The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

One of my first with the Fuji X-T2 and 35mm f2....our new pup.

The pup. by Thomas Green, on Flickr

Edit: this was a RAF file straight into LR. I then tried the same file with iridient and it looked way more noisy. Does iridient even help?

Aw, what a cutie! Lovely shot. I haven't used X-Transformer much on high ISO shots. It may well be that for those it's better to stick with LR (although note there are lots of option about which bits of LR's NR you use and which you override). Certainly there's not much wrong with this result, and I can't really imagine how more detail would be useful even if it were available, unless you want to print a billboard!

What do we think of these possible combinations? Which would be better (tough question I guess with no definitive answer)

10-24 + 18-55

or

14mm 2.8 + 23mm f2 + 18-55

Primarily landscape + travel photography

I do want versatility but also best IQ

Last edited:
What do we think of these possible combinations? Which would be better (tough question I guess with no definitive answer)

10-24 + 18-55

or

14mm 2.8 + 23mm f2 + 18-55

Primarily landscape + travel photography

I do want versatility but also best IQ
I owned the 10-24mm and 18-55mm combo. Ended up selling the latter and bought a 35mm 1.4. Not s8re I need anything else.....maybe a 55-200mm for very occasional use?

I have both those combos.
The zooms I use on walkabout or holidays or days out with SWMBO.
The primes I use when out on my own/on a proper togging day and I've time to sort myself out.
Extravagant? Maybe. But shrouds don't have pockets.

I owned the 10-24mm and 18-55mm combo. Ended up selling the latter and bought a 35mm 1.4. Not s8re I need anything else.....maybe a 55-200mm for very occasional use?

Think I will end up with the 10-24 as I enjoyed the 16-35mm on the A7. I have the 35mm f2 and been using it all this weekend - not sure I like the focal length though, think I'd get much more use out of a 23mm prime.

I can see me ending up with the 10-24 + 18-55 + 55-200 to be honest, covering all based then haha.

Personally I never loved the 18-55 and ‘swapped’ it for the 16-55 which is now kind of fixed to my camera.

I then swap to the 10-24 if I want Uber wide.

Personally I never loved the 18-55 and ‘swapped’ it for the 16-55 which is now kind of fixed to my camera.

I then swap to the 10-24 if I want Uber wide.

Considered that but as the 10-24 is fairly big, I would want a smaller lens as well, which the 16-55 definitely isn't.

I suppose I could consider the Samyang 12mm + 16-55 but then I have no stabilised lenses which I don't like the idea of!

S
Similar, but I may sell the 18-55 and use my 50mm f2 in its stead.

The legacy lens user never complain about lack of IS.
That was a silly comment of mine. You should switch IS off on a tripod.
As I said. ....get your technique right and it won't be a problem.

I think it partly depends what kind of travel/landscape you do. I find the 18-55 a very usable lens, and the 10-24 probably better, although I did manage to make it flare rather severely at times last weekend.

For me the strengths of zooms are that (i) you can't always stand where you'd like, and more importantly (ii) I don't like to change lenses on a windy beach (although I ended up doing it twice on Monday) and with primes I'd probably be doing it quite a lot.

But if you know you take a lot of landscape at (say) 14mm and have little need to go wider go for it. I have a 12mm Samyang I like a lot, but if I eventually acquire the 10-24, it'll be relegated to astro work only.

If you're not sure what you do, buy a zoom and find out what focal lengths you actually use. You can always sell it later!

I think it partly depends what kind of travel/landscape you do. I find the 18-55 a very usable lens, and the 10-24 probably better, although I did manage to make it flare rather severely at times last weekend.

For me the strengths of zooms are that (i) you can't always stand where you'd like, and more importantly (ii) I don't like to change lenses on a windy beach (although I ended up doing it twice on Monday) and with primes I'd probably be doing it quite a lot.

But if you know you take a lot of landscape at (say) 14mm and have little need to go wider go for it. I have a 12mm Samyang I like a lot, but if I eventually acquire the 10-24, it'll be relegated to astro work only.

If you're not sure what you do, buy a zoom and find out what focal lengths you actually use. You can always sell it later!

