The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Any flash stand will work, your flash shoudl have come with a plastic foot which has a tripod mounting thread in the bottom, so you can use a tripod as a stand if you want. One thing you will want to brush up on is Guide Number (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guide_number) which is the relationship between your flash power and your aperture and working distance. Shutter speed does not come into it for flash only photos, but if you want to balance with daylight then you will need to consider it - since you'll be limited in possible shutter speeds set your daylight portion of exposure up first, so for example with your dog set him up so that your background is exposed as you want then transfer your now fixed aperture into your guide number calculation and set the flash power accordingly. The last bit can be done by trial and error easily enough.

To illustrate what I mean, here is one of my landscapes using flash. I first set the exposure to expose the building and the general background nice and dark, done by chimping it in this case, then I grab the flash, point it where I want to illuminate, I.e the foreground bottom left, and shoot. I just repeated the lat bit until I was happy with the intensity and spread from the flash and called it a day. Obviously the more you do it the easier the latter becomes to guesstimate off hand.

View attachment 97568
Very dramatic love it !

Quick snap of my daughter today as my mom wants a more up-to-date picture of her grandkids (son won't let me post his pics on the web any more...). XT1 and 56mm

1703_Soph_020 by Ian, on Flickr

Cracking portrait a BIG (y) up super shot and a beautiful young lady

I've processed some of the images from the 25mm lens. It's really nice for portraits - sharp in the centre, good pop and easy to work with. It looks great on the camera too! Soft at the corners and vignetting wide open, but for the proce (I got it for £64 delivered) it's a steal!

Sample image, probably f4 or 5.6
20170311225010_dscf2458.jpg

Spot on timing and a great captured moment !

OK, so I lied. I may have a shot or two more from Pembrokeshire :). This was a pain to process because the light was quite bright (the only time in my entire trip!) and I didn't use a polariser to control the reflections off the rocks. But it turned out OK eventually...

Barafundle Bay
by David Hallett, on Flickr

Another lovely piece of work Alan well composed and a gr8 range of tones.

Well, tested the Samyang 12mm at lunch in Birmingham Cathedral and can't believe the quality!

Makes me wonder if I've got a duff 18-55mm.

Well impressed.

All shots SOOC via wifi to my iPhone so not full size.

Could have made it easier on myself by remembering to remove the CPL!!!! Doh!!

Samyang 12mm Test 1 by Terence Rees, on Flickr

Samyang 12mm Test 2 by Terence Rees, on Flickr

Samyang 12mm Test 3 by Terence Rees, on Flickr

Cracking set Terry I must return there soon I was born and raised in Birmingham and only visited the Cathedral last year for the first time,
Love these shots.
I can only hope my 12mm performs as well.

Breia;

Breia by Macvisual Photography, on Flickr

XT1 - XF56 - 2.8

Stunning capture and detail Peter with that lush 56mm f1.2 sadly mine got damaged and the courier UK mail who collected it from Fuji to return to me lost it :(:eek::crying::help:
But the outstanding service, help and support from the everyone at Fuji was faultless in every way.
Sadly replacement stock of the XF 56mm f1.2 was not available :(
So they emailed and then phoned and offered me a XF 56mm f1.2 APD lens which arrived today :banana::clap::runaway: :fuji:
Im still a little stunned by everything Fuji have done to help me in both trying to track my lens at the UK mail depot sadly I was bombarded by Large Pork Pies from the staff there :eek: even to the point of them telling Fuji later that day they had found the package would be delivered the next day ! That was last Tuesday so once again I tried tracking my lens.
Only for it not to arrive and suddenly a message appeared on there site stating delayed ! Delivery rearranged by recipient ? Really I hadn't had any contact with them.
So later that day I called Fuji who said they would speak to UK mail and get back to me, when Fuji called me back they told me it had been lost ! What again I think not as I had the feeling the day before UK mail were telling me Pork Pies and even to Fuji.
Fuji then contacted me again and said they would make the claim against UK mail and said they would send me a replacement XF 56mm f1.2 they later that day called me to say it was out of stock at present and only the APD version was available :( Oh well I thought at least it is going to be replaced even if I do have to wait.
But to my surprise a email the following day was received offering me the APD if that was acceptable that was followed by a phone call from Fuji asking if I had picked up my email and would I like the APD lens as a alternate replacement !

