The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I'm kinda hoping this will drop after a few months to around £100 less. It needs to really if it's going to be a success.

Just had a thought though... this could be the first lens priced with the upcoming hikes in mind. I guess it's possible that the 35/2 could increase in price to something similar too? X-A3 looks very expensive too...just saying :/

Just had a thought though... this could be the first lens priced with the upcoming hikes in mind. I guess it's possible that the 35/2 could increase in price to something similar too? X-A3 looks very expensive too...just saying :/

35/2 can be had for £265 after the cash back deal(£25) which if your right about,a possible price increase makes the 35/2 a bargain!
End of August the cash back deal ends!

Retailers are indeed absorbing some costs but this is quickly coming to an end as stocks push through in he channel leaving all outlets on new stock.

Amazon are likely the only place to still offer cheap stock as goods are sourced all over the place and held all over the place including mainland Europe. Internal logistics allows stock movements and as a result you can get stock 5-10% cheaper from Amazon.

It's all a front though buying from Amazon UK. Stock could be from anywhere and there's no assurances that stock is UK for warranty purposes. Amazon may as well be a grey outlet now so be aware when making the purchase.

Adam, I do quite a bit of real long exposure ND stuff, 16+ stops, and I'm not a fan of gaskets, square filters and light leaks, so I have step rings to take my Fuji lenses to 72mm, the apply the ND filters as required. I just prefer screw in ND filters. If I want to add a grad as well then, the filter holder screws into the the thread on the front of the filter, and I can add grads. It's just my preferred way of doing things, yes of course you could have all 85mm square/rectangle filters and then use just the filter holder.

Please note the Lee Seven5 and Hitech 67mm systems are not wide enough for the Samyang 12mm and Fuji 10-24 lenses, so if you want to go Lee you will need the 100mm system. Hitech offer 85mm and 100mm systems.

The bit in bold isn't strictly true, I used it just fine. You can end up with a black corner if you turn the filter holder to a very specific angle however.

Not if you are on a public footpath!!!! I've never had an issue from the paths or even the riverbanks, but the little security van, has tracked me on the opposite side on the island, especially when I got near the bridge. If you look on the urbex forums, you will see both locations are regularly penetrated, and since both are live sites, they have naturally upped their security vigilance. From the urbex forums they seem to get caught at least 50% of the time, and marched off-site. The power generation building looks the most interesting, but recently cameras have been installed inside the building as well as outside.

@Alan Clogwyn

@mickledore and I went to Brunner Mond Wharf site at Winnington on Wednesday this week, only to discover that it is being demolished (see pics in X-E2 thread), and that the footpath round the back is closed for 6 weeks from yesterday (Thurs) while they remove a gantry, so it looks like one of Northwich's identifiable industrial landmarks is going. We might possibly be the last people to walk down the footpath and under the gantry!!!

How are the Lee filters with colour cast? In any event, it seems rather unfortunate that all the small lee filters work with every fuji lens - save for the 10-24.

The Seven5 Big Stopper has a very strong blue cast, The ND grads have no cast.

@Alan Clogwyn

@mickledore and I went to Brunner Mond Wharf site at Winnington on Wednesday this week, only to discover that it is being demolished (see pics in X-E2 thread), and that the footpath round the back is closed for 6 weeks from yesterday (Thurs) while they remove a gantry, so it looks like one of Northwich's identifiable industrial landmarks is going. We might possibly be the last people to walk down the footpath and under the gantry!!!

Gutted, should have gone last week then!

Interesting, when I contacted Hitech they said I would need the 100mm for the 10-24 - they said the 85 wouldn't even be wide enough?

This is probably correct, and is due to the holder rather than the filter size.

On the Lee Seven5, Lee told me that they started getting vignetting at around 12-13mm on the 10-24, and recommended the 100mm system (they don't have an 85mm system)

The Hitech 85mm should allow you to go wider on the 10-24 (providing that you haven't amass of filter slots in the folder, but it probably won't go to the full 10mm. Thats not to say it won't be of use, it just will limit the zoom range when the holder is in place, probably to around 11mm ish to 24mm. You then have to decide whether you want this limitation or not.

The Zeiss and Samyang 12mm both have a 99 degree field of view. (the 10-24 is 110 degress at 10mm). The issue here isn't the filters but the depth of the assembled holder. The Hitech holder comes with two sets of retaining bolts so you can assembly it with differing numbers of filter slots, the more slots you have the more chance that something will vignette.

IMO the best way forward is to buy the glass you want, then sort out a suitable filter system, you are in danger here of making the Hitech 85mm system the driver for your glass purchases!!!

The Zeiss and Samyang 12mm both have a 99 degree field of view. (the 10-24 is 110 degress at 10mm). The issue here isn't the filters but the depth of the assembled holder. The Hitech holder comes with two sets of retaining bolts so you can assembly it with differing numbers of filter slots, the more slots you have the more chance that something will vignette.

IMO the best way forward is to buy the glass you want, then sort out a suitable filter system, you are in danger here of making the Hitech 85mm system the driver for your glass purchases!!!

Possibly, however - when torn between two optic options the price and size difference between the 100mm and 85/75mm filter holders is not an insignificant factor. It's all part of the puzzle and it's never a bad thing to be fully informed. Cheers

Possibly, however - when torn between two optic options the price and size difference between the 100mm and 85/75mm filter holders is not an insignificant factor. It's all part of the puzzle and it's never a bad thing to be fully informed. Cheers

I know what you mean!!! I've probably got over £600 worth of filters, it's easily done! Landscape photography isn't cheap, a decent tripod and set of filters is easily £1000, but IMO too many people get sucked into wide is best for landscape, before going Fuji I had a crop Canon with a Sigma 10-20, I went through my WA photos and found that a lot were shot at 14mm (21mm FF equivalent), so that really made my decision. It also means that I have a nice two lens lightweight setup, 14mm and 18-55mm which share the same filter ring and hood.

