The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Can anyone recommend a cheapish pocket flash for my new (to me) X-T2?
I just want a small lightweight one for fill flash.
I hardly ever use flash, but when I do I use a Nissin i40. Not that I know anything about flashes.

This looks outstanding on my phone. Lovely shot

Thanks mate, was a bit of luck with the timing, but I'm pretty pleased with it!

Love this Ash, a great direction your on right now, quirky/abstract, pushing the photo boundries -- healthy outlook!

Regards;
Pete

Thanks Pete, it's a direction I'm really enjoying, so I think the urban landscapes and misty trees will be taking a slightly longer break than anticipated!

Enjoying it so much in fact, here's another...

v2

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a cheapish pocket flash for my new (to me) X-T2?
I just want a small lightweight one for fill flash.

Nissin i40 Sir, cracking little bit of kit with quite a bit of power for its size.(y)

George.

Thanks mate, was a bit of luck with the timing, but I'm pretty pleased with it!

Thanks Pete, it's a direction I'm really enjoying, so I think the urban landscapes and misty trees will be taking a slightly longer break than anticipated!

Enjoying it so much in fact, here's another...

v2
Very 'film like', love the kinda 1970's style..........chic! Awesome processing.

:)

I had a meeting cancelled yesterday so had time to kill and, by good fortune, my camera gear with me. Nothing special, just two classic shots of the Millennium Bridge and then one of the Naval College with a lot of interesting clouds:

Tahmes I by Ian, on Flickr

Thames II by Ian, on Flickr

Thames III by Ian, on Flickr

Very nice set of Fujigraphs Sir, and really well presented with #1 being my fav’ of the three.(y)

George.

Possible London Meet

I know there was a bit of interest, and I was looking at dates, but...

This weekend I could only do Saturday PM
Following weekend is the Photography show

So how does the 24th/25th sound?

By which time sunset should be around 6pm, so an afternoon session may be a good idea.

Anybody interested let me know and I'll generate another thread.

Steve

Would/Could be up for this, any idea of times/ meeting places?

I was going to stick a link to the thread in the Meeting Place section but I see you've found it, Rob! :D

Just covering my bases Nod. :)

Please see my note in the other thread.

Apologies for having to pull out, not at all happy at all....

I am going to be in town Thursday afternoon - I'm going to meet some friends for a drink early evening, so thought I'd hit town around 3PM and spend a couple of hours shooting...

Last edited:
Does anyone use the Samyang/Rokinon 12mm F2 with their Fujis? I struggle to get consistently sharp images with mine even when using focus peaking and manual focus zoom on a tripod. Even when all the scene is in focus according to the focus peaking/manual zoom, when viewed on a bigger screen it usually isn't with the background often soft. Usually use it around F5-6 if not doing Astro.

Does anyone use the Samyang/Rokinon 12mm F2 with their Fujis? I struggle to get consistently sharp images with mine even when using focus peaking and manual focus zoom on a tripod. Even when all the scene is in focus according to the focus peaking/manual zoom, when viewed on a bigger screen it usually isn't with the background often soft. Usually use it around F5-6 if not doing Astro.
Funnily enough, I took this about half-an-hour ago with the Samyang 12mm on the X-Pro1, which is not the best camera for manual focussing. The key is to stop down and use hyperfocal focussing - at this focal length there is a lot of leeway if you stop it down a bit.

High Way, Settle by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

I've a Samyang copy. Mine seems fine and gives decently sharp shots at f8. I don't usually bother with focus peaking. I set it at infinity (according to the lens markings, not at the hard stop of the lens) and rely on the depth of field to be large enough. Try taking a series of shots from infinity and slowly moving the focus closer and closer - does it ever get sharp(er)?

I find zooming in essential but otherwise have no problems.

I've a Samyang copy. Mine seems fine and gives decently sharp shots at f8. I don't usually bother with focus peaking. I set it at infinity (according to the lens markings, not at the hard stop of the lens) and rely on the depth of field to be large enough. Try taking a series of shots from infinity and slowly moving the focus closer and closer - does it ever get sharp(er)?

I think a few garden benchmark tests are in order. Recently used it for some Northern Lights shots for which the F2 was perfect. During the day using it around F5.6 - F8 was less impressive. Im also beginning to trust the X-T2 focus peaking accuracy less and less.

Ian, the markings are not super-accurate, or copies vary considerably, The lens is probably sharpest between F5.6 and F8, and I find that my focus is usually set much closer than I first thought I'd need it, often between 1m and 3m to get the sharpest image.

Ian, the markings are not super-accurate, or copies vary considerably, The lens is probably sharpest between F5.6 and F8, and I find that my focus is usually set much closer than I first thought I'd need it, often between 1m and 3m to get the sharpest image.
Agreed, that's why I suggested varying the focus slowly to see if things improved. My copy seems reasonably accurate, at least for distant focussing.

:groan:

I did know the reason for it at one point... I asked when I was looking into astrophotography (lol) but damned if I can remember now...
One possible reason for going *slightly* past is to ensure the lens will reach infinity for astro work in a wide variety of temperatures.

Is anyone tempted by the laowa 9mm for the Fuji? I'm really considering it as it's roughly £350 only!
It does look really good from what I've seen! If I didn't have the 10-24mm I'd certainly consider it.

I was trying for a dream-like look in this Cambridge shot, without resorting to Orton effects or anything too cheesy. I like to think it resembles a still from a rather odd Sixties movie :)

Uncertainty at the gate
by David Hallett, on Flickr

I love this, and my first thought before I read your comment was it looks like a still from a Beatles video

Back