True. Yeah, I do like the versatility of a zoom I have to admit. On FF I was using the Sony 16-35mm and regularly used 16mm (10mm ish), 21mm (14mm ish), 24mm (16mm ish) and 35mm (23mm ish) - all those primes would cost an arm and a leg so 10-24mm is probably my best bet.

Wanting to buy a flash system for the XT1 and seen the Yongnuo and the triggers. Never used a flash system before so can anyone point me in the right direction for a decent tutorial? Can’t be as simple as attaching it and setting the power and then taking can it? How will it know the exposure?

Matt

Muppetry alert..

I put my X-T2, 18-55 and 10-24 in the Classifieds

Figured I wasn’t using it enough, reviewed some shots taken with it and withdrew it all from sale.

Looking forward to the Firmware update

Can anyone convince me that with the 100-400 it’s usable for Birds in flight.. @Jelster maybe..

Trevor, I think this shot does the whole combo justice... Taken with X-T2, Grip, 100-400 & 1.4TC @ 560mm wide open, 1600 ISO...

DSCF4029 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Or this one, shot on a hired lens (which convinced me to buy)

Again @ 560mm, wide open at 6400 ISO.

DSCF1281 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Last edited:
What bags/cases are you guys using for your kit?

I would like two different size bags. One for travelling light with just my X-T1 with kit lens attached and another which will give the a bit more space to carry body with one attached and one or two extra lenses, plus a few bits and bobs. I like bags that don't look like obvious camera equipment. I have had and sold a Domke F-5XB and may go for the same again, but wondered what else I might consider. I don't really want to spend more than the cost of the Domke, so although the likes of the ONA Bowery and may a small Billingham would do the job and are obviously top-notch quality, they are more than I want to fork out.

Trevor, I think this shot does the whole combo justice... Taken with X-T2, Grip, 100-400 & 1.4TC @ 560mm wide open, 1600 ISO...

DSCF4029 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Or this one, shot on a hired lens (which convinced me to buy)

Again @ 560mm, wide open at 6400 ISO.

DSCF1281 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Thanks Steve. They look very good.

I’ve been used to D500 and Siggy 150-600 (sadly sold after hitting financial pothole)

What’s it like for tracking birds in flight?

Were these hand held ?

Last edited:
What bags/cases are you guys using for your kit?

I would like two different size bags. One for travelling light with just my X-T1 with kit lens attached and another which will give the a bit more space to carry body with one attached and one or two extra lenses, plus a few bits and bobs. I like bags that don't look like obvious camera equipment. I have had and sold a Domke F-5XB and may go for the same again, but wondered what else I might consider. I don't really want to spend more than the cost of the Domke, so although the likes of the ONA Bowery and may a small Billingham would do the job and are obviously top-notch quality, they are more than I want to fork out.

The standard Fuji X bag is a good all-rounder. Can get the body and three lenses in it! Nothing bigger than the 55-200mm though.

Was out for a walk down at Portencross with my XT2 and 10-24,on the way back I watched the sunset over Arran and shot this on a gorilla pod sat on the rocks and 6 stop filter, just wish i had the 10 stop.I have overcooked the pic but like the effect.
arran-6.jpg

Thanks Steve. They look very good.

I’ve been used to D500 and Siggy 150-600 (sadly sold after hitting financial pothole)

What’s it like for tracking birds in flight?

Were these hand held ?

All handheld, only thing I've shot from my Tripod is the Moon (and now I have my scope for that!!). Alas, I'm not very good at BIF, I always lose the flight of the bird and then it's gone! :(

I didn't have any issues at any of the Motorsport events I've been at recently, tracking is fine even at very high speed (faster than your average bird, but bigger!!)

All handheld, only thing I've shot from my Tripod is the Moon (and now I have my scope for that!!). Alas, I'm not very good at BIF, I always lose the flight of the bird and then it's gone! :(

I didn't have any issues at any of the Motorsport events I've been at recently, tracking is fine even at very high speed (faster than your average bird, but bigger!!)

Thanks. Appreciate it.

Back