The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I just looked at the XT2 review on Amateur Photographer. Anyone know how is it that they say the dynamic range at Low Iso (100) is better than at 200 - when the Fuji manual says you will loose dynamic range if you shot at low iso (100) Seems odd - or am i missing something?

Sorry I know I'm being lazy and would find it it I searched well enough, but how do you get a full WYSIWYG with manual lenses?

I just tried a couple of shots and manually set shutter speed and ISO and got fairly blown out images - to be honest as I would have expected, but it looked okay in the EVF, I know it doesn't know my f stop but I was expecting to see it blown out so I could adjust to suit.

I just looked at the XT2 review on Amateur Photographer. Anyone know how is it that they say the dynamic range at Low Iso (100) is better than at 200 - when the Fuji manual says you will loose dynamic range if you shot at low iso (100) Seems odd - or am i missing something?
I read a review recently and it said the dynamic range at 100 iso was significantly lower than at 200 iso. I can't remember where I saw it though.

At a guess, the sensor's native ISO is 200 so either boosting or attenuating the output will reduce the DR available.

Sorry I know I'm being lazy and would find it it I searched well enough, but how do you get a full WYSIWYG with manual lenses?

I just tried a couple of shots and manually set shutter speed and ISO and got fairly blown out images - to be honest as I would have expected, but it looked okay in the EVF, I know it doesn't know my f stop but I was expecting to see it blown out so I could adjust to suit.

Make sure you have "preview exposure in manual mode" switched on in camera menu.

Make sure you have "preview exposure in manual mode" switched on in camera menu.

Perfect, worked a treat - thanks Colin - it was under SETUP (1) - Screen Setup - Preview Exp+WB

I had mine on just WB.

This shots a bit down on quality mainly because it's had a silly amount of cropping/pulling up applied. I only had an 18mm lens with me and didn't want to miss the shot.

X-T1, 18mm Lens, 1/1000 @ F8, ISO-200, Handheld.
Harbour Sunrise-10011 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking and any comments welcome.,(y):fuji:

George.

You certainly have made Dover harbour look more attractive than it normally is George.:clap:

You certainly have made Dover harbour look more attractive than it normally is George.:clap:

Thanks Rob, appreciate your comments.(y)

"I was kinda guessin' you might recognize the location":D:D

George.

I am considering splashing out on the Fuji 23mm f1.4. I already have the 10-24mm and 18-55mm, but keep hankering after a fast prime. I bought the 35mm f1.4, but found its field of view too narrow. Wondered if anyone here can sway me in going for this, or is it just GAS?:naughty:

I am considering splashing out on the Fuji 23mm f1.4. I already have the 10-24mm and 18-55mm, but keep hankering after a fast prime. I bought the 35mm f1.4, but found its field of view too narrow. Wondered if anyone here can sway me in going for this, or is it just GAS?:naughty:

Strange how we all differ in our preferences Rob, I've got the 23mm and with out a doubt its a "Cracking" bit of glass. Though I very seldom use or take it out with me as its a FL I just cannot get on with, for me its neither long or wide enough and I much prefer the 35mm (50ish field of view FF). I'd have considered doing some sort of exchange with you but I already have the 35mm 1.4. (y)

George.

Go for it, it's one of the best pieces of glass for the Fuji X system, super sharp, super versatile, since owning mine I reckon 50% of the shots are with it, and I own 8 other X mount lenses!!!

Thanks for the replies chaps, I find that the 10-24mm is my most used lens, but am finding the f4 to be a bit limiting, in certain situations. Will give it a bit of thought (about 10 mins).

It's a great lens tack sharp and the f1.4 is great in low light. Only sold mine as purchased the 16-55 wr.

Stick your zoom lens to 23mm for a day, shoot lots and see if that field of view is okay for you...than place your order!

For something slightly wider I'd check out the XF18mm f2, such a GREAT lens quality wise, very underrated and not much talked about/discussed. It's around a third of the price of the XF23mm f1.4.

