The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I have these thoughts, as I'm starting to print bigger, that said I've not really got any complaints about only 24MP. A few things put me off the Sony, namely the handling, adjustment of the focus point and the cost of quality glass. The cameras just don't have that pick and use me look of the Fuji's. My son is about to buy an A7iii (he does a lot of video as well), so I'm sure I'll get some more first hand experience of the Sony's.

Unless you are printing big, then IMO the extra mega pixels just are not required, increased DR would be useful as my week with the GFX taught me, but I really dont want the extra weight.

Thanks David - glad I'm not the only one having evil thoughts! I shoot mainly landscapes and macros so the extra resolution and DR are appealing... need to go and watch another few hundred Youtube reviews then probably decide to do nothing :)

Thanks David - glad I'm not the only one having evil thoughts! I shoot mainly landscapes and macros so the extra resolution and DR are appealing... need to go and watch another few hundred Youtube reviews then probably decide to do nothing :)

I did this recently. Had my mind set on a Sony, either A7RII or if I could get a good deal on a used A7III. It almost happened, agreed to buy an A7III on here that was going for a good price with an adapter to boot, but it didn't work out - insured delivery to Ireland was pushing it beyond my budget. After failing to get a good deal on an A7Rii I though, to heck with it, the lenses I would want to get the best from it are out of reach for me anyway, so I just went and bought an X-H1 :D Stomped that GAS right out

I did this recently. Had my mind set on a Sony, either A7RII or if I could get a good deal on a used A7III. It almost happened, agreed to buy an A7III on here that was going for a good price with an adapter to boot, but it didn't work out - insured delivery to Ireland was pushing it beyond my budget. After failing to get a good deal on an A7Rii I though, to heck with it, the lenses I would want to get the best from it are out of reach for me anyway, so I just went and bought an X-H1 :D Stomped that GAS right out

Seems very sensible! I can't shake the bad thoughts so I might just need to do it then probably be back at Fuji within a year ;)

I have these thoughts, as I'm starting to print bigger, that said I've not really got any complaints about only 24MP. A few things put me off the Sony, namely the handling, adjustment of the focus point and the cost of quality glass. The cameras just don't have that pick and use me look of the Fuji's. My son is about to buy an A7iii (he does a lot of video as well), so I'm sure I'll get some more first hand experience of the Sony's.

Unless you are printing big, then IMO the extra mega pixels just are not required, increased DR would be useful as my week with the GFX taught me, but I really dont want the extra weight.

Been there the Sony is a stunning camera IQ wise and you wouldn't be disappointed with the IQ. But for me the only time I really noticed the difference was if I pixel peeped.
`The extra DR was very nice espically for landscapes but personally I tend to blend a lot of my shots that need the extra DR so not a deal breaker for me.
In the end I just preferred the Fuji's for handling and it seemed all my favourite shots where taken with the Fuji.

I have been looking at specs etc and considering a Fuji X-T2 or X-T3. It seems that the faster used lenses are a rare as teeth in a hen, checked MPB, Wex, and LCE, very few and far between, does this mean they are so good people don't sell, or there aren't many about anyway.
For example XT10-24mm F4, not a one for sale on the second hand market.

2 in the classifieds last week - i got one of them! MBP has 10 from £619-649.

Shot with my new (to me) X-T2 - again got a lot of hot pixels and general noise in the shot but probably just due to the kind of shot rather than the camera I think? Not sure whether I am over-analysing as it's a new camera or whether it's an issue. I don't recall similar things with my X-T20 (which makes no sense as the innards are the same I believe?)

Love that, cracking shot....

Shot with my new (to me) X-T2 - again got a lot of hot pixels and general noise in the shot but probably just due to the kind of shot rather than the camera I think? Not sure whether I am over-analysing as it's a new camera or whether it's an issue. I don't recall similar things with my X-T20 (which makes no sense as the innards are the same I believe?)

Last Rays of the Day
by Mike Smith, on Flickr
This is not just a Fujifilm issue.....
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61049433

Lovely shot btw !!

Thanks Pete - interesting link! I have LE NR set to off by the way - is the accepted wisdom to have it on?

Any camera I've owned with this option the general consensus when I searched was to leave it off. It can cause some funky issues, and also slows up the whole process, taking twice as long to process in cam after the shot

Last Rays of the Day
by Mike Smith, on Flickr
Not a lot wrong with that image, think you are pixel peeping, I would be happy with that shot

Another one from the Severn, I like the way the light falls on the reed bed in this one.

