The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I've been trying out X-Transformer as well. You can get more detail, but the sharpening is to much for me even at low setting. It gets very noisy in the out of focus areas. It wouldn't really show in print, so not a massive thing and I'd use it for that. I won't use it for anything web sized, as it doesn't make a great deal of difference at that size and just makes the workflow longer. I won't use it for high ISO images either. The sharpening really doesn't work well there, so you end up controlling that in LR anyway. I find LR noise processing better as well. It's still only at beta stage though!

If I shot landscapes I'd likely use it more. The detail it brings out is better and from what I have seen the lens correction is really good as well. I've seen examples of it improving corners quite a lot.
I kind of agree. But generally I find it easier a lot of the time to sharpen and then deal with the noise in the sky and water than to be really careful about where I sharpen :) I find Dfine very good for that. So a bit of noise I don't mind. It's when the sharpening starts to do odd things with out of focus highlights that I have a big problem, because that's much harder to fix.

I kind of agree. But generally I find it easier a lot of the time to sharpen and then deal with the noise in the sky and water than to be really careful about where I sharpen :) I find Dfine very good for that. So a bit of noise I don't mind. It's when the sharpening starts to do odd things with out of focus highlights that I have a big problem, because that's much harder to fix.

So do I, which is why I prefer Lightroom sharpening with the mask function. Although X-Transformer brings out more detail, most of my shots are people and whilst hair can look great skin can look rough. I probably need to use the smooth setting more though rather than detailed. For the price it's a no brainer to add it to the toolset as far as I am concerned.

Cold London by Brian M, on Flickr

X-T10, 16-55mm.

Thanks for all the nice comments guys.

First outing with my new 16-55mm and, whilst it's noticeably bigger and heavier than the 18-55mm, I still found the package very portable (compared to my Nikon D800!). No tripod with me so this was balanced on a post! Lightly edited in Lightroom, then Nik Color Efex & Nik Define via Photoshop.

Just trying out the old X Transformer plugin. I've deliberately chosen an image with fine details, noise and blurry bits!

First up, iridient DNG as imported and after turning all the sharpening off in LR.

iridient1.JPG

Comparing that with the Raw:

iridient2.JPG

Raw vs JPG:
iridient3.JPG

And finally iridient with noise reduction up to 50 vs jpg:
iridient4.JPG

Looks like it should be capable of matching the Fuji Jpg after getting the hang of it and tweaking, but seems a lot of hassle to go through just to match something that comes straight out of the camera!

Thanks for all the nice comments guys.

First outing with my new 16-55mm and, whilst it's noticeably bigger and heavier than the 18-55mm, I still found the package very portable (compared to my Nikon D800!). No tripod with me so this was balanced on a post! Lightly edited in Lightroom, then Nik Color Efex & Nik Define via Photoshop.
I sold my 16-55 a few weeks ago and replaced with a 23 1.4 and 56 1.2. I've ended up selling the 56mm and buying another 16-55 from mbp. Came yesterday and looks like it's never been used. Think someone may have bought it for the double cashback then traded it in!!

My copy of the 23/2 appears fine. It's soft at f/2 if you shoot objects around 30cm away though.

Edit: AF is lightening quick and silent as well. But it's an odd shape :D
Thanks for the feedback which seems to fit with comments elsewhere. I agree the shape is a bit odd - just as I found the Olympus 45mm on M43 a bit odd.

That's clean

I thought I was having a bad day, then I spotted this guy going down Town Falls in Llangollen the wrong way up...

He ended up popping his deck and going for a swim, but came out OK the other side.

CDB-7.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Trevor

Thanks George a gentleman as always

Thanks Keith and sorry just just habit.

Thanks mate
I can only agree with all the both, plus bonus points for going and finding the snow, as it hasn't exactly been thick on the ground (groan!) :D

Love it. What do they make there? Reminds me weirdly of my old Engineering class in secondary school :D

Hi Keith it's all iron castings they do usually once a week.everything from bookends to House plagues.and coasters.
They are then cleaned and finished where they then go to on sale in the museum shop.
It's worth a phone call to the museum before hand if you want to visit as they only have two guys working in the foundry and your not guaranteed the pour will be on :)

Last edited:
Strewth Stephen. Did you work there? Half my family have been in there at one time or another.
Yes, in the 70s. Most of the time I was in truck service at Chorley, but spent time in the engineering drawing office at Centurion/Spurrier, and latterly in the computer department at Bamber Bridge which kicked off my career in IT.

Both my brothers in law worked at Centurion/Spurrier, and one of them is on the news clip that's always shown about the place.
My grandfather was a tennant farmer and was kicked off to make way for the ROF at Euxton. They found him a job making tanks during the war. Good for us becuase we had Centurion wheel bearings as steelie marbles when we were kids!
Did you know there's a Centurion tank on a roundabout near Leyland?
Leyland, Lancaster and Bowland (05).jpg

Both my brothers in law worked at Centurion/Spurrier, and one of them is on the news clip that's always shown about the place.
My grandfather was a tennant farmer and was kicked off to make way for the ROF at Euxton. They found him a job making tanks during the war. Good for us becuase we had Centurion wheel bearings as steelie marbles when we were kids!
Did you know there's a Centurion tank on a roundabout near Leyland?
View attachment 93711
Must be a fairly new monument! Last time I was in Leyland was on a classic car rally about 13 years ago. Took my Rover P6B round the test track, where I had learned to drive HGVs in 1976.

Must be a fairly new monument! Last time I was in Leyland was on a classic car rally about 13 years ago. Took my Rover P6B round the test track, where I had learned to drive HGVs in 1976.
Ah, the test track. When we were kids it had mystical properties. We always wanted to get onto it but it has 15ft high walls round it. It's still there now albeit derelict.
There was talk that British Cycling Federation were going to take it over as a pemanent cycling facility but that came to nothing.
It's now in ruins but you can get into it if you know where to go. Go soon before it crumbles completely.
Peter Sutcliffe lives by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr

Back