The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Wow....

I've booked a workshop for Thursday, so hired a 50-140 f2.8. Having a play this afternoon, and the following was shot at 3200ISO, handheld at 1/20th sec (f3.2).

I'm just amazed at the quality, this is the JPG, SOC, just put into PS to resize and add a frame.

Fizz2
by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Looks like I'm going to enjoy using this for the few days I have it...

I’ve been offered a used 35mm f2 for a decent price. I currently have the following;
16-55 2.8
23 1.4
56 1.2
My question is do I need it? The length is covered by the 16-55 but the 35 is another prime I could add to my arsenal. Just not sure I’d use it. Does anyone else have this lens? If so, how does it sit in your line up?

Just a simple candid street style Fujigraph taken at Canterbury Kent UK of a guy with his Drum Box doing a bit of street playing.

X-T1, 55-200mm Lens, 1/450th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld.
Muso (7)-03214 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

Love this George. It’s a really crisp image and a lovely B&W

I’ve been offered a used 35mm f2 for a decent price. I currently have the following;
16-55 2.8
23 1.4
56 1.2
My question is do I need it? The length is covered by the 16-55 but the 35 is another prime I could add to my arsenal. Just not sure I’d use it. Does anyone else have this lens? If so, how does it sit in your line up?

Personally, if it was the f1.4 I would have said go for it, but I'm not sure what the f2 will really offer, other than maybe half a stop of light?

Personally, if it was the f1.4 I would have said go for it, but I'm not sure what the f2 will really offer, other than maybe half a stop of light?
Agreed. I'd say you're sufficiently covered here by the 16-55mm.

Only caveat would be if you wanted a small WR lens for street photography.

I actually meant to add that too. 1.4 would be a much better option

Love this George. It’s a really crisp image and a lovely B&W

Thank you kindly Sir, I sure do appreciate you takin’ the time to reply.(y)

George.

16-55 2.8
23 1.4
56 1.2
It’s the only fixed length auto lens I own. Sits nice above the 10-24 as I rarely go longer. Better than the 1.4 to me as it’s on my X-Pro2 so it doesn’t obstruct the OVF.

It’s the only fixed length auto lens I own. Sits nice above the 10-24 as I rarely go longer. Better than the 1.4 to me as it’s on my X-Pro2 so it doesn’t obstruct the OVF.
Likewise (only mine is the 1.4 on my X-T2). Have the 55-200mm also, but that's for The more intimate landscape shots [emoji4]

16-55 2.8
23 1.4
56 1.2
I have the 35mm f1.4. This being said, I haven't put it into good practice, or rather, not enough to put me in a position to argue it's merits from experience.

It's worth noting that a photo shared a couple of pages back with a child on the beach inspired me to start using it again. It can, in the right hands, produce a pleasing bokeh.

The latter point is probably lost on you considering you own the portrait 56mm f1.2.

Whilst as you point out, the 16-55 covers the length, the 35mm is much more conspicuous. That argument provides some weight when you also consider one the 35mm's primary uses - street. This was my reason for purchase - however - now I must get out and use it!

Last edited:
Out for a walk down to Glen Nevis with my Fuji XT2,looking at the waterfalls.They were very spectacular with lots of water because of the melting snow.Shots taken with XT2 with 10-24mm and lee little stopper.Sorry about leaving "Billi Bag" in foreground.

Attachments

• ww2.jpg
    ww2.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 30
  • ww3.jpg
    ww3.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 26
Wow....

I've booked a workshop for Thursday, so hired a 50-140 f2.8. Having a play this afternoon, and the following was shot at 3200ISO, handheld at 1/20th sec (f3.2).

I'm just amazed at the quality, this is the JPG, SOC, just put into PS to resize and add a frame.

Fizz2
by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Looks like I'm going to enjoy using this for the few days I have it...
I've really been toying with the idea of buying one of these for a while and have resisted due to how much I'm enjoying using primes. Couple of shots I missed recently because I couldn't get into position quickly enough and was just too far away with the 56.

Do you own primes? How does it compare?

16-55 2.8
23 1.4
56 1.2
I can't really imagine when you'd use it but you'll obviously know better than me. I have a mate who bought the 23 f2 recently because of the good reviews and really doesn't like it. Said it's the softest fuji he's owned from max aperture and these are meant to be cut from the same cloth. Blazing fast to focus though. I owned the 35 but couldn't bring myself to remove the 56 from my camera at the time.

Hi Scott, and thanks first of all!

It's in Port Glasgow [emoji4]
Ah right. I Google it and it said Liverpool and I'm thinking surely you weren't out doing the hydro one night and in Liverpool the next. I might check it out.

UcgNN9q.jpg

I can't really imagine when you'd use it but you'll obviously know better than me. I have a mate who bought the 23 f2 recently because of the good reviews and really doesn't like it. Said it's the softest fuji he's owned from max aperture and these are meant to be cut from the same cloth. Blazing fast to focus though. I owned the 35 but couldn't bring myself to remove the 56 from my camera at the time.

I didn't go for it in the end. I second shot another wedding on Wednesday, and I used the 16-55 for 90% of the images. I used the 56 maybe twice, and the 23 maybe twice. I'm finding I love the IQ of the 16-55 more and more

Ah right. I Google it and it said Liverpool and I'm thinking surely you weren't out doing the hydro one night and in Liverpool the next. I might check it out.
Haha definitely not Liverpool. It's worth a visit, particularly if you get a good sunrise / sunset imo.

Where you from, Scott?

Perch Rock Lighthouse is in New Brighton, near Liverpool, Perch LIghthouse is in Port Glasgow.

Perch Rock

170401 Perch Rock Lighthouse 1
by David Yeoman, on Flickr
Really like that, David. Port Glasgow does have a lack of beach! Here's a shot of the setting itself (industrial units are down the left hand side and there was a CalMac ferry about twenty yards behind me being refurbished [emoji16]).20180419_201855.jpg

16-55 2.8
23 1.4
56 1.2

I have a similar selection of lenses and had the 35mm for a while but ended up moving it on. I'm just not a huge fan of the '50mm' focal length. I love the 23mm for the '35mm' look and so the 35mmF2 didn't get a look in. It is a lovely lens though, nice and small, WR and sharp, I just didn't fall in love with it.

I have a similar selection of lenses and had the 35mm for a while but ended up moving it on. I'm just not a huge fan of the '50mm' focal length. I love the 23mm for the '35mm' look and so the 35mmF2 didn't get a look in. It is a lovely lens though, nice and small, WR and sharp, I just didn't fall in love with it.

Agreed on all of those points, although the 16-55 is my go to lens now. Just love it for weddings and architecture

Back