The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I tried out an 11mm extension tube for the first time today with the X-T2 and 18-55mm. I know I should have used a tripod and lower ISO but I was quite pleased with the result and looking forward to using it again in better conditions :)

Tulip Close-up
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

That’s a lovely Fujigraph Ma’am, with some good detail & colours.(y)

George.

A Shot of paisley anchor mill building i took a few weeks back
a well known landmark in my old home town was once a hive of industry.now its luxury apartments

FUJI XT2 / FUJI XF 10-24mm / IS0 200 / SS 15sec

Mill Town ( Explored 17/8/2013 ) by tam love, on Flickr

“Excellent” Fujigraph Sir, well composed, with good detail & a nice mono conversion giving a full range of punchy tones.(y)

George.

Just a simple close up Fujigraph taken outside Horse Guards in Whitehall London UK of part a Lifeguard on duty showing just part of his boot & stirrup.
I posted a copy of this snap in colour many moons ago and it was suggested that it would work in mono, so I've finally gotten round to it.:)

X-T1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/250th @ F4, ISO-200, Handheld.
On Parade (2)-8003 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.
great close up george .nice framing love the light on the boot ...makes for a great image

a well known landmark in my old home town was once a hive of industry.now its luxury apartments

Your low POV works really well here, and you've put the 10-24 to good use (y)

Hows this going for you?

Edit to remove the kiss at the end... Stupid muscle memory will get me in trouble!
LOL. Rather slowly, actually. Because it happened on a Sunday and I really need it fixed by the end of the month, I elected to just put in a request by web without phoning, and only resort to complaining if they wanted to charge me.

I also paid them a tenner to fast track it, which probably wasn't that smart, because I then had to delay their delivery of the packaging by a day so that someone would be home to receive it!

It having arrived yesterday, I packaged it all up and went out looking for my nearest DPD dropoff spot at lunchtime. The first was closed for lunch (argh) and the second, Sainsbury's, was unable to scan the barcode successfully or key in the right data to get the parcel on its way, and it wasn't for lack of trying either.

So since then I've been emailng DPD, who suggest taking it somewhere else tomorrow and trying again. This I will do, as my "local" DPD depot is in the region of Oundle, hardly a casual journey!

All in all, a bit of a saga :( Let's hope I get a result. I really don't like not having my camera. It's quite worrying how attached I am to it :D

Last edited:
great close up george .nice framing love the light on the boot ...makes for a great image

Thank you kindly Sir, I sure do appreciate you taking the time to reply & comment.(y)

George.

LOL. Rather slowly, actually. Because it happened on a Sunday and I really need it fixed by the end of the month, I elected to just put in a request by web without phoning, and only resort to complaining if they wanted to charge me.

I also paid them a tenner to fast track it, which probably wasn't that smart, because I then had to delay their delivery of the packaging by a day so that someone would be home to receive it!

It having arrived yesterday, I packaged it all up and went out looking for my nearest DPD dropoff spot at lunchtime. The first was closed for lunch (argh) and the second, Sainsbury's, was unable to scan the barcode successfully or key in the right data to get the parcel on its way, and it wasn't for lack of trying either.

So since then I've been emailng DPD, who suggest taking it somewhere else tomorrow and trying again. This I will do, as my "local" DPD depot is in the region of Oundle, hardly a casual journey!

All in all, a bit of a saga :( Let's hope I get a result. I really don't like not having my camera. It's quite worrying how attached I am to it :D
Heh, I had the same saga with the barcode... Went to a different sainsburys the following day, and they knew which number to type in and (most importantly) that they needed to leave off the last digit of that number.

Great shot. I lived in there for a short while a few years back. Lovely place and some excellent conversion work.

haha, all this reading about the new body just made me realise - Eternia, thats where He-Man is from :D

Heh, I had the same saga with the barcode... Went to a different sainsburys the following day, and they knew which number to type in and (most importantly) that they needed to leave off the last digit of that number.
Whoa, good tip! That's probably where they were going wrong. That and their scanner is old and probably defective. My wife has kindly offered to take it to Currys tomorrow, so I'll pass that tip along. Cheers!

Sort of "intimate landscape". I haven't taken one of these for a while. In fact, the last time I took one, it was probably on Kodachrome slide film! This one is with the Pentax 50mm 1.4, wide open on a Lens Turbo II. Opinions welcome...

Turbulence
by David Hallett, on Flickr

I recently found a stash of slides at work, all the old product photos... Many of them kodachrome.

Love looking at them, they have a certain something about them, a strange glow that you can't quite put your finger on...

Anyway... Nice photo, has an old feel to it. I'll be honest and say it's one of those photos only a photographer would appreciate - we like nice colours, tones, depth of field composition etc, I look at that photo and see all those things... I even thought "maybe bring the horizon down to a thirds line" but then reasoned that you got it right, it's a nice balance... But a layman would just say "it's a tree...".

I should try a lens turbo. I REALLY love the FOV and the amount of background compression (if that's the term) that a 50mm on a full frame gets. A 35mm on a crop gets the same FOV more or less, but the depth perception is off, making it feel more telephoto. The lens turbo seems to emulate it pretty well.

