The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

My 'walkabout' lens is the 24-120mm f4 which gives a combined weight of 1550g vs 930g for the XT1 with 18-135mm and I do notice that extra 600g, but we'll see. It might not be as bad as I think ;)

I use to take my D750 with the 24-85 Lens on holiday never had a problem.. I started to man up and to stick to one system now :)

Nothing for now tbh. The Fuji was my 'lightweight'/travel option but I think next time I go away for the weekend/go on holiday I'll take the D750 and see how much of a PITA it is. If it proves to be too bulky/heavy as I think it will be I'll have to rethink my lightweight option. I may go back to Olympus but who knows ;)

A6000 could be an alt.

Blackrapid strap kinda solve the weight problem. When I go to Hong Kong the D3 plus 28-70 f2.8 is massive for what I'm shooting. The XT1 and my 18 and 35mm will be easier, specially in crowdy areas.

Yep then Black Rapid was how I solved the weight issues I had, right back on the Canon with sigma 150-500, top choice and works a treat - the D750 + 24-120 was light as anything.

Toby, which lens were you shooting with, there are some suggestions that certain (zoom) lenses are more prone to the effect, I'm not sure how this would be possible, but the internet is full of wild rumours!!!! But I'm also sure that if you do plump for the Nikon 58mm f1.4 as hinted at on another thread, you will be in a world of pain, a lens that is optimised to produce aesthetically pleasing images doesn't sound like the right lens for you!!!!!
I've had it with both the 18-55mm and 18-135mm so I don't think it's lens dependant tbh, plus some people don't seem to see it. Rocks and certain foliage seem to be my biggest bug bear. It's a shame as I think it renders people beautifully, and skin tones are great. However, I do take far more landscapes than I do people so I have to bear that in mind.

I wasn't being serious about the 58mm, I can't justify an outlay like that for a lens I wouldn't use much. But I think the 58mm would suit me perfectly tbh for the very reasons that you suggest (y)

I use to take my D750 with the 24-85 Lens on holiday never had a problem.. I started to man up and to stick to one system now :)

Blackrapid strap kinda solve the weight problem. When I go to Hong Kong the D3 plus 28-70 f2.8 is massive for what I'm shooting. The XT1 and my 18 and 35mm will be easier, specially in crowdy areas.

Yep then Black Rapid was how I solved the weight issues I had, right back on the Canon with sigma 150-500, top choice and works a treat - the D750 + 24-120 was light as anything.

I have a nerve injury and muscle issues in my shoulders which means that I have to take these things into consideration unfortunately. I can get away with it for so long (and can happily carry the D750 and Tamron 150-600mm for half a day or so), but if for example I was to be carrying the camera every day for a couple of weeks I could easily run into trouble. I've tried just about every sling strap going and finally settled on the peak design. It's massively better than a neck strap, but prolonged use can still be an issue.

Ah, in that case something like the Fuji setup really is your best option, unless you could find that mythical pocket camera I keep on hoping exists.

Ah, in that case something like the Fuji setup really is your best option, unless you could find that mythical pocket camera I keep on hoping exists.
Well I was looking forward to the Nikon DL's but I've still not seen a release date. That being said, I tried the RX100-III and G7x and neither were good enough. For me the best compromise is the Fuji and Olly. I only sold the Olly as I was struggling to justify having that much money tied up in something that only gets used less than a handful of times/year, but then I've only gone and done the same with the Fuji :facepalm: :LOL:

Last edited:
Well I was looking forward to the Nikon DL's but I've still not seen a release date. That being said, I tried the RX100-III and G7x and neither were good enough. For me the best compromise is the Fuji and Olly. I only sold the Olly as I was struggling to have that much money tied up in something that only gets used less than a handful of times/year, but then I've only gone and done the same with the Fuji :facepalm: :LOL:

Bloody hell those dls still not out yet. Nvm by the time they are out well see the g7x4 and rx100xii.

haha, quality systems do cost...

Been messing about with the xpo-1 for a couple of days now - [thanks to Damien Brown :) ] And have found a few weaknesses on it, toward the XT-1. Manual flash being one, it doesn't seem to want to offer me any options to shoot my third party, cheapy flash trigger. It just won't fire it :/ also MF lenses work a lot better on the XT-1 too, it's got more options and a better EVF. So it'll be the pro1 with my 35mm 1.4 attached mostly [the other thing I noticed is the AF is nowhere near as nippy] while the T-1 will house my MF lenses and off-cam flash. For now. But very happy having the extra body. It's a lovely camera to hold and use [though I'd prefer more of a grip] - still much prefer the XT-1 though.

I have a nerve injury and muscle issues in my shoulders which means that I have to take these things into consideration unfortunately. I can get away with it for so long (and can happily carry the D750 and Tamron 150-600mm for half a day or so), but if for example I was to be carrying the camera every day for a couple of weeks I could easily run into trouble. I've tried just about every sling strap going and finally settled on the peak design. It's massively better than a neck strap, but prolonged use can still be an issue.
You should see a good chiropractor ;)

:plus1: While I'm generally fairly happy with what LR/ACR does, I'm interested to test this one out...

