The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Do you have a problem Ian?
I've loads of problems! None revolve around a photography forum or Fuji's cash back offers though.

If you want to buy, fill yer boots. If you think it's a rip off, don't. Easy peasy.

I've loads of problems! None revolve around a photography forum or Fuji's cash back offers though.

If you want to buy, fill yer boots. If you think it's a rip off, don't. Easy peasy.

Why are you getting involved and making it a problem then? You aren't interested in the discussion.

Last edited:
Why are you getting involved and making it your problem then?
Don't get your knickers in a....well, twist.

It's been a long day for me tbh, but really I'm just tired of seeing posts from members who'll argue the most pointless of 'issues' or even look for or create problems to discuss about the latest Fuji or non-Fuji models / offers.

Stop moaning and get involved in positive discussions or y'know, go take photos?

Goodnight all.

Don't get your knickers in a....well, twist.

It's been a long day for me tbh, but really I'm just tired of seeing posts from members who'll argue the most pointless of 'issues' or even look for or create problems to discuss about the latest Fuji or non-Fuji models / offers.

Stop moaning and get involved in positive discussions or y'know, go take photos?

Goodnight all.

It seems you are the one getting upset more than anyone else and creating negativity. If you are tired, don't read or respond and get involved. I just find it odd how retailers (not just with fuji) slam prices up before cashback.

Stop getting involved or y'know go take some photos ;)

Goodnight

Last edited:
Rent a car (I can point you at a place that does reasonable rates!) and head down to Agia Galini for a night or 2 - NOTHING between you and North Africa apart from the occasional fishing boat!
Thanks! Maybe next year... :)

Don't dismiss the Fuji 14mm, as this is very sharp, compact, and takes the same size filters/hood as your existing 18-55mm.

I have the Samyang 12mm (its the second one I've owned, I really didn't rate my first copy), but it rarely comes out of the bag, I much prefer my Fuji 16mm wherever possible.

Well sure, it's a great lens and that 14mm focal length is great, but you remember how he said the 10-24mm was out of his price range? :)

I have the 12mm and it's a nice lens if you get a good copy. Not really clear how likely or unlikely you are to get a bad one. But it seems to me to be if anything a bit wide for architecture, never mind the 10mm. You're going to get a lot of non-parallel lines...

But I don't really do architecture, only landscape. Since I acquired the 10-24mm, the 12mm has come out less, and I seldom go to 10 or 11 with the zoom. But occasionally...

My 10c would be to get the 12mm and give it a try. If you don't like it, I doubt it will be hard to sell on again.

Roll up, roll up, cashback deals being announced tomorrow (remember Black Friday often provides additional cashback), some of these are so good, that I think we might see some retail prices go back up, so you might be onto a winner if you buy straight away, but I'm not being quoted on that!!!

£45 23mmF2, 35mmF2, 50mm F2, 35mmF1.4, 60mm, 18mm

£90 23mmF1.4, 56mm, 18-55mm, 18-135mm, 55-200mm

£135 16mmF1.4, 80mm Macro, 56mmAPD, 90mm, 10-24

£180 50-140mm, 16-55mm

£270 100-400mm

and £250 on an X-T2, anyone who manages to get a X-T2 at today's best price of £979 and get the cashhsback will do very well, but note that most retailers on camerapricebuster have already put the X-T2 back up to £1249!!!

Other bodies £230 on X-H1, £230 on X-Pro2, £90 on X-T20

(X100F - £180, X-E3 +18-15 bundle £180, X-T100+15-45 bundle £90)

Remember these will only apply to a authorised UK stockist, and not grey suppliers - purchases made between 10/10/18 and 10/1/19

Always fancied a X100F...... thinking

I'm going to be adding a long'ish Fuji zoom at some stage soon, the two contenders I'm looking closely at are the XF100-400mm and the XF50-140mm, both have their advantages etc, the extra reach would be beneficial but the faster lens is nice also........decisions decisions....

I'll be adding a Fuji 1.4X teleconverter also. Either of these lenses will be used with the X-H1 body.

Any experience/advice/thoughts appreciated. Thank you. Any sample photo's would be appreciated, cheers.

Peter

I use all 3. The 50-140 is a peach in it’s own right. The 100-400 is pretty good too and with an effective reach of 600mm in FF terms surprisingly agile. The 1.4x barely reduces IQ quality on either lens (unlike the 2x which was just too rough IMO).

