The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I couldn't agree more, not that I'm doing any serious commercial stuff.
I'm really happy with my move, and my back will certainly thank me.
I can't believe the kit fits so neatly into a relatively small bag, I'm a bit of a 'take it all with me' kind of guy so travelling light was never my strong point but after shifting my Canon gear and now not needing a fork lift truck and trailer to move around with, I'm so keen to sling a bag over my shoulder and get out and about again. Feels really good to unburden myself.

I got good advice in this very thread when I was considering the switch from Nikon too, I would never advise anyone to do something I didn't stand by myself :) It was the best move I made personally in years. The fact that I am enjoying my photography once again. The last couple of years with the Nikon I felt frustrated. I felt like I needed to be making money to justify the gear I owned. I was doing weddings and events just because I felt I should , and I wasn't enjoying it. I'm happier with more down to earth gear, and doing the odd portrait shoot for people I know. The odd job here and there that will pay for a flash, or toward another lens, that's all I want outside of it being purely a hobby :)

It was in this thread that I asked about the X-T20 and I too got great help :)

Hopefully this is the right thread, though I don't see the X-T20 camera mentioned.

Hello, I am not a Fuji user, at least not for many years, but I don't if this has been mentioned, but a site called CreativeLive are doing what they call a Fast Start course on the Fuji X-T20 on the 11th Aug. What that is that a chap called John Greengo goes through virtually every setting on the camera, and gives tips along the way.

For those that don't know, CreativeLive is an online video tutorial site on many creative fields, but started mainly as Photography and Image Processing. You can watch any of their courses Live or Re-Broadcast for free, though they make their money from people paying for the videos so they can watch again at their leisure. You sometimes get bonus items such as guides as well as the videos. You do not have to pay anything though. ;) You used to be able to watch unregistered and/or not be logged in, but I am not sure about that, as when the pop up pops up, I log in and continue what I was watching. :D

I have no connection to CreativeLive apart from buying a couple of their courses over the years, including the Nikon D500 Fast Start, but I thought X-T20 users, or potential X-T20 users, may enjoy it. :) And you never know, you may learn something. I know I picked up a couple of tips in the D500 course. :D

Last edited:
That's a lovely well-processed shot. My only nit-pick is the slight distraction of the green algae on the right. Just my opinion. :)

I did think the same, but only just. Toning it down slightly would even it right out [emoji106]

Thanks both, and I know what you mean - I had trouble deciding whether it was a bug or a feature! Believe it or not, it was actually toned down to some degree! But yeah, it probably is a bit unbalanced. Either more vignette or a different crop...

Edit: I couldn't get the crop to work so I went for more vignetting. I think it's an improvement. Thanks chaps!

Flood
by David Hallett, on Flickr

Last edited:
This looks interesting
Hopefully this is the right thread, though I don't see the X-T20 camera mentioned.

Hello, I am not a Fuji user, at least not for many years, but I don't if this has been mentioned, but a site called CreativeLive are doing what they call a Fast Start course on the Fuji X-T20 on the 11th Aug. What that is that a chap called John Greengo goes through virtually every setting on the camera, and gives tips along the way.

For those that don't know, CreativeLive is an online video tutorial site on many creative fields, but started mainly as Photography and Image Processing. You can watch any of their courses Live or Re-Broadcast for free, though they make their money from people paying for the videos so they can watch again at their leisure. You sometimes get bonus items such as guides as well as the videos. You do not have to pay anything though. ;) You used to be able to watch unregistered and/or not be logged in, but I am not sure about that, as when the pop up pops up, I log in and continue what I was watching. :D

I have no connection to CreativeLive apart from buying a couple of their courses over the years, including the Nikon D500 Fast Start, but I thought X-T20 users, or potential X-T20 users, may enjoy it. :) And you never know, you may learn something. I know I picked up a couple of tips in the D500 course. :D
, thanks for sharing the info here.

Cool, don't have one myself, but would like to :)

@Dave70D might well be interested

Is there an Intervalometer/shutter release anyone can recommend for the X-T2? I went out tonight to try a long exposure but was under the impression I would be able to use my phone with the Fuji app but I couldn't even get it to talk to each other.

I needed to do more than 30 seconds but as it happened the tide was in too far and I couldn't get the shot I wanted to try anyway :( took 1 shot at 30 seconds just to try the camera out:

xt2long.jpg

Last edited:
WOW Ian, that is just stunning :)

Like this one very much, exceptional shot!

Agreed, this is most excellent!

Thanks, fellas. Compliments very much appreciated, but the more I look at it the more I'm not quite altogether happy with it. I think it would benefit from being brightened a touch, no?

Oh, and just because I can....here's this evening's effort at nearby Bowling. If you whisper it quietly enough, I'll admit it's even a HDR image (though hopefully not too noticeable!).

Bowling (balls probably float better than these boats)
by Ian Williams, on Flickr

Cheers

Ian

Is there an Intervalometer/shutter release anyone can recommend for the X-T2? I went out tonight to try a long exposure but was under the impression I would be able to use my phone with the Fuji app but I couldn't even get it to talk to each other.

