The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

My XT2 is up in the classifieds at £995 just incase anyone is after one and before it goes to a dealer on Tuesday.
And it's a quality one. Extra-specially looked after. Custom tuned. Top-class nick. (it was mine in a previous life!)

Any of you helpful folk tell me which card readers you use to get maximum speed from faster cards? I've got Lexar 1000x and 1800x cards, and don't want to limit them to UHS-1 speeds. Ta. :)

Lexar Professional USB3 Dual Card reader (CF and SD/SDHC/SDXC). Does need a USB3 port to work at its fastest.

Lexar Professional USB3 Dual Card reader (CF and SD/SDHC/SDXC). Does need a USB3 port to work at its fastest.
I have a Kingston MobileLite G3 which plugs directly into a USB3 port on my Anker hub. Takes MicroSD as well (I've just discovered after owning it for over a year!).

I didnt want to say fake ISO, that seems to upset people. Unique as in at high ISO its around a stop behind everyone else at around 6400 ISO.
Ah yes, I've heard this. However any differences in how manufacturers label and measure ISO is irrelevant to me. I'm not really interested in what number is assigned to what value as long as I get the result I want. It would be different if I shot cross -platform at the same time.

Ah yes, I've heard this. However any differences in how manufacturers label and measure ISO is irrelevant to me. I'm not really interested in what number is assigned to what value as long as I get the result I want. It would be different if I shot cross -platform at the same time.

Yeah to some it makes no difference, to me 1 stop is quite a lot at a given shutter speed.

Did anyone else see this article about Fuji batteries? I've no idea if the test is representative of not, or even valid, but if I'm reading the results right, then the Ex-Pro White batteries run a lot cooler than the Fuji originals - not far off the new version either. Might be a good option for someone who casually shoots 4k or in bursts?

http://ultralightphotography.net/ge...g-you-wanted-to-know-about-np-w126-batteries/

I've been a fan of ex-pro whites for a while now :)

Thanks Phil - appreciate the guidance :)

I'm in no rush to upgrade my XT-1 - especially seeing how much it would cost! :eek:
I don't tend to shoot motor sports any more these days but hoping to get some in flight shots of Puffins when I visit Skomer at the end of next month.
So far I'm.not finding the extra cost/ outlay a big gain on what my XT-1s or XT-10 give me but I'm more familiar with them as I can't say I have got to grips properly in all honesty with XT-2

A few landscapes shot tonight on the banks of the Clyde just a few minutes from my home (whilst being attached by swarms of midges may I add). I do love myself the 10-24mm!

UWA Clyde Sunset
by Ian Williams, on Flickr

Pre-sunset Clyde
by Ian Williams, on Flickr

Cheers

Ian
Cracking couple of images (y)
I really want to visit Scotland again !
Only thing that stops me is I,m a midge magnet :(
I got caught out the one time in Wales and was just covered in bites
People were crossing the street when I was making my way to a chemists in Dolgellau but the pharmacist. Had a good chuckle when he caught sit of me:)

All the time, rotating the polariser simply changes its position.

I think Terry means perhaps you should try a linear Polariser
Circular polarizers are used with SLR type cameras. A modern SLR may have trouble with the autofocus system with a linear polarizer. Mirrorless cameras and compacts don't need a circular polarizer.

A circular polarizer is simply a linear polarizer with the addition of something called a quarter wave plate, so the performance, in terms of blocking polarized light, is the same for both.

I was replying to Ian. I don't have a linear polariser to play with, my cpl is part of the firecrest filter holder. The X-T series use phase detection AF as well don't forget. (unless you set some totally non obvious settings of course!)

On the plus side, linear polarizing filters seem to be cheaper than circular.

I was replying to Ian. I don't have a linear polariser to play with, my cpl is part of the firecrest filter holder. The X-T series use phase detection AF as well don't forget. (unless you set some totally non obvious settings of course!)

Oops. That's told me..sorry

Can anyone suggest a small backpack to take an XT-1 +18-135 and a nissin i40 flash and a couple of spare batteries please.
I have a Lowepro Minitrekker AW but its a bit on the big side for not a lot of gear
I have seen the Lowepro Phototraveller 150 which looks about the right size but any comments would be appreciated before I buy yet another bag

Can anyone suggest a small backpack to take an XT-1 +18-135 and a nissin i40 flash and a couple of spare batteries please.
I have a Lowepro Minitrekker AW but its a bit on the big side for not a lot of gear
I have seen the Lowepro Phototraveller 150 which looks about the right size but any comments would be appreciated before I buy yet another bag
I have an F-Stop Kenti in classifieds :)
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/f-stop-kenti-camera-backpack-in-black.655349/

The phase detection via a mirror is the problem on DSLR's and why they need circular polarisers, The Fuji's have the phase detection pixels on the taking sensor so can use linear polarisers.

