The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

If you guys were to have just 3 lenses on this, which 3 primes would you get?

It doesn't have to have Fuji on the label.

Something I've been pondering actually as I decide whether to keep the XT2 I bought long term as partner to my K1 or ultimately get rid and join the wait list for the X100F!

Personally I'd have one of the 23mm lenses as a starter, probably the 23 f1.4, and either a 56mm or 90mm for length, the new 50mm might be an option too but I don't think its out yet.
At the wide end my personal favourite was the 16mm f1.4, its a stellar lens however the 14mm gets excellent reviews and at 21mm full frame equivalent is just that little bit wider, you can't rule out the manual focus Samyang 12mm either if you don't mind manual focus that is!

All in thought I'd probably go for 16/23/56...... or I might just pick up an X100F...

Keith it isn't 'just about' the joystick AF, there are a lot of things IMO that are better on the X-T2

1) AF Speed
2) Zone Focus Modes
3) Higher Resolution - can offer more cropping options as well as the obvious high res images
4) Dual Card Slots - gives peace of mind
5) Better Shadow Recovery
6) Better at High ISO, I've had decent images at 12,800, which I couldn't get on the X-T1
7) ACROS - very good, very film like at High ISO

For me its just a much better user experience, and I certainly enjoy using it more than the X-T1, not that the X-T1 was a bad camera, for me the X-T2 is 'just better'

1) Doesn't bother me much, I've not found the XT-1 lacking for my needs and I shoot small birds and cats :D
2) meh, single point focus has yet to fail me, XT-1 has enough focus options besides, again, for me
3) I had a 36mp FX camera ... I don't feel I'm missing anything from that bar crop-ability, and that used to make me lazy
4) one slot is all I ever needed. The D800E had both SD and CF slots, I stuck a CF card in the 2nd slot and never actually made use of it.
5) Not had any issue with losing detail in shadows to date
6) I don't ever want to shoot at 12,800 ISO no matter the camera, I rarely if ever go above 3200, and the XT-1 is capable enough at that
7) If I'm doing B&W, I'm processing from scratch, always

Last edited:
Just shy of a grand for a joystick, hmmm ... I'll manage without :D

There's ways to improve the D-pad on the T-1, cheap and simple too.

I just haven't bothered because I don't actually get the fuss about it. I can still change focus point when looking through the VF no problem. It just took a little getting used to.

Looked up this 'Sugru' - an Irish invention as it happens - You can get a 3-pack of different colours for under €12 delivered. I might actually give it a go some time.

Could be useful for other bits and bobs too https://sugru.com/buy
I have tried Sugru and never managed to mould it into anything less than an alien blob! Nor can I get it to stick to anything but my fingers.

I have tried Sugru and never managed to mould it into anything less than an alien blob! Nor can I get it to stick to anything but my fingers.

It has to set for 24hrs he says. It would take a bit of resisting, I could just use the pro1 in the mean time

What made me upgrade to the T2 was the improvement in AF speed with the intention to shoot fast moving subjects this year.

It has to set for 24hrs he says. It would take a bit of resisting, I could just use the pro1 in the mean time
I repeat. I have tried it, following the manufacturer's instructions. I couldn't mould it without it looking like a children's plasticine dinosaur. Maybe you can do better. You're welcome to the unopened packets I have stored in the fridge (as advised) if the wife hasn't thrown them out.

I repeat. I have tried it, following the manufacturer's instructions. I couldn't mould it without it looking like a children's plasticine dinosaur. Maybe you can do better. You're welcome to the unopened packets I have stored in the fridge (as advised) if the wife hasn't thrown them out.
If there's any black left can I have some?

But you didn't say the first time you followed the instructions :p There's probably better stuff that would do same job out there. Maybe getting the kids to do it is the key!? :D

Last edited:
But you didn't say the first time you followed the instructions :p There's probably better stuff that would do same job out there. Maybe getting the kids to do it is the key!? :D
I've read that those tiny beads that you stick on things for indeterminate reasons are as good or better. Still prefer the joystick though.
And no use asking the brats. Both in Australia.

