The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

You do get 6 month warranty too at MPB :)
The X-T1 i've ordered was listed as excellent condition at £500 ( on a random sale deal ) so its not too bad when ive seen few XT1's going for £450 on forums plus i was able to send my XT10 in with the deal.
Yeah I like the piece of mind of warranty so the private price has to be significantly lower for me to justify it. Harrisons have been listing loads of excellent condition XT1's for under £500 recently. I bought my GSE XT1 from Wex for £580 in excellent/mint condition, was happy to pay £80 for the vanity :oops: :$:LOL:

I'm sure someone said that on the D750 you could Micro Adjust your screen protector. Will Fuji be including that in the next firmware update?
I'm rapidly running out of micro-adjuster shims for my X-T2. As I'm bald I now have to use the dog's hairs. And she has a bald belly. :(

Friends

I am currently a FF Canon user and have had my eye and heart quite set on changing over to the X-T2 to the extent of utilising the sales forum for my current gear ( NB - Nota sales pitch I assure you LO ). My work are of people and events in the main and as such AF, including in low light is a non-negotiable factor. I was happy to go down Fuji Avenue until the DP Review report which came out yesterday highlighted the camera's AF limitations, especially under low light saying:-

" Fujifilm expressly prioritized image quality over AF performance with its early lenses (particularly the wide-aperture primes) and these simply can't move their focus elements fast enough to take advantage of the X-T2's capabilities. As such, you'll only experience the camera's full performance with a select sub-set of the system's lenses "

" The other concern for us was that the camera's performance drops significantly as soon as the light level dropped.....In addition, the camera seems only to initiate tracking only once it's achieved the first focus lock, so this too becomes less reliable in low light. " https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-t2/8

The three areas of ' CONS ' which are most alarming were these :-

• Camera's full AF capability only available with a subset of lenses
  • Subject tracking, while good, is not be dependable enough for professional use
  • AF performance drops significantly in low light https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-t2/9

I was born in an era where the very thought of auto-focusing lenses would have you cast out in shame let alone seeking or taking ownership of anything in that shape or form BUT these are different times and as I earn my crust with appreciable reliance on these elements, I am wondering if I should stay with Canon and look at Fuji further down the line. Not unlike the lesser days of the 5D2 by comparison with its successors.

Apologise that this may be ' long n boring ' but would appreciate any thoughts - with thanks in anticipation :)

Friends

I am currently a FF Canon user and have had my eye and heart quite set on changing over to the X-T2 to the extent of utilising the sales forum for my current gear ( NB - Nota sales pitch I assure you LO ). My work are of people and events in the main and as such AF, including in low light is a non-negotiable factor. I was happy to go down Fuji Avenue until the DP Review report which came out yesterday highlighted the camera's AF limitations, especially under low light saying:-

" Fujifilm expressly prioritized image quality over AF performance with its early lenses (particularly the wide-aperture primes) and these simply can't move their focus elements fast enough to take advantage of the X-T2's capabilities. As such, you'll only experience the camera's full performance with a select sub-set of the system's lenses "

" The other concern for us was that the camera's performance drops significantly as soon as the light level dropped.....In addition, the camera seems only to initiate tracking only once it's achieved the first focus lock, so this too becomes less reliable in low light. " https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-t2/8

• Subject tracking, while good, is not be dependable enough for professional use
  • AF performance drops significantly in low light https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-t2/9

I was born in an era where the very thought of auto-focusing lenses would have you cast out in shame let alone seeking or taking ownership of anything in that shape or form BUT these are different times and as I earn my crust with appreciable reliance on these elements, I am wondering if I should stay with Canon and look at Fuji further down the line. Not unlike the lesser days of the 5D2 by comparison with its successors.

Apologise that this may be ' long n boring ' but would appreciate any thoughts - with thanks in anticipation :)
Whilst the X-T2 is a big leap forward it still comes up short in AF compared to the top end DSLRs according to those who have both, so if AF is your primary concern I would not recommend swapping over just yet.

