The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I'm liking these Ash. My favourite is the third down of a door, the rain and an umbrella. They all feel tightly cropped though, makes me want to zoom out slightly to understand more about the moment. Was that your intention?

Do you mind sharing the camera, lens and PP workflow you used?

@souldeep - not at all. All shot with the X-T10 and XF18-55. The intention was always to frame fairly tight to the subject yes as I wanted the figure to be the main subject in the frame, with the other elements then becoming more interesting as the eye works through the image - like with the reflections for example in the last image.

Workflow wise they're all Lr edited with a custom pre-set designed to emulate Fujichrome slide film and then the reds and oranges boosted, plus some local stuff to bring out any particular elements I want to accentuate.

Hope that helps...

@ashtennisguru - I didn't know about the @ sign. I just received an email letting me know your reply. That's a pretty cool forum feature!

Yes - thank you that answers all the questions. I have been going back and admiring your style and subject interest.

Where I am slightly confused - Fujichrome slide films are already built into the camera e.g. Astia, Provia and Velvia. The preset produces different results to any of those. Is there another named Fujichrome slide film? When you say custom - you mean you created it yourself?

Interesting you go with the 18-55 for street. Not as conspicuous as say, the 35mm. Is there a reason you choose this lens for this specific subject interest?

^^^ yes, it's a custom preset rather than the pre-packaged film sims. I found some images that a guy had taken using some expired fujichrome (I think provia) and really liked the colour balance, so I had a play about to try and emulate the finish (the shadows had a fair bit of magenta in for example and the blacks were a little soft) and from there i tweaked the reds and oranges and in some images the aqua channel too to get the look I was after.

As for the 18-55 - choice out of necessity - it's all I had!

Thanks for sharing. I think I might try playing around with the inbuilt film simulations a bit more. I've always stuck with Velvia for the lively colour reproduction, then PP's on from that.

@ashtennisguru - Thanks for sharing but had already noted this one. I've visited your Flickr account (y)

I remembered some of the images you had up from my last visit to the forums in 2016. You were looking at docklands project at that time.

Terrific. Love everything about it.
Thanks Trevor.

Gorgeous. Love the compression.
Cheers Brian.

Wow. I love this.
Thanks Paul.

Thats lovely. Being a Man of Kent myself, I never thought Deal could look so appealing....
Haha Steve, as a relative newcomer to the county, I can safely say, it is one of the most beautiful areas I have had the pleasure of living in.

@feek - although I clicked like, I didn't copy and reply because I saw a good collection of re-quotes already posted. A great shot. You caught that sun kissed sea moment perfectly!

@feek - although I clicked like, I didn't copy and reply because I saw a good collection of re-quotes already posted. A great shot. You caught that sun kissed sea moment perfectly!
Thanks for taking the time to comment souldeep and thanks for the kind words. :)

Thanks for sharing. I think I might try playing around with the inbuilt film simulations a bit more. I've always stuck with Velvia for the lively colour reproduction, then PP's on from that.

Yeah, they definitely can have a positive impact, the lightroom profiles aren't quite the same as shooting the jpeg in camera in my experience, but they are pretty close. I like classic chrome a lot and tend to use that when taking pics of my little girl. Funnily enough Velvia is the film sim I like the least. Need to get a me an XT2/Xpro2 as I'm dying to try out ACROS!

I love this! So atmospheric. You can almost smell the mustiness. Good work

Very nice Fujigraph Sir, love the composition, atmosphere, & colour.(y)

George.

That's lovely

Wonderful shot

Really nice, so easy to blow out the windows in there, great shot!!

Lots to love in this shot, especially the detail...

Thanks for all the positive feedback. The reflections in the glass on the left were annoying me. Too many and varied to clone out and burning them seemed to make them more obvious or somehow less natural. Deliberately said nothing about them when I posted this to see if anyone else would so i’m pleased that no one felt they were spoiling the image!

Just moved from a D7200 to an X-T20, I wasn't sure I'd made the right choice at first, but the more I look at the images it's producing, the more it impresses me. I'm impressed with how far you can push the raw files compared to Nikon files.

I've put the X-T20 to the test today taking a few photos at my brothers wedding, got to say, it's a very capable camera when combined with the 18-55 lens.

I'm already loving using this camera, I knew Nikons inside out, so the menu system and various dials and switches will take some practice, the AF is not quite as responsive as the D7200 but the easy solution to this is to just slow down a little.

The below image was one of the first I took with the Fuji last weekend, it's actually the 3rd edit, I'm still trying to perfect my workflow for the Fuji raws...

M55005 by Adam P, on Flickr

Really need to get my manual out but held the xt20 for about three minutes today and realised there's not a dedicated ISO dial. Last year I wouldn't have noticed but after the xt2 I think it might bug me.

Need to get the camera out over the weekend and see what it's made of.

Really need to get my manual out but held the xt20 for about three minutes today and realised there's not a dedicated ISO dial. Last year I wouldn't have noticed but after the xt2 I think it might bug me.

Need to get the camera out over the weekend and see what it's made of.

Two things I miss about the D7200, being able to change ISO without going into a menu and having a top mounted LCD with settings...

Overall though, putting these minor gripes to one side, it's a very capable camera, I looked at the X-T2 but couldn't justify the extra money for a few extra buttons and dials when it has the same sensor as the t20.

Two things I miss about the D7200, being able to change ISO without going into a menu and having a top mounted LCD with settings...

Overall though, putting these minor gripes to one side, it's a very capable camera, I looked at the X-T2 but couldn't justify the extra money for a few extra buttons and dials when it has the same sensor as the t20.
You can set up a dial or f button to control iso. Ive got mine on the back command dial.

You can set up a dial or f button to control iso. Ive got mine on the back command dial.
Similarly on the X-T10 I have my front dial set to ISO. I guess the dedicated dial gives you an extra indication of what ISO you have set beyond that in the EVF but I think that's the only real advantage.

A 1000 page thread! Has any other brand created so much interest?

This post has made me slam the brakes on. Was just about to pull the trigger on a Fuji this afternoon. Guess I’d best leave it a few days then?

Sounds like a plan..

Looks like the 100-400 might be required!!! (New cashback deals later this week)

Only thing that might have interested me is the X-H1, but that's a non runner for two reasons

Firstly 1500 quid buys a lot of European travel, secondly and of more relevance it probably won't be included in the offer

Looks like the 100-400 might be required!!! (New cashback deals later this week)
Why? That was shot at 176mm. I hardly ever went near 200mm. Plenty of room for cropping with the file size on the T2. I won't be printing greater than A4 and this is plenty sharp enough for mobile phone viewing. Considering the number of times I do motorsport or birding £1500 could be put to better use. I could go abroad with @tijuana taxi.

Back