The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I agree with both the above! Maybe it's just because of the good control of dynamic range, but I think it has a slightly HDR look...but HDR "done right" rather than the mess some people produce!

Thats very nice David saw the sky looked promising but was round my daughters for a late lunch so couldn't get out. Well done Sir.

Thanks! I cut it a bit fine, didn't get there until nearly 4, but glad I made a bit of an effort. Later shots were a bit more abstract that I intended, because it turned out the clouds were moving more than I realised...you live and learn...

Thinking about buying a wider angle lens guys.

Between the 16mm and 14mm which ones do you recommend for more architecture and interiors shots?
Had the 16mm but swapped it for the 14mm. But for everyday shots prefer the 10-24. That doesn't help, does it?

it doesnt :p

I want prime because i don't like having zooms xD

If you want WR or f1.4 and can live with 2mm less wide then buy the 16 otherwise buy the 14mm or if you want to wider or so end less buy the Samyang 12mm, they are all good lenses

Quick question has anyone tried an info-red filter on there XT-2? Think of picking a cheaper 830mm one up.

The Fuji sensors (unmodified) are not very sensitive in the IR, so an 830nm will require long exposures just about all the time, if you want to use handheld then you will either be shooting wide open or at high ISO, f8 with a 830nm even in bright British sunshine will require a tripod!!!! Also many Fuji lenses gave fairly vicious hot spots, in my experience 14mm and 18-135mm lens are best

The Fuji sensors (unmodified) are not very sensitive in the IR, so an 830nm will require long exposures just about all the time, if you want to use handheld then you will either be shooting wide open or at high ISO, f8 with a 830nm even in bright British sunshine will require a tripod!!!! Also many Fuji lenses gave fairly vicious hot spots, in my experience 14mm and 18-135mm lens are best

Thanks David I do have a little XE-1 converted to infa red with a 720mm filter but just fancied picking up a 830 filter to have a go with the XT-2 when I don't have the XE-1 with me on landscape trips so the tripod use wouldn't be to much of an issue, Normally use the 14mm for infa red and like you say it works a treat.

Very Adams-esque, nice!

You have a spot on your sensor though. Left of the highest peak

Cheers Keith got rid of the spot now on the picture and the sensor.

Nice spot! No wait...that doesn't sound right...

:LOL:

A few taken from my wander around a relatively quiet Glasgow this morning. Inspired by our very own @ashtennisguru

Curved Glass Building
by Ian Williams, on Flickr

Don't Look Up

Angular Architecture

Sky Reflections 2

It was so peaceful, I may just make it a regular trip...if 'er indoors lets me of course :D

Thanks

Ian

first 2 are lovely Ian,

If you want WR or f1.4 and can live with 2mm less wide then buy the 16 otherwise buy the 14mm or if you want to wider or so end less buy the Samyang 12mm, they are all good lenses

Thank you, I am still confused but I will be testing next week both and hopefully make a decision.

I am also looking into see how the upcoming 50mm f2.0 performs! I need a portrait lens

A few taken from my wander around a relatively quiet Glasgow this morning. Inspired by our very own @ashtennisguru

Curved Glass Building

Don't Look Up

Angular Architecture

Sky Reflections 2

It was so peaceful, I may just make it a regular trip...if 'er indoors lets me of course :D

Thanks

Ian

Glad to have been inspirational :)

First 2 are crying out for an attempt at strong b/w conversion

@Ian W - Hmmm, tips hey... I'm no expert, but as a good starter if you have PS, make a selection of the building and copy it to a new layer - then you can process the sky and building separately and get some good contrast between the sky and the building. I also tend to find pushing the white slider in LR quite hard for the building helps create good contrast and draws the eye to the building.

If you don't have PS available I'll happily have a play on your behalf if you're happy to share the raw file

@Ian W - Hmmm, tips hey... I'm no expert, but as a good starter if you have PS, make a selection of the building and copy it to a new layer - then you can process the sky and building separately and get some good contrast between the sky and the building. I also tend to find pushing the white slider in LR quite hard for the building helps create good contrast and draws the eye to the building.

If you don't have PS available I'll happily have a play on your behalf if you're happy to share the raw file

My only tip would be that Silver Efex Pro is now free… and many people consider it the best for mono conversions.
Thanks guys. I have PS and Silver Efex Pro so may have a play about later. I always find that the Fuji JPEGs tend to be a nicer B&W conversion than anything I can do [emoji3]

I may just give it a bash later, Ash! Any tips?

I totally agree with Dave, get silver efex, easy as anything and produces great results, also make sure you use the adjustment dropper things

FYI (for those who don't know) you can create a new layer via selection in PS and then use the filter menu to edit that selection in silver efex (or any other Nik programme) and it will apply only to that layer. That way you can edit different selections in different ways to create a stronger image.

@Ian W - just for fun I had a play with the jpeg from your flickr - quite a cool effect can be achieved, but I won't post it here (don't want to steal your thunder). Have some fun with it and show us what you come up with.

Last edited:
just for fun I had a play with the jpeg from your flickr - quite a cool effect can be achieved, but I won't post it here (don't want to steal your thunder). Have some fun with it and show us what you come up with.

Tried PS but my old laptop just doesn't cut it. Here's my first effort with Nik Silver Efex Pro. Anything like you managed yourself, Ash? (I'm curious so feel free to post your effort too)

Moody Curves

@Ian W - nice job mate.

I had a go with some screen grabs from your flickr and came up with these quick and dirty edits... (these are also screen grabs, so not saved in any quality)

[
Screen%20Shot%202017-01-16%20at%2021.48.13_zps0eknwy9h.png

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-16%20at%2021.38.42_zps1zk0lbrc.png

Last edited:
How do people go about swapping in the trading section. Do you just trust them to post the item?

@Ian W - nice job mate.

I had a go with some screen grabs from your flickr and came up with these quick and dirty edits... (these are also screen grabs, so not saved in any quality)

[
Screen%20Shot%202017-01-16%20at%2021.48.13_zps0eknwy9h.png

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-16%20at%2021.38.42_zps1zk0lbrc.png

Pretty good for a quick and dirty edit! I particularly like the second one. Can see this becoming a bit of a thing for me now haha. Love the effect and experimented with split toning and different colours within Silver Efex. There's so much choice and variation available when it comes to B&W editing. Who knew!

^^^ Yeah, I think the second one has some mileage in it given a bit more time - my selection was very quick and not particularly accurate, so with a bit of time spent doing it well with the original file I think there's a really, really good fine art style image in there.

It's definitely a thing for me - it's a style I've always enjoyed looking at and am now really enjoying producing.

Thinking about buying a wider angle lens guys.

Between the 16mm and 14mm which ones do you recommend for more architecture and interiors shots?

I love the 10-24mm but I also have the 14mm and 16mm primes If you can get the zoom it would be my first choice TBH :):fuji:

Back