The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

It's actually a (semi) serious point. Launch prices are always high and prices drop when manus want to shift older models. But the recent round of BOGOFF deals have been particularly brutal for early adopters. Who can really say what a second hand 35mm is now worth? I'd need a very good reason to buy an X-T1 early in their life. And the spec sheet doesn't show me many. I can wait until they start giving me free stuff.

It saves you having to waste time on a computer creating effects that should never happen anyway ;)

Haven't seen the whole details yet (I do have some work to do) but I won't really be pre ordering. Experience says if I wait, Fuji will release a kit with X-T1, 56mm, 14mm, ride on the space shuttle and a unicorn for less than the launch price. I can wait ;)

Hehe - got you - If I have understood correctly that is actually a software effect that is available on the X10/X20 and perhaps other x range cameras as well that have the relevant software update. I must say it's not the best software feature anyway - gimmicky. The fake shift/tilt (or called miniature on my X10 menu) is however pretty good.

On needing to wait for a lens/body kit - I wonder why they won't be bundling almost instantly. After all a large range of x lenses are already available. Why not just package it up with one of them?

Think I might be getting one... Predictive AF looks awesome.

Think I'll follow Jonathan and wait for the free kitchen sink.

Really tempted by this. I think I'll be having a hands on at the NEC in March if Fuji are going.
His long did it take the other X cameras to drop in price? And how long does it generally take LR and PS to support the new cameras?

Fujifilm_X-Pro1_Body_graph.png

Fujifilm_X-E2_Body_graph.png

Last edited:
Looking at the competition its priced 'fairly' so I cant see big drops any time soon.

EM1 - £1200
A7 - £1200

Last edited:
Yes does seem well priced. Was planning on a 6D to accompany my 7D... Will have to wait for the full reviews say about low light focussing and noise levels at higher ISO.

Yes does seem well priced. Was planning on a 6D to accompany my 7D... Will have to wait for the full reviews say about low light focussing and noise levels at higher ISO.

I wouldve thought if you looked at XE2 images they will tell the tale (ISO). Low light AF is what Im interested in also. They always bang on about perfect daylight AF being fast etc. then you try it at home and think WTF.

Wish I hadn't seen the predictive AF stuff, really interesting samples. I now want to play around with one quite badly to see what it's capable of.

I am tempted. I'll wait until they turn up in the fuji refurb store for less than half price. If past experience is anything to go by, it'll should be there within a few weeks of official release.

Wish I hadn't seen the predictive AF stuff, really interesting samples. I now want to play around with one quite badly to see what it's capable of.

Yes, I'm saying im keeping my 7D but I may be ready to go DSLR free if the tracking is as good as that. The system just need a 300mm

I am tempted. I'll wait until they turn up in the fuji refurb store for less than half price. If past experience is anything to go by, it'll should be there within a few weeks of official release.

Half price after a few weeks? No chance.

Very nice indeed and less £ than I expected too. I'd like to have a feel of one hands on. The tilt screen and predictive AF sounds like it would be a very welcomed addition.

Must. Resist. Changing! Haha to be honest I am pretty happy with my XPro. I would be interested to wait towards a potential XPro-2.

I've only recently bought my X-Pro1, and whilst the specs of the -T1 are appealing I don't have any regrets about not waiting. Like a lot of X-series purchasers I'm coming from another system and I don't just need a body I need a system, complete with lenses. The keen pricing of the -Pro1 put the system buy-in cost at around £1,200. The -T1 is likely to come as a system cost around £2,200-£2,400 once you factor in two or three lenses, although the current £300 rebate on buying two lenses will sweeten the deal.

This camera has really caught my attention probably more so than any camera release in a long while. As a mirrorless m4/3 user, I've been hoping some would bring out a APS-C sensored mirrorless camera in an SLR styled body. The rangefinder style of the existing ones on the market just isn't for me. With FP etc and what looks to be usable AF tracking on some early reviews this could be a superb package.

Cheers,

Simon.

I get the feeling I'm the only person on the planet who likes to shoot with wide apertures and without ND's?

Does the base IS0 of 200 and the max shutter speed of 1/4000 not cause problems for you guys?

Personally after struggling with MFT with a base ISO of 100 I'm now happy as a pig is s--t with my A7 and can't see myself going back to the frustrations of ND on/off/on/off/on/off.

I get the feeling I'm the only person on the planet who likes to shoot with wide apertures and without ND's?

Does the base IS0 of 200 and the max shutter speed of 1/4000 not cause problems for you guys?

Personally after struggling with MFT with a base ISO of 100 I'm now happy as a pig is s--t with my A7 and can't see myself going back to the frustrations of ND on/off/on/off/on/off.

I shoot mainly wide open and dont have issues, on the odd day were blessed with sunshine in the uk Id just use an ND. Not really an issue, I find lack of AF lenses (to actually take pictures with) in a system far more frustrating.

Only Fuji I have ever owned is a Fuji compact bought about 7 years ago but must admit they have brought out some good looking compacts (XF1, X10 and X20) and mirrorless APS-C cameras of late and what sound like very good (if somewhat pricey) lenses.

They just seem to 'get it right' in areas where other mirrorless cameras have not - eg: regular firmware updates even for older models, good selection of quality lenses (unlike Sony Nex), retro done right and not just for retro sake (unlike imo Nikon DF and Olympus OMD). I know the cameras apparently have their quirks and the X-Trans sensor it's pluses and minuses but they do seem to be doing a lot right (even if they are not making a profit on cameras yet - to be fair neither is anyone else bar Nikon and Canon).

