The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Pleased to say my 10-24 zoom arrived this week, got the best price from Selfridges of all places, just have to remember to claim the double cashback now... Hoping to give it a run out this weekend.

This picture is a bit more abstract than my usual offerings. I would like to have tried it at f/8 and a longer exposure, but the pavement was only about a foot wide and the road quite busy. If anyone knows what these things actually are, do comment! :)

Lost structures
by David Hallett, on Flickr

ooh i do like the simplicity of this shot and the lovely shades of colour(y)

Thanks for the thought, George, I appreciate you taking the time to comment. I was going for a square crop, which works better for me kept tight, but your comment made me try a vertical 5:4 to get a bit more air around the trees. Something like this?

Portrait crop
by dave.hallett on Talk Photography

As always another cracking piece of mono work full range of tones and excellent detail(y)

Here's an old photo (taken 27/09/14) from me when I first owned a XF60mm f/2.4R lens, I got so lucky with the flying geese, as I was about to click the shutter I actually heard them fly into the frame when composing.

Geese by APM Photography, on Flickr

XP1 - XF60mm - iso 200 - handheld @ f/9

Excellent piece of work (y):fuji:

"Superior Sensor" is debatable. I'm still to be convinced there is anything better about it other than the inclusion of more phase detect pixels.

If you don't need to be constantly shooting moving stuff, or don't mind putting the effort in to hone your technique when you do, save the cash and go for the T1.

X-Trans3 is sharper, and has better shadow recovery (and obviously more MP), downside is it costs more!

For static stuff only though with a fixed budget I'd invest in glass and technique over the body (so agree with @Alan Clogwyn)

Quite pleased with this snap as it made "Flickr Explore".:)
Just a simple Fujigraph taken at Brighton Sussex UK of an Ornate Lamp Post that I found attractive.
I juggled about with this snap in PP to try and make a high contrast mono presentation.

X-T2, 55-200mm Lens, 1/680th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld.
Ornate Lamp Post (1) (M)-03171M by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

Wow ! Cracking quality image

Found a pano I shot on my London wander the week before Christmas that I had completely forgotten I had taken! 7 shots handheld...

v2

As always a top drawer piece of work !

X-Trans3 is sharper, and has better shadow recovery (and obviously more MP), downside is it costs more!

For static stuff only though with a fixed budget I'd invest in glass and technique over the body (so agree with @Alan Clogwyn)

That's not what my tests showed though, my test showed it was much noisier at base ISO and therefore looked a lot less crisp and clear when compared with the T1. Because of the noise shadow recovery also looked worse sooner, but was also more necessary because the T2 underexposed about 0.3EV compared to the T1.

As I have no need for the AF improvements (though they were nice!) the T2 was sold sharpish. I'm looking forward to the H1 though.

"Superior Sensor" is debatable. I'm still to be convinced there is anything better about it other than the inclusion of more phase detect pixels.

If you don't need to be constantly shooting moving stuff, or don't mind putting the effort in to hone your technique when you do, save the cash and go for the T1.

I'm not sure. I've moved from the xe2 to the xt20, so the same transition, and I've noticed a dramatic difference in how it handles dynamic range.

I think i may have commented on this shot elsewhere but never the less still think its a fabulous natural shot GR8 capture !(y) :fuji:

Thank you kindly Sir, I sure do appreciate your reply.(y)

George.

Quite pleased with this snap as it made "Flickr Explore".:)
Just a simple Fujigraph taken at Brighton Sussex UK of an Ornate Lamp Post that I found attractive.
I juggled about with this snap in PP to try and make a high contrast mono presentation.

X-T2, 55-200mm Lens, 1/680th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld.
Ornate Lamp Post (1) (M)-03171M by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

I like that a lot, George. Is there a slight slant to the right on it, though?

A bonus shot from a visit to the V&A museum yesterday. I was initially planning to scout out a shot of the hall in the Natural History Museum but the entry queue was half a mile long so I diverted to the V&A for a shot of the entrance hall. That hasn't worked out quite as hoped but having given up on that I noticed a handily-placed cabinet which gave this shot:

VnA by ian marsh, on Flickr

Again, not a novel shot. The cabinet top was pretty dusty but the patch where the camera would rest was much cleaner. I suspect quite a few cameras have been put here recently.

Just purchased Fuji XT2 with kit lens. As this is a new system to me and on flicking through the manual. It will take me a while to adjust to the settings etc and how to access . Will be reading through all this thread and looking at the number of pages it will take me a while:eek::eek:.
Whilst I start that I have a couple of questions
1. Which batteries do you use. I will definitely want to purchase a couple of spares.
2. My canon camera has a lovely flip screen that I can close to,protect the screen. What screen protector would you advise and what are the negatives if any of using these.

