The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Just a simple Fujigraph taken in my studio of a Choisya Ternata flower using a 105mm Macro Lens with three Studio Flash heads, each with a largish Soft Box fitted against a Black Paper backdrop.

X-T1, 105mm Micro Nikkor (D) Lens, 1/125th @ F11, ISO-200, Multi Studio Flash.
Choisya Ternata (1)-02909 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.
Very nice George, can you expand a little on the Nikon 105mm macro lens please, is it the older or newer version etc...?

Regards;
Pete

Very nice George, can you expand a little on the Nikon 105mm macro lens please, is it the older or newer version etc...?

Regards;
Pete

Thank you kindly Sir, I sure do appreciate your reply.(y)

“It’s the slightly older version (D) lens, auto focus (on Nikon) but non stabilised”

George.

I find it hard to understand people not having the 18 55 it is such an useful range and outstanding quality for a short zoom.
Unlike many people I never cared to use lenses wider than 28mm on FF.
When I need wider I prefer to stitch, as I can then choose the projection to suit the subject.
I used to stitch a lot. But it doesn't work so well down at the beach unless you're going to use an ND filter and smooth the water completely. For stitches involving many pictures, typically multi row panos, it's also worth bearing in mind that there's a trade-off between resolution and DoF.

I used to stitch a lot. But it doesn't work so well down at the beach unless you're going to use an ND filter and smooth the water completely. For stitches involving many pictures, typically multi row panos, it's also worth bearing in mind that there's a trade-off between resolution and DoF.

waves can certainly be a problem, but if you count them in, they are regular enough for the blender to do a good job. And any remaining problems can be patched.

There is always a trade off between resolution and Dof in photography. But stitching does increase the pixel count in proportion to the number of shots.
The better stitching programs allow you to focus stack at the same time, if you want Greater Dof with out diffraction limitations.

Just having a play with my Topaz plugins

Royal Pavilion by Dave, on Flickr

Nice Fujigraph Sir, well composed with some good light and contrast.(y)

"I think the new plugin could work very well once you get used to it, it's showing some halo's around the towers etc but I think with a bit of practice it could produce some very good results."

George.

Nice Fujigraph Sir, well composed with some good light and contrast.(y)

"I think the new plugin could work very well once you get used to it, it's showing some halo's around the towers etc but I think with a bit of practice it could produce some very good results."

George.

Thank you George for the comment :) I did see the halo`s but decided to leave them in.

Last edited:
Apologies for the lack of input lately, I'm on holiday with our extended family in Thailand. My niece got married yesterday and I was helping out with some of the photography.

Here's one from the wedding, shot with the X-T2 and 80mm f2.8 @ f16.

rings1 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

I love this combo....

More to follow :)

Apologies for the lack of input lately, I'm on holiday with our extended family in Thailand. My niece got married yesterday and I was helping out with some of the photography.

Here's one from the wedding, shot with the X-T2 and 80mm f2.8 @ f16.

rings1 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

I love this combo....

More to follow :)
That's is beautifully sharp. Well done.

Right guys, this thread looks busy so rather than start a new one... Budget approx £1,600, happy with second hand, do I go for an xt1 or xt2?

I shoot a bit of everything, landscapes, family, street, no sports or wildlife. I'm pretty set on picking up the 18-55 (would like the 16-55 but seems like it is quite heavy in comparison to the other fuji lenses) a 23 f/2 and perhaps the 55-200 and in the future the 56 f/1.2. I've read plenty about both the xt1 and xt2 but can't decide wether I'd be better off/happier with the better sensor and all round improved camera but only the 18-55 and a prime, or go for the xt1 and have more choice of lenses.

Whatcha reckon?

Right guys, this thread looks busy so rather than start a new one... Budget approx £1,600, happy with second hand, do I go for an xt1 or xt2?

