The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Ah man, coming from Sony, the battery is like heaven from me in Fuji, haha. A6000 had this thing where if you left the EVF sensor on, it would drain the battery even if the camera was off, haha. I had like 6 batteries in my backpack. It would sometimes go from 80% straight to 40%. I would turn it on after a while and it would go to 60%. No idea what was going on there.

I find the X-T1 can gobble through battery pretty quick too, and once it goes, it gives you little chance to get a quick shot in before it flashes red and off! That's happened to me once too often, so I always change the battery in the grip once it's lost just over a bar. That's another plus for the grip, as the camera will use the battery in there before the body, it's easier to flick the grip battery out and replace and off you go. Rarely ever have to remove the grip, unless I specifically want a smaller set up

Last edited:
The story of Trefor jetty in long exppsures...

Back in May:

Ageing by Alan Jones, on Flickr

Tuesday:

Isolation by Alan Jones, on Flickr

This morning:

Soul Serenity by Alan Jones, on Flickr

Sadly the weather (and firecrest filter!) hasn't allowed as good a shot as back in May, I'll return once he demolition crew has left to add a final instalment.

Ah man, coming from Sony, the battery is like heaven from me in Fuji, haha. A6000 had this thing where if you left the EVF sensor on, it would drain the battery even if the camera was off, haha. I had like 6 batteries in my backpack. It would sometimes go from 80% straight to 40%. I would turn it on after a while and it would go to 60%. No idea what was going on there.
My xt10 does that. In high performance mode, even after turning off the camera you can see the small dim red light next to the evf indicating the sensor is still active... I have to physically remove and reinsert the battery in order to stop it running down in the camera... :/

Like Dave, I am using an older model too, the X-T1 [4-5 years old at this stage] - the XT20 should be more capable in general.

I almost always under expose, the Fuji Raw files are great for pulling back negative exposure, it is always tougher the other way around, no matter the sensor used.

Woah, hold it there horsey! The X-T1 is no pensioner, it only came out in 2014 :D

Almost forgot this one, took yesterday morn when it was right foggy out - I went out on the street and aimed the camera down the road, awaiting a car with fog lights on to appear .... the one car that drove up [it was 7:30am] had no lights on :wacky: I was about to chuck the idea when this cyclist appeared. The vignetting was added in post, just trying to 'frame' the scene, love or loathe.

Morning cycle by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

Last edited:
Almost forgot this one, took yesterday morn when it was right foggy out - I went out on the street and aimed the camera down the road, awaiting a car with fog lights on to appear .... the one car that drove up [it was 7:30am] had no lights on :wacky: I was about to chuck the idea when this cyclist appeared. The vignetting was added in post, just trying to 'frame' the scene, love or loathe.

This works really well :)

BTW, my whole family has disowned me for having a beard. Both children tell me to shave it off daily (and they're only 2 and 4 :D)

Thanks lads, I do love a foggy morning for photos, gives a sense of mystery, and no need for any mad filters, nature offers it up for free :)

On beards; I get itchy and irritated if I let anything more than light stubble grow, I shave at least every second day and use after shave - cleans the pores, and I smell good :D There must be something to it as I have never gotten spots/acne

The story of Trefor jetty in long exppsures...

Back in May:

Ageing by Alan Jones, on Flickr

Tuesday:

Isolation by Alan Jones, on Flickr

This morning:

Soul Serenity by Alan Jones, on Flickr

Sadly the weather (and firecrest filter!) hasn't allowed as good a shot as back in May, I'll return once he demolition crew has left to add a final instalment.

"Excellent" set of Fujigraphs Sir, all well composed and some really good mono PP work.(y)

George.

Rubbish weather today but had a nice mooch round town.

The Joker by David Ore, on Flickr

Give us a Tune by David Ore, on Flickr

She Spotted Me by David Ore, on Flickr

Deep in Thought by David Ore, on Flickr

Eye Contact by David Ore, on Flickr

Talking by David Ore, on Flickr

On the Mobile by David Ore, on Flickr

Hello Can I Help You by David Ore, on Flickr

Great set of street style Fujigraphs Sir, well caught with some good expressions. Good to see your candid street style work showing more confidence (that's of course meant in the nicest possible way).(y)

George.

Last edited:

Very nice Fujigraph Sir, really like the way the cyclist is framed by the trees etc and looks good against the misty backdrop.(y)

George.

Yay, X-T1 back from Fuji and it looks very nice indeed - no warping or pealing, I also think they replaced the D pad which was something of a bonus.

New firmware applied, it already was 5.2, but given it asked for the date I'm guessing they did it anyway.

Would have landed yesterday but my wife was busy, should have gone a day earlier too - still not a bad turnaround for free!

More from my recent trip to Wales...

This is an image of "Mill Pond" in Maentwrog, in Snowdonia. It was just up the road from where we were staying (The Oakley Arms - can definitely recommend it) and as we came by one night I noticed how still the lake was, so as soon as we got back to base (we were in a group of 8 cars) I turned round and came back up. This shot was a 5 second exposure as it was almost half six in the evening and the light was fading.

Shot on the T2 and 10-24, at f11; 100 ISO and on a tripod..

Untitled by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

This is an image of "Mill Pond" in Maentwrog, in Snowdonia. It was just up the road from where we were staying (The Oakley Arms - can definitely recommend it) and as we came by one night I noticed how still the lake was, so as soon as we got back to base (we were in a group of 8 cars) I turned round and came back up. This shot was a 5 second exposure as it was almost half six in the evening and the light was fading.

