The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I’m looking for a tidy macro lens for my Fuji X-t3. The 60mm is not a dedicated macro lens, and is only 0.5x magnification. Has any one any experience of a macro lens on a Fuji, it doesn’t have to be a Fuji lens, I just enjoy macro photography so want something which givesdecent result. Have thought about tubes, but sometimes they mean the lens to subject distance is very close.
In my Nikon days I had a 105mm f2.8 macro lens.

If you don't like the macro-tube route, then look for an old manual focus lens and cheap adapter. Something like the old Vivitar 55mm f/2.8 1:1 macro and corresponding mount adapter to Fuji X. The 'dumb' adapters can be had for about £10, and a lens like this will set you back about £80 - 100, depending on the condition.

I’m looking for a tidy macro lens for my Fuji X-t3. The 60mm is not a dedicated macro lens, and is only 0.5x magnification. Has any one any experience of a macro lens on a Fuji, it doesn’t have to be a Fuji lens, I just enjoy macro photography so want something which givesdecent result. Have thought about tubes, but sometimes they mean the lens to subject distance is very close.

I`ve got the fuj 80mm, and really like it. Been through sigma 105, and 150 on Nikon (but that`s all gone now).

I`ve got the fuj 80mm, and really like it. Been through sigma 105, and 150 on Nikon (but that`s all gone now).
The xf80/2.8 macro gets my vote too, it's an excellent lens, even in my hands!

Fancy one myself but they aren't cheap are they. Have you tired it with any of the t/c's?

I'm now using the Zeiss 50mm macro, Which delivers excellent results, although at 1:1 the hood is all but touching the subject, and it has similar focusing properties to the 60mm, IE It always racks away towards infinity first which inevitably causes it to lock on to the background and steadfastly refuse to focus up close. I got it for a very keen price, I had been saving for the 80mm.

I was thinking of a budget option, then again lightshipman didn't give one! :D The 80mm is the obvious choice, but it is very pricey for a macro, no matter how nice it might be.

Thankyou all for your replies.
The 80mm is out of my price range. I am now thinking of an older Nikon 50mm macro, manual lens, as I have the Fuji to Nikon lens adapter, manual doesn’t bother me because I tend to use manual a lot when doing macro, and also focus stack the images, so will be asking my sliding rail.
I thought I would post here to get ideas, and possible solutions to my urge for macro togging.

Last edited:
Fancy one myself but they aren't cheap are they. Have you tired it with any of the t/c's?

I know, but when I sold all my Nikon gear, I had a short list of what I could get ;) As for t/c`s I`ve been tempted for sure, but stayed off the GAS for the time being :D

The 80mm is out of my price range. I am now thinking of an older Nikon 50mm macro, manual lens, as I have the Fuji to Nikon lens adapter, manual doesn’t bother me because I tend to use manual a lot when doing macro, and also focus stack the images, so will be asking my sliding rail.
I thought I would post here to get ideas, and possible solutions to my urge for macro togging.

Just had a quick search, and this might be of interest, Andrew

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4345283

The Nikon 60mm 2.8D is an absoloute cracker too, very easy to MF with, extremely sharp lens.

The other option is to go with the Fuji 60mm 2.4 and slap a Raynox on the front when you need 1:1. As it is, 0.5x magnification can be really fun too, it's still better than most lenses even ones that can focus in pretty close. Look at the new Canon RF mount 35mm 1.8 'macro' - that too only does 1:2 and people are raving about it. I've thought about the 60mm, as I already have a Raynox 250 - incredible bit of kit, can turn any lens into a macro [80mm+ preferably] in the case of a lens that already does 1:2 at 60mm it will give greater than 1:1 [1.2:1 acc to the raynox calculator] , maintains AF and does not affect IQ. If you can get the lens used for less than 300, the Raynox goes for about £60-70. And you get a decent little AF portrait lens to boot.

Last edited:
I know, but when I sold all my Nikon gear, I had a short list of what I could get ;) As for t/c`s I`ve been tempted for sure, but stayed off the GAS for the time being :D
Yep, I’ve got to stay off the gas. Still got a couple of Nikon lenses to be shot of, hoping end of month payday may help another one or two to find new homes.

Last edited:

I`m really busy for the next few days, but when I`m back on the weekend send me your address and I will give you my Raynox 250 as I still have a 150 Raynox.

The Nikon 60mm 2.8D is an absoloute cracker too, very easy to MF with, extremely sharp lens.

The other option is to go with the Fuji 60mm 2.4 and slap a Raynox on the front when you need 1:1. As it is, 0.5x magnification can be really fun too, it's still better than most lenses even ones that can focus in pretty close. Look at the new Canon RF mount 35mm 1.8 'macro' - that too only does 1:2 and people are raving about it. I've thought about the 60mm, as I already have a Raynox 250 - incredible bit of kit, can turn any lens into a macro [80mm+ preferably] in the case of a lens that already does 1:2 at 60mm it will give greater than 1:1 [1.2:1 acc to the raynox calculator] , maintains AF and does not affect IQ. If you can get the lens used for less than 300, the Raynox goes for about £60-70. And you get a decent little AF portrait lens to boot.

Gardenershelper on this forum uses raynoxes, and does get some incredible results. I have been keeping my eyes open for a used 60mm.