I shoot a bit of everything, landscapes, family, street, no sports or wildlife. I'm pretty set on picking up the 18-55 (would like the 16-55 but seems like it is quite heavy in comparison to the other fuji lenses) a 23 f/2 and perhaps the 55-200 and in the future the 56 f/1.2. I've read plenty about both the xt1 and xt2 but can't decide wether I'd be better off/happier with the better sensor and all round improved camera but only the 18-55 and a prime, or go for the xt1 and have more choice of lenses.

Whatcha reckon?
I think from personal experience if you don't go for the XT2 and but an XT1 you may always be wondering if you should have gone for the 2! There are loads of comparisons on the web such as the link below that would help.

https://www.fujivsfuji.com/fuji-xt2-vs-xt1/

I have a XT2 and really like it. As you can see from my signature what lenses I use and i like them all. At present I opt for the 56mm indoor grandchildren head and shoulder shots, 18-55 kit lens for a walk about. Ive just bought the 23mm 1.4 not the F2 and love it, everything they say about that lens and its rendering is true.

Whatcha reckon?
I reckon either would do you fine, and if you print landscapes large that's probably enough to justify the higher pixel count. But to be contrarian, why not start off with the X-T10 or X-T20 as appropriate, and find out whether you like it? They take exactly the same pictures as the "professional" versions, and you can always trade up after a few months if you're feeling the need .Some people like the 16-55, but there are quite a lot who don't think it's worth the extra money and weight over the 18-55.

I reckon either would do you fine, and if you print landscapes large that's probably enough to justify the higher pixel count. But to be contrarian, why not start off with the X-T10 or X-T20 as appropriate, and find out whether you like it? They take exactly the same pictures as the "professional" versions, and you can always trade up after a few months if you're feeling the need .Some people like the 16-55, but there are quite a lot who don't think it's worth the extra money and weight over the 18-55.
Being controversial, I would council against the T10/20 as first choice. They have different ergonomics. I find the smaller cameras too small. If that puts you off the camera you will never try the bigger brothers. If you start large and enjoy it, then go to the smaller ones, you’ve not lost the experience (if that makes sense). And likewise with the 16-55. Try the 18-55 first. Only upscale if you feel you’re still missing out on quality.

Being controversial, I would council against the T10/20 as first choice. They have different ergonomics. I find the smaller cameras too small. If that puts you off the camera you will never try the bigger brothers. If you start large and enjoy it, then go to the smaller ones, you’ve not lost the experience (if that makes sense). And likewise with the 16-55. Try the 18-55 first. Only upscale if you feel you’re still missing out on quality.
Fair point. I forgot about the size difference. Yes, if you get an x-T10 (or I would presume an x-T20) put an L-bracket on it right away. Otherwise, IMO, it's too small for easy handling.

Fair point. I forgot about the size difference. Yes, if you get an x-T10 (or I would presume an x-T20) put an L-bracket on it right away. Otherwise, IMO, it's too small for easy handling.

That is a very strange thing.....I have to use a L bracket on my Xe2 but on the slightly smaller Xe30 I do not.
On the Xe2 I seem to run out of places to put my fingers and it is difficult to hold

Everyone is different. I need XL gloves but find the T20 fine for the average (18-55) lens and primes without bracket.
I have one for when I use 55-200 but this lens is hardly used so it will shortly be sold.
I will keep the bracket as I plan to give the 10-24 a good tryout this spring.

Last edited:
X-T2 and the 18-55. Once you've used them for a while, you should know what other lenses you want/need. If you want/need the weather resistance, the 18-135 is the obvious choice (with a slightly limited budget.)

X-T2 and the 18-55. Once you've used them for a while, you should know what other lenses you want/need. If you want/need the weather resistance, the 18-135 is the obvious choice (with a slightly limited budget.)
I'd agree with this unless you've a clear idea on what focal lengths/lenses you want already.

I have the X-T10 and what I would consider average hands (I wear a medium/large glove!) and find the X-T10 no problem at all to handle. I'm currently considering an upgrade to something with an XTrans III, but thats more because I fancy the extra resolution for prints and a bigger viewfinder than for the ergonomics.

