The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Love the 10-24. Had it since I went Fuji in 2014. Just disposed of the 14mm. Great lens but wasn’t getting used. I agree about the 16mm - if you only use that length then it’s perfect, and superb quality.
Never owned the 16mm but otherwise I could've written this myself.

I'd estimate that at least 95% of my Fuji images are taken with the 10-24mm. Superb lens.
Likewise. My 10-24mm and 55-200mm could literally be my only lenses.

Cheers guys, I appreciate all the feedback. It`s never an easy decision lol I must admit though, even woth the old sigma 20mm I was wanting a little wider sometimes, and in some situations.

Hi guys
I know a few of you have the 10-24, but does anyone use the 14mm? I`m torn between the two. My pre fuji wide was the sigma 20mm art, so I`m used to primes.
If anyone had had both I`d appreciate some feedback (y)

If i had to go with a prime, it would be the 16mm. Excellent piece of glass, and the 10-24 is pretty good too (I have both).

I have a 16mm that sees little use. I could be persuaded to sell if anyone is interested.
In any case I will be putting it up in the for sale section in the next few days.

For landscape, the 10-24mm is pretty much a no-brainer, unless you like changing lens on a windy, wet beach with god knows what flying through the air.

For architecture, I'm not so sure, but given that in an urban setting it's highly variable how far away from buildings you can get, it seems a reasonable choice.

I don't think you'll find the 10-24 wanting unless have a bad copy or you need wider than f/4, which would be an unusual choice for architectural photography.

If i had to go with a prime, it would be the 16mm. Excellent piece of glass, and the 10-24 is pretty good too (I have both).
I have a 16mm that sees little use. I could be persuaded to sell if anyone is interested.
In any case I will be putting it up in the for sale section in the next few days.
For landscape, the 10-24mm is pretty much a no-brainer, unless you like changing lens on a windy, wet beach with god knows what flying through the air.

For architecture, I'm not so sure, but given that in an urban setting it's highly variable how far away from buildings you can get, it seems a reasonable choice.

I don't think you'll find the 10-24 wanting unless have a bad copy or you need wider than f/4, which would be an unusual choice for architectural photography.

Damn this choice is getting even harder now ;) How`s the OIS on the 10-24?

Damn this choice is getting even harder now ;) How`s the OIS on the 10-24?
Haven't tested that aspect. It's a lens that only really comes out of the bag for serious landscape use for me, and that means a tripod 90% of the time.

Haven't tested that aspect. It's a lens that only really comes out of the bag for serious landscape use for me, and that means a tripod 90% of the time.

Fair enough, Dave. NW Kent is somewhat flat, hence more architectural shots in London, than landscape for me. Unless I take a coastal trip out.

Thanks for that link Dave (y)

Haha 1/6 jeeze it`s not surprising is it. I wouldn`t even contemplate shooting at that speed without a tripod (unless going for ICM) ... Some people eh ;)
1/15 is possible at the wide end, but not in a squatting position! Had it down to 1/5 on the H1, but a bit hit and miss. Still a great lens though.

Hi guys
I know a few of you have the 10-24, but does anyone use the 14mm? I`m torn between the two. My pre fuji wide was the sigma 20mm art, so I`m used to primes.

Got both, 14mm has the edge, but not by much
Size and weight is another matter, 14mm is a nice companion to the 18-55 when travelling light even uses the same hood.
Obviously 10-24 is much more versatile, but its quite a bit bigger, heavier and pricier.

Had my 14mm up for sale, but then kept it to try my hand at a bit if astrophotography, not got round to it as yet.
Supposed to be a lot better than the 16mm for that particular speciality, something to do with coma apparently

With a WA and OIS it should be very possible. I can get up to 1 second sharp images with the G80, that's IBIS, but decent lens OIS can be near as good. Just takes some practice. Leaning against a wall or pole helps a lot too
I guess all the years leaning against lamp posts helped your technique :p

Hi guys

If your happy with a constant F4 Sir, then the 10-24mm is the lens to go for, optically & stabilisation its “Excellent”.(y)

George.

Last edited:
A couple from the Anti Brexit march today. Still working my way through them.

