The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I recently purchased a used Canon 7D and 70-300mm L lens for motorsport photography and a Fuji X100T as a pocket camera , I'd forgotten how heavy a DSLR with a decent lens on is so not sure I'll be keeping it, however the X100T is excellent so it's got me looking into Fuji mirrorless to replace the 7D, the £200 bonus trade in is available on the 7D against the X-T3 so even if they only offered £150 for it i'm £350 off making the body £1000, what's the 18-55 kit lens like , is it worth the £350 they're asking for it or would I be better of putting that money towards something better, I'm keeping the X100T , thanks

Last edited:
I recently purchased a used Canon 7D and 70-300mm L lens for motorsport photography and a Fuji X100T as a pocket camera , I'd forgotten how heavy a DSLR with a decent lens on is so not sure I'll be keeping it, however the X100T is excellent so it's got me looking into Fuji mirrorless to replace the 7D, the £200 bonus trade in is available on the 7D against the X-T3 so even if they only offered £150 for it i'm £350 off making the body £1000, what's the 18-55 kit lens like , is it worth the £350 they're asking for it or would I be better of putting that money towards something better, I'm keeping the X100T , thanks

Don't be fooled by the title Kit lens for the 18-55. it is up to the standard of many makers premium lenses. The performance for its specification is excellent.

What the so-called "kit" lens lacks is weather-resistance and fixed aperture. Optically, as Terry says, it's excellent and doesn't deserve its moniker of kit lens.

And the only thing better than the X100T as a carry-round camera is the X100F :D.

Just ordered a Fuji MCEX-11 extension tube from WEX this morning, looking forward to trying it out!

:)

Do you know what lens you'll use it with yet? Seem to remember it being great with the 90mm. It also works well with the 23mm 1.4 but close focus distance is barely in front of the front element so lighting becomes a challenge!

I'm seriously thinking of dipping my toe back into Fuji territory and therefore slimming down (although not getting rid of totally), my micro four thirds system (I'll keep the EM 1 MK II and glass, but potentially trade in my other 2 bodies).

I've had a X-T2 before, and that was pretty good, but I had to really use it either with the power grip or the accessory hand grip for me to get enough of it to seriously hold on to. I was therefore already ready to pull the gun on a refurbished X-H1 from the Fuji Store, as this would give me all the best bits from the X-T2 but with the addition of a much better grip (the additional size and weight don't bother me), in body image stabilisation, which I've really become used to on my Olympus and Panasonic bodies, and a dedicated AF on button. But then of course Fuji launched the X-T3. It would be round about £100 cheaper than the X-H1 (£1699 inducing the 18-55 lens for the X-T3, vs £1780 for the X-H1 with the same lens, but with the battery grip and two additional batteries).

I know that as the X-T3 has an almost identical body to the X-T2, I'd also need to factor in the grips, but I'm wondering if the X-T3 might be the better choice, although would I miss the IBIS ?

My main interests are Landscapes, holiday type walk about shots, and photographing my mad Cocker Spaniel, Charlie. I've got good long lenses for the M4/3 set up, so I'd keep that for my Wildlife and birding for the moment. My M4/3 units struggle with photographing my dog (especially when he/s moving at full chat and the fact that he's pure black all over, so difficult for any camera AF to lock onto) using AF-C (about 40-50% keeper rate), but then when I had my X-T2, that never faired that much better, but the AF in the X-T3 is supposed to be quite a bit better than the X-T2 and X-H1 ?

For someone starting out with Fuji again, what would be the best choice today then - the X-H1 or wait for the X-T3 to arrive in shops ?

Last edited:
I really like the H1

I really like some T3 features, inc better AF-C (yet to be independently comfirmed) Blackout free high speed frame advance.
Hate the fact there’s no dedicated AF-ON. The workaround is a kludge.

In your shoes T3 and px it for H2 when it arrives maybe.

Tough call...

Don't be fooled by the title Kit lens for the 18-55. it is up to the standard of many makers premium lenses. The performance for its specification is excellent.

What the so-called "kit" lens lacks is weather-resistance and fixed aperture. Optically, as Terry says, it's excellent and doesn't deserve its moniker of kit lens.

And the only thing better than the X100T as a carry-round camera is the X100F :D.

Thanks, they offered £170 on the 7D which is £370 with cashback so in effect Body with a free lens so I'm waiting on them sending me a label before I pre order it , I won't be upgrading the X100T though :D

I'm seriously thinking of dipping my toe back into Fuji territory and therefore slimming down (although not getting rid of totally), my micro four thirds system (I'll keep the EM 1 MK II and glass, but potentially trade in my other 2 bodies).