Maybe I will pick one up in a year or two when they are going for a few hundred quid. :)

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/fujifilm-x-t1-hands-on-review-23896

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/126747-hands-on-fujifilm-x-t1-review

Last edited:
It would seem to fill the needs of those who prefer the form of a DSLR. very well.
I prefer the rangefinder form of the X pro 1, and its other rangefinder style siblings.
But Fuji have certainly filled another gap.

Im going to wait for the x pro 2 i think and the 2.8 zooms. those and some primes will suit me better. im not keen on the variable aperture zooms though they are good quality i shoot mostly manual so will be the x pro 2 for me i expect. glad fuji are pushing forwards.

Cant help wonder if this is still just an incremental step up again. not sure yet.

I think it looks great and the lens line up is great but why oh why do they persevere with iso 200 as the lowest raw? Deal breaker when you regularly shoot long exposures.

I shoot mainly wide open and dont have issues, on the odd day were blessed with sunshine in the uk Id just use an ND. Not really an issue, I find lack of AF lenses (to actually take pictures with) in a system far more frustrating.

I don't have an issue with using ND's as such and if I could fit one and use it all day I wouldn't mind but my issue is with the constant fitting and removal as you can't simply fit one and use it all day as sooner or later your shutter speed is going to be 1/10 and your ISO 3200.

This is something that's pushed me out of MFT and together with Fuji processing issues (my CS5 puts a grid of dots over Fuji raws) will stop me buying into Fuji but as I seem to be the only one using wide apertures in reasonable light who doesn't want to blow the highlights it's just one lost sale to Fuji :D

Last edited:
I think it looks great and the lens line up is great but why oh why do they persevere with iso 200 as the lowest raw? Deal breaker when you regularly shoot long exposures.

To be honest the JPG quality is amazing from these x series cameras. No reason why you can't shoot in JPG (in JPG mode you get ISO 100) and take that into your digital dark room software.

I have experimented with both RAW and JPG from the X10 and to be honest although the JPG's may have a tendency to overcook when you push the sliders to the extreme, I have been really quite impressed with the PP results vs the same photo RAW.

Last edited:
To be honest the JPG quality is amazing from these x series cameras. No reason why you can't shoot in JPG (in JPG mode you get ISO 100) and take that into your digital dark room software.

I have experimented with both RAW and JPG from the X10 and to be honest although the JPG's may have a tendency to overcook when you push the sliders to the extreme I have been really quire impressed with the PP results you can extract.

And there you go, you've answered the question.

JPEG's are fine if nothing goes wrong but if you don't like the JPEG you're then limited in what you can do whereas with a raw file you'd have a much better chance of getting the result you want.

You've given me an idea.. a magfilter for threaded lenses. Instead of a glue-on base element for compacts without threads, a threaded base that ND magfilters can slip on and off. Zero hassle ND filters for those on-again-off-again days.

I have a CPL version for a compact, it's very quick to use and has a good hold onto the lens.

I'm more than happy with my xe1. i dont think you'll get much better iq than the current models and i find the AF fine, imo its a bit over stated its really not bad at all.
Though it looks like fuji have added another great camera

I have experimented with both RAW and JPG from the X10 and to be honest although the JPG's may have a tendency to overcook when you push the sliders to the extreme, I have been really quite impressed with the PP results vs the same photo RAW.
If your happy shooting Jpeg thats cool, I'm a raw man and need all the advantages raw brings.

This is something that's pushed me out of MFT and together with Fuji processing issues (my CS5 puts a grid of dots over Fuji raws) will stop me buying into Fuji but as I seem to be the only one using wide apertures in reasonable light who doesn't want to blow the highlights it's just one lost sale to Fuji :D

Nothing wrong with processing of Fuji RAWs. No dots in LR5 or CC or C1. So thats not an issue, its an issue with old (in Adobes mind) software.

Last edited:
Somebody on another forum is pointing out that at full res the sample images don't look all that good......

Trying not to go off topic, but never having used it....actually how useful is the OVF? i'm on the hunt for a second body at some point soon and its a tossup between the XP1 and XE2 (only because of the 180x on the exp dial)

To me, personally, it's not that useful at all. I know some people can't live without it and I respect that viewpoint. But really I almost never use it.

In fact if somebody wanted to talk to me about swapping my X-Pro 1 for an X-E1 I'd be all ears. I don't believe the X-Pro 1 gives me personally anything I need over the X-E1. (I've never even seen an X-E2 before you ask ;) )

apparently the focus is much faster and the viewfinder is much larger and smoother in operation. Jonathan are you using fuji for weddings?

Yes. Though not (usually) exclusively. I like the D800 too much and use the Nikon flash system quite heavily. But again, I could be persuaded into swapping my D3 for Fuji kit. FWIW at weddings I almost always shoot the Fujis in B&W.

To me, personally, it's not that useful at all. I know some people can't live without it and I respect that viewpoint. But really I almost never use it.

In fact if somebody wanted to talk to me about swapping my X-Pro 1 for an X-E1 I'd be all ears. I don't believe the X-Pro 1 gives me personally anything I need over the X-E1. (I've never even seen an X-E2 before you ask ;) )

Swapsies then? ;)

A bit more info;

I always like the fuji guys for getting a good look round a camera before I can handle one.

The optional battery grip has it's own shutter release and extra function buttons to make it more comfortable and practical for portrait work.

Last edited:
It's possible they have a point though. The 56 mm images were pretty odd considering. Now the X-T1 launch images are something of a mixed bag. It's odd because we know what the sensor is capable of.

Did you see the oblique comments Laroque made on his blog about the sample images? They had to be supplied as raw files to Fuji and he drops suggestions that Fuji may not have represented them in their best light on the official gallery. The examples on his blog (particularly the 100% crops) look better than those on the Fuji gallery, and they're the same images.

Back