Last edited:
Well its not a "full" return to Fuji but I've decided I'm finally going to do what I've wanted for a while and run my full frame Pentax K1 alongside a minimal Fuji line-up too and I've listed a lot of my Pentax glass on Ebay to raise funds, really intending only to keep the 24-70 and maybe my 15-30 if it doesn't sell.
Will allow me to focus that setup on the one thing I struggled with on the Fuji and thats landscapes... but will let me have a Fuji (undecided on X-Pro 2 or XT2) with a couple of primes for those days I don't need to lug the full frame kit and don't "need" 36mp....

Cool welcome back to the Fooj fold Chris its not been the same with you not here :)
Im still running my D810 along side the Fuji's but the Nikon gear is spending more time at home than me and I have been pretty much House bound since the end of November with a few exceptions when friends have taken me out.

Stunning capture and detail Peter with that lush 56mm f1.2 sadly mine got damaged and the courier UK mail who collected it from Fuji to return to me lost it :(:eek::crying::help:
But the outstanding service, help and support from the everyone at Fuji was faultless in every way.
So they emailed and then phoned and offered me a XF 56mm f1.2 APD lens which arrived today :banana::clap::runaway: :fuji:
Im still a little stunned by everything Fuji have done to help me in both trying to track my lens at the UK mail depot sadly I was bombarded by Large Pork Pies from the staff there :eek: even to the point of them telling Fuji later that day they had found the package would be delivered the next day ! That was last Tuesday so once again I tried tracking my lens.
Only for it not to arrive and suddenly a message appeared on there site stating delayed ! Delivery rearranged by recipient ? Really I hadn't had any contact with them.
So later that day I called Fuji who said they would speak to UK mail and get back to me, when Fuji called me back they told me it had been lost ! What again I think not as I had the feeling the day before UK mail were telling me Pork Pies and even to Fuji.
Fuji then contacted me again and said they would make the claim against UK mail and said they would send me a replacement XF 56mm f1.2 they later that day called me to say it was out of stock at present and only the APD version was available :( Oh well I thought at least it is going to be replaced even if I do have to wait.
But to my surprise a email the following day was received offering me the APD if that was acceptable that was followed by a phone call from Fuji asking if I had picked up my email and would I like the APD lens as a alternate replacement !
Result!

Now you're on speaking terms with fuji tell thrm to bin ukmail and use DPD.:)

Last edited:
Excuse the selfie, i'm my only model. I've been trying to use natural light and spot metering.
Basically learning what my X-T1 can actually do. ( GAS curbed due to lack of funds, therefore I'm RTFM )
This was converted to Mono using Silver Efex.
Also, plastic face/ or soft focus. Still to work out if this is face detection or something else.

Selfie2.jpg

Last edited:
Mine arrived quicker than i expected but it's probably a lottery. I'm looking to acquire a Zuiko 24mm 2.8 MC but it may take a little patience to acquire one without paying over the odds. One thing you need to watch out for with wider angles is collision between the rear element of the lens and the front of the LTII at longer focus. I made my 28mm work by shimming the LT lens mount, which also made the focal markings on the levers more accurate. YMMV, and you may as well try the Hoya as you have it. But i would suggest putting it on initially at the closest focus point, and then lengthen it carefully and see whether you get to infinity, and where.
The Lens Turbo has just arrived, so first-off I tried it on my Hoya 24mm in OM mount. No issues at all with the rear element hitting the converter. However, it focusses way past infinity. So tried it with an Olympus 100mm, and again it focusses past infinity. Which would suggest that the OM-EOS adapter is slightly too thick. Surprising as it's a quality adapter - K&F. No big deal for me; I'll just have to remember not to focus using the lens scale. I can't try it with any other lenses at the moment as it's the only adapter I have till my M42 arrives. Next up is to try it in the field and examine the results.

Just a candid street style Fujigraph taken at Folkestone UK of a couple out strolling. I kinda like the look on the guys face as if he's saying was it somethin' I said.

X-T1, 55-200mm Lens, 1/280th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld.
Strolling (1)-03100 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

Last edited:
Cracking sharp shot George.

I need to save for this lens.

Many thanks for that Sir. much appreciate your comments.(y)

"The 55-200mm Fuji lens has always been one of my fav's, its very sharp and has excellent OIS"

George.

