The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Looks like a minimalist version version of the Metro Grip I use which wraps around the RHS altogether, extending the thumb rest too. Will get a photo later for comparison if it's of interest :)
Here's the Metro Grip on my X-T10. It's all plastic but very rigid for being so and very light also.

The finish likely isn't quite as good as the Fuji grip, but it's slightly 'grippier' if you see what I mean. Anyway, here 'tis.

Apologies for the crappy phone pics.

Ian

I've been pondering over buying a Fuji and narrowed it down to the X-T20 with a 16-50 kit or possibly 18-55. I currently use Nikon, I have two D750's and various lenses and although i'm not thinking of moving across to Fuji, i just like the retro look and the size of these. I'd prefer the 16-50 kit for price reasons and the extra 2mm on wide end as opposed to the 18-55, but I was wondering what the quality is like? I may even get the body only and get a prime to couple up. Due to the amount of Nikon kit i currently have, i don't want to spend a fortune going down the Fuji path, it's a good quality walk about lens i'm after to go with the body. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Optically both lenses are good, the 16-50 is lighter, plastic bodied, has no aperture ring (aperture adjusted via dial in camera) and doesn't open the aperture as far, the 18-55 goes to F2.8 at wide end, is metal bodied and has aperture ring on the lens.

You spends your money and takes your choice!

I've been pondering over buying a Fuji and narrowed it down to the X-T20 with a 16-50 kit or possibly 18-55. I currently use Nikon, I have two D750's and various lenses and although i'm not thinking of moving across to Fuji, i just like the retro look and the size of these. I'd prefer the 16-50 kit for price reasons and the extra 2mm on wide end as opposed to the 18-55, but I was wondering what the quality is like? I may even get the body only and get a prime to couple up. Due to the amount of Nikon kit i currently have, i don't want to spend a fortune going down the Fuji path, it's a good quality walk about lens i'm after to go with the body. Thanks in advance for any advice.

The 18-55mm is the better of the two, having a metal build, aperture ring and faster max aperture. It's also slightly better at the edges. But...the 16-50mm is not far off optically at all, and is noticeably lighter.

You can't go wrong with either to be honest.

Edit: totally missed the post above!!

Last edited:
I would only go for the 16-50 if money, size and weight are the main factors affecting my decision when choosing between the two.

Whilst waiting for my car to be mot'd I was hoping to get an hour in the docks and do some landscapes and architecture, but the weather wasn't on side with horrible grey skies and flat light. This was the only catch of the day. Now really wishing I'd approached her and asked for some more "staged" photos. Need to work on this whole dealing with people thing.
X-T1, 35mm f/1.4

IMG_0170.JPG

Whilst waiting for my car to be mot'd I was hoping to get an hour in the docks and do some landscapes and architecture, but the weather wasn't on side with horrible grey skies and flat light. This was the only catch of the day. Now really wishing I'd approached her and asked for some more "staged" photos. Need to work on this whole dealing with people thing.
X-T1, 35mm f/1.4

View attachment 106248

Why? I love the photo as it is!

Here's the Metro Grip on my X-T10. It's all plastic but very rigid for being so and very light also.

The finish likely isn't quite as good as the Fuji grip, but it's slightly 'grippier' if you see what I mean. Anyway, here 'tis.

Apologies for the crappy phone pics.

Ian

That's the other grip which caught my eye, looks great. Did you have to import it from the states?

Optically both lenses are good, the 16-50 is lighter, plastic bodied, has no aperture ring (aperture adjusted via dial in camera) and doesn't open the aperture as far, the 18-55 goes to F2.8 at wide end, is metal bodied and has aperture ring on the lens.

You spends your money and takes your choice!

Thanks for the advice, all makes good sense and certainly helps my decision.

The 18-55mm is the better of the two, having a metal build, aperture ring and faster max aperture. It's also slightly better at the edges. But...the 16-50mm is not far off optically at all, and is noticeably lighter.

You can't go wrong with either to be honest.

Edit: totally missed the post above!!

Thanks very much, greatly appreciate the advice.

I would only go for the 16-50 if money, size and weight are the main factors affecting my decision when choosing between the two.

Weight and size are an issue as I want something lighter than the Nikon setup. The added bonus of the saving will steer me towards the 16-50...

Thanks very much for your help guys, I will go for the 16-50, both body and lens in silver. Thanks again :)

Thanks for the advice, all makes good sense and certainly helps my decision.

Thanks very much, greatly appreciate the advice.

Weight and size are an issue as I want something lighter than the Nikon setup. The added bonus of the saving will steer me towards the 16-50...

Thanks very much for your help guys, I will go for the 16-50, both body and lens in silver. Thanks again :)
One thing I can say about Fuji lenses, they are just great no matter what you go for [emoji3]

That's the other grip which caught my eye, looks great. Did you have to import it from the states?
I was actually looking at doing just that before a fellow member (who had imported it) decided to sell his on due to an upgrade.