IMO it's better to have some empty space in a bag than not enough slots to hold your gear. For that small a kit, I would consider something like a TopLoader (LowePro) with the flash at the bottom under the camera.

Thanks for that I had looked but it seems a lot bigger than what I am looking for, but it will be a good buy for someone
No worries. What you want to carry would fit nicely in one side compartment. It does cinch down quite nicely though!

Cracking couple of images (y)
I really want to visit Scotland again !
Only thing that stops me is I,m a midge magnet :(
I got caught out the one time in Wales and was just covered in bites
People were crossing the street when I was making my way to a chemists in Dolgellau but the pharmacist. Had a good chuckle when he caught sit of me:)
Thanks for that :)

I just wasn't expecting the midges to be quite so ferocious, but a low water level and no wind made for the perfect storm of an ideal midge climate.

Ps I live here and haven't seen anywhere near enough of the country! Lots of exploring to be done by me yet.

Go to Eigg, it's too windy for midges! Well mostly :). Here's a bit more of it, this time in minimalist mono

Surface tension
by David Hallett, on Flickr

Now that perhaps should be first place on my visit list I guess ?
I'm told that Avon skin so soft makes a good repellent against midges ?
So I'm gonna stock up on it before my travels if they materialise this year :)

Go to Eigg, it's too windy for midges! Well mostly :). Here's a bit more of it, this time in minimalist mono

Surface tension
by David Hallett, on Flickr
Dave, superb photographic work...!! I love the way the XF18-55mm is working a treat, superb quality glass, excellent results. Very sell'able images...!!!

Peter

I have a feeling the Fuji will eventually bring out a IBIS body, probably this rumored Pro XT body. :D

I have a feeling the Fuji will eventually bring out a IBIS body, probably this rumored Pro XT body. :D

I suspect that 'your feeling' is wrong, Fuji have stated in the past that they cannot do an IBIS body with their current internal camera architecture, so if it was on the table it would be a major redesign not an evolution. If there is a Pro XT body then I expect that it will be aimed at speed shooters, but with only one long focal length lens, they would be better addressing a couple of long, wide aperture primes first.

There is no real need for IS with short shutter speeds, and in dim light situations, IS is only of use when the target doesn't move. Personally it's a bit like 0-60 car times, only good for talk/banter down the pub, and not really that significant in the real world.

HI all, I'm thinking of purchasing the Fuji 35mm F1.4 from Fuji refurbished website. I can't see mention anyway as to whether these refurbished lenses come with the lens hood, caps and the original packaging etc ? Has anyone purchased from the Fuji refurbished store and can comment please ?

HI all, I'm thinking of purchasing the Fuji 35mm F1.4 from Fuji refurbished website. I can't see mention anyway as to whether these refurbished lenses come with the lens hood, caps and the original packaging etc ? Has anyone purchased from the Fuji refurbished store and can comment please ?
You'll get the caps and hood etc no problem. My camera came with a 'Fuji Refurbished' box rather than the original one, but that's no biggie. You may find lenses do come with their original box too, though I couldn't comment on that.

By all accounts, the refurbished lenses are indistinguishable from new, just like the cameras!

Now that perhaps should be first place on my visit list I guess ?
I'm told that Avon skin so soft makes a good repellent against midges ?
So I'm gonna stock up on it before my travels if they materialise this year :)
Eigg isn't the easiest place to get to, with only one ferry a day even in summer (plus a small one from Arisaig) but worth investigating IMO if you're in the Hebrides. Midges don't fly in winds over about 6 mph so avoid sheltered spots and still evenings...

Dave, superb photographic work...!! I love the way the XF18-55mm is working a treat, superb quality glass, excellent results. Very sell'able images...!!!

Peter
Aww. Thanks Peter, very kind comments. Let's hope the "sellable" materialises! :)

Omg this GAS

This week hopefully the cash back promo will start and I will be getting the 56 f1.2.

However just tried the 55-200 amazing lens. So sharp even at 200

The 55-200 is a great lens if you can find a good priced used one. I got a great price on mine, raging I sold it on because I haven't seen one for the same value since [€400/£345] - I sold it to get the 35 1.4 pretty much, which I also love, but I want both. I will be buying another when I can, need to sell a few bits and bobs first. The 56 1.2 looks a stunner, but the 55-200 is actually great for portraits also because of the brilliant OIS. I was able to get sharp hand-held indoor shots at 1/15th [static subjects obviously] which allows keeping the ISO down nice and low

Last edited:
Back