Just a thought - seeing cracking shots through the EVF and then noticing afterwards that the images of moving objects looked blurred is probably nothing to do with type of focus. It maybe you wanted to open up the aperture a bit and bump up the shutter speed? The loose focus might just be down to a bit of movement at those speeds?

If you not gonna shoot a fast shutter speed on moving targets, and you are in close, you will need to play around with panning.

PS You mentioned you can't zoom in close enough to check focus. Did you press the focus assist which will zoom you right in? If it's to far using even focus assist then you are shooting a long way off and simply closing down the aperture as far as you can, and shooting as fast as you can, will freeze a car that far off (except maybe in the dark of night). Do you have an example shot of what you mean? That would help me work out what you could do in future.

Many thanks for your reply Souldeep. Heres an image, unedited and shot in raw. I aim to go back to the track in a couple of weeks time and really keen not to make a hash of it then! Not sure what the focus assist is? Can you tell I new to this camera!!
_DSF1259 by ImagesbyP, on Flickr

Just a candid street style shot taken of a couple out strolling. I kinda like the look on the guys face as if he's saying was it somethin' I said.

George.
Your obtaining great images with that XF55-200mm George, quality glass and a very versatile lens. I love mine also!!!!

Regards;
Pete

See above JJ

I shoot motocross occasionally and would suggest that 1/500th sec is too slow unless you deliberately want to introduce motion blur into your pictures. My minimum shutter speed would be 1/1600th sec but higher if conditions allow. This would be my approach to all machine and animal sports.

Your obtaining great images with that XF55-200mm George, quality glass and a very versatile lens. I love mine also!!!!

Regards;
Pete

Many thanks for that Sir, much appreciate your comments.(y)

George.

Now you're on speaking terms with fuji tell thrm to bin ukmail and use DPD.:)

LOL yes we did have that conversation :)
Hence my Lens came RMSD next day :banana:

Many thanks for your reply Souldeep. Heres an image, unedited and shot in raw. I aim to go back to the track in a couple of weeks time and really keen not to make a hash of it then! Not sure what the focus assist is? Can you tell I new to this camera!!
_DSF1259 by ImagesbyP, on Flickr
Everything else looks sharper than the biker, whih would tend to suggest it's motiob blur. Looks a little tight to be using af-s there anyway, surely they're down below the bank just before coming into shot so you get no time to "aquire" them... I'd just manually focus to 6ft or so past the peak and be done with it.

Just a candid street style shot taken of a couple out strolling. I kinda like the look on the guys face as if he's saying was it somethin' I said.

George.
That's nice George. I really should use mine more often.

You've done well to catch them both with a foot off the ground (crucial to convey that they are infact walking). I particularly like the light around his upper half, really stands out against the darker background, almost looks like a bit of natural rim lighting.

The Lens Turbo has just arrived, so first-off I tried it on my Hoya 24mm in OM mount. No issues at all with the rear element hitting the converter. However, it focusses way past infinity. So tried it with an Olympus 100mm, and again it focusses past infinity. Which would suggest that the OM-EOS adapter is slightly too thick. Surprising as it's a quality adapter - K&F. No big deal for me; I'll just have to remember not to focus using the lens scale. I can't try it with any other lenses at the moment as it's the only adapter I have till my M42 arrives. Next up is to try it in the field and examine the results.
It could be the adapter. Try a few different ones if you have that option. However, my experience is that the LTII was built this way on purpose, to ensure that every lens would be able to get infinity focus, as that's more of an issue. As I say, I ended up taking mine apart and shimming the mount (I used thin card) and it's now a lot closer to accurate. Doing this is not complicated - the main challenge is cutting the shim parts to fit the mount correctly.

It could be the adapter. Try a few different ones if you have that option. However, my experience is that the LTII was built this way on purpose, to ensure that every lens would be able to get infinity focus, as that's more of an issue. As I say, I ended up taking mine apart and shimming the mount (I used thin card) and it's now a lot closer to accurate. Doing this is not complicated - the main challenge is cutting the shim parts to fit the mount correctly.
If anything mine would require grinding thinner! It will be interesting to see how it handles my incoming M42 adapter; either way it's not a problem as long as it focuses to infinity, which it surpasses!

Back