I purchased second hand from him, but from what he said I'd have no qualms purchasing from abroad and it does make a difference imo.

Got totally stumped today. I now have the money to buy the XT20 for my birthday, then my great Mother said, if you want the XT2 and 18-55mm then she will put the rest of the money to get that. So if you had a choice of a new XT20 or new XT2, what one would you get :)

If you try the EVF of the X-T2 there is no going back....!

And personally I'd have joystick over touchscreen any day, but ymmv

Got totally stumped today. I now have the money to buy the XT20 for my birthday, then my great Mother said, if you want the XT2 and 18-55mm then she will put the rest of the money to get that. So if you had a choice of a new XT20 or new XT2, what one would you get :)

Personally I'd get the X-T2 however if you don't need the extra features then you could settle for the X-T20. I'd compare them and think about the photos you take to see what would better fit. Also try them both out if you can. X-T20 is smaller too so if you've bigger hands it'll be more suited plus the dials make selections easier.

Ha, what a dilemma to have! If you can try them both out in advance, then it's worth doing. I've just replaced my x-t1 with the smaller x-t20...I like the smaller size, but add the grip for bigger lenses. Clearly the x-t2 has some real benefits e.g. joystick, weather sealing, dual card slots, battery grip, larger evf, (far) bigger grip and evf. Depends what feels best e.g. I find the larger evf a bit too big on the x-t1 (and I guess) x-t2.

Personally I'd get the X-T2 however if you don't need the extra features then you could settle for the X-T20. I'd compare them and think about the photos you take to see what would better fit. Also try them both out if you can. X-T20 is smaller too so if you've bigger hands it'll be more suited plus the dials make selections easier.

Cheers Kris, I did have a go with my mates X-T20 some time ago and loved it and I have held the X-T2 and thought that felt nice in my hands. I would use the camera for wildlife,landscape and possible airshows.

Ha, what a dilemma to have! If you can try them both out in advance, then it's worth doing. I've just replaced my x-t1 with the smaller x-t20...I like the smaller size, but add the grip for bigger lenses. Clearly the x-t2 has some real benefits e.g. joystick, weather sealing, dual card slots, battery grip, larger evf, (far) bigger grip and evf. Depends what feels best e.g. I find the larger evf a bit too big on the x-t1 (and I guess) x-t2.

I really have got to have a good think, as in time I might go all in and just have a Fuji set up.

Cheers Kris, I did have a go with my mates X-T20 some time ago and loved it and I have held the X-T2 and thought that felt nice in my hands. I would use the camera for wildlife,landscape and possible airshows.

Sounds like an X-T2 might be your best bet then ;)

X-T2 any day of the week.

If you try the EVF of the X-T2 there is no going back....!

And personally I'd have joystick over touchscreen any day, but ymmv

I have a Panasonic compact with a touchscreen and it's a PITA - my nose keeps selecting different AF points..

Thanks David, I am not fussed about the touchscreen :)

Go for the XT2 [emoji3] you don't want to have the XT20 in your hands only thinking that it could have been the XT2

There are two versions, the original has been discontinued, I don't believe there is any optical difference between the two

Not sure about optical differences, but the second version focuses closer and has better stabilisation. I find it better than the 18-55mm for ois!

Does anyone know how long Fuji take to deliver the refurbished gear from their website ?

I have a T1 here with no lens and its killing me waiting.

Mine took 2 days last week. Plus they emailed me apologising for the delay.

Reactions: GTG
Sounds like an X-T2 might be your best bet then ;)

I'd agree. if you're doing fast shooting then X-T2 for the boost mode with the grip for the faster AF and EVF refresh rate on burst mode.

X-T2 any day of the week.

I have a Panasonic compact with a touchscreen and it's a PITA - my nose keeps selecting different AF points..

Couldn't agree more, but then we are seldom more than 3 yards apart!

That joystick is worth upgrading for on its own.

Go for the XT2 [emoji3] you don't want to have the XT20 in your hands only thinking that it could have been the XT2

Thank you all, I have some serious thinking to do now :)

No you haven't. Not really.
Given the situation you outline you only have one option. And if you don't take then you'll regret it forever;)

You are correct, so I could get the X-T2 + 18-55mm then in a few months I`d like to get the XF 55-200mm :)

OR the X-T2 with the (weather sealed) 18-135 then get the 100-400 when funds allow... :whistle:

Happy birthday for whenever it is BTW!

Thanks David, I am not fussed about the touchscreen :)

Then it's a no brainier :)

Btw I've had both and didn't miss the XT2 evf, but then I don't tend to remember all that well, just pick it up and use it.

All that said I do miss the joystick, but not feeling compelled to use the power grip simply because I'd think it wasn't performing simply because it's better with it, if that makes sense, so that took the small camera feel away... all sorts of fun :D

Oh, as others have said do get the XT10/20 grip if you go 20 it helps a lot and if you've larger hands disable the right cursor

Last edited:
Back