The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Interesting to read the thoughts on the 35mm - I was looking to get the 1.4 to complement the 18-55 and hadn't really considered the 23mm - might actually go and try them before I buy anything !

Haven't used my X-T20 in months for various reasons, but had a wander round the Square Mile and the Thames today and these are the first couple that I have processed - exported direct to my phone and processed in Snapseed..

Untitled by Gary Smith, on Flickr

Untitled by Gary Smith, on Flickr

Two different treatments of the same image, taken handheld with the X-T2 and 10-24mm. I'd be interested in hearing which works best.

I end up with almost all of my stuff as B&W so would have expected to go for that version, but think I prefer the colour version this time. Think maybe that the tones stand out better in the colour - not sure. Lovely scene either way.

Two different treatments of the same image, taken handheld with the X-T2 and 10-24mm. I'd be interested in hearing which works best.

cottage by Brian M, on Flickr

cottage_mono by Brian M, on Flickr
Mono works best for me, too. The clouds really beg for it. It does seem a little over-sharpened or grainy to my taste, though.

Hmm. Well, I like the square crop better, but would maybe pull it in a little more to lose the bars of the gate on the edge,which are quite distracting. To me the most interesting part of the shot is the road leading to the mountain, and too much cottage is pulling the eye away from where you want it to go.

As regards mono vs colour, the mono version ought to win, because the colour palette of the colour one isn't really working for me, especially with that rather cyan sky.

But the problem is that the whole picture doesn't read as clearly in mono - there's just too much going on. I think part of what's happening is that (guessing here), you've pulled the highlights down a lot (haloing on the horizon and the roof edge) while opening up the shadows and the sense of the light has rather disappeared. Try reprocessing with less in the way of global adjustment and more selective dodge and burn to direct the viewer's eye, and I think the mono version could be a winner.

If you want to persist a bit more with the colour one, try playing around with split toning to see what sort of shifts in the colour balance might work. You can always go back and reprocess with the end in mind if you find one that looks good but a bit too artificial.

Hope that's helpful!

Two very nice presentations of the same shot Sir, both work really well for me but as you've asked for a preference then my choice would be for the mono.(y)

George.

Mono for me Brian the image for me is mainly about the building and for me that works best in mono.

Thanks Graham.

I end up with almost all of my stuff as B&W so would have expected to go for that version, but think I prefer the colour version this time. Think maybe that the tones stand out better in the colour - not sure. Lovely scene either way.

Thanks Gary.

Mono works best for me, too. The clouds really beg for it. It does seem a little over-sharpened or grainy to my taste, though.

Thanks Stephen - and you're right, I've over cooked it somewhat....

Mono for me too - it is cropped tighter and I like the square format

Thanks Andrew - square crop was last minute and only because when I went to post it on Instagram it defaulted to square and I liked the look.

Hmm. Well, I like the square crop better, but would maybe pull it in a little more to lose the bars of the gate on the edge,which are quite distracting. To me the most interesting part of the shot is the road leading to the mountain, and too much cottage is pulling the eye away from where you want it to go.

As regards mono vs colour, the mono version ought to win, because the colour palette of the colour one isn't really working for me, especially with that rather cyan sky.

But the problem is that the whole picture doesn't read as clearly in mono - there's just too much going on. I think part of what's happening is that (guessing here), you've pulled the highlights down a lot (haloing on the horizon and the roof edge) while opening up the shadows and the sense of the light has rather disappeared. Try reprocessing with less in the way of global adjustment and more selective dodge and burn to direct the viewer's eye, and I think the mono version could be a winner.

If you want to persist a bit more with the colour one, try playing around with split toning to see what sort of shifts in the colour balance might work. You can always go back and reprocess with the end in mind if you find one that looks good but a bit too artificial.

Hope that's helpful!

Very detailed and very helpful Dave, all valid points. Was trying a new workflow from a Youtube video, that's my only excuse! As I said above, I agree now that it's definitely been verdone.

Two very nice presentations of the same shot Sir, both work really well for me but as you've asked for a preference then my choice would be for the mono.(y)

George.

Thank you George!

Love the colours on the first one. Looks good in B&W, but I prefer the colour myself.