I`m really busy for the next few days, but when I`m back on the weekend send me your address and I will give you my Raynox 250 as I still have a 150 Raynox.

That is mighty generous of you Dave! fair play :) The 250 works really well with FL between 60 and 100, beyond that it gets tricky and the 150 is probably preferable. I've used the 250 with many lenses, I like it best between 80 - 130mm, where I get anything from 0.7x to over 1:1 [useful for bugs] - on shorter non macro lenses around 60-80mm you're not getting 1:1 but it can work better for more close up rather than full on macro. The beauty of it is it can work on just about any lens. Even short lenses benefit, like a 35mm - it will allow you focus in beyond their CFD. You do ideally want lenses with a filter thread between 52 and 67mm though, otherwise you will need step up or down filter rings.

I recently bought these tubes from Amazon, only £31.00

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07544FQXM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

11 & 16mm in length. Have used them on the 35 f1.4 and the 90 f2. With the 90, which has a pretty long close focus distance, even with both tubes I was still about 10cm from the subject.

20p_crop by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Rose_01 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

snail by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07544FQXM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

11 & 16mm in length. Have used them on the 35 f1.4 and the 90 f2. With the 90, which has a pretty long close focus distance, even with both tubes I was still about 10cm from the subject.

I was looking at those earlier today, saw a person on YouTube video using them, on the verge of buying but trying to find out how they would be on the 18-55 kit lens. Don’t know if the 23mm f2 would give results either.

I was looking at those earlier today, saw a person on YouTube video using them, on the verge of buying but trying to find out how they would be on the 18-55 kit lens. Don’t know if the 23mm f2 would give results either.

For that money you can't go wrong really. Will probably be fine on the little zoom. I intend to try them on the 50-140 when I get a chance.

There's cheaper again on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fotga-Macr...P7AG4FSY3SN&psc=1&refRID=ZZ4E9NZ2CP7AG4FSY3SN

I had a set, think mine were Meike, but they are all the same thing. They do work really well, I used them with the 35 1.4, I think focal lengths below that will struggle a bit as your working distance will be too short. As far as I can recall 35-50mm is your best bet, I also used them with an adapted Helios 58mm lens, sometimes reversing the lens onto the adapter with the macro rings in behind for extreme close up. But just the rings alone will work well with a 35 or 50mm native lens and you keep AF

I’m looking at the Canon 100 L to put on my X-T2.

I have the Nikon Nikon AF 60mm f/2.8D and bought the converter to use this with on the Fuji. Happy to take a few samples if you would like once I am home at the weekend.

I also used to have the Nikon 55mm f/2.8 AI-s which would be a good option as it is manual only and cheaper and smaller. I loved it and really wish I had not sold it on here now, especially as these can suffer with oily blades and mine was a perfect example.

I have had both the 150 and 250 since my Canon days, could never get on with the 250 but love the 150. So as it`s just in the original box and in my desk draw not being used I thought Andrew can have fun with it.
Very much appreciated thanks Dave. Look forward to trying it.
I ve been trying a Fuji to Nikon adapter tonight, with a Nikon fit 10mm ext tube between that and a Nikon 50mm f1.8 D lens. It did macro, but very hard to focus and had to get so close. Not a brilliant result, and when I added tubes it was just not workable.

I have the Nikon Nikon AF 60mm f/2.8D and bought the converter to use this with on the Fuji. Happy to take a few samples if you would like once I am home at the weekend.

I also used to have the Nikon 55mm f/2.8 AI-s which would be a good option as it is manual only and cheaper and smaller. I loved it and really wish I had not sold it on here now, especially as these can suffer with oily blades and mine was a perfect example.
Would love to see an example. Cheers

Reactions: DpM
Fuji summer cashback now live. I just got a 16mm F1.4 for £669 :D

Last edited:
Is the cashback available across all retailers, you claim it back from Fuji after purchase? Or is it in conjunction with only certain retailers?

Is the cashback available across all retailers, you claim it back from Fuji after purchase? Or is it in conjunction with only certain retailers?
There is a list of retailers on the Fuji website basically it's official UK stockists. The only place you will have to be careful is Amazon just make sure it comes from Amazon and not the marketplace.
Yes you have to claim it back from Fuji after purchase, there is a 30 day wait before you can claim. I have always found that Fuji process the claims pretty quick once you maid the claim.

I have looked at the 90 as well, and thought it may do well with tubes. I tried my Nikon 50mm f1.8 D last night, with Nikon tubes in between the lens and my Fuji to Nikon adapter, results were not brilliant, very very shallow depth of field, even if I had stacked the images I think it would not have been good.
I’m going to sit it out until Dave sends me the Raynox, and see if it works with any of my present lenses.
Priority wise I just think of what I used with my Nikon D750, and it was probably this order,
18-35, and a close tie between my 24-

There is a list of retailers on the Fuji website basically it's official UK stockists. The only place you will have to be careful is Amazon just make sure it comes from Amazon and not the marketplace.
Yes you have to claim it back from Fuji after purchase, there is a 30 day wait before you can claim. I have always found that Fuji process the claims pretty quick once you maid the claim.

I purchased the X-T3 two weeks ago and was able to claim that day online. LCE had received an email from Fuji saying that they had lifted the 30 day wait period - not sure if that was just for the £100 trade in bonus though. Once I completed the online form, it was approved and paid into my bank within 48 hours. Very impressed.

Back