The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

@cmcm789 if sports photos are a significant part of your photography then the faster AF speed of the newer camera will benefit, both from single shot and tracking capabilities.

Also the low light capability is better on the newer sensor, and the high resolution offers more cropping options.

But as @jimmyjamjojo says all the upgrades are incremental.

@jimmyjamjojo, @Mr Perceptive The higher resolution would be a factor as initially I would probably be restricted to the kit lens so cropping in the absence of a telephoto lens would be very useful, especially an upgrade from 16 to 24Mp.

The 18-55 kit lens is not a kit lens like a 'normal' Canon/Nikon Kit lens, it is very good and very sharp. Fuji don't really make any bad glass, even the plastic bodies XC16-50 and XC50-230 are optically very good. The main issue with the glass is the slower focus speed of the older glass, notably 35mm F1.4 and 60mm, but even these are quite zippy on the latest bodies.

@jimmyjamjojo, @Mr Perceptive The higher resolution would be a factor as initially I would probably be restricted to the kit lens so cropping in the absence of a telephoto lens would be very useful, especially an upgrade from 16 to 24Mp.
That factor is cancelled out by spending less on the body and buying a 55-200mm... :)

I can see your reasoning, but I think relying on the extra resolution in that way will leave you disappointed. It wont even give you half the reach that real glass will.

If money is tight, the xt10 plus lenses would work best. You can always upgrade the body at a later date if you find it limiting. Much better than an xt20 and wishing you had reach.

That factor is cancelled out by spending less on the body and buying a 55-200mm... :)

I can see your reasoning, but I think relying on the extra resolution in that way will leave you disappointed. It wont even give you half the reach that real glass will.

If money is tight, the xt10 plus lenses would work best. You can always upgrade the body at a later date if you find it limiting. Much better than an xt20 and wishing you had reach.

or buy XT20+18-55 and add 50-230 s/h for just over £100

Here's one with the 'kit' lens, taken last month in slightly foggy conditions but with very bright reflections off the water, as you can see. I was pleased with the way it and the X-T2 handled the scene.

Traffic in Venice by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

I'm not an owner, but a prospective one looking advice (hope that's ok).

I have been looking at options to go from a canon 60D to a mirrorless system. I still have a long way to go and need to get my hands on a Fuji yet, but I have nearly ruled out all the other options as I have had a chance to get hands on with them and read numerous comparisons. Any reviews on the Fuji X systems are very complimentary about the handling and button/ dial layout.

Anyway, my choice at the moment is between X-T10 (used) and X-T20. I have read various comments (all taken with a pinch of salt) about both these cameras. My main aim is to get a camera mainly as a walkabout with the odd landscape or sports photos. Even the X-T10 seems leaps ahead of the 60D in terms of dynamic range, low light capabilities etc.

So my choice is to get a X-T10 now and save myself £300+ with the option to upgrade later on, or just go straight for the X-T20.

Wondering what if any big differences I would notice (as a hobbiest photographer) in the two?

Thanks
Agree with what is written above - pros and cons to either option.

You might also want to take a look at the fuji refurb store or on places like WEX for a lightly used model with some warranty. Fuji kit is well made and I have bought used / refurb with no problems. It's a way of saving some money and putting it towards the ever increasing list of lenses you'll start to compile!

The X-T20 is much cheaper from the refurb store :) These are typically as new, store returns. I bought mine there with the 16-50mm.

I also have the X-T10 and used both side by side to shoot a wedding recently. The newer model is faster, more DSLR like in its operating speed, and has a larger buffer, but they are both great to use and a lot less bulky than the 60D with a lot less noise at high ISO (I used to have a 60D about 5 years ago).

Lovely George. Is that the sort of ‘cd’ that can be smoked? [emoji57]

Thank you kindly Sir, sure is appreciated.(y)

"I wouldn't know about those things, as you know I've led a very sheltered life" :whistle::D

George.

Happy to say that my X-T1 re-skinning was a success, not near as painful as I expected. Feels so good to have a solid grip on it again :)

Pretty female Hooded Merganser. WWT Barnes on Sunday. They were splashing around all over the place....

DSCF5273 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

DSCF5280 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Nice, that is a cool little Ducky :D

Last edited:
In trying to shoot this picture into the sun in order to light up the flowers, I found that the 10-24 can definitely be made to flare :). This was about the best I managed, even with a hood. I think it's OK, adds some atmosphere even. Although in retrospect, maybe shooting with a much shallower depth of field would have been a more complementary approach.

November flowers
by David Hallett, on Flickr

This was the most florid example (earlier in the day, a little further forward). Not my best effort :ROFLMAO:
19291-1511215086-07bfd8efffd5373e00232e49fdf447da.jpg

Whoops
by dave.hallett on Talk Photography

Last edited:
Nice job! Not sure if I like the look, but cant really tell from the picture... What did you use?

