The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I agree, and have the same issue myself with the 34mm wide open at 1.4. The focal plane is just so damn fine it's easy to just miss it with the tiniest of movements.

The results for me is that I have less 'keepers with this lens, but those that are sharp where they need to be are lovely.

I honestly think the definition in these cases Sir is lost during the posting somewhere, and definitely not with the OPs photographic technique.(y)

George.

That's a very nice shot Sir, with good composition and plenty of detail.(y)

George

Thanks George, the T2 & 100-400 can pull out a good image, even in difficult light. I walked around for the first 45 minutes with OIS turned off... Most of those shots were scrapped :)

Thanks George, the T2 & 100-400 can pull out a good image, even in difficult light. I walked around for the first 45 minutes with OIS turned off... Most of those shots were scrapped :)

I use that combination quite a bit Sir, very seldom for my own personal work but quite considerably for motor sport.(y)

George.

I agree, and have the same issue myself with the 34mm wide open at 1.4. The focal plane is just so damn fine it's easy to just miss it with the tiniest of movements.

The results for me is that I have less 'keepers with this lens, but those that are sharp where they need to be are lovely.

All 1.4 lenses are like this when shot wide open, I had the Sigma 35mm 1.4 'Art' for Nikon and at 1.4 you could miss focus by breathing heavily :D [The D800 sensor really showed up any tiny flaws on top] If you shot at F2 though you'd have a tonne more keepers. I find the Fuji actually a lot better than that Sigma, which was a lot more expensive at the time. You should try some manual focus macro ... now that can lead to frustration fast! Even at F16 the plane of focus is razor thin even the slightest movement of your hands, or a heavy breath, will throw you well off focus.

All 1.4 lenses are like this when shot wide open, I had the Sigma 35mm 1.4 'Art' for Nikon and at 1.4 you could miss focus by breathing heavily :D [The D800 sensor really showed up any tiny flaws on top] If you shot at F2 though you'd have a tonne more keepers. I find the Fuji actually a lot better than that Sigma, which was a lot more expensive at the time. You should try some manual focus macro ... now that can lead to frustration fast! Even at F16 the plane of focus is razor thin even the slightest movement of your hands, or a heavy breath, will throw you well off focus.
Tried it with some extension tubes bought last year. Gave up, quickly.

Tried it with some extension tubes bought last year. Gave up, quickly.

It can be a right exercise in frustration. You could take 200 shots and barely have a handful of keepers. It can be very rewarding when you do nail a good macro shot though. Atm I'm using the 35 1.4 with a couple of macro rings. Looking about for a nice cheap manual focus 1:1 macro. I'm a sucker for punishment.

I would love to know what you did here. Did you lift shadows in LR/PS?

Nothing special really - just shot in RAW then recovered the shadows in Adobe Camera RAW (which comes with Photoshop elements) - if you click to open the .RAF file with Elements then it will automatically open into Camera RAW. You can do all the major adjustments of highlights and shadows etc in there then open it into Photoshop itself to do the rest of the editing :)

Had a bit of a walk around today myself with my 35mm f/1.4...

I can agree with all the above, I found I didn't get many sharp shots trying to shoot at f/1.4, but that's most likely me being out of practice for a few years :D I've also forgot how to use both Lightroom and Photoshop, so now I need to get back into using them as well. Doh. Anyhow, here are a few from today that I half salvaged I hope. From now on I'm shooting at f/2 and above haha.

DSCF0327 by SealBeard, on Flickr

DSCF0304 by SealBeard, on Flickr

DSCF0292 by SealBeard, on Flickr

DSCF0267 by SealBeard, on Flickr

DSCF0269 by SealBeard, on Flickr

DSCF0321 by SealBeard, on Flickr

Last edited:
Beautiful! I want to learn to process like that. Then again, I would love to live somewhere somewhere with this kind of beauty (or at least have time to visit

Thanks Kara.

Like I said earlier in the thread, it's not a subject I would normally shoot, nor a processing style I would have historically attempted (more of a gritty, monochrome, architecture man usually), but I am really enjoying this "style" at the moment.

I've pushed them quite a long way from the original exposures to create the mood and feeling I wanted, mostly through a bit of trial and error, but it's essential the orton effect but selectively applied with some masking in photoshop and then back to lightroom for all the other stuff! They are probably the images I've done the most post work on out of all my 500px shots, but in a way they are also the ones I am most pleased with.

Definitely a "series" I am looking forward to doing more of :)

Had a bit of a walk around today myself with my 35mm f/1.4...