Whilst the X-T2 is a big leap forward it still comes up short in AF compared to the top end DSLRs according to those who have both, so if AF is your primary concern I would not recommend swapping over just yet.

Thanks Mr Snerkler. I'm beginning to realise I may have jumped the gun a bit with my initial enthusiasm of the X-T2, great in many ways as it is. :)

Just a shot of a Thistle taken while walking up on the cliffs. Quite a pull up as I only had the 18-55mm lens with me and couldn't get as close as I would have liked.

X-T1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/350th @ F8, ISO-200, Handheld.
Thistle (1)-200057 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking and any comments welcome.,(y):fuji:

George.

Just a shot of a Thistle taken while walking up on the cliffs. Quite a pull up as I only had the 18-55mm lens with me and couldn't get as close as I would have liked.

X-T1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/350th @ F8, ISO-200, Handheld.
Thistle (1)-200057 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking and any comments welcome.,(y):fuji:

George.
Lovely crisp shot, George.

Friends

Running Canon 1DX and 1DX MKII bodies for my main work the X-T2 doesn't come close in all honesty either with initial A/F acquisition or tracking in low light or with fast moving subjects but would say its on par with the 7D MKII but with better ISO handling.

Running Canon 1DX and 1DX MKII bodies for my main work the X-T2 doesn't come close in all honesty either with initial A/F acquisition or tracking in low light or with fast moving subjects but would say its on par with the 7D MKII but with better ISO handling.

Thanks Glen

How would you rate it compared to 5D3 or 4?

It's that statement on DPR that says that the subject tracking is not dependable enough for professional use that makes it a no-go area for the moment. I don't shoot fast moving subjects but my 5D3s give me a sense of confidence when covering classical concerts and corporate events - at all times of day or night. If the DPR study is accurate I should perhaps stay happy and not imagine the grass is always greener on the other side...

I thought the 7D-II was supposed to be top draw in the AF department?

Thanks Glen

How would you rate it compared to 5D3 or 4?

It's that statement on DPR that says that the subject tracking is not dependable enough for professional use that makes it a no-go area for the moment. I don't shoot fast moving subjects but my 5D3s give me a sense of confidence when covering classical concerts and corporate events - at all times of day or night. If the DPR study is accurate I should perhaps stay happy and not imagine the grass is always greener on the other side...

Never had a 5 series camera as have always either covered sport or shot weddings as a second shooter with the 1D series cameras.
The A/F is a very good move forward with the X-T2 but it doesn't give me the confidence the 1 series does to the point that i know even without checking the display that its nailed the shot.

ISO range although very good i still feel falls behind the Canon's as i quite often shoot sports stuff at 12800 in pitlane with the MKII.

I guess you can live and learn to shoot with the system and it does really have some very good advantages with its size and weight plus the jpegs straight out of camera are excellent but i still wouldnt want to use it as a main camera to cover an event in low light just yet.

I thought the 7D-II was supposed to be top draw in the AF department?

Have never been over impressed with the 7D MKII A/F and also the ISO performance but compared to a 1DX or 1DX MKII most things are not as good in all honesty but they are a shed load more expensive.

Still feel in good light that the X-T2 with the 100-400 was as good as the 7D MKII with the Canon 100-400MKII but with a 300 or 400 f2.8 on the 7D MKII it would be a different story.

The 7D MKII does lock on slightly better in low light with the 85mm 1.2 compared to the X-T2 with the 56mm f1.2 but the image from the X-T2 ISO wise is a lot better in my opinion.

When i get a little bit of time on my hands at the weekend will try and record the A/F performance between the 7D MKII with the 85mm and the X-T2 with the 56mm with a gopro through the eyepiece and then post up a link if its any help.

