The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Got my X T30 from the refurb store yesterday. And though I am familiar with setting up Fuji cameras it has taken me a full day of playing, and with the manual at my side, to get it fully set up to my liking.
I find it hard to imagine how a novice manages to do a decent set up. And not spend their life lost in menu systems every time they need to change settings.

Up to this point my little X30 has been my favourite handling camera. And will still be my go to walkabout choice. But my XE2 will definitely have to take a back seat.

Though I have fairly large hands, I find the X T30 controls pretty much in ideal positions.
Even the much hated Q button works well for me. And so far I have not pushed it accidentally.
The joy stick cause me a few problems before I found that it had a setting that required it to be pressed before it activated.
Between the fixed buttons and control wheels and swipe actions and the Q button I can get to every adjustment and function, quickly and easily.
Holding is definitely easier with a hand grip / Swiss type mount attached.

All in all, I am well pleased with it so far. However I have not had the opportunity to use it in earnest yet. Though I have probably made several hundred clicks getting used to making settings.

Sitting in a sushi bar in Soho, I noticed these reflections from the fridges in there. I really liked what they added to the shot

Soho by Nick Brennan, on Flickr

That`s a really cool effect. Well seen sir (y)

XT3 promptly arrived from Fuji refurb today, looks all good, only thing missing was the cap on the sync socket on the front but they have posted one out today.

Initial play and sadly it seems, I will be parting with my Nikon as it seems to be a lovely camera, great to use and although I have an X100F it is still taking a whole to play and go through settings, as terry above alluded to.

One question that is stumping me after the manual and google! On my D750 the front dial controls shutter speed and the rear aperture. The front will change shutter but only up to the next level (i.e. dial is set to 250 and will go up to 500 or down to 125) but can't get the rear to adjust aperture.

A couple of Cosplay shots using the XT3 this weekend.
Just for the fun of it

Harley Quinn - Suicide Squad
by Tim White, on Flickr

The second was taken in high speed burst and continuous autofocus.
I'm not sure I had the right settings though, as there were a reasonable number not quite in focus.
I don't think this is perfectly in focus, but love the expression and it's "good enough" :)

Jon Snow - Game of Thrones
by Tim White, on Flickr

Last edited:
XT3 promptly arrived from Fuji refurb today, looks all good, only thing missing was the cap on the sync socket on the front but they have posted one out today.

Initial play and sadly it seems, I will be parting with my Nikon as it seems to be a lovely camera, great to use and although I have an X100F it is still taking a whole to play and go through settings, as terry above alluded to.

One question that is stumping me after the manual and google! On my D750 the front dial controls shutter speed and the rear aperture. The front will change shutter but only up to the next level (i.e. dial is set to 250 and will go up to 500 or down to 125) but can't get the rear to adjust aperture.

Surely the top dial controls shutter speed in whole stops. the wheel Only sets fractions Of stops to the next value. The aperture is set on the lens. Except where the lens has no aperture ring, when the front control wheet takes over the function but probably has to set to do so in the menu. That is how it works on the X T30 anyway.

Last edited:

if you want to control shutter speed via the front dial only - set the shutter speed dial to T

Go to settings and then to the spanner then button/dial settings then command dial setting and you can switch the function of the front and rear dials around if you prefer them more like your Nikon. Whilst still in button/dial setting, scroll down to aperture ring setting and make sure it is set to 'COMMAND' - once in command mode you will then be able to set aperture ring to A, whilst in A you can use the front dial to adjust aperture (or rear if you've swapped the dials to your preference) - next, set shutter speed dial to T position then you can use the rear dial to change the shutter speed.

Another option available to you in button/dial setting is to set the ISO to also be able to be controlled by the front dial. Go to button/dial settings then ISO dial setting (A) and set it to COMMAND then when you set ISO dial to A you can press the front dial button in (its is a button as well as a dial) repeat until there is a half circle (command dial icon) above iso indicator in your viewfinder then use the front dial to adjust the ISO.

You can have 3 functions set to the front dial, you can also set exposure comp to be controlled via this dial. whilst the top exposure comp dial is set to C. Just repeat pressing the front dial button until the function you require is indicated in your viewfinder with that semi-circle (dial) icon.

Hope thats some help and hasn't just confused issues.

Last edited:
Thanks, will take a look later. Steve, have a feeling it may not be set to command!

The more I play with it the more I like it! The noise at 1600 is possibly a bit more than the D750 but that's not based on any science and starting to get used to the feel of a smaller and lighter setup. It does feel like I am disowning a child and adopting another though!!

What do people use for RAW processing? I use LR5 for my D750 and that's fine, although it wont support XT3 RAW. Assume that going to LR Cloud will sort that issue (something I was going to do anyway)?

Just now need to decide on next lens purchase!!! Think the 56mm 1.2 looks to be the ideal portrait lens for me, just torn on the wider angle. 10-24 or the 16mm 2.8?

Personally i have swapped to capture one..... prior to my Xt3 i had a Canon 7d2 so was still using the old Lightroom 6 which is obviously no longer supported for the newer XT3. I really don't like the idea of subscription based software which is why i had never moved on from LR6, so initially i was put off by the price of Capture one so picked up the latest version of ON1 photo raw instead, the software is great but one thing was bothering me with it and that was ON1's application of the film simulations to RAW..... they are horrendous! they look nothing like the out of camera JPG's...... So if you have no wish to apply the simulations to your raws as a start point then its an ok software but i regularly like to use the classic chrome simulation as a start point for my Raws and this simulation in particular looks terrible in ON1.