Going back to Zeiss v Samyang, IMO unless you need the AF of the Zeiss, buy the Samyang (I did have one briefly, but felt that it was too wide - for me). You have to take a lot of care when shooting WA to ensure that there are no unwanted elements in the FOV.

This is probably correct, and is due to the holder rather than the filter size.

On the Lee Seven5, Lee told me that they started getting vignetting at around 12-13mm on the 10-24, and recommended the 100mm system (they don't have an 85mm system)

The Hitech 85mm should allow you to go wider on the 10-24 (providing that you haven't amass of filter slots in the folder, but it probably won't go to the full 10mm. Thats not to say it won't be of use, it just will limit the zoom range when the holder is in place, probably to around 11mm ish to 24mm. You then have to decide whether you want this limitation or not.
I use the Lee Seven5 on the 10-24, and whilst it is true there is vignetting from about 13mm, in practice I can get round this by cropping on the length. My output is A4/A3 printed format, which always necessitates cropping. I do have a screw-in for when full aspect is essential. Incidentally, you can reduce the impact of vignetting in Lightroom by applying a reverse vignette, which lightens the corners (as long as there's no detail there). I think sometimes we get distracted by theoretical difficulties and don't acknowledge the practical.

I know what you mean!!! I've probably got over £600 worth of filters, it's easily done! Landscape photography isn't cheap, a decent tripod and set of filters is easily £1000, but IMO too many people get sucked into wide is best for landscape, before going Fuji I had a crop Canon with a Sigma 10-20, I went through my WA photos and found that a lot were shot at 14mm (21mm FF equivalent), so that really made my decision. It also means that I have a nice two lens lightweight setup, 14mm and 18-55mm which share the same filter ring and hood.

Going back to Zeiss v Samyang, IMO unless you need the AF of the Zeiss, buy the Samyang (I did have one briefly, but felt that it was too wide - for me). You have to take a lot of care when shooting WA to ensure that there are no unwanted elements in the FOV.

Yeah, in the last 30 minutes I've decided I'll stick to the 16mm for now - see how I get on with that for a while. Makes filter selection a lot easier too. A lot easier but still hard...Everything is much more complicated by the fact I'm off to NZ on 10 October and want to have a future proof system in pace before then...

In those complicated circumstances what do you do?

Yeah, in the last 30 minutes I've decided I'll stick to the 16mm for now - see how I get on with that for a while. Makes filter selection a lot easier too. A lot easier but still hard...Everything is much more complicated by the fact I'm off to NZ on 10 October and want to have a future proof system in pace before then...

In those complicated circumstances what do you do?

Stitch a panoramic together with vertical shots from the 23 or 35 or 56 or 18-55!!!!! Ideally you don't want to shoot a panoramic with a WA as you will get more optical distortion.

Chocolate hobnobbs I hope.

What I keep in my biscuit tin is between myself and the container - even Mrs Nod is unaware!

I've heard all UK camera prices are about to take another significant increase. Unavoidable as the pound crashes. If you are thinking of buying something new I'd be doing it asap.

Is this the same pound that keeps bouncing? In a few months, prices will drop (post commercialmas sales among other reasons) and the post departure panic will see the pound recover even more (hopefully). If you need something now, buy it but if it's more of a want, wait! Having said that, with interest on savings being virtually zero, you may as well buy now but go for 2nd hand rather than suffer the immediate loss of value that always comes from buying new kit!

Is this the same pound that keeps bouncing?
No, you've got it all wrong. The pound is in total freefall and the stock exchange is falling even faster. Every day there are record new drops in levels. It's immaterial that the FTSE 100 has just reached levels higher than before the Brown crash of 2008. Same with consumer expenditure. No one is in the shops any more because nobody has any money. Want a holiday? Companies are giving them away because they cannot sell them. Football stadiums are empty and pubs are closing faster than I can type this. No new cars are being sold and I've just had to cancel my Norwegian trip because the fuel is now too expensive. All due to BREXIT. Honest - it says so on BBC!

I'd better cancel next week's flights and lock myself in the bunker until hell freezes over then! Or have another nice couple of weeks in the sunshine spending the € that I should probably be hoarding as an investment!!! I'd better take the kit I bought (new...) as well, just in case I need to realise some material assets while we're away. :p

I'd better cancel next week's flights and lock myself in the bunker until hell freezes over then! Or have another nice couple of weeks in the sunshine spending the € that I should probably be hoarding as an investment!!! I'd better take the kit I bought (new...) as well, just in case I need to realise some material assets while we're away. :p
Sell the wife???

Well, I do know of at least one place there that's looking for a barmaid...

$450 / 1.32 = £375. Add VAT and your at £409. Resellers are making £10 profit. I can see it going up in price as they'll not stand for that for very long!

Yes, when you look at it like that I guess you're probably right Andrew.

Still time will tell. In honesty I was hoping it'd be a little smaller.

@Alan Clogwyn

Gutted, should have gone last week then!

Brunner Mond by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr

This might never be seen again.

Yes, when you look at it like that I guess you're probably right Andrew.

Still time will tell. In honesty I was hoping it'd be a little smaller.
Coming from astronomy before photography, I still find it weird that a lens at the same speed, but shorter focal length, can somehow be bigger in both length and width....

@Mr Perceptive is the local expert. Think it started life as part of the local salt industry then it became chemicals etc. The main man will no doubt be along shortly with chapter and verse.

Back