I haven't experienced much in the way of downsides to the LTII. The main issue is that there isn't a lot of room at all for the lens to extend backwards beyond the mounting point. So some wider lenses in particular will have trouble focusing to infinity, although you can shim the LTII mount to make the most of what you have. The cut-off seems to be around 50mm - some are OK, some aren't. Once you get much longer than 50mm, everything seems to be fine, at least that I've seen. Best to do your research before buying, however.

Does anybody fancy a get together in London one evening? A sort of TP Fuji shoot?

How well does the 100-400 take the 1.4x converter in terms of af and iq? Has anyone compared it to a sigma 150-600?

I ditched my 7D2 & 150-600 Sport for the Fuji set up. It took me a while to "learn" how the focus system works, but got there in the end. Here's a few of mine shot with the T2, 100-400, and the 1.4TC.

DSCF5273 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

DSCF4025 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

ducklings by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Just thinking back to the body size debate a page or two back, I find that while the body size is a factor it's nothing compared to the lenses.

Now I was going to roll out a couple of compares (I still will, but for fun) to prove my point until I remembered canon also have the EFS range that reduce size as they're just for crop, I grant you while often still very good they don't usually compare with the EF (or Fuji) lenses but for straight up size they really messed with my argument :)

http://camerasize.com/compact/#772.359,469.23,469.367,ha,t

Still the thing to remember is that Fuji lenses while the same sizes as the EFS range in general are quality wise in the EF range.

Still the thing to remember is that Fuji lenses while the same sizes as the EFS range in general are quality wise in the EF range.

I don't think that EF-S/EF represents any demarcation line for quality. They have good and less good in both and dare I suggest that even one or two or their L range are optically bettered by lenses in both of the lesser ranges if not in areas like build or weather sealing.

Just been looking at DP reviews at ISO tests on different cameras Raw and Jpeg.. The Fuji XT 2 seem to kill most cameras in Jpeg in all iso range.. Raw it not too bad..

Do many of you shoot in jpeg alone?

Just been looking at DP reviews at ISO tests on different cameras Raw and Jpeg.. The Fuji XT 2 seem to kill most cameras in Jpeg in all iso range.. Raw it not too bad..

I think it's thought by some that Fuji cook their files quite a bit and possibly use slightly different ISO values.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the exact settings cameras report and instead maybe it's best to look at the final picture and if pictures from camera A look better at ISO 3200 than pictures taken with camera B then that's what matters even if the reported settings are a little different.

I was surprised when shooting pictures of the family at home in the evening often at ISO 6400 that the xt1 was not as far off my old 6D as I thought it would be.

In terms of jpeg I usually shoot raw + jpeg but only end up keeping a few of the raw files that im not happy with the jpeg output. Im keeping many more jpegs than raw files though so could probably manage for everyday shooting just using jpegs. Anything more deliberate and I'd be shooting raw still.

I've just had a play with the new X-H1. It's certainly heavier and bigger in every respect than the T2. But it isn't as much of an increase as I'd expected. Doesn't appear to be anywhere near as big as the usual DSLR models. Main increase in size is in the hand grip area which is now quite substantial. Plus this is now further away from the lens; all this to accomodate the wizardry for IBIS.
Not sure I like the display on top of the body. Either dark grey on darkish silver or darkish silver on near black. Hard to read if, like me, you need reading glasses. Even in bright light it wasn't ideal, but then I never used those displays on the 5D models I had.
IBIS. Hmmm. In theory it works with every lens going. The system works out what IS the lens has, utilises that and then adds the extra up to the maximum. There are new lenses in the pipeline (don't ask where) that are supposed to be tailored just for this body. I did ask about legacy lenses and the guy went all cagey - as you'd expect. The camera needs communication with the lens to work out what IS is present. Legacy lenses don't talk to the camera. No hard information is available but it would appear that IBIS won't work. No tests appear to have been carried out - not surpising really as Fuji want to sell new stuff. No wonder he was being cagey!
The strong feeling is that this still remains a tool aimed at videographers. The X-T3 is rumored to be announced at Photokina with delivery approx 12 months from now. No other info as yet.
Fuji guy gave the impression that this was really aimed at a different market than the existing ranges and was possibly the start of a complete new range.
The X-H1 will cost £1700 without grip or lens with delivery in late March.
Will I be buying one? Highly unlikely.

Last edited:
How well does the 100-400 take the 1.4x converter in terms of af and iq? Has anyone compared it to a sigma 150-600?

In terms of IQ, it takes it very well and IMO cropped 1.4x images are nicer than straight 2x converted ones (as long as you don't need all the pixels.) Hard to compare the AF speed between the 2 options - pretty sure Sigma don't make the 150-600 in Fuji X mount and different bodies AF at different speeds with the same lens. IMO it's plenty fast enough - but I don't do BiF.

Guilty! Gives me all the quality I need and reduces PP time to zero on most shots unless I want to resize or crop to a very specific framing for prints.

Back