Number 1, this guy was just there the whole time, not moving as hundreds of thousands filed past

Number 2, things started getting heated outside Downing Street. This man was demonstrating against PTSD and it all got a bit too much for him. He's just about to give someone a mouthful in this. Unfortunately the police barged me out of the way as I was lining up for more shots. He was eventually calmed down and allowed to stay

DSCF3450 by Nick Brennan, on Flickr

DSCF3482 by Nick Brennan, on Flickr

A few initial observations from using the X-T3 (I traded my X-T2 so can't directly compare, still have an X-T1 to hand):
  • AF-C works a lot better for me, I have focus priority set and on the X-T2 that would mean I missed shots as the focus wasn't ready, on the X-T3 the box is green a lot of the time and reacts to taking a shot far quicker.
  • AF-S to be honest I haven't used a great deal as the AF-C is so much improved, it seems similar in function and speed to the X-T2, albeit better I think in low light.
  • The AF system still much prefers vertical contrast lines over horizontal.
  • The build seems pretty good, the textured grip areas feel a bit slicker to me. That might just be in comparison to the rubber grip of the X-T1 though.
  • Silver finish is nice, too early to see how it will wear.
  • Battery life, well it's shiny and new so I'm using everything all of the time so no real feel for that yet. It's certainly no worse than the X-T2.
  • Non 'S' batteries are reported as draining quicker and also the boost mode is limited. 3rd party batteries still work though, not blocked at all.
  • New EVF is nice, didn't like the over size text but then realized I had turned that on in the settings...
  • Touch screen I haven't used much, it dif annoy when I accidentally enabled it and my focus point was moving accidentally...
  • The smaller EC dial and it moving in a tiny amount as a result has made it unusable for changing with just my thumb. It's a muscle memory thing at the moment as I keep trying to do that and it's annoying, I'll adapt though.
  • Rolling shutter is still there, it's better than before but in ES and shooting action I'm still on the fence if it is usable. I shoot slow speed pans a lot...
  • The AF works differently with regards to the size of the AF box, previously with the X-T2 I could use a small setting and peak through the foliage of a tree to a small bird with ease (using the 100-400) but this is not working very well at all at the moment. It just downright fails, with repeated attempts finally getting it there but if course the little birdy is long gone.
  • On my camera I'm getting scan lines in the EVF/LCD with artificial light. It doesn't show in pictures, but it's annoying. I don't know if it's a fault with my camera (likely?) or something the X-T3 just does.
Erm that's what I can think of for the moment, F1 qualification starting so I'll add anything else I think of later!

A few initial observations from using the X-T3 (I traded my X-T2 so can't directly compare, still have an X-T1 to hand):
  • AF-C works a lot better for me, I have focus priority set and on the X-T2 that would mean I missed shots as the focus wasn't ready, on the X-T3 the box is green a lot of the time and reacts to taking a shot far quicker.
  • AF-S to be honest I haven't used a great deal as the AF-C is so much improved, it seems similar in function and speed to the X-T2, albeit better I think in low light.
  • The AF system still much prefers vertical contrast lines over horizontal.
  • The build seems pretty good, the textured grip areas feel a bit slicker to me. That might just be in comparison to the rubber grip of the X-T1 though.
  • Silver finish is nice, too early to see how it will wear.
  • Battery life, well it's shiny and new so I'm using everything all of the time so no real feel for that yet. It's certainly no worse than the X-T2.
  • Non 'S' batteries are reported as draining quicker and also the boost mode is limited. 3rd party batteries still work though, not blocked at all.
  • New EVF is nice, didn't like the over size text but then realized I had turned that on in the settings...
  • Touch screen I haven't used much, it dif annoy when I accidentally enabled it and my focus point was moving accidentally...
  • The smaller EC dial and it moving in a tiny amount as a result has made it unusable for changing with just my thumb. It's a muscle memory thing at the moment as I keep trying to do that and it's annoying, I'll adapt though.
  • Rolling shutter is still there, it's better than before but in ES and shooting action I'm still on the fence if it is usable. I shoot slow speed pans a lot...
  • The AF works differently with regards to the size of the AF box, previously with the X-T2 I could use a small setting and peak through the foliage of a tree to a small bird with ease (using the 100-400) but this is not working very well at all at the moment. It just downright fails, with repeated attempts finally getting it there but if course the little birdy is long gone.
  • On my camera I'm getting scan lines in the EVF/LCD with artificial light. It doesn't show in pictures, but it's annoying. I don't know if it's a fault with my camera (likely?) or something the X-T3 just does.
Erm that's what I can think of for the moment, F1 qualification starting so I'll add anything else I think of later!
One of my complaints is that I keep moving the S/C/M focus mode button with the Vertical grip fitted. Other than the, I am still finding my way around the camera, but on the whole I prefer it to my Canon 5D Mkiii.