Know the 1DX MKII and 7D MKII are both meant to be good for A/F to -3EV but still feel the 7D MKII isn't as good as the full frame 1DX MKII and have no idea of the spec for the X-T2 but it does hunt and not lock on a lot more in lower light conditions.

My XT2's single and continuous auto focus is a lot better than all the cameras I owned in the past Nikon D800, D600, D7000, D300s and the xt1. I can't compare it to the top end bodies D5 and 1Dx because they are in a different league to any other camera.

The more I use my XT2 the better understanding I have of its focusing system and I m getting great results

Never had a 5 series camera as have always either covered sport or shot weddings as a second shooter with the 1D series cameras.
The A/F is a very good move forward with the X-T2 but it doesn't give me the confidence the 1 series does to the point that i know even without checking the display that its nailed the shot.

ISO range although very good i still feel falls behind the Canon's as i quite often shoot sports stuff at 12800 in pitlane with the MKII.

I guess you can live and learn to shoot with the system and it does really have some very good advantages with its size and weight plus the jpegs straight out of camera are excellent but i still wouldnt want to use it as a main camera to cover an event in low light just yet.

Thanks Glen and yes I need that assurance of tracking and AF. The AF of the 5D3 is out of the 1Dx and I would have thought the Mk lV compares well with the 1Dxll

My XT2's single and continuous auto focus is a lot better than all the cameras I owned in the past Nikon D800, D600, D7000, D300s and the xt1. I can't compare it to the top end bodies D5 and 1Dx because they are in a different league to any other camera.

The more I use my XT2 the better understanding I have of its focusing system and I m getting great results

Many thanks for your observations. I did think initially that I could work my way around any body but following the DPR study that was published yesterday, decided to err on the side of caution since I would have been making an entire shift to mirrorless. If it didn't work out it would have been a not too inexpensive journey back.....

Keep enjoying your X-T2. :)

With the way XT1's are not exactly being snapped up lately I am pleased to be parting with mine tomorrow for £400 in part exchange plus the Fuji £100 extra for the XT2 I am picking up from my local LCE in Gosforth Newcastle !
......and for the same reason I won't even think about selling the PRO2 !

Last edited:
Thanks Glen and yes I need that assurance of tracking and AF. The AF of the 5D3 is out of the 1Dx and I would have thought the Mk lV compares well with the 1Dxll

Many thanks for your observations. I did think initially that I could work my way around any body but following the DPR study that was published yesterday, decided to err on the side of caution since I would have been making an entire shift to mirrorless. If it didn't work out it would have been a not too inexpensive journey back.....

Keep enjoying your X-T2. :)

I've only got an X-T1 as well as a 1Ds2 and 1D4. The initial AF "grab" is certainly not as quick with the X-T1 and for continuous AF tracking (panning) the EVF blackout can drive me crazy. However, I rarely get an out of focus shot on the X-T1 whereas with the DSLR's it is a common occurrence. I take far less shots with the X-T1 as I pretty much know they'll all be in focus, with the DSLR's I take way more to edge my bets. I might get a shot with the DSLR's (even if out of focus) that I wouldn't get at all with the X-T1 (as it hunts for AF) so it changes the way I shoot. I still haven't sold my Canon gear although it has rarely been used over the last two years, I'm deciding now which setup to sell... I've been trying to work out which for a while!

Last edited:
I've only got an X-T1 as well as a 1Ds2 and 1D4. The initial AF "grab" is certainly not as quick with the X-T1 and for continuous AF tracking (panning) the EVF blackout can drive me crazy. However, I rarely get an out of focus shot on the X-T1 whereas with the DSLR's it is a common occurrence. I take far less shots with the X-T1 as I pretty much know they'll all be in focus, with the DSLR's I take way more to edge my bets. I might get a shot with the DSLR's (even if out of focus) that I wouldn't get at all with the X-T1 (as it hunts for AF) so it changes the way I shoot. I still haven't sold my Canon gear although it has rarely been used over the last two years, I'm deciding now which setup to sell... I've been trying to work out which for a while!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience Julian. I was thinking initially that I could work around the camera and hopefully bring the best out of it for the work that I do.