Edit: Just realised thats the naked shot... I'll leave this up so people can take the p**s out of me....
Well I'll 'fess up and admit to being the 2nd member of the numptie club - shall we get t-shirts made?:oops: :$

Ah, sorry lads, that was just a naked X-T1, it does look kind of cool though :) The original grip was starting to peel away and get a little 'soft' so I asked Fuji to send me on a set of replacement grips, and they did, even though I bought it used and not a hope of them getting any warranty info :D

What they do send is a new designed 'skin' which is the same as the X-T2 covering basically. The older type used on the X-T1 original was more 'rubbery' and prone to peeling from condensation, sweat, any kind of moisture really over time. Mine was peeling away at the main right hand grip and also at the rear just below the direction pad. All tight and clean now :)

recovered.jpg

For anyone that might have the same issue, if you do happen to blag a set of skins from Fuji, I found this vlog helpful when piecing mine together: https://willbarton.com/blog/2016/09/15/replacing-fuji-xt1-grip.html

I took the earlier image prematurely too, I did remove the glue patches you'll see on that one, that stuff is sticky as hell! It's also proven to me that the grip on these cameras has naff all to do with any weather resistance or sealing. That front plate looked impenetrable without the grips on, they really are there for grip and cosmetic purposes.

Last edited:
Ok...
Firstly hello all... I posted a similar post in the equipment main room last week and now I'm back to speak to you Fuji Oracles.. I'm in a dilemma. I currently shoot Canon (6d with a 50 1.4, 24-05L and 70-200 2.8) I have a range of studio lights and triggers plus a flash. Now. My main photography is pets, (Dogs and horses mainly) either in studio or outdoors. I also live street, and recently went out with a Sony nominated street photographer on a days street shoot and the bug has bitten. He shoots Fuji and his images are immense. His name is Wayne Crichlow should anyone wish to look him up.

It seems the Fuji is superior to the Canon in every respect (Especially size!)

My question is this: just how difficult is it to switch systems? And is it worth it? I'm looking at the XT1 or 2 plus equivalent lens reach to what I currently have. Would that be an expensive switch? I envisage realising around £1,300 for my Canon gear. Or are there adapters I can use so I keep my lenses? I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to mirrorless so any advice would be welcome.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Nick

I'm not an owner, but a prospective one looking advice (hope that's ok).

I have been looking at options to go from a canon 60D to a mirrorless system. I still have a long way to go and need to get my hands on a Fuji yet, but I have nearly ruled out all the other options as I have had a chance to get hands on with them and read numerous comparisons. Any reviews on the Fuji X systems are very complimentary about the handling and button/ dial layout.

Anyway, my choice at the moment is between X-T10 (used) and X-T20. I have read various comments (all taken with a pinch of salt) about both these cameras. My main aim is to get a camera mainly as a walkabout with the odd landscape or sports photos. Even the X-T10 seems leaps ahead of the 60D in terms of dynamic range, low light capabilities etc.

So my choice is to get a X-T10 now and save myself £300+ with the option to upgrade later on, or just go straight for the X-T20.

Wondering what if any big differences I would notice (as a hobbiest photographer) in the two?

Thanks

Word of warning the T10 and T20 are very small, really wanted to like them, but found them just too dimunitive even for normal size hands.
Go and have a feel, the X-E range is very good too and the latest model E3 has supposedly the fastest focus of them all

Ok...
Firstly hello all... I posted a similar post in the equipment main room last week and now I'm back to speak to you Fuji Oracles.. I'm in a dilemma. I currently shoot Canon (6d with a 50 1.4, 24-05L and 70-200 2.8) I have a range of studio lights and triggers plus a flash. Now. My main photography is pets, (Dogs and horses mainly) either in studio or outdoors. I also live street, and recently went out with a Sony nominated street photographer on a days street shoot and the bug has bitten. He shoots Fuji and his images are immense. His name is Wayne Crichlow should anyone wish to look him up.

My question is this: just how difficult is it to switch systems? And is it worth it? I'm looking at the XT1 or 2 plus equivalent lens reach to what I currently have. Would that be an expensive switch? I envisage realising around £1,300 for my Canon gear. Or are there adapters I can use so I keep my lenses? I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to mirrorless so any advice would be welcome.

