The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Regards the X-T3, think I'd leave looking at one until the dust settles til around next spring onwards and focus (excuse the pun) on quality Fooji glass.

The XF90mm f/2 excites me.........a lot, it would suit my style of photography.

The Fujinon 90mm f2.0 is an amazing lens, I still miss mine! :)

I had the XT2 and in your shoes I cannot see such a significant improvement to move to the XT3. If it had IBIS then yes definitely I would get it.

The XT3 is geared up for action and events. The XT2 wasn’t bad by any means at tracking, just not as good as some other cameras.

I would definitely get glass which you can use when you do upgrade.

Thanks all. Guess it’s only a tough decision because of the trade in bonus. The X-T3 will never be as cheap as it will be in the first month due to that.

Glass makes more sense I guess and I do still have some learning to do with the X-T2.

Another thing I want to start is some YouTube film reviews or maybe demoing some of my guitar gear (maybe if I hadn’t have spend money on a ‘58 reissue Les Paul I’d Have money for lenses!) and I’ve heard the Face AF can’t be relied on with the X-T2 and that the face/eye is MUCH better on the X-T3. In some of the previews I’ve seen them use it and it does focus very well in this regard.

I had the XT2 and in your shoes I cannot see such a significant improvement to move to the XT3. If it had IBIS then yes definitely I would get it.

The XT3 is geared up for action and events. The XT2 wasn’t bad by any means at tracking, just not as good as some other cameras.

I would definitely get glass which you can use when you do upgrade.
That's interesting as when it was first launched I saw so many reviews stating how it matched DSLR etc, was it a case of the emperors new clothes then?

That's interesting as when it was first launched I saw so many reviews stating how it matched DSLR etc, was it a case of the emperors new clothes then?

There is nothing 'wrong' with the X-T2 tracking, but its now 2 year old technology, and the world moves on, if the X-T3 has a much faster processor, then it is likely to be better at tracking (just as a later DSLR will be better at tracking than an older one).

Maybe it improved after the updates but I used it for tracking animals like tigers and it wasn't too bad at all.

Outside of sports and fast moving wildlife, like BIF, what do we really need insane tracking for? I had the X-T1, which was way behind the X-T2 in terms of fast AF, and never found it wanting.

Outside of sports and fast moving wildlife, like BIF, what do we really need insane tracking for? I had the X-T1, which was way behind the X-T2 in terms of fast AF, and never found it wanting.
But that's exactly what these AF systems are for :confused:

Maybe it improved after the updates but I used it for tracking animals like tigers and it wasn't too bad at all.

Previous Fuji tracking never quite matched the Best pro DSLR level. but it was far better than average DSLR offerings.
Each iteration sees them improving and, right now, no doubt the XT3 is as good as it gets for a mirrorless APS., and would arguably equal top flight DSLR's.
This is as it should be for any company that is continuously improving its technology.
With Fuji you know that they will also upgrade their firmware on existing models with in the limitations of the hardware, so even existing owners are never left far behind. which adds to the confidence of new owners.

But that's exactly what these AF systems are for :confused:

I know that smart ass, but how many of us here actually shoot sports and fast wildlife? outside of the odd casual occasion? The AF on the X-T1 was plenty good enough a few years back, now we 'need' much faster? Did ducks get an upgrade booster recently?

I know that smart ass, but how many of us here actually shoot sports and fast wildlife? outside of the odd casual occasion? The AF on the X-T1 was plenty good enough a few years back, now we 'need' much faster? Did ducks get an upgrade booster recently?
Me :p

New GFX 50r specs have been released....maybe I should cancel the XT3 order?

I'm not sure which to choose from when I'm ready (?), the XF90mm f2 or the XF80mm macro f2.8 OIS
If you don’t have IBIS I’d go for the 80mm. Otherwise the 90 plus a tube, assuming macro isn’t your main interest.

Maybe a dumb question, but still toying with the idea of an X-T3. With that in mind, I contacted WEX as on their website they have listed an extra £200 trade in allowance for any working CSC/DSLR before the 30th September.

