The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Took the kids pumpkin picking today...here's a comparison from last year and this year, just for fun :)

Last year...

Pumpkins

This year...

Big push

Some others...

Breezing through

Deep in thought

This is the first time I've edited in Capture One Express, so still plenty of learning to do! I really like the output though.

Took the kids pumpkin picking today...here's a comparison from last year and this year, just for fun :)

Last year...

Pumpkins

This year...

Big push

Some others...

Breezing through

Deep in thought

This is the first time I've edited in Capture One Express, so still plenty of learning to do! I really like the output though.

Very nice images, I like C1 a lot and think it handles Fuji X files very well.

Lone Penstemon by Andrew R, on Flickr

Using an adapted 58mm Helios 44M lens at f2
Nice shot, but is it just me who dislikes the bokeh from this lens? I have a similar lens but under the brand of Cosmagon (for the US market) which exhibits the same characteristics.

Lone Penstemon by Andrew R, on Flickr

Using an adapted 58mm Helios 44M lens at f2

Personally I would have wound the greens & yellows back somewhat as the subject is getting lost in the background. One thing I really like about Lightroom is the ability to control the depth of individual colours, allowing the main subject to be prominent.

Nice shot, but is it just me who dislikes the bokeh from this lens? I have a similar lens but under the brand of Cosmagon (for the US market) which exhibits the same characteristics.

Agreed, not keen on the bokeh in the background, but again, it's just a personal thing. You'll have to go a long way to beat the bokeh on the Fuji lenses, even the 60mm, which is definitely "different" has a great look, in my opinion.

Personally I would have wound the greens & yellows back somewhat as the subject is getting lost in the background. One thing I really like about Lightroom is the ability to control the depth of individual colours, allowing the main subject to be prominent.
Agreed, not keen on the bokeh in the background, but again, it's just a personal thing. You'll have to go a long way to beat the bokeh on the Fuji lenses, even the 60mm, which is definitely "different" has a great look, in my opinion.

Oh well, you can't please everyone :)

Oh well, you can't please everyone :)

Hey, it's just a personal preference. I shot what I thought were brilliant shots of a fox on a grass bank earlier in the year, only for someone to point out that the green was so bold that it detracted from the image. I revisited the raw, toned them down and found that he was right. Even after all this time, feedback helps you learn & understand what others think.

But it's photography, and it's your image, so if you like it as it is, then that's great....

Can we talk bags?

I am looking for a bag that will allow me to carry 2 X-T2 bodies, maybe one with the grip, with a combination of the 16, 35 f1.4 and 10-24 attached, with room for the 50-140 too.

I have a smaller Billingham which is great for one body with a 2nd lens, and I have a larger backpack which will take both bodies with 100-400 & 50-140 attached with room for a smaller prime (generally the 60mm), but I'm looking for something in between. Not sure if I need laptop/iPad facility, not sure if I want shoulder or backpack, so am open to suggestions...

Must be weatherproof, or have a cover....

While we are discussing bags, can anyone suggest a decent case/protection for an X-T2 with 23f2? The idea is to put it into an existing bag for mountain biking.

Can we talk bags?

I am looking for a bag that will allow me to carry 2 X-T2 bodies, maybe one with the grip, with a combination of the 16, 35 f1.4 and 10-24 attached, with room for the 50-140 too.

I have a smaller Billingham which is great for one body with a 2nd lens, and I have a larger backpack which will take both bodies with 100-400 & 50-140 attached with room for a smaller prime (generally the 60mm), but I'm looking for something in between. Not sure if I need laptop/iPad facility, not sure if I want shoulder or backpack, so am open to suggestions...

That lot would be uncomfortable for me in a shoulder bag for any distance, despite my dislike of backpacks. For similar I would respectfully suggest a Peak Design Everyday 20 litre, which I happen to own. everyday-backpack . Not cheap, but you pay for quality. It's the one I've stuck with the longest!

That lot would be uncomfortable for me in a shoulder bag for any distance, despite my dislike of backpacks. For similar I would respectfully suggest a Peak Design Everyday 20 litre, which I happen to own. everyday-backpack . Not cheap, but you pay for quality. It's the one I've stuck with the longest!

Agree that a backpack is probably more suitable, but my large backpack that I use for my wildlife stuff is only 20L, I think something of that size is a bit more than I'm looking for. I can probably do without the grip and just take the extra batteries, and unless my trip is specifically for landscapes, I will probably have the 16 & 35 with something longer (50-140). I only need it to cover 3 lenses, but I may need space for my 100mm filters. At the moment, I use the Billingham with one body on an R-strap.

Can we talk bags?

Lowepro stealth reporter (various sizes) might work :)

Two shots from this morning. The first is of a waterfall known as Cranny Falls outside the village of Carnlough on the North Coast of Northern Ireland.

cranny by Greg Basher, on Flickr

The second is of my 9 year old who accompanied me this morning and I'm delighted to say that he is developing a real interest in photography since I got him a cheap S/H Fuji bridge camera.

joshuacam by Greg Basher, on Flickr

Headed off out early this morning to capture the sunrise at a local spot I have had in mind for a while now. There have been some fantastic skies in the morning recently, but this morning was far too cloudy so I consider this just to be a recce.