Just had a rummage in the fridges, and under close questioning wifey admitted to throwing it out as she was fed up of the swearing. Sorry.

Not to worry. I'll just have to spend the kids inheritance on some of my own.

I've read that those tiny beads that you stick on things for indeterminate reasons are as good or better. Still prefer the joystick though.
And no use asking the brats. Both in Australia.

I used those stick on beads on my legacy body. They come in lots of pretty colours to indulge your artistic fantasy. They work well except on the four control buttons where sugru rules supreme.

My friend send his XT1 back to Fuji for new door new rubbers and they also raised his Dpad profile free.updated his firmware and gave it a good clean.
he immediately traded it in for an XT2 but great service from Fuji

Personally for my use I think the XT2 was night and day better than the XT1 I tried before, the AF joystick was part of that but an ever larger bit of it was the speed of operation, the X-Pro 2/XT2 were the first mirrorless bodies that actually feel as quick to operate as a DSLR and thats massive as far as I'm concerned.

The jump to 24mp also seemed to quell most of my concerns over image quality and the "painterly" thing (although its still an issue for landscapes for me).

:plus1: to all of that Sir.(y)

George.

This just reminded me that I still have some in the fridge somewhere...! I have sugru on the X-T1 to make it a bit more tactile.

Fuji X-T1
by jj_glos, on Flickr

The joystick on the X-T2 is so much better though, it also means that you get the four pad buttons back for other uses as well so it really improves the handling for me.

My next one will be the 56 :D

Just bought the VPG for my x-t2 today. I need a new battery as well. Do you guys recommend only the official ones ? Cause I have two official the S version and I don't know if it's worth it to give 50£ more for another one. Cheers people

My next one will be the 56 :D

Just bought the VPG for my x-t2 today. I need a new battery as well. Do you guys recommend only the official ones ? Cause I have two official the S version and I don't know if it's worth it to give 50£ more for another one. Cheers people

If you're not shooting video then the Ex-Pro White are the ones to go for, Amazon sell them.

:plus1: to all of that Sir.(y)

George.

It's amusing the XT-2 users going through their justify-the-price moments :D "night and day" ... any direct sample images I've seen between them had negligible differences, and the joystick ... again, €1K worth? I think not.

It's amusing the XT-2 users going through their justify-the-price moments :D "night and day" ... any direct sample images I've seen between them had negligible differences, and the joystick ... again, €1K worth? I think not.

Give it a rest........its getting tiresome now, there are people out there who like the X-T2 and there are people who like the X-T1, you yourself said that its a cost issue, so don't milk a non story......

That is related to the temperature that the battery's reach right ?

The S battery has better cooling characteristics when being pushed hard, in normal shooting any of the W126 batteries are fine, and of the third party ones, Ex-Pro are fairly universally reckoned to be the best, I have two S's and a several Ex-Pro's they all work fine.

I've been using the whites but Amazon are selling 2 chilli powers for £8.99pr. They work equally as well, I bought 10:whistle:
I've not had good service from Chilli batteries. Lose their charge whilst unused quickly and eventually don't even hold charge in camera.

I've not had good service from Chilli batteries. Lose their charge whilst unused quickly and eventually don't even hold charge in camera.
I've not had any problems yet. They've not had time to sit unused though, they've been used until flat, charged and popped back in the cameras on my xpro1s.

Last edited:
I had a play with the XT2 at the show. Obviously I couldn't test AF-C properly, but initial lock on was noticeably better than the XT1, but you all knew that already didn't you ;) The same was true of the EM1-II over the EM1.

The S battery has better cooling characteristics when being pushed hard, in normal shooting any of the W126 batteries are fine, and of the third party ones, Ex-Pro are fairly universally reckoned to be the best, I have two S's and a several Ex-Pro's they all work fine.

I will buy one of the Ex pro so... and give it a try.

That ex pro that you mention are the white ones?

Got a bit confused because on Amazon they have white and black version and I cant seem to find the difference.

Last edited:
Back