Anyway, i was not content with it so i tried the free version of Capture One for Fuji (express), the fact they work closely with Fuji means the Simulations applied in Capture one look identical to the ones applied in camera to the jpgs so i am now very happy with this aspect. They have regularly ran half price offers on Capture One for Fuji so the next time the offer popped up for me i bought it. So yeah i now use Capture One pro for Fuji. I will admit i find the software a bit confusing to use at times having come from lightroom but i am slowly getting used to it, but the results i am getting from it have been great and worth the learning curve.

First couple of shots processed from raw to see if any problems. None that I have noticed so far....T30X0015tweb.jpgT30X0019tweb.jpg

What do people use for RAW processing? I use LR5 for my D750 and that's fine, although it wont support XT3 RAW. Assume that going to LR Cloud will sort that issue (something I was going to do anyway)?

I use iridient for anything with a lot of foliage, and mostly for everything else Acr.

Last edited:

Just now need to decide on next lens purchase!!! Think the 56mm 1.2 looks to be the ideal portrait lens for me, just torn on the wider angle. 10-24 or the 16mm 2.8?

I use LightRoom Classic CC without any issues, and sometimes drop the image into PS to resize and add a border. Just turn the sharpening down on LR as it defaults to 40, and most of the time the output from my T2 is pretty sharp anyway.

Edit: Just to add, I've tried a few of the others, but personally I just don't think you can beat LR for workflow & cataloguing all in one application....

Last edited:
if you want to control shutter speed via the front dial only - set the shutter speed dial to T

Yup, this is what I do. If you have exp preview set to on, and use T for SS, it prevents annoying aperture chatter on certain lenses [well, all of them really but you notice it with the noisier ones] - I started doing this when i was adapting a Canon 50mm that would chatter like mad when set any other way and just got so used to it, it stays on T.

I use LightRoom Classic CC without any issues, and sometimes drop the image into PS to resize and add a border. Just turn the sharpening down on LR as it defaults to 40, and most of the time the output from my T2 is pretty sharp anyway.

Edit: Just to add, I've tried a few of the others, but personally I just don't think you can beat LR for workflow & cataloguing all in one application....

The first thing all Fuji users should do if they use LR is reset the default sharpening to below 20, 0 even and just add as required. 40 is too much and the old issues are already starting to creep in at that point. No idea why Adobe have it set so high, you should never need 40 sharpening

Last week I had the pleasure of a Fuji Xperience Day at Hylands House where I could play with the X-T3 all day and with a wide range of lenses too

Impressive bit of kit isn't it :)

It may well become my new camera system later this year !!! :D

Dave

It has mine too and now started to sell off the Nikon stuff! Big move as been Nikon for over 10 years now! The dilemma is just what lenses to get next, I am like a kid in a sweet shop and just want them all (well, most!)

Go to settings and then to the spanner then button/dial settings then command dial setting and you can switch the function of the front and rear dials around if you prefer them more like your Nikon. Whilst still in button/dial setting, scroll down to aperture ring setting and make sure it is set to 'COMMAND' - once in command mode you will then be able to set aperture ring to A, whilst in A you can use the front dial to adjust aperture (or rear if you've swapped the dials to your preference) - next, set shutter speed dial to T position then you can use the rear dial to change the shutter speed.

Another option available to you in button/dial setting is to set the ISO to also be able to be controlled by the front dial. Go to button/dial settings then ISO dial setting (A) and set it to COMMAND then when you set ISO dial to A you can press the front dial button in (its is a button as well as a dial) repeat until there is a half circle (command dial icon) above iso indicator in your viewfinder then use the front dial to adjust the ISO.

You can have 3 functions set to the front dial, you can also set exposure comp to be controlled via this dial. whilst the top exposure comp dial is set to C. Just repeat pressing the front dial button until the function you require is indicated in your viewfinder with that semi-circle (dial) icon.

Hope thats some help and hasn't just confused issues.

Interestingly Exactly the same applies to the XT30. Though in other areas the XT3 has options not available to the XT30.
Mine is set to rotate between aperture, Iso, and exposure compensation. This is much easier than using the dials when at eye level.
I have also set the "Flicks" to right , white balance; left, face select; up, face detect; down, AF.mode. Though I might change these with more experience in actual use.
It is also worth setting MY MENU for things that you use regularly but have to hunt for deeper in the menu system. which includes for me " preview Exp in manual mode" and "Edit save custom setting" as these can not be assigned to the "Q" button menu.

Though they have improve in this generation the problem with menu systems is the shear number of possibilities that you will never touch again after the initial set up, but still have to wade through to find more used items.

Does anyone know if you can remove auto lens corrections applied to fuji cameras? When editing in photoshop the lens corrections are already applied in camera and cant be removed. I sometimes do astro shots and star trails. The inbuilt lens corrections can result in a weird grid pattern when stacking multiple shots.

X-T3 btw, but was the same on my X-T2.

Ta

I totally love this 90mm f2 on the X-T3, today it was Natalie singing, she moved just enough on 1st shot to clone out the brolly.

Natalie by Dave, on Flickr

Yet another really good set of candid street style Fujigraphs, there's no holding you back once you get going. :):):)

George.

I've been using my X-T3 a lot more recently as I'm finding it the perfect camera for a day out.

I took it to the SVR last weekend and tried out the eye autofocus and it worked really well, hardly missed a shot.

sr1.jpg

sr2.jpg

sr3.jpg

sr4.jpg

I've been using my X-T3 a lot more recently as I'm finding it the perfect camera for a day out.

I took it to the SVR last weekend and tried out the eye autofocus and it worked really well, hardly missed a shot.

sr1.jpg

sr2.jpg

sr3.jpg

sr4.jpg

What lens? Lovely images.

Back