I needed to do more than 30 seconds but as it happened the tide was in too far and I couldn't get the shot I wanted to try anyway :( took 1 shot at 30 seconds just to try the camera out:

xt2long.jpg

Sadly with the Fuji app 30 seconds is the max, I've tried myself to use bulb mode with it, but no go. Looks good for 30 second though, if a bit over exposed.

A couple more artsy nature ones from an evening park walk [while herself was off around for a jog with the kids]

Topping up for Autumn by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

The art of nature 2.8 by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

The art of nature 1.4 by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

#2 & #3 are much alike, 2 was at f/2.8 and I didn't process as hard, #3 at f/1.4 and I just went for a more artsy look. Not sure which I prefer, the 1.4 I think, more of that dreamy look.
The last one gives more presence to the subject.

A couple more artsy nature ones from an evening park walk [while herself was off around for a jog with the kids]

#2 & #3 are much alike, 2 was at f/2.8 and I didn't process as hard, #3 at f/1.4 and I just went for a more artsy look. Not sure which I prefer, the 1.4 I think, more of that dreamy look.

Nice, Nice, & Nice Sir, they work real good for me, well composed with some lovely light.(y)

George.

xt2long.jpg

That's a nice shot Sir, well composed with some nice light.(y)

George.

I actually like a little bit of extra dof in the 2nd one, which is unusual for me. Do prefer the colour of 3 though. If you could get the colour of 3 onto that would do it for me.

All very nice though

xt2long.jpg

With the latest firmware the time exposure on the X-T2 will go up to 15 mins (I don't use the App, so I expect that will not support it - yet), but an old skool cable release will work, as will a USB cable release, or set the shutter timer delay for 2 seconds/10 seconds, and press the shutter!

Reactions: Nod
Thanks, fellas. Compliments very much appreciated, but the more I look at it the more I'm not quite altogether happy with it. I think it would benefit from being brightened a touch, no?

Oh, and just because I can....here's this evening's effort at nearby Bowling. If you whisper it quietly enough, I'll admit it's even a HDR image (though hopefully not too noticeable!).

Cheers

Ian
Another really nice shot, well composed and a terrific subject. Keep them coming Ian!

Very nice - I think #3 is the winner too, just that bit more pop about it and the background enhances the subject just that bit more.

xt2long.jpg
Amazing colours and a really well composed image.

Cheers

Ian
I like it. And for balance, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a bit of HDR. It just means using some technique or other to capture an image that's beyond the dynamic range of your camera. So pictures that I now take with a single shot on my X-T10 would have needed at least two on my K10D. No big deal. These days in the rare occasions when I need to blend exposures, I prefer to do it by hand, but that's another issue. What I think people object to are the horrid results some people produce with Photomatix. But that's not HDR. I can get that effect with a single shot in Lightroom any time you like. I just don't want to :)

I like it. And for balance, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a bit of HDR. It just means using some technique or other to capture an image that's beyond the dynamic range of your camera. So pictures that I now take with a single shot on my X-T10 would have needed at least two on my K10D. No big deal. These days in the rare occasions when I need to blend exposures, I prefer to do it by hand, but that's another issue. What I think people object to are the horrid results some people produce with Photomatix. But that's not HDR. I can get that effect with a single shot in Lightroom any time you like. I just don't want to :)
Exactly that Dave!

With the latest firmware the time exposure on the X-T2 will go up to 15 mins (I don't use the App, so I expect that will not support it - yet), but an old skool cable release will work, as will a USB cable release, or set the shutter timer delay for 2 seconds/10 seconds, and press the shutter!

Thanks I found that :) but from what I can see when you get up to the minutes exposure it goes 1min, 2min, 4min, 8min, 15min and I can't see a way of choosing something between those times.

As for a USB cable, will this one work :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SHOOT-Shut...?ie=UTF8&qid=1502355293&sr=8-3&keywords=RR-90

or will I have to go for an official : https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/New/fujifilm-rr-90-remote-release_3334.html

Cheers

Thanks I found that :) but from what I can see when you get up to the minutes exposure it goes 1min, 2min, 4min, 8min, 15min and I can't see a way of choosing something between those times.

As for a USB cable, will this one work :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SHOOT-Shut...?ie=UTF8&qid=1502355293&sr=8-3&keywords=RR-90

or will I have to go for an official : https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/New/fujifilm-rr-90-remote-release_3334.html

Cheers
Yes, that remote release should work, although I've found in the past that 3rd party remotes are variable in quality and some may not work even though they should!

xt2long.jpg
Would bulb mode not work? You'd have to calculate the time needed but that's simple to do either mental arithmetic or there are plenty phone apps for the product of Blair's schooling.

Time elapsed is shown on the rear screen so you know just when to stop the exposure.

And if you want 6 minutes but the options are 4 or 8, just stick the lens cap on at 6 - job done.

I know. :D

Back