Ach not far away then! Now you've told me? I think I may have known this already.

Any decent locations out your way?
Really don't think so. There's barons haugh nature reserve in Motherwell but if it's landscapes then I really don't think so. I've seen a couple of really nice shots of a particular part of Strathclyde Country Park but it's real slow shutter speed stuff so I can't give it a go without the nd filter.

Last edited:
Hello all,

I'm Paul from Essex, I've posted this in the welcome forum but seeing as this thread is relevant to me I thought I'd post it here too.

I've never really taken many photographs, I've always left that to my partner, but the bug really hit me last December when I took a Hurtigruten cruise up (and down) the coast of Norway and was lucky enough to see the Northern Lights on 4 of the days.

I really regret not having a camera with me as the lights and the coastline were so spectacular.

So... when I got back I went and bought my first ever camera.

Being a super noob, I bought more camera then I knew what to do with (Fuji XT-2 and kit lens), and sat there looking at it for a month trying to work out how it all works!

I watched as many youtube videos as I could and read a couple of books but all the information was just sailing right over my head. So I enrolled on a photography course with The School of Photography and am happy to say that I'm starting to get to grips with both my camera and the skills required to make a great photograph.

I joined here so I could soak up the group knowledge which is kindly being shared to continue learning.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to contributing in the future.

I know you must be fed up with these now, so one last shot from the BWC workshop.... This is the dog otter who was waiting to chase some food into the lake...

X-T2 & XF50-140 f2.8 (which I have to return today :( )

DSCF6851 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr
You are joking right? How can anyone get fed up with the wonderful photos you've shared during the experiment!? They are enough to sell anyone the lens (only I won't be following that route - need to become familiar with those lens I already own).

Hello all,

I'm Paul from Essex, I've posted this in the welcome forum but seeing as this thread is relevant to me I thought I'd post it here too.

I've never really taken many photographs, I've always left that to my partner, but the bug really hit me last December when I took a Hurtigruten cruise up (and down) the coast of Norway and was lucky enough to see the Northern Lights on 4 of the days.

I really regret not having a camera with me as the lights and the coastline were so spectacular.

Being a super noob, I bought more camera then I knew what to do with (Fuji XT-2 and kit lens), and sat there looking at it for a month trying to work out how it all works!

I watched as many youtube videos as I could and read a couple of books but all the information was just sailing right over my head. So I enrolled on a photography course with The School of Photography and am happy to say that I'm starting to get to grips with both my camera and the skills required to make a great photograph.

I joined here so I could soak up the group knowledge which is kindly being shared to continue learning.

Welcome Paul

Sounds like you’re pretty committed. That’ll go a long way.
You’ve certainly got kit that will not let you down.

Enjoy.

Hello all,

Welcome Paul. It's a great forum and I'm sure you'll get all the advice you need right here. You've picked a hell of a camera for your first. It's a beauty.

Hello all,

Already replied to you In the welcome section Sir, good to have you around.(y)

George.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone(y)
Welcome Paul :D

I became re-infused with a passion for photography thanks to this friendly and helpful community on TP. I also went down the Fuji path myself (it really kicked off with the x10), and have never looked back.

From never having much interest in photography, to picking the XT2 as a first camera, was quite a jump. Can I ask what made you got straight to this camera?

One piece of advice from one amateur to another. Don't let the complications of the manual elements of the XT2 deflate you. Once you get to grips with them you can apply your own personal creativity to the images you shoot. It sounds like you are already reading manuals, and taking photography courses, both undoubtedly great ways to start to learn how to use this powerful camera. The TP guys also have regular meets - keep one eye on Fuji meets where a bunch of enthusiastic members will be more than willing to show you around the cameras features and offer tips and tricks! If you are in or around the London area there was a thread regarding a London meet - that seems to have gone quiet for the moment though. If others do reply, I'll happily team up with you as a partner in NOOB. I have so much to learn about the camera too ;)

Hello all,

Welcome to TP and Fuji ownership, Paul.

Not sure where you're based but there might be a Fuji user relatively local to you to give you some hints and tips on a face to face basis (easier to grasp things face to face than via videos or web chats!)

Back