Had a quick go last night and couldn't see a huge difference to Adobe, although LR needed lots of sharpening. Need to test on more on landscapes.

I wouldn't recommend the a7r due to shutter shock (really obvious) and loud shutter. IMO, obvs!

I have to agree, the original A7 might be the better option, it was a pretty small package when paired with the 35mm f2.8 or 55mm f1.8 lenses.
The second generation bodies were better including ergonomics but at the expense of a bigger body.
Once you start getting the fast lenses the size/weight advantage is less.

I have to agree, the original A7 might be the better option, it was a pretty small package when paired with the 35mm f2.8 or 55mm f1.8 lenses.
The second generation bodies were better including ergonomics but at the expense of a bigger body.
Once you start getting the fast lenses the size/weight advantage is less.

Err the a7r is the same size as the a7. Didn't everyone tell you that about the a7rii when you were a Sony guru?

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend the a7r due to shutter shock (really obvious) and loud shutter. IMO, obvs!
I thought the shutter shock problem was blown out of all proportion? My first Em5-II had shutter shock so I sent it back, the second one was just fine. It's a weird phenomenon o_O

I thought the shutter shock problem was blown out of all proportion? My first Em5-II had shutter shock so I sent it back, the second one was just fine. It's a weird phenomenon o_O

It might have been slightly blown out of proportion but the problem did exist under certain conditions.
For landscapes you can always use a tripod to mitigate any shutter shock on the original A7R.

Nice when things go quickly - thats the XT2 + Grip gone and the Samyang 12mm reserved.

Just the 56mm f1.2 and Samyang 85mm f1.4 to go :D

Have you considered an x-70?
No I hadn't, interesting looking camera but the fixed 18.5 (28mm) just doesn't do it for me, I need a fair bit of flexibility - nice to see the APS-C in a point and shoot though.

No I hadn't, interesting looking camera but the fixed 18.5 (28mm) just doesn't do it for me, I need a fair bit of flexibility - nice to see the APS-C in a point and shoot though.

There two crop modes that work really well. 23mm and 35mm I think

Looks like I'm about to become a fully paid up member of this forum.

Despite vowing allegiance to my X30 I've gone and ordered a XT10 and 18-55.

Might have to sell the X30 but will hang on to the Nikon stuff.

Was so much wanting to like this kit but now I have it in the hand I'm really not sure. Should have thought it through first, but between the X30 for portability and the ease of use of the Nikon I'm not sure where the XT10 fits for me.

I was intending to out the X30 for the better quality of the XT10, but now realise by the time I get ready for a day out shooting, (carry strap, alternative lens in bag etc) I might just as well man-up and carry the Nikon.

I appreciate I've not given the XT10 much time but to have to RTFM to simply find PASM modes came as a surprise. Remembering the rest of the set up is likely to require me to undertake brain training exercises first.

I have the rest of the weekend to decide but at the moment I think it will be going back to Fuji on Monday. Such a shame really, but at least I tried it.

Was so much wanting to like this kit but now I have it in the hand I'm really not sure. Should have thought it through first, but between the X30 for portability and the ease of use of the Nikon I'm not sure where the XT10 fits for me.

I was intending to out the X30 for the better quality of the XT10, but now realise by the time I get ready for a day out shooting, (carry strap, alternative lens in bag etc) I might just as well man-up and carry the Nikon.

I appreciate I've not given the XT10 much time but to have to RTFM to simply find PASM modes came as a surprise. Remembering the rest of the set up is likely to require me to undertake brain training exercises first.

I have the rest of the weekend to decide but at the moment I think it will be going back to Fuji on Monday. Such a shame really, but at least I tried it.

They're not for everyone. I have a like..meh..like relationship with my X-T1.
Persevering though..meh..like..

Thanks, i'm hoping to persuade wifey to "let" me hang a triptych of them on the landing (we have the perfect white wall ready to go!)

Will use that one, The Shard...

and maybe this one (which I forgot I had also done)...

Cracking images love the top one in particular!
I would certainly be hanging it on my wall for sure :)(n)

Problem is that I shoot a lot between 1/60th and 1/125th and I simply couldn't get sharp shots handheld at those speeds.

Since my trip to Scotland & the Lakes in November I haven't had much time to get out with the camera. Here's a few from a walk around WWT Barnes over the festive period.

reed01 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

leaf by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Dead_Flower by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

It's such a joy to take the X-T2 out with the kit 18-55, it's so light and compact compared to my Canon gear.

Since my trip to Scotland & the Lakes in November I haven't had much time to get out with the camera. Here's a few from a walk around WWT Barnes over the festive period.

reed01 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

leaf by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Dead_Flower by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

It's such a joy to take the X-T2 out with the kit 18-55, it's so light and compact compared to my Canon gear.
Nice colours and textures - I like these.

Back