Nick

I made the switch from a Nikon D800E to the X-T1 about 1.5yrs back, never missed the dslr afterward. If anything it was a huge relief to see it gone, I wasn't making the most of it. I had some nice lenses too, but all too often my kit was staying at home when I went out. Started looking into tidier and lighter options and Fuji stood out. You'd love the X-T2, but with your budget, and wanting a few lenses, that's not very realistic for you. I'm happy with the X-T1, I think it's a steal these days used [in or around £400 for excellent condition] and getting one of those gives you more leeway on the lens front. The 18-55 2.8-4 is a great lens by all accounts, either of the 35mm are fantastic, but if you want to cover for your 70-200 2.8 you'll have to up your budget a fair bit to get the 50-140 2.8 on top. There is the 55-200 3.5 - 4.8 which is a very nice lens, not 2.8, but it does have great OIS

You can get adapters to use your current lenses, but you will lose auto focus. And afaik many Canon lenses do not have an aperture ring on the lens? There are adapters that allow Nikon G lens apertures to be adjusted but I'm not sure on Canon. You'd have to research that a bit if you want to keep any of them.

Fujifilm Releases Firmware Updates for 11 Fuji X Cameras

From Fuji Rumors, basically only really adding support for the new 80mm Macro lens.

• Fujifilm X-A1
  • Fujifilm X-A2
  • Fujifilm X-A3
  • Fujifilm X-A10
  • Fujifilm X-E1
  • Fujifilm X-E2
  • Fujifilm X-E2s
  • Fujifilm X-M1
  • Fujifilm X-Pro1
  • Fujifilm X-T1
  • Fujifilm X-T10
X-T2 and XT-20 new firmware due end of this month and X-Pro2 by the end of December apparently.

Fujifilm Releases Firmware Updates for 11 Fuji X Cameras

From Fuji Rumors, basically only really adding support for the new 80mm Macro lens.

• Fujifilm X-A1
  • Fujifilm X-A2
  • Fujifilm X-A3
  • Fujifilm X-A10
  • Fujifilm X-E1
  • Fujifilm X-E2
  • Fujifilm X-E2s
  • Fujifilm X-M1
  • Fujifilm X-Pro1
  • Fujifilm X-T1
  • Fujifilm X-T10
X-T2 and XT-20 new firmware due end of this month and X-Pro2 by the end of December apparently.

They could have added a little something else to make it worthwhile for us poor folk!

Ok...

Nick

Nick

I'm a long term Fuji X shooter (over 5 years now!), but a couple of years ago I wanted to know if I was missing out on something with regard to FF, so I bought a 6D, Tamron 24-70 and a couple of other lenses. I kept the 6D for about a year using it alongside Fuji X cameras, but more often than not I'd leave the house with a Fuji camera, leaving the 6D behind, size and weight played a big part in this.

For the type of photography I do, I am very happy with the X series cameras, the only thing that the Canon did better (again for my type of photography) was low light/High ISO, shooting at 6400, 12800 or even 25,600 could produce great images from the Canon, whereas my then X-T1 I felt struggled above ISO3200.

But the X-T2 came along, and although this looks like only an incremental step up from the X-T1, the reality is that its quite a bit better, not only is it snappier (AF and overall) with high resolution, but its quite a bit better than the X-T1 at high ISO, 6400 is now fine and I've had good shots at 12,800.

I think that if you went for the X-T1 you might feel that you've moved sideways a bit, whereas with the X-T2 I think you we feel that you've moved forward. I know its a bigger investment and with the range of glass you want/need it might be a tretch, but it will be worth it.

Another option would be to keep all the Canon gear and buy a s/h X100T or X100F for your street work. That way you know and understand all your studio and flash work, and have a discrete camera for street work.

Looking at prices for the XT-2 along with glass I’m thinking it will be out of my reach for quite a while yet. And at the same time I’m gathering quite a few commissions for next year with my pet photography. That was one of the main reasons I looked at Fuji, as the positions you need to get into when filming dogs are ridiculous! So a smaller camera would make more sense.

Looking at prices for the XT-2 along with glass I’m thinking it will be out of my reach for quite a while yet. And at the same time I’m gathering quite a few commissions for next year with my pet photography. That was one of the main reasons I looked at Fuji, as the positions you need to get into when filming dogs are ridiculous! So a smaller camera would make more sense.

Its smaller but not that much smaller!!! Put an X100T or F on your Xmas list, keep the commercial work with what you know and love for the moment.

Its smaller but not that much smaller!!! Put an X100T or F on your Xmas list, keep the commercial work with what you know and love for the moment.
Isn't that a lot of money for a fixed lens camera?
Might be better with a second hand X-T2 and 18-55 combo for not a lot difference in cost.
Bodies are going for £900 ish and the lens can be had for under £250 whereas the X100F is over £1,300 at Jessops.

Isn't that a lot of money for a fixed lens camera?
Might be better with a second hand X-T2 and 18-55 combo for not a lot difference in cost.
Bodies are going for £900 ish and the lens can be had for under £250 whereas the X100F is over £1,300 at Jessops.

Discrete is the watchword for street, (X100F is about £900 s/h), and the leaf shutter makes it very quiet. X100T around £500-£550 s/h so even cheaper.