They have come back with a quote on my EM1 MK 1 and HLD7 Grip (which is in mint condition and I've not used for a year since getting the MK2), and whilst it's not great (not disastrous though), coupled with the additional £200 it starts to possibly make it worthwhile. Trouble is when you follow the links onto Fuji's website, the only promotions i can see are -

• Claim up to £175.00 on selected Fujifilm X series cameras and lenses
  • £450 trade in bonus on the Fuji GFX50s

I can't see anything about £200 additional trade in allowance on the X-T3's ?

Also, how would this work, as I guess all of WEX's initial X-T3 allowance is already spoken for, so assuming they couldn't' actually supply me with a camera until say October / November, how (or if) could you then claim the trade in bonus ? Don't fully understand how these work ?

Unfortunately, when your primary subject is wildlife, things like focus acquisition, focus tracking, and FPS really do matter. I make do with the T2, but as they say, every little helps.

Maybe a dumb question, but still toying with the idea of an X-T3. With that in mind, I contacted WEX as on their website they have listed an extra £200 trade in allowance for any working CSC/DSLR before the 30th September.

They have come back with a quote on my EM1 MK 1 and HLD7 Grip (which is in mint condition and I've not used for a year since getting the MK2), and whilst it's not great (not disastrous though), coupled with the additional £200 it starts to possibly make it worthwhile. Trouble is when you follow the links onto Fuji's website, the only promotions i can see are -

Also, how would this work, as I guess all of WEX's initial X-T3 allowance is already spoken for, so assuming they couldn't' actually supply me with a camera until say October / November, how (or if) could you then claim the trade in bonus ? Don't fully understand how these work ?
Sometimes (ie, the recent £200 off the X-H1) the dealers deducts the promotion amount from the invoice directly, other times you have to claim. Best to speak to the dealer for clarification.

It should go live once the camera is released to stores on this link
https://www.fujifilm.eu/uk/products/digital-cameras/promotions

They will add it to this page once it's actually available to buy.
https://fujifilm-promotions.com/gb/en/pages/promotion

Call WEX and ask about stock, I know Jessops will match WEX on the trade in and will not inspect your camera as thoroughly if you go into a store with it.

Last edited:
I ve never had any issues with mine at tracking fast moving subjects. I would say it is way better than my Nikon D800 at tracking fast moving subjects but then again I wasn't expecting that from my D800.

Thanks for all the help guys.

I am going to keep the X-T2, already a fabulous camera, and I’m now on the look out for the best prime I can get for £500, probably the 35mm F2

This actually gives me a good upgrade path as I’ll either go for the X-H2 when it’s eventually released as IBIS will be amazing for me, OR I’ll get the X-T3 when it comes down in price a bit, keeping my T2 for a second camera, which will help loads in my video shoots.

Cheers all.

Thanks for all the help guys.

I am going to keep the X-T2, already a fabulous camera, and I’m now on the look out for the best prime I can get for £500, probably the 35mm F2

This actually gives me a good upgrade path as I’ll either go for the X-H2 when it’s eventually released as IBIS will be amazing for me, OR I’ll get the X-T3 when it comes down in price a bit, keeping my T2 for a second camera, which will help loads in my video shoots.

Cheers all.
Just wondering if you should go for a focal length outside that of your excellent 18-55? Depends on what you shoot, but if you’re very lucky you might get a used 10-24 within budget.

There is a lot to be said for a small, weather sealed prime, even within the range of a kit lens - I know I'll be getting the 23f2 or 35f2 next!

I'm pleased with this first picture of my little boy from my X-T2, although I guess my 5D would have made the background blurrier so the messy room would have been hidden...

Posing for Daddy’s new camera
by Lewis Craik, on Flickr

Show me Flickrs :D Show me something you shot recently that couldn't be done using the X-T2
Well that's a different thing, I would say (based on the reviews I've seen) that the XT2 does have a damn good AF system and is good for tracking and I would have been able to get all my sports and wildlife shots on the XT2. As Jelster pointed out though, every little helps (y)

But that wasn't your initial question :p

Unfortunately, when your primary subject is wildlife, things like focus acquisition, focus tracking, and FPS really do matter. I make do with the T2, but as they say, every little helps.
^^^ this. Clever tracking helps make up for my own inadequacies :LOL:

Just wondering if you should go for a focal length outside that of your excellent 18-55? Depends on what you shoot, but if you’re very lucky you might get a used 10-24 within budget.