However if it does hunt for AF and per DPReview, it needs to acquire AF before it starts to track, then I may run the risk of missing the moment which currently with my brace of 5D3s I don't think I do or they are within reason, kept to a minimum. It's the added weight that I could do without. I would also miss my favourite lens, the 50L.

I'm not sure about maintaining two systems ( for me ) either as there appears to be a learning curve with the X-T2 but more importantly, given the way the camera works with the current lens lineup, better with a subset than with all, ( again per DPR ) I would find it a risk I could not possibly accommodate into my way of shooting. DPR also did say that with complex scenes, the X-T2 because it relies on the depth distinction between a subject and its surroundings, would find it difficult tracking or holding onto AF such as targeting an eye on a face or a person in a scene with other subjects. I finally tracked a display unit available for playing with at Calumet Drummond Street and will try to get down there to see how the camera works. Who knows what may transpire down the line but the DPR study has had been thinking to the extent of withdrawing my gear from the sales forum, at least for the time being.

All my best. :)

Last edited:
I think for critical shooting, especially if it's for paid work, high-end DSLRs are still the best option and you can put all your trust in them.

The X-T2 is (by all accounts - I've never seen one) a big improvement over the X-T1 and may be fine for 90% of people. It probably is a learning curve with the custom AF settings and possible that after some trial and error the user would find a setting that works.

The other thing to consider is that Fuji will probably bring a firmware update to the X-T2 at some point in the future that improves AF tracking even further. My bet is that in 2-3 years an X-T3 will finally catch up with the best DSLRs in AF.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience Julian. I was thinking initially that I could work around the camera and hopefully bring the best out of it for the work that I do.

However if it does hunt for AF and per DPReview, it needs to acquire AF before it starts to track, then I may run the risk of missing the moment which currently with my brace of 5D3s I don't think I do or they are within reason, kept to a minimum. It's the added weight that I could do without. I would also miss my favourite lens, the 50L.

I'm not sure about maintaining two systems ( for me ) either as there appears to be a learning curve with the X-T2 but more importantly, given the way the camera works with the current lens lineup, better with a subset than with all, ( again per DPR ) I would find it a risk I could not possibly accommodate into my way of shooting. DPR also did say that with complex scenes, the X-T2 because it relies on the depth distinction between a subject and its surroundings, would find it difficult tracking or holding onto AF such as targeting an eye on a face or a person in a scene with other subjects. I finally tracked a display unit available for playing with at Calumet Drummond Street and will try to get down there to see how the camera works. Who knows what may transpire down the line but the DPR study has had been thinking to the extent of withdrawing my gear from the sales forum, at least for the time being.

All my best. :)

I completely agree, Fuji from what have seen do not rest on their laurels as Canon and Nikon do who primarily just fix what they've broken or never worked, it's what I liked about Olympus too.

I do find it interesting the levels it's being compared to, D750 and 5D3 sure, but 1D, D5 really! It's the same with lenses, look at previous comments, 100-400 compared with 400 2.8, I know it's the only choice on Fuji but still a bit of a difference especially price wise.

In the future hopefully the big third parties will come on board and more options become available.

I do think though that Fuji will improve both body and lenses via firmware and the AF will improve further

I completely agree, Fuji from what have seen do not rest on their laurels as Canon and Nikon do who primarily just fix what they've broken or never worked, it's what I liked about Olympus too.

I do find it interesting the levels it's being compared to, D750 and 5D3 sure, but 1D, D5 really! It's the same with lenses, look at previous comments, 100-400 compared with 400 2.8, I know it's the only choice on Fuji but still a bit of a difference especially price wise.

In the future hopefully the big third parties will come on board and more options become available.

I do think though that Fuji will improve both body and lenses via firmware and the AF will improve further

Thing is for what i shoot its what i use so the only thing i can compare it to in my line of work is the 1D series cameras and primes.