Hi All

'Tis the season when my wife asks what I'd like for Christmas so I'm thinking of getting a new bag. I have a large messenger bag which I use when I'm 'undecided' on what I'll be doing but wanted something small to take when I'm out and about. Would only need to carry my XT with a small lens attached plus another small prime. Ideally something discrete.

Apologies if this has been done to death.

Cheers

Dave

Hi All

'Tis the season when my wife asks what I'd like for Christmas so I'm thinking of getting a new bag. I have a large messenger bag which I use when I'm 'undecided' on what I'll be doing but wanted something small to take when I'm out and about. Would only need to carry my XT with a small lens attached plus another small prime. Ideally something discrete.

Cheers

Dave

Think Tank Retrospective, comes in various colours and sizes, just bought the 7 which seems about right for me.

Hi All

Cheers

Dave
I use a man bag rather than a camera bag these days.

Ok...

Nick

I think the level of difficulty depends on how much you want to change, and your available spend.

2 years ago I bought an X-T1 on a whim. My brother-in-law had one, and an X-Pro and I loved the retro styling. I have since moved on my 6D, all my L lenses, and am in the process of doing the same with my 7D2, 150-600 & 300 f4. I now have two X-T2 bodies and a range of lenses. Like other posters above, I tried to run the two systems, but the heavier, bulkier DSLR got left at home of in the car.

For what you are looking to do, I would suggest the X-T2 & 50-140 f2.8. This will give you the quality you are looking for, but also the ability to shoot a moving target outside. If I'm honest, the T2 isn't as good as my 7D2 in this respect, but it's a lot better than my 6D. The problem with the 7D2 is that it, combined with a big lens, is so heavy, I can't track a moving target!!

I have not regretted it, and my main subject is wildlife, but using the Fuji range has opened my eyes to other genres, and now I love shooting landscapes, something I seemed to struggle with when I had my 6D. You could rent one for a few days from Lensesforhire, or maybe do a day out with a local on here, we're all quite friendly!!

Discrete is the watchword for street, (X100F is about £900 s/h), and the leaf shutter makes it very quiet. X100T around £500-£550 s/h so even cheaper.

X-E3 is also discreet and apparently the fastest focusing Fuji available, paired with the 23mm f2 should be ideal.

Cheaper and more versatile too, that's where my money would be going

So a casual enquiry with MPB reveals the following:

A straight swap for my 6d, 24-105 and 70-200 will get me an XT2 body in excellent condition and a 35mm f1.4R in good condition.. I would definitely use the 35 as it's a focla length Iv'e been looking to use with the Canon. My next question is, how does the 35mm perform on the X2 body? I was thinking of maybe going down this route, or selling the Canon stuff on here and getting a couple more pieces of glass before my next paid shoot in the spring. (I have 7d and 50 1.4 in reserve should any other work crop up)

A straight swap for my 6d, 24-105 and 70-200 will get me an XT2 body in excellent condition and a 35mm f1.4R in good condition.. I would definitely use the 35 as it's a focla length Iv'e been looking to use with the Canon. My next question is, how does the 35mm perform on the X2 body? I was thinking of maybe going down this route, or selling the Canon stuff on here and getting a couple more pieces of glass before my next paid shoot in the spring. (I have 7d and 50 1.4 in reserve should any other work crop up)

If they offer what you expect. Even the tiniest spec of dust in a lens and they will downgrade it without question, they go through gear with a fine tooth comb.

I don't have the X-T2, I think a few on here have the 35 1.4 and T2, I can only speak for the lens on the X-T1 [up to date firmware]. It's not the fastest lens I will say, and if you are used to silent motor lenses it may seem a little noisey to you. But it's a fantastic lens, and I think having the 1.4 is worth it over the 35 F2, that one has nippier AF and it's a lot quieter. Depends on your priorities.

Last edited:
If they offer what you expect. Even the tiniest spec of dust in a lens and they will downgrade it without question, they go through gear with a fine tooth comb.

I don't have the X-T2, I think a few on here have the 35 1.4 and T2, I can only speak for the lens on the X-T1 [up to date firmware]. It's not the fastest lens I will say, and if you are used to silent motor lenses it may seem a little noisey to you. But it's a fantastic lens, and I think having the 1.4 is worth it over the 35 F2, that one has nippier AF and it's a lot quieter. Depends on your priorities.

To be fair I’ve used MPB before and never had a problem. I always price my gear fairly. Ideally I sell it all and use cash as it’s a better bargaining tool! We’ll see what my investigations uncover

Give selling a go on here first, have you looked at the Fuji refurb shop for buying? https://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/
This looks a bargain to me https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fuji-X-T2-...d=1511273042&sr=1-1&refinements=p_89:Fujifilm
With the 20% that's subtracted at checkout you have it for £1177 with a years guarantee, nearly 600 quid less than the best price around.
Take no notice of the description, its a generic one, I bought a bag that had scratches on the screen

Back