I can agree with all the above, I found I didn't get many sharp shots trying to shoot at f/1.4, but that's most likely me being out of practice for a few years :D I've also forgot how to use both Lightroom and Photoshop, so now I need to get back into using them as well. Doh. Anyhow, here are a few from today that I half salvaged I hope. From now on I'm shooting at f/2 and above haha.

DSCF0327 by SealBeard, on Flickr

DSCF0304 by SealBeard, on Flickr

DSCF0292 by SealBeard, on Flickr

DSCF0267 by SealBeard, on Flickr

DSCF0269 by SealBeard, on Flickr

DSCF0321 by SealBeard, on Flickr

Very nice set of shots Rob, nice colours and love the last one :)

Very nice set of shots Rob, nice colours and love the last one :)

Thanks Dave - Trying to get out and about at least once a week to take some pics. I actually had the intention of taking some pictures of some creepy crawlies or butterflies etc, but by the time I got close enough with the 35mm they'd done one! Maybe I need a longer lens :naughty:

The 35 with ext tubes is very hard to use for macro, as you have to almost touch the bugs to get a bit less than 1:1, I usually end up taking off one of the rings so I can keep back a little. Or I use the old Helios lens I have with both rings, as that gives better working distance, but a little less magnification. Compromises ... really need a true macro lens.

It can be a right exercise in frustration. You could take 200 shots and barely have a handful of keepers. It can be very rewarding when you do nail a good macro shot though. Atm I'm using the 35 1.4 with a couple of macro rings. Looking about for a nice cheap manual focus 1:1 macro. I'm a sucker for punishment.

I totally agree with you Sir.(y)

It can be difficult to nail a focus point when using an F1.4 lens wide open at a close focus position (I use the very same lens myself). But in the close up shot there is no definite point of focus showing anywhere which leads me to thinking it's something to do with the way the shot was uploaded, I bet I'm not far off target when I say its probably due to compression. The only other reasons for this that I can see but extremely unlikely would be camera shake or the focus point nearer than any part of the image.

But moving on a bit to the OPs previous submissions, all lovely photographs but once again no definite point of focus in any of them. This time all taken with the 55-200mm lens and what I would assume to be a more distant focus point. So that rules out the F1.4 part of nailing focus. Once again I firmly believe that this is down to some sort of compression happening when the shots have been uploaded as in my opinion the OP is a far too good a photographer to let this sort of thing happen.

As I said in no way whatsoever am I nit picking at the photographs that have been presented, I'm just trying to establish what has happened to cause them to appear like this.

George.

I totally agree with you Sir.(y)

It can be difficult to nail a focus point when using an F1.4 lens wide open at a close focus position (I use the very same lens myself). But in the close up shot there is no definite point of focus showing anywhere which leads me to thinking it's something to do with the way the shot was uploaded, I bet I'm not far off target when I say its probably due to compression. The only other reasons for this that I can see but extremely unlikely would be camera shake or the focus point nearer than any part of the image.

But moving on a bit to the OPs previous submissions, all lovely photographs but once again no definite point of focus in any of them. This time all taken with the 55-200mm lens and what I would assume to be a more distant focus point. So that rules out the F1.4 part of nailing focus. Once again I firmly believe that this is down to some sort of compression happening when the shots have been uploaded as in my opinion the OP is a far too good a photographer to let this sort of thing happen.

As I said in no way whatsoever am I nit picking at the photographs that have been presented, I'm just trying to establish what has happened to cause them to appear like this.

George.

There could be something to it Geroge, he isn't using Flickr, which I find the best way tbh - and even Flickr adds some compression I believe. But off focus is different, could actually be something amiss with the camera's sensor? My old D800 used to back focus originally, but that camera had built in calibration.

As for the 35 shooting at 1.4, it can actually quite sharp, you just really need to hold steady. Not because of shutter speed, you're going to be mostly in a good high range wide open [this shot used the ES at 1/32000!] , but because of that thin focal plane. I posted this one the other day here, it is shot wide open and the main subject is crisp enough. I probably could have gone sharper, but I was after a more 'artsy' fartsy image :D

The art of nature 1.4 by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice set of images Sir with some good composition and colour.(y)

"Not in any way a complaint about the shots, but I'd be interested to know how your posting your images on TP as with respects they don't appear to be very sharp which I'm sure they really are"

George.
Thanks George.
I'm a bit of a novice posting pics to be honest and I thought the same, they do look oof on here.
Probably because the only way I know to resize them is by using something called imageresizer which produces what they call 'desktop resolution' sized images.
If you can help me to do it some other way, I'd be very grateful.