If I was going to have one I’d go for the 50-140 as I’d use it more often and the 1.4x gives some extra reach. Clearly not as far as 100-400 but you must be able to get decent crops off the H?

I guess it depends what you’re taking pics of though!

Reactions: Nod
I'm going to be adding a long'ish Fuji zoom at some stage soon, the two contenders I'm looking closely at are the XF100-400mm and the XF50-140mm, both have their advantages etc, the extra reach would be beneficial but the faster lens is nice also........decisions decisions....

I'll be adding a Fuji 1.4X teleconverter also. Either of these lenses will be used with the X-H1 body.

Any experience/advice/thoughts appreciated. Thank you. Any sample photo's would be appreciated, cheers.

Peter
50-140 is fantastic and very versatile, I often have it on the H1 for an entire day and just adjust my feet as required, in fact I hate taking it off. Plenty of examples on my flickr with the H1.

50-140 is fantastic and very versatile, I often have it on the H1 for an entire day and just adjust my feet as required, in fact I hate taking it off. Plenty of examples on my flickr with the H1.

Pete, can you post a link to your Flickr? I have the 50-140 and I need inspiration.

Is anyone using an extended eyecup on the X-T3? I had one (bought ages ago) on the X-T1, and can't for the life of me remember which part it was. All suggestions welcome.

I assume it takest he same one as the T1/T2 - I have the proper Fuji one on my T1 and a JJC copy one on my T2. I can't see any difference between them, both better than the standard offering. I'd quite like to try the teardrop shaped one.

The 10mm is a multi sensor mount lens fitted with a Fuji X mount, its big and heavy comapred with the APS-C designed 12mm, which is re-reassuringly light!!!

The Samyangs do render colours differently to the Fuji lenses, and since they are wide suffer from a certain degree of optical distortion. Don't dismiss the Fuji 14mm, as this is very sharp, compact, and takes the same size filters/hood as your existing 18-55mm.

I have the Samyang 12mm (its the second one I've owned, I really didn't rate my first copy), but it rarely comes out of the bag, I much prefer my Fuji 16mm wherever possible.
I hadn't realised that about the 10mm, all lenses look about the same size when browsing a list on an online shop. :LOL:
The 14mm/16mm might be options for a future upgrade, but right now I can't justify those prices.

Well sure, it's a great lens and that 14mm focal length is great, but you remember how he said the 10-24mm was out of his price range? :)

I have the 12mm and it's a nice lens if you get a good copy. Not really clear how likely or unlikely you are to get a bad one. But it seems to me to be if anything a bit wide for architecture, never mind the 10mm. You're going to get a lot of non-parallel lines...

But I don't really do architecture, only landscape. Since I acquired the 10-24mm, the 12mm has come out less, and I seldom go to 10 or 11 with the zoom. But occasionally...

My 10c would be to get the 12mm and give it a try. If you don't like it, I doubt it will be hard to sell on again.

I hadn't really considered distortion, I could fix in post I guess but that may bring the usable image area closer to what I already have. I guess the other solution would be to stick with what I have and learn how to do stitched panoramas for the occasions when just standing further away isn't an option.

Peter

Are you using an old typewriter to post? :LOL: What are you planning to shoot? I would only go for the 100-400 over the 50-140 if I planned to shoot a lot of distance wildlife I would imagine the 50-140 would be sharper, better in low light and more useful for general shooting.

On the cash-back deals and price hikes - surely the best option for anyone considering an XT2 now [like me!] is to buy used, "mint" from a reliable UK dealer? Because the re-sale value will be the same pretty much. Atm a 9+ condition X-T2 from Wex can be had for a little over £600 with the current 10% off

Last edited:

Peter

I have both, for things like wildlife and airshows, the 100-400 is brilliant, a bit slow with the 1.4TC (f6.3 I think) but as the T2 shoots fine @ ISO3200 it's not a big issue. The 50-140 is as good as my old Canon 70-200 f2.8 L Mk2, it is a stonking bit of kit, and came into its own yesterday at a wedding.... Haven't tried it with the 1.4, but as I have the 100-400, I don't really need to.

Both shot on a T2 body with the 50-140:

Wedding_5
by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Wedding_6 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

I'll sort some 100-400 images for you too...

Last edited:
As you can see, they are both excellent lenses, so you really need to think what focal length or speed you are going to need, or just buy both :D

Indeed I have, and I'm well out of practice, as you can see. I will be working on that today to tone it down somewhat.

