The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

A lovely shot of the sculpture outside the Marlowe. Love your take on it George.

Thank you kindly Sir, I much appreciate you taking the time to reply.(y)

George.

Last night's effort from Portencross Castle.

Portencross Castle LE v2
by Ian Williams, on Flickr

Cheers

Ian

That's very nice Sir, well composed with nice cloud movement, unusual but I'm sure very accurate colour and very nice.(y)

"I wonder if it would look better if the flag pole had been cloned out or shortened a bit as it is a tad tight at the top of the frame"

George.

Last edited:
Good on yer, sold my Giga Pro ages ago and only got the poverty wizards now.

Came back from the chiropodist with my little toe all bandaged up (failed attempt at self surgery on ingrowing toenail) and got the new strimmer out. Put the extra heavy duty line on to sort the brambles out, lent on bad toe and wobbled a bit. Strimmer swung round cutting into my leg just above the ankle, four gashes and bit of blood.
You are a walking disaster area.
Remind me to steer well clear next time we meet.
It's a good job your Thames Forts trip sunk. Who knows what else you might have taken down with it!!!

You are a walking disaster area.
Remind me to steer well clear next time we meet.
It's a good job your Thames Forts trip sunk. Who knows what else you might have taken down with it!!!

Just a bit unlucky sometimes, I must be one of the few people to have broken a heel, now that was bloody painful.

OK @YoshiK1 and @tijuana taxi
I've conducted a not very scientific test on the 603 triggers.
One trigger in my hand. One on the hotshoe wired in. I put my i40 on top of the hotshoe mounted trigger so that I could see when it stopped firing.
The triggers were firing at a distance of 250 feet or some 80 yards. (Sorry, no idea what that is in French). I suspect they may have fired further away, but there was no room for me to any further backwards. Straight line of sight only.
If you are looking for 50 yards then these will easily reach - and my batteries are far from new and are Poundland cheapies not Duracell bunnies.

Must say I am pretty impressed.

One trigger in my hand. One on the hotshoe wired in. I put my i40 on top of the hotshoe mounted trigger so that I could see when it stopped firing.
The triggers were firing at a distance of 250 feet or some 80 yards. (Sorry, no idea what that is in French). I suspect they may have fired further away, but there was no room for me to any further backwards. Straight line of sight only.
If you are looking for 50 yards then these will easily reach - and my batteries are far from new and are Poundland cheapies not Duracell bunnies.

Thanking you for your efforts, that is indeed an excellent performance from the poverty wizards, who needs anything else

Excellent, thanks V much! When you spoke about the jack cable do you mean the 3.5mm jack? What's on the other of of it? Double-sided 3.5mm jack?

The Hahnel one that was mentioned by @tijuana taxi is actually for sale in the Classifieds for £45 new. It's something I'll consider very much! Cheers

Excellent, thanks V much! When you spoke about the jack cable do you mean the 3.5mm jack? What's on the other of of it? Double-sided 3.5mm jack?

The Hahnel one that was mentioned by @tijuana taxi is actually for sale in the Classifieds for £45 new. It's something I'll consider very much! Cheers
Yes. It's a double ended 3.5mm jack. They do two Canon versions. One has this cable, the other has the square connector for the semi pro models. You don't want that.

Don't know much about the Hahnel but it seems a lot more expensive than these. I'll go to my PC and try and dig a link out for what I have. They are common as muck!

Here you are:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yongnuo-R...477645?hash=item25c2d4374d:g:nK4AAOSwHoFXwZTB

Only slightly related but may be of interest...I took these with my X-T1 and the 603 triggers deep underground in the Yorkshire Dales. They worked well down there even in those conditions!

Chris at the top
by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr

Duncan on the climb
by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr

These are quite cool! They look like they should be in a magazine article ;)

Yeah they are much cheaper actually so I'll just go with those :). This is the only link on Amazon I found with the double 3.5mm jack. It's only £1 extra than the one without and without the diffuser. I've still to look on the likes of Ebay etc. Thanks for the heads up!

John Lewis have got a few Fuji lenses in their clearance sale, All silver, but prices are good, 23mm f2 is £309, 35mm f2 is £300 and XC50-230 is £209

JL also give 2 years warranty on cameras and lenses, so can't go wrong really

Saw the JL offers last night but although they had the lenses listed, they seemed to be out of stock.

Last edited:
That's a nice shot Dave. I'm in Mull for a couple of weeks as from Monday, so I too hope to capture such sticks!!
Thanks and sounds very nice! Last time I was in Mull I didn't have a camera with me to speak of, but it's a great place. Have a fantastic time!

So as bit of fun I've bought the K&F concepts Canon FD to Fuji adapter and a cheap Vivitar macro (70-210mm) off of ebay, all for less then 40 quid.
And this got me thinking, Is there any old FD mount lenses that I should look at? More toward macro and portrait lengths?

