The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

A few posts back ( this thread moves fast !) I posted a shot of our new cat - decided to try a B&W conversion using Snapseed on my phone and quite pleased with the result :

Untitled by Gary Smith, on Flickr

Conversion has worked well its just a shame that Snapseed isn't available as a desk top option as well a phone and tablet. (y)

Can I get a little help? I've noticed over the last few days when shooting in aperture priority, the ISO is changing randomly. I took these two shots this morning as an example. Both taken literally one after the other. Any idea why the ISO would change? is this a user issue ( I suspect yes) or a camera issue?

Image 1: 23mm f1.4 1/80 ISO 800

DSCF2959 by Nick Brennan, on Flickr

Image 2: 23mm f1.4 1/80 ISO 640

DSCF2960 by Nick Brennan, on Flickr

Can I get a little help? I've noticed over the last few days when shooting in aperture priority, the ISO is changing randomly. I took these two shots this morning as an example. Both taken literally one after the other. Any idea why the ISO would change? is this a user issue ( I suspect yes) or a camera issue?

Image 1: 23mm f1.4 1/80 ISO 800

DSCF2959 by Nick Brennan, on Flickr

Image 2: 23mm f1.4 1/80 ISO 640

DSCF2960 by Nick Brennan, on Flickr

I guess you’re Shooting manual with auto ISO under artificial light. Pretty normal behaviour. Seems white balance is also auto.

I guess you’re Shooting manual with auto ISO under artificial light. Pretty normal behaviour. Seems white balance is also auto.

Thanks for the reply Trevor. No, I was in auto ISO auto shutter speed too. But yes under artificial light. Although it was doing it on Saturday when I was at the Leigh on sea shoot. Same settings other than I used the compensation dial, and obviously outside.
There is a distinct possibility I'm missing something obvious here to be honest. I'm nowhere near on top of this beast yet

Thanks for the reply Trevor. No, I was in auto ISO auto shutter speed too. But yes under artificial light. Although it was doing it on Saturday when I was at the Leigh on sea shoot. Same settings other than I used the compensation dial, and obviously outside.
There is a distinct possibility I'm missing something obvious here to be honest. I'm nowhere near on top of this beast yet

You are handing over the choice to the camera by selecting Auto shutter and auto ISO... so quite naturally it is making the decision for itself. If you do not want it to do so don't use auto Iso. In using compensation you are throwing in another variable. where it may change the shutter speed or ISO to do the compensation. Nothing wrong with the camera just your methodology is confusing.

You are handing over the choice to the camera by selecting Auto shutter and auto ISO... so quite naturally it is making the decision for itself. If you do not want it to do so don't use auto Iso. In using compensation you are throwing in another variable. where it may change the shutter speed or ISO to do the compensation. Nothing wrong with the camera just your methodology is confusing.
My thoughts exactly. This camera is a big learning curve from the 6d. But I'll persevere. Thanks for the reply

Thankyou for your reply with links. Ex pro look popular will review tonight when I get home from work.

Those you tube videos look interesting thank you for the link. I will certainly give these a viewing. prefer learning this way than reading i seem to boors' it better, but manual good as resource in the field.

Just purchased Fuji XT2 with kit lens. As this is a new system to me and on flicking through the manual. It will take me a while to adjust to the settings etc and how to access . Will be reading through all this thread and looking at the number of pages it will take me a while:eek::eek:.
Whilst I start that I have a couple of questions
1. Which batteries do you use. I will definitely want to purchase a couple of spares.
2. My canon camera has a lovely flip screen that I can close to,protect the screen. What screen protector would you advise and what are the negatives if any of using these.

Many thanks in advance for any replies. Sure I will find the answer somewhere in these pages but with work and life it will take me a while to plough through.:(

A little bump everyone. Any advice on screen protectors or are most people not using these.? Thanks for response re batteries folks. I hope I've acknowledged all. Only up to page 60.... Think I have a way to go. Just done a quick search on here for screen protectors nothing came up. Will search via google tonight before I make my mind up.

A little bump everyone. Any advice on screen protectors or are most people not using these.? Thanks for response re batteries folks. I hope I've acknowledged all. Only up to page 60.... Think I have a way to go. Just done a quick search on here for screen protectors nothing came up. Will search via google tonight before I make my mind up.

I just bought a cheap £5 glass screen protector off Ebay. Just search ebay there are hundreds.

As theres no touch screen it doesnt matter too much as long as its see through, the right size and protects the screen.

I got mine from Amazon for my X-T2. GGS Larmor Screen protector, once it`s on you don`t even know it`s there :)

Just a simple Fujigraph taken at Folkestone Kent UK of a line of local Fishing Boats in The Harbour all "Ready For The Off". I posted a mono version of this snap a little while ago and thought I'd give the colour version an outing.

X-T1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/550th @ F8, ISO-200, Handheld.
Ready For The Off (C)-03174C by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

I like this George, and I’ve never seen a purple boat before!

I like this George, and I’ve never seen a purple boat before!

Thank you kindly Sir, I sure do appreciate your reply.(y)

George.

This river is a long-term project of mine. Slowly working my way towards pictures of it that I like better. It's a very visually complex environment, a bit like shooting in woodland.

Funnily enough, I took a second version of this one at a longer exposure, but liked it less. Apparently 1/5s was about right...

In the flow
by David Hallett, on Flickr

Parked the bike near Tower Bridge and walked from there down the Thames Path to The Cutty Sark pub in Greenwich. It was further than I thought ! Got this from somewhere near the Hilton hotel Rotherhithe sort of area (I don't lknow where I was, but somewhere there on that stretch). I wasn't carrying a tripod. Just the XT2 and standard zoom. Handheld.

DSCF0043.web.jpeg.jpg

Also saw these. Just playing to scratch an itch really.