Good question. I would say that video is my primary function of the camera because that’s the only thing that helps me professionally (as said previously, as an aspiring screenwriter, creating short videos with actors to set a scene/showcase dialogue is become increasingly important). I don’t exactly burn through pages though so I probably only need this function 3-4 times yearly.

Most of its actual use is at social events I’m invited to, such as wedddings, birthdays etc and holidays. I do occasionally take it out locally or to London for some street style photography.

I’d want the prime for better DOF and low light performance. However your point about a wider zoom such as the 10-24 would provide me with the chance of better landscapes when setting my scenes in video and of course for holiday snaps. I’m guessing that lens has OIS too, which again would be great for my video shoots. Funnily enough my friend has tasked me with shooting a demo reel for his band (I took audio engineering at University so will be engineeering the tracks too) so that lens would also be useful there.

Hard decision - if I had the money I’d get all of the lenses! Haha

Good question. I would say that video is my primary function of the camera because that’s the only thing that helps me professionally (as said previously, as an aspiring screenwriter, creating short videos with actors to set a scene/showcase dialogue is become increasingly important). I don’t exactly burn through pages though so I probably only need this function 3-4 times yearly.

Most of its actual use is at social events I’m invited to, such as wedddings, birthdays etc and holidays. I do occasionally take it out locally or to London for some street style photography.

I’d want the prime for better DOF and low light performance. However your point about a wider zoom such as the 10-24 would provide me with the chance of better landscapes when setting my scenes in video and of course for holiday snaps. I’m guessing that lens has OIS too, which again would be great for my video shoots. Funnily enough my friend has tasked me with shooting a demo reel for his band (I took audio engineering at University so will be engineeering the tracks too) so that lens would also be useful there.

Hard decision - if I had the money I’d get all of the lenses! Haha

You'll have to push the budget by £50-£100 but the XF16mm F1.4 might meet all your requirements, giving you a slightly wider option, and low light capability. It also has the capability of focusing close and has amazing IQ (one of the sharpest Fuji primes). Its also WR

There are a few s/h at dealers at around £600, and you might be lucky and find a private sale one for less.

Is it possible to use a 24hr clock, rather than am/pm, e.g. 15:35 instead of 3:35pm?

Should canikon be worried about Fuji nevermind sony?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNh8ZnDNHcA

for Crop sensor i think so!

This guy has a point!

What a time to be in photography. i cant remember a time where there was more then just canikon to choose a really good camera now, be in FF or crop.

The likes of fuji, panasonic and Olympus have all stepped up in the mirrorless arena so its not just Sony that Canikon need to compete with!!

If i was going into a CROP sensor system i would definetly choose fuji ahead of canikon

I am sooo tempted by that xt3 as a mess around camera

If i went CROP again it would be without hesitation a Fuji and probably a XT-3 :D

This guy has a point!

What a time to be in photography. i cant remember a time where there was more then just canikon to choose a really good camera now, be in FF or crop.

The likes of fuji, panasonic and Olympus have all stepped up in the mirrorless arena so its not just Sony that Canikon need to compete with!!

If i was going into a CROP sensor system i would definetly choose fuji ahead of canikon

Fuji’s are hard to look past for sure. I still don’t think the ergonomics of the XT series are right for use with larger lenses though and think the XH series are better in this regards. The XH2 should be a belter (y)

This guy has a point!

Hold that thought :rolleyes:

This guy has a point!

If you are happy with crop sensor and want mirrorless than Fuji is a no brainer. Great cameras and excellent glass.

Just reading the XT-3 early reviews and specs. Im interested in how the new sensor performs over the old one. Really tempted to upgrade.

One issue that really buggs me about my X-T2 is the RAW performence of X-Trans in lightroom. I know the RAW files need managing in a different way but even with this some shots, especially woodland scenes werent as pleasing to look at as my old Canon 70D. The XT-3 raw files arent viable with Adobe until they bring out an update apparently.

Interested to see if this performs any differnt with Lightroom/Photoshop or whether its just the same.

Anyone know how long Adobe usually takes to update the raw converter for a new sensor?

Back