The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Slow autofocus , not weather sealed , noise focusing

Is not as noisy as you think it is. My 18mm f2 is noisy compare to the 56mm f1.2. Not sure do you need weather seal for shooting portrait. At least i won't shoot portrait in heavy rain, sand storm etc. The focus is not that slow, plus you not shooting action with this lens .....

its not lightning fast or weather sealed. on the x-t2 its fast enough. its very, very sharp wide open. f1.2 is going to give you a lot more in low light than the 50 f2 will. i haven't used that lens so can't comment on it.

obviously this shot doesn't demonstrate its focus speed.

20170520-DSCF0332 by Jonathan Howes, on Flickr

Again, what are you shooting?

If you are shooting portraits with it, which I take it with a model, standing around, probably in good dry weather or indoors, i am not sure how any of that matters?

What are you shooting with it?

Focus is not THAT slow, i mean it is slower, it has more glass but its not that slow.

As for noise, I don't notice it, its nothing like the 35/1.4.

6QT9Doy.jpg

Last edited:
Some good stuff being posted in here lately guys. I've managed to keep my GAS in check and stuck with the X-T10 (so far anyway).

Back from a break in Crieff, here's a few mono edits of shots taken whilst I was away. None that I was ecstatic about, but I just love using the Fuji and can't wait to get out with it again.

Falls of Dochart
by Ian Williams, on Flickr

Loch Earn

Mirror Man @ Loch Earn

Cheers

Ian

Some good stuff being posted in here lately guys. I've managed to keep my GAS in check and stuck with the X-T10 (so far anyway).

Back from a break in Crieff, here's a few mono edits of shots taken whilst I was away. None that I was ecstatic about, but I just love using the Fuji and can't wait to get out with it again.

Falls of Dochart

Loch Earn

Mirror Man @ Loch Earn

Cheers

Ian

Really liking your PP here, what program are you using?

Caught;

Caught by APM Photography, on Flickr

This was another 'grab shot' from my recent visit to Glasgow, I don't normally shoot this style but quite enjoyed it. In fact another fellow photographer grabbed this shot also just before me, the Traffic Warden chap never seen us take this which was good skills.

Last edited:
Who else is using some cheap old chunks of glass for their Fuji? I've been pretty impressed with this 200mm F4 Takumar for just messing about shooting garden birds and other random stuff. Got it for €75 which included the metal hood and a sturdy leather case - and with a bit of practice it delivers not too shabby results. Longer MF lenses like this can be challenging, but that's part of the fun, because when you do nail a shot you really feel like you have earned it!

_DSF6796 by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks Trevor, appreciated. Yes the XF10-24mm can be used to extreme wide advantages if required. I really love that lens, very versatile Fooji glass.

I do like a bit of abstract building photography from time to time.

Cheers;
Peter

its not lightning fast or weather sealed. on the x-t2 its fast enough. its very, very sharp wide open. f1.2 is going to give you a lot more in low light than the 50 f2 will. i haven't used that lens so can't comment on it.

obviously this shot doesn't demonstrate its focus speed.

20170520-DSCF0332 by Jonathan Howes, on Flickr

That's one very nice shot Sir, lovely expression & pose, looks great in mono with a good full range of tones.(y)

George.

Falls of Dochart

Loch Earn

Mirror Man @ Loch Earn

Cheers

Ian

Three "Excellent" shots Sir, with first class mono PP work.(y)

George.

Three "Excellent" shots Sir, with first class mono PP work.(y)

George.
Thanks George, and to everyone else for the likes etc.

I'd be interested to know if any think that the shot is over / under exposed as I'm currently using a Dell laptop with a non calibrated monitor. Any feedback at all jist let me know please, it'd be much appreciated [emoji4]

Thanks

Ian

I am sure it will have been discussed st length before, but could I have some thoughts on batteries please? What are people using if not Fuji branded? Any compatibility issues, brands to avoid or recommended ones? How do they compare shots per charge to OE?

I am specifically after N-PW126 equivalents for my X-T20.

I am sure it will have been discussed st length before, but could I have some thoughts on batteries please? What are people using if not Fuji branded? Any compatibility issues, brands to avoid or recommended ones? How do they compare shots per charge to OE?

Expro White. Mine currently lasts longer than the original battery it replaced and no issues whatsoever.

They won't break the bank either.

Thanks George, and to everyone else for the likes etc.

I'd be interested to know if any think that the shot is over / under exposed as I'm currently using a Dell laptop with a non calibrated monitor. Any feedback at all jist let me know please, it'd be much appreciated [emoji4]

Thanks

Ian

They all look spot on to me Sir, I'm on a fully calibrated unit at the moment and I can see good detail in the shadows & highlights with excellent contrast in all areas of tone. Obviously with mono I can't possibly tell you what the colour balance etc is like but mono looks perfect to me.(y)

Hope this helps.,

George.

They all look spot on to me Sir, I'm on a fully calibrated unit at the moment and I can see good detail in the shadows & highlights with excellent contrast in all areas of tone. Obviously with mono I can't possibly tell you what the colour balance etc is like but mono looks perfect to me.(y)

Hope this helps.,

George.
It does indeed, George. Thanks very much for that.

The colour shots will hopefully follow when I get better light [emoji1]

It does indeed, George. Thanks very much for that.

The colour shots will hopefully follow when I get better light [emoji1]

You're very welcome Sir.(y)

George.

I bought 2 extra Ex-Pro black ones for my bodies - didn't know that there was such a thing as white ones until I'd opened and charged them! For my use (no extra grip or high performance use and only short snatches of video), they'll be fine (and have proved so, even in the X-T2) but by all accounts the white ones cope better under the high pressure use that an X-T2 CAN put them through.

Expro White. Mine currently lasts longer than the original battery it replaced and no issues whatsoever.

They won't break the bank either.

Are they OK to replace the NP 126S (as opposed to Np 126)?

Are they OK to replace the NP 126S (as opposed to Np 126)?
I don't think there really is an equivalent to the NP 126S as yet. I'd imagine you'd be fine if not shooting lots of 4K video though. Not sure whether the heat issue is as big in the T20 than the T2 either.

From what I understand, the whites are a 126S copy and the blacks a straight 126. Not sure how much difference the S makes to the X-T20.

From what I understand, the whites are a 126S copy and the blacks a straight 126. Not sure how much difference the S makes to the X-T20.

I thought the whites had been available for a long time- pre 126s?
Yep. I don't think the whites are a 126S copy either, just slightly differently rated by Expro (but still not a 126S equivalent).

I'm a great fan of Ex-Pro batteries, whites in particular. I've had problems with other 3rd party batteries such as Wasabi and ChilliPower, but never with Ex-Pro. However, I don't think they're a direct substitute for the 126S. As far as I know there is no direct substitute. Since I don't do video or use a battery grip that doesn't make any difference to me.

Who else is using some cheap old chunks of glass for their Fuji? I've been pretty impressed with this 200mm F4 Takumar for just messing about shooting garden birds and other random stuff. Got it for €75 which included the metal hood and a sturdy leather case - and with a bit of practice it delivers not too shabby results. Longer MF lenses like this can be challenging, but that's part of the fun, because when you do nail a shot you really feel like you have earned it!

_DSF6796 by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

Hi Keith - I have no current Fuji lenses at the moment. Current line up is Fuji 55mm ( £15 from Shelter ), Samyang 12mm and a Nikon 80 - 200.
Not the fastest line up for sure, but has improved my manual focus skills :)

Lens.jpg

Last edited:
Back