I've had a X-T2 before, and that was pretty good, but I had to really use it either with the power grip or the accessory hand grip for me to get enough of it to seriously hold on to. I was therefore already ready to pull the gun on a refurbished X-H1 from the Fuji Store, as this would give me all the best bits from the X-T2 but with the addition of a much better grip (the additional size and weight don't bother me), in body image stabilisation, which I've really become used to on my Olympus and Panasonic bodies, and a dedicated AF on button. But then of course Fuji launched the X-T3. It would be round about £100 cheaper than the X-H1 (£1699 inducing the 18-55 lens for the X-T3, vs £1780 for the X-H1 with the same lens, but with the battery grip and two additional batteries).

I know that as the X-T3 has an almost identical body to the X-T2, I'd also need to factor in the grips, but I'm wondering if the X-T3 might be the better choice, although would I miss the IBIS ?

My main interests are Landscapes, holiday type walk about shots, and photographing my mad Cocker Spaniel, Charlie. I've got good long lenses for the M4/3 set up, so I'd keep that for my Wildlife and birding for the moment. My M4/3 units struggle with photographing my dog (especially when he/s moving at full chat and the fact that he's pure black all over, so difficult for any camera AF to lock onto) using AF-C (about 40-50% keeper rate), but then when I had my X-T2, that never faired that much better, but the AF in the X-T3 is supposed to be quite a bit better than the X-T2 and X-H1 ?

For someone starting out with Fuji again, what would be the best choice today then - the X-H1 or wait for the X-T3 to arrive in shops ?
I have no trouble locking on to fast moving dogs with the XH-1, 90% hit rate at least. This one was very fast and erratic.

Willow-20-Colour by Pete Downham Photography, on Flickr

Now that looks good and tack sharp. Here's the best I have of Charlie so far, with the EM1 MK II and the 40-150 F2.8 pro. Looks OK at this size, but up close it isn't 100% tack sharp. He was running at full speed and just appeared from round the corner, so all in all not too bad an effort from M4/3 ?

Last edited:
Do you know what lens you'll use it with yet? Seem to remember it being great with the 90mm. It also works well with the 23mm 1.4 but close focus distance is barely in front of the front element so lighting becomes a challenge!
Hi Graham, yes I believe the 90mm works well with the MCEX-11 adaptor, and so does the 35mm f1.4/56mm f1.2/ and the 60mm f2.4R I believe.

WEX Photographic has the Fuji MCEX-11 for £64.99 Inc free postage.

Cheers;
Peter

Now that looks good and tack sharp. Here's the best I have of Charlie so far, with the EM1 MK II and the 40-150 F2.8 pro. Looks OK at this size, but up close it isn't 100% tack sharp. He was running at full speed and just appeared from round the corner, so all in all not too bad an effort from M4/3 ?

I don't think there's anything wrong with the EM1 Mk2 for fast moving subjects, the gates and wall are as sharp as Charlie, have you tried making the focus area much smaller ? A grab shot will never be tack sharp will it ? I wouldn't buy a Fuji to improve on tracking, when I had the Mk2 it was superb for that, my issue was low light performance. The 40-150 2.8 was fantastic. I would have a thorough play with settings and practice as I don't think you will necessarily get much better results from Fuji for this type of shot.

I would hold off on the T3 until actual in depth reviews with RAW samples emerge. I've seen some pretty iffy sample galleries that used Jpeg only, and was far from impressed.

Dogs pre-plumbed with quick release hose fittings! Whatever next?!

Anyway, looks alright to me!

Probably....but they always leave something out to make you wanting more.

IBIS is the big one this time for me. I know if they implemented it into the T3, they'd never sell the H1, it would also have made the body bigger but I don't think that would really bother many people?

Thanks, they offered £170 on the 7D which is £370 with cashback so in effect Body with a free lens so I'm waiting on them sending me a label before I pre order it , I won't be upgrading the X100T though :D

Well that didn't go as well as I hoped, took the 7d in for them to check the condition , initial impressions were good , until he opened the card door , bent pin I hadn't noticed , it can't be one that's used as it works perfectly as he found out when he tested it but they refused it as faulty, oh well I'm have to wait until it's been out a while to see if they offer anything else or the market gets flooded with X-T2's and the price falls through the floor

IBIS is the big one this time for me. I know if they implemented it into the T3, they'd never sell the H1, it would also have made the body bigger but I don't think that would really bother many people?
I'd choose the X-H1 over the XT3 for the ergonomics (y)

Well that didn't go as well as I hoped, took the 7d in for them to check the condition , initial impressions were good , until he opened the card door , bent pin I hadn't noticed , it can't be one that's used as it works perfectly as he found out when he tested it but they refused it as faulty, oh well I'm have to wait until it's been out a while to see if they offer anything else or the market gets flooded with X-T2's and the price falls through the floor

Bummer

Still in two minds, maybe you guys could assist in my decision...

I have an X-T2, has it since launch and I love the camera. It’s my first ‘good’ camera and I chose it mainly because as I’m learning, having the manual dials has been very beneficial. Since I’ve had it I’ve taken it on holidays and events but I also use it to film quite a lot - I am slowly building a career as a screenwriter and I’ve found that creating little shorts of my work has been essential.