Having read through a few posts, it seems that people are suggesting using Flickr which I do use sometimes but haven't used to post anything here, so forgive my ignorance once again but do I upload them there first and then somehow link them back here?
As I said in my reply to George, there is some ignorance on my part when it comes to posting pictures here.

Last edited:
Had a nice walk round the park with Susie. X-T20 + XC 50-230mm quite breezy out but chuffed.

Small Heath by David Ore, on Flickr

Small Heath Butterfly by David Ore, on Flickr

Hovefly by David Ore, on Flickr

Hoverfly by David Ore, on Flickr

Hoverfly by David Ore, on Flickr

Susie by David Ore, on Flickr

Twos Company by David Ore, on Flickr
nice shots again here Dave, I think you're getting the best out of the 50-230 lens. You're technique must be spot on, great stuff.

I hope so because it's a lovely shot [emoji106]
Thanks Ian, it could be me or it could be my uploading method as explained. I haven't had much practice yet with any of the lenses so am just trying a few things out.

Having read through a few posts, it seems that people are suggesting using Flickr which I do use sometimes but haven't used to post anything here, so forgive my ignorance once again but do I upload them there first and then somehow link them back here?
As I said in my reply to George, there is some ignorance on my part when it comes to posting pictures here.
Upload them to flickr then just use the share button under the picture to share it and select the BBCODE to copy to here.

Hi guy's n' gals, first time shooting something in many months, I've got four days home from hospital as a we break, nothing exciting;

Untitled by APM Photography, on Flickr

I love the XF35 f/1.4R glass.
Nice one, Peter. Hope it's all going well?

Upload them to flickr then just use the share button under the picture to share it and select the BBCODE to copy to here.

I've only ever done it on the laptop, might be a little different on phone. When you click on your image, to the right you'll see 5 icons. Choose the arrow symbol to share, choose BBcode at the end of the pop up box, and select medium 800x, then copy the code and paste it here. That's how I do it at least.

I've only ever done it on the laptop, might be a little different on phone. When you click on your image, to the right you'll see 5 icons. Choose the arrow symbol to share, choose BBcode at the end of the pop up box, and select medium 800x, then copy the code and paste it here. That's how I do it at least.
I just force desktop website in google chrome so that the flickr website has all the same options and buttons.

Thanks George.
I'm a bit of a novice posting pics to be honest and I thought the same, they do look oof on here.
Probably because the only way I know to resize them is by using something called imageresizer which produces what they call 'desktop resolution' sized images.
If you can help me to do it some other way, I'd be very grateful.

If its any help Sir, I only use Flickr to upload my shots. I put mine on Flickr at full resolution, some I know reduce their shots but I prefer not too. I then select the share arrow, copy the BB Code and the size I select is 800 (longest edge) by whatever the other edge happens to be. Then just paste that BB Code on to the posting page. That's it job done.(y)

Hope this helps.,

George.

Last edited:
Hi guy's n' gals, first time shooting something in many months, I've got four days home from hospital as a we break, nothing exciting;

Untitled by APM Photography, on Flickr

I love the XF35 f/1.4R glass.

Lovely shot Sir, great detail & colours.(y)

"Hope your treatment is going well matey, All The Best"

George

nice shots again here Dave, I think you're getting the best out of the 50-230 lens. You're technique must be spot on, great stuff.

Thank you Chris for the nice words, I am really loving the Fuji kit I just wish I`d changed years ago as would of saved some pain on carrying kit about. Really do like both the XC lenses, just got to think what prime to get, either the 50mm f2 R WR or 35mm f2 R WR in a few months :confused:

Thank you all for the advice re Flickr, I'll give it a try tomorrow and see if that improves the images. If not, I'll just have to try harder with my hand holding skills but they should be ok as I didn't have any problems with my Canon gear which was a lot heavier.

Having read through a few posts, it seems that people are suggesting using Flickr
No need to use Flickr or any other external site. You can do it all on here. There are image size limits so I use Faststone Image Resizer. Google is your friend but it's free and works well.
Get the image to a size that is within forum limits. Most look at it on mobiles/tablets/laptops so any quality degredation will never be noticed.
Put your image somewhere you can find it. When you make your post click on the little box that says "Upload a file". Select your file and it will upload. Select the option to show full size.
End of story. Image is with your message.

Simple.

Back