Just out of interest what colour space have you uploaded these in? In post they look fine but when enlarged on my phone they turn grey!

After sleeping on my thoughts regarding a long'ish Fuji lens, either the 50-140mm or 100-400mm I think the 50-140mm would be more versatile for my style of photography, I probably don't need the longer reach as I don't do birding/wildlife and the slightly faster f/2.8 would suit better for my dog portraiture and landscape photography.

After sleeping on my thoughts regarding a long'ish Fuji lens, either the 50-140mm or 100-400mm I think the 50-140mm would be more versatile for my style of photography, I probably don't need the longer reach as I don't do birding/wildlife and the slightly faster f/2.8 would suit better for my dog portraiture and landscape photography.

You can always add a TC for a bit more length

Just out of interest what colour space have you uploaded these in? In post they look fine but when enlarged on my phone they turn grey!

WHatever LR does as standard. These are from the original RAW, into LR, resized & borders put on in PS.

For those subjects, I think that's a wise decision...

I've been trying out a lot of legacy glass recently and am having great fun. I took a Pentax 50mm f2 lens out with my X-T2 today hoping for some autumnal images but found little of note. We were sitting outside a lovely country pub having lunch when we were inundated with bikers - easily 100 bikes and all was noise and chaos. So I ended up photographing the bikes. This is one I lusted after in the early 60s - a Velocette Venom.

Velocette Venom by Andrew R, on Flickr

I've been trying out a lot of legacy glass recently and am having great fun. I took a Pentax 50mm f2 lens out with my X-T2 today hoping for some autumnal images but found little of note. We were sitting outside a lovely country pub having lunch when we were inundated with bikers - easily 100 bikes and all was noise and chaos. So I ended up photographing the bikes. This is one I lusted after in the early 60s - a Velocette Venom.

Velocette Venom by Andrew R, on Flickr
Nice shot - I’m looking to try a couple of legacy lenses myself, which version of the Pentax 50mm are you using please? Also could you recommend any other legacy lenses that are worth buying, landscape, portrait and long range options would be useful to me so any info would be appreciated.

Nice shot - I’m looking to try a couple of legacy lenses myself, which version of the Pentax 50mm are you using please? Also could you recommend any other legacy lenses that are worth buying, landscape, portrait and long range options would be useful to me so any info would be appreciated.

I've tried
Vivitar 55mm f2.8 macro by Komine - fabulous lens
Vivitar 135mm f2.8
Pentax 135mm f3.5
Pentax 50mm f2 (used in the Velocette shot)
Helios 58mm f2 - unique bokeh

I've not paid more than £30 for any of them and all are great fun

Last edited:
I've tried
Vivitar 55mm f2.8 macro by Komine - fabulous lens
Vivitar 135mm f2.8
Pentax 135mm f3.5
Pentax 50mm f2 (used in the Velocette shot)
Helios 58mm f2 - unique bokeh

I've not paid more than £30 for any of them and all are great fun
I love the Pentax 50mm f1.7, and the Oly 100mm.

The Minolta Rokkor 58mm 1.4 is supposedly a great lens, especially for portraits. If you're willing to chance it from Japan via ebay you can get them for about £50, from UK sellers expect to pay anything between £70 - £130 depending on the condition. The Minolta to Fuji adapters can be had anywhere between £6 - £20

For long range, I owned a Pentax Super Takumar 200mm F4 for a while and it was pretty decent, even wide open. Again, unless you buy from Japan and wait a bit and hope to avoid customs, expect to pay about £70. I used this lens on the Fuji X-T1 and had some fun with it

How it looked on the XT1:

takumar.jpg

It's actually really neat for a 200 F4, the adapter makes it look a fair bit longer, but a very easy to hand-hold lens

Last edited:
I love the Pentax 50mm f1.7, and the Oly 100mm.
Agreed, and a good copy of the Takumar 55mm 1.9 or 2.0 is also a very nice lens for no money.

My best manual lens is probably the Nikon 105mm 2.5, which is magic, but those aren't quite as cheap.

Last edited:
Agreed, and a good copy of the Takumar 55mm 1.9 or 2.0 is also a very nice lens for no money.

My best manual lens is probably the Nikon 105mm 2.5, which is magic, but those aren't quite as cheap.

Those 105mm 2.5mm Nikkor units are “Excellent” Sir, I’ve had one from new and still use it from time to time on my Fooj cameras. Very sharp at all apertures with good contrast & nice bokeh.(y)

George.

Back