I have the X-T10 and what I would consider average hands (I wear a medium/large glove!) and find the X-T10 no problem at all to handle. I'm currently considering an upgrade to something with an XTrans III, but thats more because I fancy the extra resolution for prints and a bigger viewfinder than for the ergonomics.
Exactly my route. I upgraded to the X-T2 from the X-T10 and with the Metro grip attached, there wasn't really much difference in size.

The T10 was fine in size, just fancied the extra resolution and got a good deal with me trade in bonus, cash back and free grip.

I'd agree with this unless you've a clear idea on what focal lengths/lenses you want already.

Me to.

Looking through my LR catalogue i've got 316 images shot at 18mm, 303 shot at 23mm (or near enough to make no difference), 164 shot at 35mm (or as near as) and 74 shot at 55mm and then all the rest are at odds and sods in-between (an nothing with more than 3 or 4 images at it).

Based on that I could probably go 18mm, 23mm, 35mm and 56mm primes and not really miss out on any images and maybe bump image quality a touch, but there is something comforting about having the flexibility of the zoom range and not having to change lenses whilst wandering around + the 18-55 image quality is pretty damn good anyway!

I'll maybe add a 10-24 next and see where I go from there.

Whatcha reckon?

If you can try a X-T2/1 and a X-T20/10 personally if your happy wither smaller size I would plump for a X-T20. The Fuji refub shop has the 20 and the 18-55 kit for £899.

Saying that if you close to Abingdon I have a X-T2 and a 20 you could have a feel.

Yes, well I did say IMO :). I'm not the only one, though. I find the bare X-T10 usable, but I prefer the handling with the L-bracket, as it also adds a bit of front grip.

Edit: just to add that I see this as a good thing, as it means I have no motivation ever to remove it, and the Arca-Swiss is there for when I'm working with a tripod.

Last edited:

Whatcha reckon?

Either the X-T2 + XF 18-55mm or the X-T20 + XF 18-55mm. Both are great cameras ( I have both ) and the kit lens is a cracker imo.

Thanks for the comments and discussion on my question guys.

I'm pretty set on getting the 18-55 but still not sure on body, xt1 or xt2 and see how I get on with the camera. Looking forward to this, got to shift a bit of excess kit first...

I'm pretty set on getting the 18-55 but still not sure on body, xt1 or xt2 and see how I get on with the camera. Looking forward to this, got to shift a bit of excess kit first...

I would definitely recommend visiting a dealer or shop who has both bodies so you can handle them and see which one feels best to you. I was trying to decide between the X-T2 and X-T20 but handling both in a Fuji centre was a big help as there is quite a difference in the size and feel.

If money isn't an issue, I'm not sure why you wouldnt get the xt2. Superior sensor, auto focus and handling... Seems like a no brainer to me

"Superior Sensor" is debatable. I'm still to be convinced there is anything better about it other than the inclusion of more phase detect pixels.

If you don't need to be constantly shooting moving stuff, or don't mind putting the effort in to hone your technique when you do, save the cash and go for the T1.

"Superior Sensor" is debatable. I'm still to be convinced there is anything better about it other than the inclusion of more phase detect pixels.

If you don't need to be constantly shooting moving stuff, or don't mind putting the effort in to hone your technique when you do, save the cash and go for the T1.

At the moment I am leaning that way to be honest, investing in lenses is always said to be the wiser than an expensive body. Hopefully those lenses will still be good when the x-T4 comes out!

My favourite 12 images from 2017. All with Fuji gear, mostly the XT1:
Best of 2017 by Ian, on Flickr
What a fabulous selection you have picked out absolutely love the staircase/roof shot but there isn't a bad one amongst them great work !

Just a simple candid street style Fujigraph taken at London (St James's Park) UK of a young lady sitting in the park taking notes.
I did actually post a mono version of this snap and it was suggested that I did a colour version, so here it is.

X-T2, 55-200mm Lens, 1/180th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld.
Notes In The Park (C)-03172C by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

I think i may have commented on this shot elsewhere but never the less still think its a fabulous natural shot GR8 capture !(y) :fuji:

Back