Many thanks in advance for any replies. Sure I will find the answer somewhere in these pages but with work and life it will take me a while to plough through.:(

Just purchased Fuji XT2 with kit lens. As this is a new system to me and on flicking through the manual. It will take me a while to adjust to the settings etc and how to access . Will be reading through all this thread and looking at the number of pages it will take me a while:eek::eek:.
1. Which batteries do you use. I will definitely want to purchase a couple of spares.
2. My canon camera has a lovely flip screen that I can close to,protect the screen. What screen protector would you advise and what are the negatives if any of using these.

Many thanks in advance for any replies. Sure I will find the answer somewhere in these pages but with work and life it will take me a while to plough through.:(

Regarding batteries, Ex-Pro White.

Others will advise which screen protector ‘cos I can’t remember what I have! But no downsides that I am aware of.

Here's a colour shot from the same location as the mono one the other day. I don't often blow my highlights, but on this occasion I thought it was OK, particularly considering my inadvertent choice of ISO 1600 (sigh).

I like it Dave and the highlights don't bother me at all - if anything they add to the image rather than detract from it.

IMO, blown highlights with a correctly exposed main subject are preferable to overprocessed images.

Two randoms from this morning - didn't hit the focus fully on the eye but realised I was in auto mode at the time !

Both transferred to my phone and processed using Snapseed.

View attachment 118253

View attachment 118254

Two nice Fujigraphs Sir, with some good colour & composition in the cat shot.(y)

"Hope you don't mind me saying. I think boat shot is good but has potential to be much better, if it were mine I'd crop quite a bit from the foreground even to the extent of making it into a view format presentation, I'd also clone out that bird at the top of the frame and bump up the contrast a bit. Only my opinion for what its worth"

George.

Two nice Fujigraphs Sir, with some good colour & composition in the cat shot.(y)

"Hope you don't mind me saying. I think boat shot is good but has potential to be much better, if it were mine I'd crop quite a bit from the foreground even to the extent of making it into a view format presentation, I'd also clone out that bird at the top of the frame and bump up the contrast a bit. Only my opinion for what its worth"

George.

Hey George, thanks, and always happy to listen to suggestions - as I say, this was processed on my phone so when I get a chance to have a proper go on the computer, will definitely give your suggestions a go.

Went out today and got talking to Anonymous for the Voiceless. A great bunch of people highlighting the evil killings of farm animals for humans, I won`t post any gory shots as they are going to the group.

Anonymous for the Voiceless by Dave, on Flickr

Cube of the Truth by Dave, on Flickr

Right guys, this thread looks busy so rather than start a new one... Budget approx £1,600, happy with second hand, do I go for an xt1 or xt2?

I shoot a bit of everything, landscapes, family, street, no sports or wildlife. I'm pretty set on picking up the 18-55 (would like the 16-55 but seems like it is quite heavy in comparison to the other fuji lenses) a 23 f/2 and perhaps the 55-200 and in the future the 56 f/1.2. I've read plenty about both the xt1 and xt2 but can't decide wether I'd be better off/happier with the better sensor and all round improved camera but only the 18-55 and a prime, or go for the xt1 and have more choice of lenses.

Whatcha reckon?
i would go with a used X-T2 and used XC16-50mm ois and a Xc 50-230mm ois all well within budget and the two XC lenses offer astonishing value even if the are polycarbonate the optics are still top grade Fujinon :)
and you could possibly even stretch to a used prime.
don't rule out the X-T20 either :)

Last edited:

these may help ?
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeyT3bbNzVaYYEBPWpfe804FcXQF_39zW

Batteries
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ex-Pro-W...562597&hash=item5b2657e49c:g:66gAAOSwhqhaCujl

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_s...ilm+NP-W126,electronics,342&crid=CFUO7471RGXM

Last edited:
A bonus shot from a visit to the V&A museum yesterday. I was initially planning to scout out a shot of the hall in the Natural History Museum but the entry queue was half a mile long so I diverted to the V&A for a shot of the entrance hall. That hasn't worked out quite as hoped but having given up on that I noticed a handily-placed cabinet which gave this shot:

VnA by ian marsh, on Flickr

Again, not a novel shot. The cabinet top was pretty dusty but the patch where the camera would rest was much cleaner. I suspect quite a few cameras have been put here recently.

Wow i would love to have that in my portfolio stunning (y)

Here's a colour shot from the same location as the mono one the other day. I don't often blow my highlights, but on this occasion I thought it was OK, particularly considering my inadvertent choice of ISO 1600 (sigh).

Red and gold
by David Hallett, on Flickr

Certainly works for me another super capture !

Went out today and got talking to Anonymous for the Voiceless. A great bunch of people highlighting the evil killings of farm animals for humans, I won`t post any gory shots as they are going to the group.

Anonymous for the Voiceless by Dave, on Flickr

Cube of the Truth by Dave, on Flickr
Dave, lovely captures, that XF35mm f/2 lens is mighty sharp Sir.........superb.

Regards;
Pete

Back