As a backup and easy carry version i still use a 7DMKII with a 100-400 MKII on race day as a grab and go setup and in all fairness i think its the best comparison and fairest you will get against the Fuji.

If you care to read my comment about the 400 f2.8 again you may understand that i ment that the glass is the limiting factor between the two bodies.

In all fairness to the X-T2 i think it does very well and do know of some professional motorsport photographers that are also making the change for a more portable option to run alongside their normal kit.

Sorry I wasn't having a pop, and always appreciate any feedback, it was more the level it's being compared at, which is if you think about it quiet a compliment to Fuji

+1 with Johns comments above.

The T2 is a great bit of kit and as a general shooter I am really pleased with it. Knowing that Fuji will support the kit, listen to users comments, make firmware improvements where possible is way more than a "nice to have".

Sorry I wasn't having a pop, and always appreciate any feedback, it was more the level it's being compared at, which is if you think about it quiet a compliment to Fuji

No worries and for me i think its really a great step in the right direction with the X-T2 and that it will give a lot of the current cameras a good run for their money now in good light.

Which will hopefully kick Nikon and Canon into gear.

Just look at MagicLantern to see what a canon can do with the hardware they have, I think the main two are just lazy, or worse holding back to sell future bodies

Last edited:
My biggest problem with them is they dont seem to listen to what people want or need in all honesty unlike Fuji and seem to be going backwards.

The way Fuji listen and implement firmware updates is excellent along with the fact i actually enjoy using the camera again both on a personal and work basis,its actually fun to shoot again.

Lets face it though, for what Nikon and Canon do well they are really the only game in town now and don't need to innovate or develop at the same pace that mirrorless seems to be doing so.
Theres a certain core of customer that has no option but to buy either Nikon or Canon because the alternatives just don't exist elsewhere, Sony has given up on DSLR with only EVF options for the A99ii and A77ii and their main focus on the A7 line which AF wise is even further away from being suitable for Pro work than the Fuji XT2.

Nikon/Canon have the safety net of knowing that there isn't anyone new coming into their DSLR market, Sony were probably the last ones who looked like they might make a decent stab at it but have all but given up and Fuji or Olympus are mirrorless only, Pentax are probably closest but only ever seem to have a very niche appeal.

Until any of the mirrorless bodies (Fuji or Sony) can fully and entirely compete with the Nikon D5, Canon 1D, Canon 7D, Canon 5D IV, hell even the Nikon D750 then theres always going to be a market Nikon/Canon and exploit without really innovating, I would love to see a Nikon FF Mirrorless system though!!

I've only got an X-T1 as well as a 1Ds2 and 1D4. The initial AF "grab" is certainly not as quick with the X-T1 and for continuous AF tracking (panning) the EVF blackout can drive me crazy. However, I rarely get an out of focus shot on the X-T1 whereas with the DSLR's it is a common occurrence. I take far less shots with the X-T1 as I pretty much know they'll all be in focus, with the DSLR's I take way more to edge my bets. I might get a shot with the DSLR's (even if out of focus) that I wouldn't get at all with the X-T1 (as it hunts for AF) so it changes the way I shoot.

This is an interesting point, sub-consciously I did exactly the same but I've never given it proper thought. I've shot weddings with my D750s and X-T1s/X-T10s and I never questioned the Fuji's AF acquisition. That said, I find the Nikon's a lot easier to work with, particularly considering battery life, a) because they go forever, and b) because you get an accurate warning well in advance of it giving up.

The D750 (with lenses micro-adjusted) is absolutely bang on 99% of the time, but even so I don't feel as confident and usually shoot extra to cover my back. I really, really miss the EVF and the benefits that gives. I'm hoping the X-T2 has closed the gap enough to consider moving back when the price has come down a bit (I don't mind changing batteries a lot as long as I'm given more than a 30 second warning).

Back