The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

This is probably correct, and is due to the holder rather than the filter size.

On the Lee Seven5, Lee told me that they started getting vignetting at around 12-13mm on the 10-24, and recommended the 100mm system (they don't have an 85mm system)

The Hitech 85mm should allow you to go wider on the 10-24 (providing that you haven't amass of filter slots in the folder, but it probably won't go to the full 10mm. Thats not to say it won't be of use, it just will limit the zoom range when the holder is in place, probably to around 11mm ish to 24mm. You then have to decide whether you want this limitation or not.
I have the 18-55 and a 35 at the moment. I would like a 14 and the 50-140 at some point. As the 50-140 is the biggest at 72mm, if I bought 72mm screw in filters could I use step up/down rings for the other lenses?

I have the 18-55 and a 35 at the moment. I would like a 14 and the 50-140 at some point. As the 50-140 is the biggest at 72mm, if I bought 72mm screw in filters could I use step up/down rings for the other lenses?

Definitely. Might look a bit odd though :)

Yes, this is what I and @mickledore do, but on wide angle lenses you are better having a single for instance 58mm to 72mm ring, rather than several steps 58-62-67-72. As mickledore found out, the latter can cause vignetting, so in my case I have 52-72, 58-72, 62-72 and 67-72. All my ND filters are circular 72mm and I also have a Hitech holder for grads with 58, 62, 67 and 72 adjustment rings, often I put in a screw in ND and then add a grad using a 72mm adapted into the outer thread on the ND filter. It's my preferred way of working, others work differently, but the screw in NDs you never get light leaks or have to phaff about the gaskets, and that's important when using 16 stoppers!

Yes, this is what I and @mickledore do, but on wide angle lenses you are better having a single for instance 58mm to 72mm ring, rather than several steps 58-62-67-72. As mickledore found out, the latter can cause vignetting, so in my case I have 52-72, 58-72, 62-72 and 67-72. All my ND filters are circular 72mm and I also have a Hitech holder for grads with 58, 62, 67 and 72 adjustment rings, often I put in a screw in ND and then add a grad using a 72mm adapted into the outer thread on the ND filter. It's my preferred way of working, others work differently, but the screw in NDs you never get light leaks or have to phaff about the gaskets, and that's important when using 16 stoppers!
Well said that man. Totally agree.

Thanks again Mr P.

Reactions: ASH
Last edited:
I thought I had it covered with my 18-55 and 55-200... But after trying a set of primes i've fallen in love.
I'm considering ditching the 18-55 in favour of primes, and keeping the 55-200 for longer work/portraits. I can either go 18 f2 and 35 f1.4, or just 23 f1.4 and zoom with my feet (and stick the leftover cash into the engagement ring fund).
Discuss.

As mickledore found out, the latter can cause vignetting, so in my case I have 52-72, 58-72, 62-72 and 67-72.
Damn you @Mr Perceptive
I'm just back from an early morning trip to Coniston and waiting for me were two step up rings - 58-72 & 62-72. Put these on the 14mm and even with a CPL and two stacked NDs there was no vignetting. Could have used these this morning. Live and learn.

I finally had a chance to process some shots of the kiddiewinks from last week, sorry for the toddler overload :D

This is the first time I've really processed in Lightroom from JPG rather than RAF. I actually prefer the results from JPG too! :) Most processing is using the RNI Polaroid 669 preset and the last image was processed from RAF.

Passengers

On the beach...

Tractor ride

Beach art

Are you having a laugh?!

Riding along in my automobile...

Very nice set of images Mr G, all very appealing with for me #4 being my clear fav', followed by #2-(mono) and then #5.(y)

George.

Made a decision late last night to go to Lakes early morning before the grockles with their kids, dogs and grannies swamped the place.
Been trying to get here for some time.
Rose Cottage by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr
I seem to be into B&W more & more these days - there is just that something extra in the way you interpret a monochrome image. This is a lovely scene :)

I seem to be into B&W more & more these days - there is just that something extra in the way you interpret a monochrome image. This is a lovely scene :)
Thank you. I too seem to be producing more b&w images. Think it works the grey cells a little bit more.

Made a decision late last night to go to Lakes early morning before the grockles with their kids, dogs and grannies swamped the place.
Been trying to get here for some time.
Rose Cottage by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr

That's a beautiful shot, processed really well. Looks serene and dramatic at the same time.

Back