The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Welcome Paul :D

I became re-infused with a passion for photography thanks to this friendly and helpful community on TP. I also went down the Fuji path myself (it really kicked off with the x10), and have never looked back.

From never having much interest in photography, to picking the XT2 as a first camera, was quite a jump. Can I ask what made you got straight to this camera?

One piece of advice from one amateur to another. Don't let the complications of the manual elements of the XT2 deflate you. Once you get to grips with them you can apply your own personal creativity to the images you shoot. It sounds like you are already reading manuals, and taking photography courses, both undoubtedly great ways to start to learn how to use this powerful camera. The TP guys also have regular meets - keep one eye on Fuji meets where a bunch of enthusiastic members will be more than willing to show you around the cameras features and offer tips and tricks! If you are in or around the London area there was a thread regarding a London meet - that seems to have gone quiet for the moment though. If others do reply, I'll happily team up with you as a partner in NOOB. I have so much to learn about the camera too ;)

Thanks!

I was looking at DSLR's and had sort of decided on the Nikon D7500. Then I went to a camera shop and actually held one with my small hands and realised it was too big and heavy, and that I would probably leave it behind more than I took it out.

So then I started looking at the mirrorless options and the Fuji cameras and lenses were well reviewed everywhere I looked so decided that would be the right route for me.

I'll keep a look out on the meet up threads(y)

I know you must be fed up with these now, so one last shot from the BWC workshop.... This is the dog otter who was waiting to chase some food into the lake...

X-T2 & XF50-140 f2.8 (which I have to return today :( )

DSCF6851 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Superb detail and a great capture awesome lens !
It's gonna break your heart I bet to part with it ?

Hello all,

I'm Paul from Essex, I've posted this in the welcome forum but seeing as this thread is relevant to me I thought I'd post it here too.

I've never really taken many photographs, I've always left that to my partner, but the bug really hit me last December when I took a Hurtigruten cruise up (and down) the coast of Norway and was lucky enough to see the Northern Lights on 4 of the days.

I really regret not having a camera with me as the lights and the coastline were so spectacular.

So... when I got back I went and bought my first ever camera.

Being a super noob, I bought more camera then I knew what to do with (Fuji XT-2 and kit lens), and sat there looking at it for a month trying to work out how it all works!

I watched as many youtube videos as I could and read a couple of books but all the information was just sailing right over my head. So I enrolled on a photography course with The School of Photography and am happy to say that I'm starting to get to grips with both my camera and the skills required to make a great photograph.

I joined here so I could soak up the group knowledge which is kindly being shared to continue learning.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to contributing in the future.

Welcome to the group Paul always good to have new members here I will look forward to seeing some images from you in the future

Guys just thinking of an equipment reshuffle and thought I'd get some others thoughts before I do.

Currently I have just started shooting weddings with another photographer and as such a second body is a must. I have a budget of around £2500 for two bodies and lenses. What would you go for? I also really getting into landscapes and food photography. Thoughts? I won't say what I have just to see what's others thoughts. This budget doesn't cover lighting etc as I have this already.

Superb detail and a great capture awesome lens !
It's gonna break your heart I bet to part with it ?

Well I dropped it back to LFH earlier today (gave a quick clean first) and I'm already missing it. I'm now wondering if I should find somebody who wants to swap one for the 80mm Macro, as I don't really use it that much, and I'd get lots of use from the mid telephoto zoom....

I'm not looking to go back to work until after we move house, which will be later in the summer, so I can't spend any more on gear until I'm working again....

Hello all,

I'm Paul from Essex, I've posted this in the welcome forum but seeing as this thread is relevant to me I thought I'd post it here too.

I've never really taken many photographs, I've always left that to my partner, but the bug really hit me last December when I took a Hurtigruten cruise up (and down) the coast of Norway and was lucky enough to see the Northern Lights on 4 of the days.

I really regret not having a camera with me as the lights and the coastline were so spectacular.

So... when I got back I went and bought my first ever camera.

Being a super noob, I bought more camera then I knew what to do with (Fuji XT-2 and kit lens), and sat there looking at it for a month trying to work out how it all works!

I watched as many youtube videos as I could and read a couple of books but all the information was just sailing right over my head. So I enrolled on a photography course with The School of Photography and am happy to say that I'm starting to get to grips with both my camera and the skills required to make a great photograph.

I joined here so I could soak up the group knowledge which is kindly being shared to continue learning.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to contributing in the future.

Welcome Paul!

Just a simple candid street style Fujigraph taken at Canterbury Kent UK of a couple sitting on a bench in the park enjoying the spring sunshine.
I'm also working on a personal project called Faceless and this will be one of the shots included.

X-T2, 55-200mm Lens, 1/640th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld.
Faceless (15)-03203 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

Had a VERY quick play with the X-T20 last night, yet to even open the manual (I know, I know!), one thing though, when I went into the quality setting menu, where you can change picture format etc, I noticed two things:-

1. A lot of the lines were greyed out and you couldn't scroll down onto them to change them
2. Under Image quality, it just offered Fine or Normal, but no RAW ?

Yes, I know, I will get around to reading the manual, and no doubt i'm being an idiot, as usual, but what am I doing wrong?! I know it will be something simple and ridiculously obvious!

Had a VERY quick play with the X-T20 last night, yet to even open the manual (I know, I know!), one thing though, when I went into the quality setting menu, where you can change picture format etc, I noticed two things:-

1. A lot of the lines were greyed out and you couldn't scroll down onto them to change them
2. Under Image quality, it just offered Fine or Normal, but no RAW ?