However, still with no sign of Adobe adding support for X-T3 raw files I decided to take it as an opportunity to try Capture one. It is not as simple or intuitive as Lightroom but I am sure I can get to grips with it eventually. The following is an (unfair) comparison.

Capture1 by David Walker, on Flickr
Capture 1. Raw file, under-exposed with recovered shadows.

Lightroom by David Walker, on Flickr
Lightroom. Jpeg, under-exposed with recovered shadows.

Photoshop by David Walker, on Flickr
Photoshop. Jpeg, 5 Shot HDR.

Headed off out early this morning to capture the sunrise at a local spot I have had in mind for a while now. There have been some fantastic skies in the morning recently, but this morning was far too cloudy so I consider this just to be a recce.

However, still with no sign of Adobe adding support for X-T3 raw files I decided to take it as an opportunity to try Capture one. It is not as simple or intuitive as Lightroom but I am sure I can get to grips with it eventually. The following is an (unfair) comparison.

Capture1 by David Walker, on Flickr
Capture 1. Raw file, under-exposed with recovered shadows.

Lightroom by David Walker, on Flickr
Lightroom. Jpeg, under-exposed with recovered shadows.

Photoshop by David Walker, on Flickr
Photoshop. Jpeg, 5 Shot HDR.
Lightroom works for me, on the X-H1, and since I’ve been using it since Rawshooter I’ve got used to it and like it. However, I installed the free Fuji version of C1 just to try it. Whilst I think I will stick with LR, partly because of the catalogue system, I do find that for certain shots C1 can get more from the file. Therefore I have created a simple workflow to allow it to operate (almost) seamlessly with LR’s catalogue.

Lightroom works for me, on the X-H1, and since I’ve been using it since Rawshooter I’ve got used to it and like it. However, I installed the free Fuji version of C1 just to try it. Whilst I think I will stick with LR, partly because of the catalogue system, I do find that for certain shots C1 can get more from the file. Therefore I have created a simple workflow to allow it to operate (almost) seamlessly with LR’s catalogue.
I'm not sure what my preference is yet. I would like to say lightroom, mainly because I already have it and am familiar with how it works, but I am impressed with how C1 has handled pulling detail back out of the shadows, saves the faff of going into photoshop and creating a hdr. But then I am only comparing against editing jpegs in lightroom, so not really fair. I think I will continue to play with C1 while I have the trial and wait until LR can handle raws before making a final decision.

The second is of my 9 year old who accompanied me this morning and I'm delighted to say that he is developing a real interest in photography since I got him a cheap S/H Fuji bridge camera.

Yeah, but his taste in wellies leaves a lot to be desired :D

Nice falls image, and it's great when you get out there with the kids playing photography.....

Now I have got he XT-3 and taken a few RAW images, I am confused as to how to edit these.

I realise that LR does not yet support the XT-3 files, and Capture 1 does, but I am a bit loathe to fork out the cash for Capture 1 when I prefer the LR interface. I have downloaded the Raw Converter from Silkypix but don't find that easy to use either.

I guess that the Adobe DNG converter will eventually support the XT-3 but when that will be is anyones guess.

Can I ask what workflow you guys are using for your XT-3 RAW file editing?

Now I have got he XT-3 and taken a few RAW images, I am confused as to how to edit these.

I realise that LR does not yet support the XT-3 files, and Capture 1 does, but I am a bit loathe to fork out the cash for Capture 1 when I prefer the LR interface. I have downloaded the Raw Converter from Silkypix but don't find that easy to use either.

I guess that the Adobe DNG converter will eventually support the XT-3 but when that will be is anyones guess.

Can I ask what workflow you guys are using for your XT-3 RAW file editing?

Maybe have a look at X-Transformer, it'll create a dng for you to use in Lightroom. It's not free but worth having as it does give that little bit more than Lightroom when you need it.

Maybe have a look at X-Transformer, it'll create a dng for you to use in Lightroom. It's not free but worth having as it does give that little bit more than Lightroom when you need it.
It looks like I was wrong, and Adobe have now released a DNG converter to support the XT-3, I am just downloading it now, fingers crossed.

Yes, but about half the size! I've got a few that big from when I had my Canon DSLR, but the little Fuji is just rattling around inside.
If you can get one, the felt insert which Millican bags used in their bespoke Fuji bags are ideal. I have a Millican Fuji bag given me by Cameraworld when I bought my X-H1; that has one in. The bag is still sitting there unused. Too many bags!

If you can get one, the felt insert which Millican bags used in their bespoke Fuji bags are ideal. I have a Millican Fuji bag given me by Cameraworld when I bought my X-H1; that has one in. The bag is still sitting there unused. Too many bags!
They do look like the right sort of thing!

Back