The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I'd sooner the speed and better low light performance of the 18-55mm over 2mm st the short end (I'd rather zoom with my feet than bump up the ISO to compensate for a smaller maximum aperture).

What's the difference in weight? Can't be that much surely, and I prefer the more solid feel of the metal vs plastic).

310g vs 195g

£479 vs £229.97 (or £289 for mk II)
f2.8-4 vs f3.5-5.6

edit: found this :)

Also 2mm at the wide end is a lot more than at the long...

fov_a.jpg

..and I won't start on zoom with feet vs compression ;)

All that said I'd probably go with the 18-55 out of those two, but went for the 18-135mm myself for teh extra reach\usability, but thats a different price range again.

Last edited:
I have good samples of both and the 16-50 mkii is my preferred choice, slightly sharper in the centre, but not as good at the very edge

Last edited:
The 18-55 has an aperture ring. The 16-50 has to be controlled by a thumbwheel, which to me is counter-intuitive. Your experience may vary.

Total opposite preference here, wish I had that option on every Fuji lens, find it so easy to change with my thumb.

18-55 is even more frustrating with no marked stops and how easy it is to change accidentally (have sorted that with a rubber band fix)

I think the ois on the 16-50 mkii is more effective than the older 18-55, maybe that needs an upgrade. Still can't work out the thinking behind omitting ois on the 16-55?

Last edited:
Total opposite preference here, wish I had that option on every Fuji lens, find it so easy to change with my thumb.

18-55 is even more frustrating with no marked stops and how easy it is to change accidentally (have sorted that with a rubber band fix)

I think the ois on the 16-50 mkii is more effective than the older 18-55, maybe that needs an upgrade. Still can't work out the thinking behind omitting ois on the 16-55?
Unfortunately it is not possible to have marked f stops on a variable-aperture lens. But I don't know why the 10-24 doesn't have them.

Considering an A3 printer but unsure about cost vs just occasionally getting somethng sent off - what are your thoughts\recommendations?

Considering an A3 printer but unsure about cost vs just occasionally getting somethng sent off - what are your thoughts\recommendations?

Waste of money and space was the conclusion I came to when considering an A3 printer. Factoring in the initial cost, inks and paper it seemed very extravagant for the amount it would probably be used.

I won't buy an A3 again too much of a pain in the bum to keep running at good quality and too expensive for A3 paper and gallons of ink. Might look at A4 again soon but I'd have to do loads of research 1st

Likewise. I'm still intrigued by the Fuji Instax SP2 mind you.

I have a Canon Selphy printer, fun to watch the photo appear as it passes in and out of the printer, nice quality too.
Where is it now? yep gathering dust in the wardrobe unused for the last year or so

My daughter has just bought one of those Instax cameras at the photography show, think that might share the same fate

well.... thats pretty unanimous :)

for once I'll bring good news from the forum to my wife :banana:

I have a Canon Selphy printer, fun to watch the photo appear as it passes in and out of the printer, nice quality too.
Where is it now? yep gathering dust in the wardrobe unused for the last year or so

My daughter has just bought one of those Instax cameras at the photography show, think that might share the same fate
The exact reason I haven't bought one (yet) [emoji23]

I have both and use them. Haven't done costings for A3+ prints but FOR ME, that's not the point. IMO the immediacy of digital is to a large part negated by waiting for prints to come back from whoever you choose to do them for you so being able to get big prints within a few minutes of taking the shots (or at least getting home with the cards!) makes whatever the costs worth it. The Selphy gets used on holiday for creating postcards from my own shots as well as doing prints of shots for friends over there. Last time I costed them, they worked out at about 22p/print which is cheaper than a bought postcard. While neither experience can truly replicate the magic of seeing a wet print appear in a smelly tray, watching the white paper go in (and out and in and out and in and out and in) and out is as close as I can get these days.

lol, seriously I'm crap - just ordered an A4 one... a Canon PIXMA iP7250

Need to find a load of nice A4 frames now.

Last edited:
lol, seriously I'm crap - just ordered an A4 one... a Canon PIXMA iP7250

Need to find a load of nice A4 frames now.

I have one of those, prints come out very nicely albeit rather noisily.

It was your reply on another thread that made me go for it :)

It was your reply on another thread that made me go for it :)

Lots of pressure now, hope you like it, no frills, but does the job, even better comes with a good helping of ink to start with.

Have to admit I use third party inks, been buying from these people for about fifteen or more years http://www.prink.co.uk/canon-pixma-ip7250-ink-cartridges.php
No blockages or fading that I have noticed, genuine inks are prohibitively expensive for a hobbyist like me

Likewise. I'm still intrigued by the Fuji Instax SP2 mind you.
I really love the idea of these little instant printers, but the cost per print is absolutely crazy, especially when they aren't the best quality and just meant for a bit of fun.

I really love the idea of these little instant printers, but the cost per print is absolutely crazy, especially when they aren't the best quality and just meant for a bit of fun.
Yeah I know what you mean. Sure I read it works out around 70p per print on top of the printer purchase price [emoji33]

Having just bought one I can say its a very good lens and wouldn't disgrace the 24mp of the XT-20. Optically I'm not sure the 18-55 is much better

Last edited:
I'm after getting some Godox flashes for use with my X-T20

I know currently they don't have any TTL flashes and that it would be manual but I've seen this set

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282406464185

Fuji rumours says that an x1 trigger is in the pipeline. If so would this setup work if I bought the correct trigger later?

Alternatively this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262251915249

I know it would be manual only but it seems good value for what you get and I would just need to practice using manual flash.

Any other ideas?

@robsea (and @ChrisH and @Thunderbird010) my train to Piccadilly for the Fire Station trip gets in at 12.15 and the return leaves at 16.38.
I'd already booked before Rob said he wanted to come, and my tickets are not refunable or changeable. If you want an earlier meet I could try and rebook an earlier train - the fare I'd lose would only be £3. Let me know when you know your train times.

@robsea (and @ChrisH and @Thunderbird010) my train to Piccadilly for the Fire Station trip gets in at 12.15 and the return leaves at 16.38.
I'd already booked before Rob said he wanted to come, and my tickets are not refunable or changeable. If you want an earlier meet I could try and rebook an earlier train - the fare I'd lose would only be £3. Let me know when you know your train times.

@mickledore no need to change Frank, my train doesn't get in till 11.30am.

I normally drive but will get the tram to Piccadilly though this time so will just meet you at Piccadilly when your trains get in. Not had any confirmation or anything other than the PayPal payment so assume we just turn up.

I saw something - on the booking page, I think - that indicated he would be in touch a few days before. I'm off with SWMBO this Saturday, so I'll know the full score by then.

Back