It's a lovely shot for trees and water, but what a shame about the sky. Was probably worth staying a bit longer...

It's a lovely shot for trees and water, but what a shame about the sky. Was probably worth staying a bit longer...

Possibly, but the sky was pretty grey all over, and after a day honing around the Welsh mountains, beer & steak were calling.

I intend to go back to the area with just me & the Mrs so I can have some real photo time....

Beautiful monos, sad to see the jetty removed, I guess it was a danger?

Yes, lovely shots, but the first is the clear winner! What a shame.

"Excellent" set of Fujigraphs Sir, all well composed and some really good mono PP work.(y)

George.

Thanks guys - the first one benefits from better weather, more time to setup and compose and better filtration! The second could have been much better with more time and a lower ND filter as there was similar weather. As it is the glare on the firecrest made a right mess of things and has required serious PP to hide. I was livid when I pulled the camera out at lunch time to see what I'd got!

It's called Llyn Mair Steve - somewhere I spend a lot of time with the Ffestiniog Railway as it's a convenient place to park to walk to a number of locations nearby. In the trees behind in your pic you have Plas Halt ad a few lineside locations, then at the far end on the right Whistling curve an the approach to Tan y Bwlch, behind you have Tan y Bwlch station and Creuaua bank, Tafarn Trip covert and off to the left Garnedd tunnel and a longer walk through the woods (highly recommended!) up to Dduallt and Tanygrisiau beyond. Here's the view from above the Garnedd tunnel a few years ago before they chopped the trees on Tafarn Trip down, you can now see the lake again fully!

Approaching Garnedd Tunnel by Alan Jones, on Flickr

"I revisited "Suicide Bridge" in North London last night. Unfortunately a road maintenance crew had blocked off half the road and their truck wasn't going anywhere but I got a nice sunset at least"

I like the second image Ian. I will be down in the capital in the next few weeks and would like to take some evening shots of the city.
May I ask the whereabouts of this location?

"I revisited "Suicide Bridge" in North London last night. Unfortunately a road maintenance crew had blocked off half the road and their truck wasn't going anywhere but I got a nice sunset at least"

I like the second image Ian. I will be down in the capital in the next few weeks and would like to take some evening shots of the city.
May I ask the whereabouts of this location?

So this was taken standing on Archway Bridge (I think that is the official name - i'll check) which spans Archway Road in north London. It is midway between Archway and Highgate tube stations. Let me know if you cannot find it and I'll find better location details.

Thanks guys - the first one benefits from better weather, more time to setup and compose and better filtration! The second could have been much better with more time and a lower ND filter as there was similar weather. As it is the glare on the firecrest made a right mess of things and has required serious PP to hide. I was livid when I pulled the camera out at lunch time to see what I'd got!

It's called Llyn Mair Steve - somewhere I spend a lot of time with the Ffestiniog Railway as it's a convenient place to park to walk to a number of locations nearby. In the trees behind in your pic you have Plas Halt ad a few lineside locations, then at the far end on the right Whistling curve an the approach to Tan y Bwlch, behind you have Tan y Bwlch station and Creuaua bank, Tafarn Trip covert and off to the left Garnedd tunnel and a longer walk through the woods (highly recommended!) up to Dduallt and Tanygrisiau beyond. Here's the view from above the Garnedd tunnel a few years ago before they chopped the trees on Tafarn Trip down, you can now see the lake again fully!

Interesting, because it's called "Mill Pond" on the map I was looking at.... It is, as you say, a fantastic place to base yourself if doing a trip to North Wales. Black Rock Sands is not far away, Bets-y-Coed is 10 minutes by car. We stayed in the cottages - in fact the group of us had 4 cottages between us, and parked the cars right next to the front doors. Definitely going back, but with a bigger emphasis on photography rather than the driving (oh, but those roads are fantastic if you like a technical drive...)

Last edited:
So this was taken standing on Archway Bridge (I think that is the official name - i'll check) which spans Archway Road in north London. It is midway between Archway and Highgate tube stations. Let me know if you cannot find it and I'll find better location details.

Thanks I've found it.

Right, I've had another crack at this.

With the first image, I uploaded the JPG from the T2 to my iPad and did a bit of editing in Snapseed. With this image, I have imported the raw file into LR, and then made adjust ments from there, finishing off the resizing & border in PS. I don't have a calibrated screen at the moment, so I hope this is going to look OK.... It looks better on my 27' monitor that the standard screen of my Macbook Pro, but not sure what Flickr will do to it....

Lake01 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Right, I've had another crack at this.

With the first image, I uploaded the JPG from the T2 to my iPad and did a bit of editing in Snapseed. With this image, I have imported the raw file into LR, and then made adjust ments from there, finishing off the resizing & border in PS. I don't have a calibrated screen at the moment, so I hope this is going to look OK.... It looks better on my 27' monitor that the standard screen of my Macbook Pro, but not sure what Flickr will do to it....

God, that looks awful - I was trying to recover the sky... :(

God, that looks awful - I was trying to recover the sky... :(
Doesn't look awful on my calibrated screen. I'd say the sky is much better. it's still a bit burned out at the brightest part, but not all overexposure is recoverable.

Horrible halo along the bottom of the treeline (in the reflection), otherwise it's a lovely shot.

I revisited "Suicide Bridge" in North London last night. Unfortunately a road maintenance crew had blocked off half the road and their truck wasn't going anywhere but I got a nice sunset at least:

Archway by Ian, on Flickr

Archway II by Ian, on Flickr

Two very nice Fujigraphs Sir, with some good colours, great light streaks, and nice skylines.(y)

George.

Back