One of my complaints is that I keep moving the S/C/M focus mode button with the Vertical grip fitted. Other than the, I am still finding my way around the camera, but on the whole I prefer it to my Canon 5D Mkiii.

The button I mash with my fat fingers all the time, is the right d-pad button. I've done that on all of the X-T bodies though! :D

A couple more from the Anti Brexit march

Number 1 was from a small but loud group of Leavers who were antagonising the marchers. This guy seemed to be the main voice for the group

Number 2 was taken at a small rally off of Whitehall attended by veterans against PTSD

DSCF3497 by Nick Brennan, on Flickr

DSCF3506 by Nick Brennan, on Flickr

I wasn’t even aware of this modevon the X-T2. Will have to investigate further.

A couple from a trip to Tate Britain yesterday:

1. Inspired by one of my favourite Flickr museum/gallery photographers, Hildegard Spickenbaum
Hilde by ian marsh, on Flickr

2. Not 100% happy with this one so will go back and try again, but for now...
Engrenage I by ian marsh, on Flickr

3. And a Millbank Tower grab shot that I liked
Millbank by ian marsh, on Flickr

All Samyang 12mm on XT2

Last edited:
The second shot was also the one that caught my eye. I hadn't noticed your comment about trying again with it until Stephen commented so I went to flickr for a better look.
It does appear to have a slight (very slight) lean to it which I wouldn't have noticed (didn't) on first viewing. Other than that I wouldn't change anything either. Superb shot.

The second shot was also the one that caught my eye. I hadn't noticed your comment about trying again with it until Stephen commented so I went to flickr for a better look.
It does appear to have a slight (very slight) lean to it which I wouldn't have noticed (didn't) on first viewing. Other than that I wouldn't change anything either. Superb shot.
I hadn't noticed the lean but will try to correct it. There was a lot of distortion from the lens and I didn't have the camera either vertically aligned or properly horizontal (I blame the drink). I also want to try from a higher angle so there is less glare off the floor but a shot worth taking a few times I think.

I'm happy to report that I am now an owner of an XT-3. I've been fondling it and familiarising myself with the menus and settings but, amazing as it is, I haven't taken a single shot with it yet. Not one :eek:

The reason? I was faffing around with the menus and so forth and I got the idea that I didn't want my first shot to be of the living room carpet or something and I'd wait until I got something slightly more interesting. Bit weird, eh?

Mind you this could go on for some time so I will probably change my mind and take a picture of the cat tomorrow :)

I'm happy to report that I am now an owner of an XT-3. I've been fondling it and familiarising myself with the menus and settings but, amazing as it is, I haven't taken a single shot with it yet. Not one :eek:

The reason? I was faffing around with the menus and so forth and I got the idea that I didn't want my first shot to be of the living room carpet or something and I'd wait until I got something slightly more interesting. Bit weird, eh?

Mind you this could go on for some time so I will probably change my mind and take a picture of the cat tomorrow :)

As @Mr Perceptive said to me, don`t be affraid to up the ISO as it looks really cool just over 12,800.

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure the first pictures on any camera I have had are of my foot up on the foot stool whilst I'm lounging on the sofa fiddling with the new camera :D

I'm pretty sure the first pictures on any camera I have had are of my foot up on the foot stool whilst I'm lounging on the sofa fiddling with the new camera :D

It's the same for me, but I had the notion I'd try and do it differently this time. As I say, I will doubtless get back to the foot pics frame of mind tomorrow :)

That’s a positive “RESULT” Sir, “ENJOY”, (y)

George.

I had a day out on Saturday at a couple of National Trust properties (Red House, Bexleyheath and Ightham Mote, Sevenoaks), so had the opportunity to have a good wander round with the camera, here are a selection of some of the close up shots I got. I'll try and get some exterior shots up of the locations too, but that may not be today.

Flower in the sun by Josh Kneller, on Flickr
Autumn leaves by Josh Kneller, on Flickr
No sitting by Josh Kneller, on Flickr
Playing cards by Josh Kneller, on Flickr
Abandoned bike by Josh Kneller, on Flickr
Bookshelf by Josh Kneller, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

Back