Check this link out if you get a chance;

http://www.juzaphoto.com/recensione.php?l=en&t=fujifilm_18mm

Regards;
Pete

Strange how we all differ in our preferences Rob, I've got the 23mm and with out a doubt its a "Cracking" bit of glass. Though I very seldom use or take it out with me as its a FL I just cannot get on with, for me its neither long or wide enough and I much prefer the 35mm (50ish field of view FF). I'd have considered doing some sort of exchange with you but I already have the 35mm 1.4. (y)

George.
I agree with George, I owned one last year and really couldn't get on with its actual focal length to be honest, a great piece of glass but as George said, it's neither long or wide enough for most photographic situations. Only my personal thoughts of course. But a strange 'stuck in the middle ' focal length I feel.

The XF27 is a similar vain, although the compactness of the lens is fantastic.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies chaps, I find that the 10-24mm is my most used lens, but am finding the f4 to be a bit limiting, in certain situations. Will give it a bit of thought (about 10 mins).

Sell it too me ?

Well it's arrived :woot: Still a bit unsure on the colour, darker than I'd hoped, might look better in daylight. Very happy with the condition, took me a while to spot the mark WEX had highlighted, the rest looks mint. Looking forward to setting it up and taking some images with it (y)

Well it's arrived :woot: Still a bit unsure on the colour, darker than I'd hoped, might look better in daylight. Very happy with the condition, took me a while to spot the mark WEX had highlighted, the rest looks mint. Looking forward to setting it up and taking some images with it (y)

I love the graphite silver of the X-T1. IMO so much classier looking than the silver X-T10, which I had until recently and thought the lighter silver colour made it look a bit cheap. But colours to one side... what fantastic looking cameras all round huh! :cool:

Well two good things so far today ;-)

1/ Grip will be with me for the X-T2 on Monday along with a third battery!

2/ If you hold down the recycle bin button on the X-T2 and then while holding down push the Right scroll wheel down it takes you straight into the format card selection rather than going through all the menus :)

I love the graphite silver of the X-T1. IMO so much classier looking than the silver X-T10, which I had until recently and thought the lighter silver colour made it look a bit cheap. But colours to one side... what fantastic looking cameras all round huh! :cool:
Yep, agreed. I think the reason I prefer the silver of the XT10 as it looks more retro and reminds me of my old OM1 ;)

Just been fiddling with the menus and have a few queries.

1.Is there a 'help' button you can press when in the menus to tell you what each option does?

2. Is there an option so that when you go into the menus it takes you back to the last option you were using rather than going back to the start every time?

3. I can't figure out how to get the split screen so that when you MF it brings up a close up of the AF area. I have it selected in the menu but it doesn't activate when using MF, any ideas?

Edit: Ignore 3, found the option thanks to the manual ;)

Last edited:
Looks like hss will soon be available for the xt2 and the cactus flash set up. Got my cactus flash and transceiver last week :banana:

Weather's been dire this week and been having to do late shifts after the project I'm working on went live this week.
Did get out last Sunday though, always seem to end up in East Lothian at the moment, close I guess!

Bass Rock and Beyond, Firth of Forth by Chris Mitchell, on Flickr

At last I managed to get out with the XT2, a quick walk around the gardens at Wisley. I'm still stunned at the level of detail from this sensor, and the jpegs as always are gorgeous [emoji106]

20160930-20160930-DSCF0264.jpg by -Gregg Gorman-

20160930-20160930-DSCF0231.jpg by -Gregg Gorman-

20160930-20160930-DSCF0225.jpg by -Gregg Gorman-

20160930-20160930-DSCF0192.jpg by -Gregg Gorman-
Great to see the use of the XF56 glass Gregg, superb lens don't ya think...? How are you liking it..?

:)

Was covering a boxing match tonight using my Canon gear ,and for one round I had a wee shot of my XT2 with 23mm lens.iso 4000, f2. shutter speed 500.I was very impressed as i still have not got used to settingsView attachment 74711View attachment 74712

Out of interest, was this the Dale Evans, Mike Towell fight? I saw a news article last night and recognised some of the tattoos from your photos - awful news about Mike Towell. :(

Apologies if not.

At last I managed to get out with the XT2, a quick walk around the gardens at Wisley. I'm still stunned at the level of detail from this sensor, and the jpegs as always are gorgeous [emoji106]

Great set of images Gregg, particularly liking the detail in #1, and the composition & colours in #4.(y)

George.

Some great detail there Gregg. I had the 56mm twice and it was an exceptional lens but I just didn't use it enough to justify the cost.

Back