The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Nice graffitti art Mickledore - is that in the UK? I only ask because I rarely go into a town, our little place has everything we need and I don't do 'cities' if I can help it. London - christ, you can SMELL the place 60 miles before getting there! I always get exhausted going into town, too much movement and noise going on for me, a day is about as much as I can stand.

BATTERY USAGE:
Using the camera body on its own, of course there is only the one battery to consider, but with the grip attached there is a bank of three batteries and the difference in usable time is exponential. What I have noticed is just how those batteries are used. The left hand grip battery gets used up completely first, before the other two are even one fuel cell down. I haven't actually gone beyond the one in the red to see what happens further down the line, but it did occur to me that in order to gain the best possible battery life (in terms of time between buying replacements, rather than shooting time) is to rotate the cells between locations, otherwise one battery is being used hard, while the others are just on tickover. Has anyone got any feedback on battery performance further into the available power reserve? What happens when the two grip batteries go into the red, for instance?

Certainly the Expro batteries are perfectly suited to what I do. The one lasts several shoots while the grip is attached. I can't see me running out of battery power, which is something I have heard many people complain about. The saving in cost does seem to be worth it, even though I only have the 'black' ones. I didn't see any 'white' ones when I was looking.

Nice graffitti art Mickledore - is that in the UK? I only ask because I rarely go into a town, our little place has everything we need and I don't do 'cities' if I can help it. London - christ, you can SMELL the place 60 miles before getting there! I always get exhausted going into town, too much movement and noise going on for me, a day is about as much as I can stand.

It was near Jamaica street in Liverpool. Have to say it was truly great artwork.

@SealBeard Your working distances as promised Sir,(y)

"In each case the 55-200mm Lens was used with both the 11mm & 16mm Tubes plus a Raynox 250. These working distance measurements are all Exact In Focus measurements taken from the front element of the Raynox 250 to the in focus subject"

Lens set to 55mm = 50mm W/D at infinity focus setting, and 40mm W/D at closest focus setting.

Lens set to 200mm = 105mm W/D at infinity focus setting, and 95mm W/D at closest focus setting.

"Obviously all other focal length settings would be something in between to two sets of measurements I have done for you"

Hope this helps.,:pint::D:D

George.

Last edited:
@SealBeard Your working distances as promised Sir,(y)

"In each case the 55-200mm Lens was used with both the 11mm & 16mm Tubes plus a Raynox 250. These working distance measurements are all Exact In Focus measurements taken from the front element of the Raynox 250 to the in focus subject"

Lens set to 55mm = 50mm W/D at infinity focus setting, and 40mm W/D at closest focus setting.

Lens set to 200mm = 105mm W/D at infinity focus setting, and 95mm W/D at closest focus setting.

"Obviously all other focal length settings would be something in between to two sets of measurements I have done for you"

Hope this helps.,:pint::D:D

George.

Excellent info! Thanks very much, really appreciated - I certainly do owe you at least a virtual pint! :beer:(y)

I ordered a 55-200 first thing this morning from Fuji so I'm already looking forward to have a play

Well after falling out with Photography and having a brief dabble in Micro 4/3 I'm now trying to get back in it after selling the most of my fuji equipment (other than the 35 mm 1.4).

Just purchased an X-T1 with a 10-24 and 90mm on its way. The group seems to have come on quite a way since I last posted with some excellent work being created.

Got hold of my Raynox 250 earlier today, had a very quick test with it on the 35mm f/1.4 + 11mm Extension tube. The weather was very overcast, and I didn't have any additional lighting so I was mostly hand held at f/5.6 @ a 60th... which is why the shots are a tad soft (...yes and my rusty focusing technique I know!) But on the whole I found it quite positive, and looking forward to trying some stuff out maybe with some off camera flash and an extra 16mm tube :)

DSCF0361 by SealBeard, on Flickr

DSCF0363 by SealBeard, on Flickr

DSCF0369 by SealBeard, on Flickr

Last edited:
Got hold of my Raynox 250 earlier today, had a very quick test with it on the 35mm f/1.4 + 11mm Extension tube. The weather was very overcast, and I didn't have any additional lighting so I was mostly hand held at f/5.6 @ a 60th... which is why the shots are a tad soft (...yes and my rusty focusing technique I know!) But on the whole I found it quite positive, and looking forward to trying some stuff out maybe with some off camera flash and an extra 16mm tube :)

Flash makes it a lot easier for sure, it freezes the scene, all you have to worry about is trying to keep focus within the slim DOF - which is hard enough :D

Flash makes it a lot easier for sure, it freezes the scene, all you have to worry about is trying to keep focus within the slim DOF - which is hard enough :D

Yea I don't doubt that at all, the 'hold your breath as long as possible while swaying back and forth until you pass out from lack of oxygen' technique wasn't the best :wacky:

Yea I don't doubt that at all, the 'hold your breath as long as possible while swaying back and forth until you pass out from lack of oxygen' technique wasn't the best :wacky:

It can knock the wind out of you alright. WIthout flash try setting the shutter to CH and trigger a you come into focus. It'll be more of a pain to go through the images but you have better chance of getting more keepers

What does it smell of?
Interested because I now live approx 60 miles north of London and thought I might be able to get a whiff of home.

Seriously now, what a right load of old cobblers.

Thanks @tijuana taxi
Cheers Rich. I had similar thoughts but couldn't find a polite way to express them. I didn't understand the post at all; that's why I never replied!!!

My pleasure Frank, been taking a break from here recently, too many posts seem made to provoke a response and not in a positive way.

Don't worry Rich.
Schools go back soon.
It always gets a bit silly on here during the summer months.

I would take that as meaning smog/pollution, which most cities do suffer from. Country folk will notice it all the more. This thread is pretty safe and sound.

Edited on my phone so could well look awful full size on a monitor! :)
IMG_20170821_185459_446.jpg

It was near Jamaica street in Liverpool. Have to say it was truly great artwork.

I agree - I don't know Liverpool at all. It is somewhere I would like to go one day and explore. Seen some wonderful pictures of the place.

What does it smell of?
Interested because I now live approx 60 miles north of London and thought I might be able to get a whiff of home.

Seriously now, what a right load of old cobblers.

I don't know what it smells of, but it is rank and makes my nose block up and my eyes run. Traffic fumes probably - towns and cities really do not like me. Strange as that may seem. I cannot do more than a day. I took Anna to London once, to see Cats. We had a hotel for the night but by the next morning I was sick from the 'city smell' and couldn't eat brekfast and was poorly for the whole day. If you live or work in it, you will get used to it I suppose. I like the pictures I see from cities, especially the grafic design style architechture types and the people ones, like the Policeman above, great shots. I envy those who can stay in the area, unfortunately, it makes me ill.

Reactions: Nod

Very nice set Rob, like the fly as you got some good detail.

Class George, your candid shots are incredible.

Thank you kindly Sir, I much appreciate you taking the time to reply & comment.(y)

George.

Very unimaginative shot as I just picked it up from a neighbour, but heres one of a knock off Harley Quinn Lego model @ 2:1, f11 or so, hard to tell as theres no click.

Oshiro 60mm f/2.8 test
by John Norton, on Flickr

Back