Sharpness_Reeds by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

This is gorgeous! I do have to ask though - is the horizon straight or are my eyes playing tricks because of the rise in ground level in the distance - from left to right toward the hills? Probably just my eyes :D

This is gorgeous! I do have to ask though - is the horizon straight or are my eyes playing tricks because of the rise in ground level in the distance - from left to right toward the hills? Probably just my eyes :D

I have had that argument with myself several times already :LOL:

I pulled down a ruler in LR and it was straight, and the horizon bar on the camera was green, so I'm going to go with "yes, it is"....

Thanks, Dave. It benefitted massively from some decluttering the background but I'm loving the minimalist look.

I started off with the 16-55mm looking for bluebells but tbh, quickly changed to the 50-140mm... it's just a brilliant, brilliant lens.

Tried it on the X-H1 yesterday, what a cracking lens it is too.

Excellent shot George and I suspect a large dose of karma for the fish & chip stealing seagull

Thank you fellow snapper, I sure do appreciate your reply.

George.

Could anyone tell me if this is any good via an adaptor for the XT3 please.??? Screenshot_20190506_100736_com.facebook.katana.jpeg

Could anyone tell me if this is any good via an adaptor for the XT3 please.??? View attachment 244341

There will be no problem with using it on the X-T3, it has an aperture ring and you will focus manually.
There are 6 versions of this lens - I can't tell from that image which version it is.
Generally the 55mm f2 was at its' best from f4 to f11.
Make sure it is in good condition.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Just watched Kai W's video review of the Ricoh GRiii - seems unbelievable that Ricoh have managed to fit IBIS into such a small camera with an APS-C sensor ?!

If thats possible why havent Fuji managed to fit IBIS into the X-T3 ?

Thanks Pete - interesting link! I have LE NR set to off by the way - is the accepted wisdom to have it on?
The disadvantage with having it on is the time factor, as you know the camera is unoperative for the same amount of time afterwards although you can move the camera. But saying that it does the job. The other option would be to take a dark frame exposure and do it in post.

Thanks David - I must admit I was hoping you would reply :)

You're right. What I have ended up doing is a long exposure into the sun at f22 then pixel peeping and wondering why I am finding faults - what a plonker.

I took a few others at a more sensible aperture (the sunstars are not as good which is why I chose the f22 one to process) and a shorter exposure and there are very few hot pixels and surprise surprise it all looks a lot more like I would expect.

I am tempted by a switch to Sony (A7Rii maybe + 16-35 f4 + 90mm for macros) but I'm not going to rush into it because of a couple of shots which are not typical of what I tend to shoot anyway.

Thanks again, Mike.
I think exposure blending is your best hope of a good result on this kind of shot, regardless of what sensor you're using - there's no free lunch.

Are you familiar with luminosity masks? I think they would probably be the best approach here, and could probably eliminate the slight halo above the roadway, which is inoffensive but probably fixable.

I think exposure blending is your best hope of a good result on this kind of shot, regardless of what sensor you're using - there's no free lunch.

Are you familiar with luminosity masks? I think they would probably be the best approach here, and could probably eliminate the slight halo above the roadway, which is inoffensive but probably fixable.

Thanks Dave. I potter about with Photoshop Elements but nothing as clever as luminosity masks - I could try blending but the results I've had in the past have not been to my liking to be honest (my fault I'm sure).

Had a play with an A7Rii this afternoon and am seriously tempted now - mostly GAS but need to scratch the itch I think...

Cheers

Thanks Dave. I potter about with Photoshop Elements but nothing as clever as luminosity masks - I could try blending but the results I've had in the past have not been to my liking to be honest (my fault I'm sure).

Had a play with an A7Rii this afternoon and am seriously tempted now - mostly GAS but need to scratch the itch I think...

Cheers

One thing to be wary of with the A7rii is the file sizes, those RAWs are going to be huge so you need a decent PC to comfortably process them. If you have a couple hundred RAW files to get through you may suffer some frustration. If you are the more patient type though, the files will be glorious, incredible DR and detail all over. I almost bought one myself. I could see myself being happy enough with a couple nice primes for that camera. The 85mm 1.8 looks incredible

Cheers
Lightroom's HDR gives a pretty naturalistic result when it works, these days. Much better than five years ago, and always worth a try to see what you get, given it's quick and easy.

But for difficult cases, I get the best results blending by hand, for which luminosity masks are often the best starting point, although I think you will need full Photoshop.

Jimmy McIntyre has a bunch of free tutorials about it, as do some others. He has a panel to sell you that speeds things up, but he always shows you how to do it without his panel, which I think is very fair of him.

Back