I find the camera performs very well and when it doesn’t, like not focusing on moving subjects etc, I think it’s more user error than anything else.

Lens wise, I only have the XF18-55, which is usually always on the camera, and the lesser quality XC 55-230 for the very rare times I need such a zoom (although I find the quality of that lens pretty poor so I usually don’t bother).

So obviously I’ve been looking at getting more lenses. Then the X-T3 comes out.

I’ve got about £500 to spend so I could trade my camera and grip in and use the money for the X-T3, which is appealing to have the latest camera, better low light, AF and a new warranty.

Or I could get some new glass.

Really don’t know. Part of me knows a nice prime or replacing the XC is probably more beneficial overall but these good trade deals won’t last very long...

I have an X-T2, has it since launch and I love the camera. It’s my first ‘good’ camera and I chose it mainly because as I’m learning, having the manual dials has been very beneficial. Since I’ve had it I’ve taken it on holidays and events but I also use it to film quite a lot - I am slowly building a career as a screenwriter and I’ve found that creating little shorts of my work has been essential.

I find the camera performs very well and when it doesn’t, like not focusing on moving subjects etc, I think it’s more user error than anything else.

Lens wise, I only have the XF18-55, which is usually always on the camera, and the lesser quality XC 55-230 for the very rare times I need such a zoom (although I find the quality of that lens pretty poor so I usually don’t bother).

I’ve got about £500 to spend so I could trade my camera and grip in and use the money for the X-T3, which is appealing to have the latest camera, better low light, AF and a new warranty.

Really don’t know. Part of me knows a nice prime or replacing the XC is probably more beneficial overall but these good trade deals won’t last very long...

Glass for sure!

@Adamsk1 Nothing wrong with the XF18-55 and it has IS, which the 16-50 doesn't.
The XC could be bettered, but the XF55-200 is about £650 new and the lovely 50-140 about £1.3k, so above your budget.

Question is, would the improved (we've yet to see real world reviews) AF of the X-T3 be the killer feature? Only you'ii know that, and not for a while yet.

I'm looking at an X-T3 because it'd be my 1st proper mirrorless camera and it's new on the market , if I had a X-T2 and standard lenses I'd upgrade the lenses without question

A new body won't improve the lenses you have but better glass will improve the pictures from the body you have

When cameras had a few megapixels I watched as people spent a small fortune upgrading their body because it had 2 more megapixels but they were still using cheap sigma zooms and wondering why the pictures were crap even though they had more megapixels

Spend the £500 on a prime focal length that suits what you shoot most of, you won't regret it

I`d say get the XF 35mm f2, a fantastic little lens, pin sharp and fast as hell.

Thanks all. Guess it’s only a tough decision because of the trade in bonus. The X-T3 will never be as cheap as it will be in the first month due to that.

Glass makes more sense I guess and I do still have some learning to do with the X-T2.

Another thing I want to start is some YouTube film reviews or maybe demoing some of my guitar gear (maybe if I hadn’t have spend money on a ‘58 reissue Les Paul I’d Have money for lenses!) and I’ve heard the Face AF can’t be relied on with the X-T2 and that the face/eye is MUCH better on the X-T3. In some of the previews I’ve seen them use it and it does focus very well in this regard.

If you're not bothered with video, I don't think there's going to be as much of a difference between the T2 and 3 as early previewers made out. After seeing some early sample images, though only Jpeg SOOC, I can't see much improvement in low light. AF might be better, but end result ...

If you're not bothered with video, I don't think there's going to be as much of a difference between the T2 and 3 as early previewers made out. After seeing some early sample images, though only Jpeg SOOC, I can't see much improvement in low light. AF might be better, but end result ...
I AM bothered about video but I don’t think my Mac could take 4K 60 10bit in Final Cut!

I AM bothered about video but I don’t think my Mac could take 4K 60 10bit in Final Cut!

My i7 Acer struggles with 4K too, and I only shoot it in 24fps. It'll be fine for a bit, but if I have a bunch of clips to edit together it does choke up. If you do shoot video a lot then the 3 is worth it, I'm more suggesting to those who do stills only. I would still await full on reviews .

My i7 Acer struggles with 4K too, and I only shoot it in 24fps. It'll be fine for a bit, but if I have a bunch of clips to edit together it does choke up. If you do shoot video a lot then the 3 is worth it, I'm more suggesting to those who do stills only. I would still await full on reviews .

The improved xt3 AF is a huge benefit for stills. That alone will make it a great update for some.

The improved xt3 AF is a huge benefit for stills. That alone will make it a great update for some.
But we don't know that for sure just yet. Any amount of 'previews' and 'first impressions' out there but I've yet to read (or watch) a comprehensive review showing marked improvements in performance over the X-T2 with the necessary supporting evidence .

Back