So as bit of fun I've bought the K&F concepts Canon FD to Fuji adapter and a cheap Vivitar macro (70-210mm) off of ebay, all for less then 40 quid.
And this got me thinking, Is there any old FD mount lenses that I should look at? More toward macro and portrait lengths?

I only have three, 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.8 and they're all ok :D

Ffordes sometimes have old unused stock but of course these may not be at bargain prices.

http://www.ffordes.com/category/Lenses/Canon/FD

I think that bang for buck the 28mm f2.8 and 50mm f1.8 take some beating but I'd also look out for third party lenses in FD mount as there can be some real bargains there. Macro wise I have a Sigma 50mm f2.8 in Minolta mount and it's a true macro whereas some of that era needed a tube to get to 1:1. I've seen the Sigma in other mounts too so if you're interested you could look out for one but some of these lenses are so nice and so cheap that I wouldn't get too hung up on the mount and insist on FD as if you see something nice in another mount you could just snap it up and grab a sub £10 adapter off evil bay :D

Last edited:
Just a simple shot taken at Memphis USA of the front elevation of Graceland from a slightly different angle to the norm'.

X-T1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/450th @ F6.4, ISO-200, Handheld.
Graceland (1)-03135 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

Very nicely taken shot George, good colours too :)

John Lewis have got a few Fuji lenses in their clearance sale, All silver, but prices are good, 23mm f2 is £309, 35mm f2 is £300 and XC50-230 is £209

JL also give 2 years warranty on cameras and lenses, so can't go wrong really

Couldn't resist the 23mm at that price, yes it's Silver, so is my X-E2 and for 100 quid off am I bothered.
Ordered yesterday and delivered free to my local Waitrose today by half eleven, can't argue with that.

First impressions are positive, knew it wasn't great close up, but for normal use so far it seems to be rather good.

Ugly little devil though and the Black hood looks a bit odd, but I bought it to take photos not admire.

Hopefully get out and use it over the weekend and if so will post a photo or two

Did anyone else get any of the sale lenses?

Last edited:
Very nicely taken shot George, good colours too :)

Thank you kindly Sir, I much appreciate you taking the time to reply.(y)

"It's a place we take friends to more often than not when they come to stay with us as it's not too far from our place in TN"

George.

Rocket blower if it's just dry dust. Other marks might need wet cleaning. I usually do the blowing and cleaning in a well lit bathroom once it's dried out after a shower but the dust's still down.

My son went to his school prom last night and his mom insisted on a picture of him looking smart for a change:

Ali-15 by Ian, on Flickr

Not to be outdone, his little sister had some shots of her looking glam taken today:

Soph-8 by Ian, on Flickr

Both natural light, XT1+56mm
Both really good shots there, Ian.

My son went to his school prom last night and his mom insisted on a picture of him looking smart for a change:

Ali-15 by Ian, on Flickr

Not to be outdone, his little sister had some shots of her looking glam taken today:

Soph-8 by Ian, on Flickr

Two very well taken shots Ian, and even better using natural light :)

Two very well taken shots Ian, and even better using natural light :)
I can only use natural light. I've been on courses, taught be experts and still all my flash shots suck. I have one cracking shot of my son lit with a Bowen's light through a soft box but it was blind luck and never to be repeated. I have a house with north and south facing windows so one way or another there is usually decent light to work with. My mother-in-law's place in Italy has the perfect window and the light through that could even make one of my selfies look decent.

Ali-15 by Ian, on Flickr

Soph-8 by Ian, on Flickr

These are both brilliant! The processing suits both shots really well. Plus, as ever, both kids have really cool hair :)

Ali-15 by Ian, on Flickr

Soph-8 by Ian, on Flickr

Both great. But the 1st is really special.

Here's another one with the 12mm Samyang, taken about the same time and place as the other :) Again, very happy with the lens now I'm getting the hang of composing with it.

Nest
by David Hallett, on Flickr

Really great once again! One for the framing shop.

P.s. The Samyang 12/2 is such a great lens! Brilliant value for money. Only slight annoyance is the cooler rendition, though this is easily fixed. Wish I had time to use mine more!

That's pretty stunning Dave

Well seen and taken!

Really great once again! One for the framing shop.

P.s. The Samyang 12/2 is such a great lens! Brilliant value for money. Only slight annoyance is the cooler rendition, though this is easily fixed. Wish I had time to use mine more!

Thank you all, very kind! I don't shoot JPG, except as backup and so that I can zoom in more when reviewing shots, so I haven't really noticed the white balance. Shooting RAW at the end of the day, the WB is always going to be a creative choice, and in this one I deliberately left it just a little blue, rather than making the sand dead neutral.

Here's another one with the 12mm Samyang, taken about the same time and place as the other :) Again, very happy with the lens now I'm getting the hang of composing with it.

Nest
by David Hallett, on Flickr

"Excellent" work Sir, there's nothing more to be said.(y)

George.

Last edited:
Back