The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Thank you Sir, I really appreciate your comments.(y)

"Unfortunately I don't get very much time for street photography which I love doing, and for me is a great way of chilling out away from work (that's not photography related)"

George.

Agreed, that's what I do, turn the phone off, grab a camera and go walking [emoji4]

Agreed, that's what I do, turn the phone off, grab a camera and go walking [emoji4]

I don't have a problem with the phone Sir, as I must be one of the very few people these days that doesn't have a cell phone of their own.:D(y)

George.

If you guys were to have just 3 lenses on this, which 3 primes would you get?

It doesn't have to have Fuji on the label.

Sorry, yet another collie dog shot from me... I love Fuji's 1:1 ratio

Untitled by Macvisual Photography, on Flickr

XF100-400 - @ f/7.1 - handheld @ 1/25th

I love that face she always pulls, so poised and focused on you... And those little white eyebrows make her look like a criminal mastermind from an old scooby doo cartoon.

16584112e1be433b546a3c2e07c35f7e.jpg

Last edited:
What is 1:1 ratio?

It's not a macro lens...
Nope, it's not a macro lens, I used the Fuji XF100-400mm zoom lens for this collie dog image above.

You can access a few different ratio settings within the camera menu, there's 3:2 standard, then a 1:1 ratio for a square format (as above), and a 16:9 ratio for a wide rectangle format.........very versatile indeed.....!

Love Fuji I do.

Not sure if this should be in the PS thread or this but as its a Fuji thread should be ok, had a long chat with Bert Stephani today then listened to his 1 lens 1 camera talk, what a really nice guy and some great photos.

then bumped into Ben Cherry,such an enthusiastic Fuji shooter and another really nice guy. and a quick exchange with Matt Hart,plus a chance to try a lot of Fuji glass and latest cameras including the GFX,very impressive and last but by no means least
that beautiful pixie model on the podium posing hmmm

Kevin Mullins and Damien Lovegrove were there for the taking too but couldn't take my eyes of the Pixie model lol

I've never been to those Photographic Shows, are they worth the visit Chris..? Is it huge with many stalls I take it..?

:)

The show was good. Fuji's stand was really interesting. I managed to try the X-Pro 2 for the one hour walk Fuji organised with Kevin Mullins and got to try the lovely GFX (amazing image quality). Fuji were offering free sensor cleaning as well.

I've never been to those Photographic Shows, are they worth the visit Chris..? Is it huge with many stalls I take it..?

:)
you would enjoy it Peter.it is pretty big yes but I've never been to another similar so cant compare but its my third year and i do enjoy it.

I know exactly where he's coming from. I have similar misgivings.

No doubt I'd trade my XT-1 for a 2 in a heart beat, but I wouldn't pay the difference. I'd rather have an extra couple of lenses, I always thought of lenses > body. The new updates for the XT-2 might bump it up more, but end of the day, the XT-1 is just as capable. What you never had, you don't miss, like the thumb stick and quicker AF

Can I take a better picture with an X-T2 than an X-T1 - unlikely, but the X-T2 is IMO a nicer user experience

Its all about value for money really, and how that matters to the individual, I suspect that many X-T1 owners (happy ones at that), will 'upgrade' to the X-T2 when the X-T3 is launched and an X-T2 can be bought for £500. I wasn't going to change, but I got offered a good deal, went for it and haven't looked back.

Can I take a better picture with an X-T2 than an X-T1 - unlikely, but the X-T2 is IMO a nicer user experience

Its all about value for money really, and how that matters to the individual, I suspect that many X-T1 owners (happy ones at that), will 'upgrade' to the X-T2 when the X-T3 is launched and an X-T2 can be bought for £500. I wasn't going to change, but I got offered a good deal, went for it and haven't looked back.

When they drop to £500 I would definitely have one :D Price is the key here I think. Is it worth triple the amount? Or say the cost of a used XT-1 plus 35 F2 and 55-200?

If that photo scenario requires snappier, more accurate af then you probably will get a better photo with the t2.

Agreed.
The T1 is a good camera and will do most of what is needed. But the T2 goes a significant bit further down the road and is just so much easier to handle.
I went out with both bodies the other week. Had a lens on each but there's no question of which was the easier to handle, especially when it went dark and I was using the camera by feel only. I finished up with just one lens on one body but it was the T2 that I opted for.

The one thing which is stopping me reverting to the T1 and realising some cash is the joystick for the focus point. I simply never used the D pads but use the stick frequently.

The one thing which is stopping me reverting to the T1 and realising some cash is the joystick for the focus point. I simply never used the D pads but use the stick frequently.

Just shy of a grand for a joystick, hmmm ... I'll manage without :D

There's ways to improve the D-pad on the T-1, cheap and simple too.

I just haven't bothered because I don't actually get the fuss about it. I can still change focus point when looking through the VF no problem. It just took a little getting used to.

Looked up this 'Sugru' - an Irish invention as it happens - You can get a 3-pack of different colours for under €12 delivered. I might actually give it a go some time.

Could be useful for other bits and bobs too https://sugru.com/buy

Last edited:
Personally for my use I think the XT2 was night and day better than the XT1 I tried before, the AF joystick was part of that but an ever larger bit of it was the speed of operation, the X-Pro 2/XT2 were the first mirrorless bodies that actually feel as quick to operate as a DSLR and thats massive as far as I'm concerned.

The jump to 24mp also seemed to quell most of my concerns over image quality and the "painterly" thing (although its still an issue for landscapes for me).

Just shy of a grand for a joystick, hmmm ... I'll manage without :D

There's ways to improve the D-pad on the T-1, cheap and simple too.

I just haven't bothered because I don't actually get the fuss about it. I can still change focus point when looking through the VF no problem. It just took a little getting used to.

Keith it isn't 'just about' the joystick AF, there are a lot of things IMO that are better on the X-T2

1) AF Speed
2) Zone Focus Modes
3) Higher Resolution - can offer more cropping options as well as the obvious high res images
4) Dual Card Slots - gives peace of mind
5) Better Shadow Recovery
6) Better at High ISO, I've had decent images at 12,800, which I couldn't get on the X-T1
7) ACROS - very good, very film like at High ISO

For me its just a much better user experience, and I certainly enjoy using it more than the X-T1, not that the X-T1 was a bad camera, for me the X-T2 is 'just better'

Back