Yes, I know, I will get around to reading the manual, and no doubt i'm being an idiot, as usual, but what am I doing wrong?! I know it will be something simple and ridiculously obvious!
You probably have the camera set to Auto or on one of the special effect settings. Sure these preclude you from shooting in RAW.

You probably have the camera set to Auto or on one of the special effect settings. Sure these preclude you from shooting in RAW.

What an idiot, I completely failed to spot the switch at the top that said Auto.

Thanks Ian!

What an idiot, I completely failed to spot the switch at the top that said Auto.

Thanks Ian!
If it helps, I made almost exactly the same mistake when I got the X-T10. Put it into RAW+Fine mode, spent an evening at a party snapping away in Auto because I was feeling lazy, then the next day was very puzzled to find I had only JPEGs and no RAW files! A mistake you only make once...

If it helps, I made almost exactly the same mistake when I got the X-T10. Put it into RAW+Fine mode, spent an evening at a party snapping away in Auto because I was feeling lazy, then the next day was very puzzled to find I had only JPEGs and no RAW files! A mistake you only make once...

Was just very frustrating trying to understand why I couldn't access half the settings!! :)

Have sold a couple of watches and some HiFi stuff in recent weeks - the money is currently burning a Fuji shaped hole in my pocket, this is not good!

That is never good! My only decent watch is the Tag my Mrs bought me, best I don't sell that or I could be in trouble!!

A refreshing change to see a vista like this in mono.

Thank you kindly Sir, I sure do appreciate you takin’ the time to reply & comment.(y)

George.

Just bought the xt20 as a back up to my xt2. Just wondering if any users could tell me if there are any accessories that will be useful. Haven't seen one in the flesh but I know they're supposed to be small so maybe a battery grip or actual grip.

What are those chrome thumb rests all about? I've never used one.

Guys just thinking of an equipment reshuffle and thought I'd get some others thoughts before I do.

Currently I have just started shooting weddings with another photographer and as such a second body is a must. I have a budget of around £2500 for two bodies and lenses. What would you go for? I also really getting into landscapes and food photography. Thoughts? I won't say what I have just to see what's others thoughts. This budget doesn't cover lighting etc as I have this already.

I'm doing the same thing, shooting as a second. I have an XT2, 16-55 f2.8, 23 f1.4, and 56 f1.2. The vast majority of my images come from the 16-55. The main tog uses Canon and he only uses a 35 ART and 50 ART. For me personally, I like the zoom. Ultimately, it falls down to your own style of shooting. I also know another tog who only shoots Fuji and he has the XT2 and X100f. Again, he only uses primes, the 23, 35 and 56

I'm doing the same thing, shooting as a second. I have an XT2, 16-55 f2.8, 23 f1.4, and 56 f1.2. The vast majority of my images come from the 16-55. The main tog uses Canon and he only uses a 35 ART and 50 ART. For me personally, I like the zoom. Ultimately, it falls down to your own style of shooting. I also know another tog who only shoots Fuji and he has the XT2 and X100f. Again, he only uses primes, the 23, 35 and 56

It's the 16-55 I'm considering. I now have the XT2, XT20 and i have the 16mm 1.4 and the 56 1.2. I had to sell my 90 unfortunately as i needed to put the money to the second body. Seriously considering selling the 16 to fund the 16-55 but i have taken some images that i love and i know i won't be able to replicate with the zoom. Shots like focussing on flowers from inches with the rest of the room still in the shot. I know the zoom won't focus anywhere near as close and i'm also a bit worried about low light stuff with the 2.8 compared to the 1.4. I really believe though that i'll use the zoom a hell of a lot more than the prime. I could always go for the 23 and 56 combo though. Decisions decisions.

The 35 and 50 sound quite close. I assume your main shooter gets on okay with them.

It's the 16-55 I'm considering. I now have the XT2, XT20 and i have the 16mm 1.4 and the 56 1.2. I had to sell my 90 unfortunately as i needed to put the money to the second body. Seriously considering selling the 16 to fund the 16-55 but i have taken some images that i love and i know i won't be able to replicate with the zoom. Shots like focussing on flowers from inches with the rest of the room still in the shot. I know the zoom won't focus anywhere near as close and i'm also a bit worried about low light stuff with the 2.8 compared to the 1.4. I really believe though that i'll use the zoom a hell of a lot more than the prime. I could always go for the 23 and 56 combo though. Decisions decisions.

The 35 and 50 sound quite close. I assume your main shooter gets on okay with them.

He will occasionally bring out a 24-70 but it’s rare. He’s more a frustrated fashion tog than a wedding tog in my eyes. I’ll upload a couple of evening shots I took with the 16-55 at the last wedding. I thought it coped well to be honest. But any darker in the room and I’d have really struggled

As I haven't used the 16mm in ages, I thought I'd get it out and have a little play today. It's amazing how close this little gem will focus, and I love the "bokeh" it leaves behind. Apertures are between 1.8 & 2.5. This was just a bit of fun, but I can see me shooting some flowers like this for the wall....

DSCF7314.jpg DSCF7316.jpg DSCF7321.jpg

As I haven't used the 16mm in ages, I thought I'd get it out and have a little play today. It's amazing how close this little gem will focus, and I love the "bokeh" it leaves behind. Apertures are between 1.8 & 2.5. This was just a bit of fun, but I can see me shooting some flowers like this for the wall....

Its a great 'end of a hard day's photography' lens!!

PQ8MAd9h.jpg

Just a simple candid street style Fujigraph taken at Canterbury Kent UK of a very common sight these days of someone totally engrossed in their cell phone texting.

X-T1, 55-200mm Lens, 1/210th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld.
Texting (4)-03058 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

Back