I've used any NIK software, but I do like the effect. Does anybody on here use NIK ?

Line by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Oh yes I love it especially for IR stuff. Colour fx pro too.

I can't get on with any of the nik products myself, ive tried a few times but they don't do anything I can't do with more control by myself in lightroom. For IR I have some preset adjustments set in lr for colour white balance and then I tweak from there, for B&w IR I just use 830nm filters and where necessary tweak the curves only.

I've recently acquired the 16-55 f2.8 and very pleased with it. Used it quite often on 2 weddings. I'm not massively fussed about be ios- nikons 24-70 sold millions and managed without it. It's very well built and very smooth to zoom. My only gripe with it is that there's a fair bit of distortion at the wide end.

Yeah the distortion at 16mm is probably my only gripe with it too and because I tended to use it at either 16mm, 23mm or 35mm it made sense just to use the 16mm prime.
Lack of IOS was never a problem though!

I have the 14 f2.8 and Samyang 12 f2 and both are excellent for IQ and pretty small. I don't doubt the 10-24 would also be excellent - if you're doing landscape on a tripod a lot of the time I would go for a prime as you wouldn't need the OIS.

The other lenses really depend on which FLs you like. It may focus slower but the 35 f1.4 is still a great lens optically.

Bit of knowledge:

Artificial aurora, AKA a plasma ball. Bottled lightning.

I can't fathom out just what that first shot is Stuart, but I sure do like it very much.(y)

George.

As per nods comment its a large plasma ball.
It was literally a grab shot as the wife putt her hand on it.
Dialled in a -3EV to get evetything else black and bring the shutter up enough.

Gotta love the dials on the XT1 for making simple changes on the fly.

As per nods comment its a large plasma ball.
It was literally a grab shot as the wife putt her hand on it.
Dialled in a -3EV to get evetything else black and bring the shutter up enough.

Gotta love the dials on the XT1 for making simple changes on the fly.
Nice job, anyway.

Back