DSCF0053.bw.web.jpg

DSCF0065.bw.web.jpg

DSCF0059.bw.web.jpg

Pub was great, lovely plate of belly pork, a couple of beers and a lovely bottle of wine.

DSCF0076.web.jpg

I didn't take any on the way back. It was a long walk and I had to make tracks, plus it was late and I was a bit worried about my bike because the soft, army panniers are not lockable. It was still there though, and everything was still intact.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I'm currently a nikon shooter
was looking at a fuji xt10
will they take my nikon lens's ?
how do you rate the xt10
looking at it for a holiday camera and some portrait

I'm currently a nikon shooter
was looking at a fuji xt10
will they take my nikon lens's ?
how do you rate the xt10
looking at it for a holiday camera and some portrait

If they have an aperture ring (D or earlier) then yes, with an adaptor.

G series no.

Have gone for the X-T1 in the end, opted for a used one from WEX so that I get a warranty for a bit of piece of mind, have also bought an 18-55 on here which will both arrive tomorrow. I'll see how I get on with it over the weekend and then will see what other lenses I may want.

Currently on my radar are the 35mm f/2, Samyang 12mm and possibly a 55-230 as a cheap tele option for the rarer times I'll want that.

Have gone for the X-T1 in the end, opted for a used one from WEX so that I get a warranty for a bit of piece of mind, have also bought an 18-55 on here which will both arrive tomorrow. I'll see how I get on with it over the weekend and then will see what other lenses I may want.

Currently on my radar are the 35mm f/2, Samyang 12mm and possibly a 55-230 as a cheap tele option for the rarer times I'll want that.
Sounds like a good combination. Hope you enjoy the new toy when it arrives and look forward to seeing some of your work.

That's a positive result Sir, Welcome aboard."ENJOY".(y)

George.

Just a simple candid street style Fujigraph taken at Folkestone Kent UK of a young lady taking a break and enjoying her cigarette.

X-T1, 55-200mm Lens, 1/180th @ F6.4, ISO-200, Handheld.
Drag Break-03053 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

George.

Guys I used to use Yongnuo triggers with my speedlights when I used canon gear and since moving to Fuji I have been looking at the Goddox system of flashes. Am I correct in thinking I would only need one Goddox trigger and that would control all speedlights rather than one for each unit?

If they have an aperture ring (D or earlier) then yes, with an adaptor.

G series no.

Technically it's possible to get an adaptor that will change the aperture for G lenses. The catch is that it doesn't do it in single f stops, and you have to work out what aperture you have set by the change in shutter speed. I've done it successfully but I can't really recommend it.

This and your other photographs really show how good the "kit lens" is. Well done.

Appreciate you taking the time to comment, cheers. Yes, at this point I only have 2 lenses for the Fuji: the 18-55 kit and Samyang 12mm that I use for landscapes. I haven't invested in more lenses as I'm still not sure that Fuji will be my primary (only) system. I broke my Canon camera a few months back and haven't replaced it yet, but have held onto a few lenses just in case I get another Canon body.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cracking sunny day in Brighton today, X-T2 + XF 35mm f2. First one I left dark as think it looks better, but in the summer I will go back as it is just fantastic in this church.

Baby Jesus by Dave, on Flickr

Royal Pavilion by Dave, on Flickr

St Nicholas of Myra by Dave, on Flickr

A few posts back ( this thread moves fast !) I posted a shot of our new cat - decided to try a B&W conversion using Snapseed on my phone and quite pleased with the result :

Untitled by Gary Smith, on Flickr

Studio shoot at tale end of last year Fuji X-T1 & FX 56mm f1.2APD @f1.4 1/200th iso 5000

. by Philip Higgins, on Flickr

X-T1 with XF 18-135mm
Stacy
Stacy by Philip Higgins, on Flickr

Snap from tonight in my wee studio ... X-T1/18-55

Michaela by CFC Photo, on Flickr

Another snap from last night... X-T1/18-55

Just a simple Fujigraph of a local church at Folkestone Kent UK with the never completed bell tower. As you can see in the snap there is only one bell when in fact there should have been two. Apparently as with a lot of things finance ran out before the second bell could be purchased.

X-T2, 18-55mm Lens, 1/500th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld.
Church Bell Tower (C)-03708C by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

George.

Went for a walk at lunchtime to have a play with doing some intimate landscape stuff in the woods, came back with this triptych...

DSCF2443-Edit by Ash Smith, on Flickr

Last one from me from last night ... X-T1/18-55

Parked the bike near Tower Bridge and walked from there down the Thames Path to The Cutty Sark pub in Greenwich. It was further than I thought ! Got this from somewhere near the Hilton hotel Rotherhithe sort of area (I don't lknow where I was, but somewhere there on that stretch). I wasn't carrying a tripod. Just the XT2 and standard zoom. Handheld.

View attachment 118425

Also saw these. Just playing to scratch an itch really.

View attachment 118426

View attachment 118427

View attachment 118428

Pub was great, lovely plate of belly pork, a couple of beers and a lovely bottle of wine.

View attachment 118429

I didn't take any on the way back. It was a long walk and I had to make tracks, plus it was late and I was a bit worried about my bike because the soft, army panniers are not lockable. It was still there though, and everything was still intact.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Quality shots chaps,

Thats the trouble with this thread :). dont pop in for a couple of days and it takes you ages to catch up.

This river is a long-term project of mine. Slowly working my way towards pictures of it that I like better. It's a very visually complex environment, a bit like shooting in woodland.

Funnily enough, I took a second version of this one at a longer exposure, but liked it less. Apparently 1/5s was about right...

In the flow
by David Hallett, on Flickr

Nice project David, Ive been meaning to ask do you go to the Oxford Flickr Thursday meetings?

Last edited:
Back