The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

On the subject of Fuji and other cameras, I so very nearly bought a 5D mkIV a few weeks ago but I keep putting it off as my XT3 continues to fascinate me. I noticed that the DR difference between the two is pretty negligible ( can this be true? Apparently so ) and as this was the major factor I was interested in, I'm not sure I'll bother.

I'm not bashing or trolling as I love Canon as well as Fuji, but the main advantage for landscape for me ( not finding worms an issue ) was DR

Last edited:
Just a simple candid street style Fujigraph taken at Trafalgar Square London UK of a very talented Pavement Artist.
I'm also working on a personal project called Faceless and this will be one of the shots included.

X-T2, 18-55mm Lens, 1/340th @ F8, ISO-200, Handheld.
Pavement Artist (3)-03162 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.
Very nice George, do you use Acros or another B&W simulation ?

Very nice George, do you use Acros or another B&W simulation ?

Thank you fellow snapper, I sure do appreciate your reply.(y)

"All my snaps are shot in RAW then converted to DNG, all PP is done in LR & PS manually without any simulations whatsoever either in colour or mono"

George.

On the subject of Fuji and other cameras, I so very nearly bought a 5D mkIV a few weeks ago but I keep putting it off as my XT3 continues to fascinate me. I noticed that the DR difference between the two is pretty negligible ( can this be true? Apparently so ) and as this was the major factor I was interested in, I'm not sure I'll bother.

I'm not bashing or trolling as I love Canon as well as Fuji, but the main advantage for landscape for me ( not finding worms an issue ) was DR

There isn't as much difference between Fuji APS-C from a DR point of view and Canon as there is say a Nikon D850 - Canon have long suffered to an extent with a narrower DR than Sony/Nikon cameras - how noticeable it is in reality I don't know.

Personally I don't find the DR on the Fuji's to be all that great and firmly believe that a FF sensor (Canon, Sony or Nikon) would give more scope in Post Production.

There isn't as much difference between Fuji APS-C from a DR point of view and Canon as there is say a Nikon D850 - Canon have long suffered to an extent with a narrower DR than Sony/Nikon cameras - how noticeable it is in reality I don't know.

Personally I don't find the DR on the Fuji's to be all that great and firmly believe that a FF sensor (Canon, Sony or Nikon) would give more scope in Post Production.

Received wisdom would suggest so but this fellow shows differently

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYf7t9lzslQ

Look at 19.56 onwards where he compares the XT2, D500 and 5Div

Also have a look here:

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon EOS 5D Mark IV,FujiFilm X-T2,FujiFilm X-T3

Last edited:
Speaking purely for myself, there comes a point when I have to ask myself what exactly I need all this dynamic range *for*.

I know there are legitimate applications, but for the kind of pictures I take, while I'm grateful for the improvement over some older sensors, it's very seldom I feel the need to blend exposures even with the humble X-T10.

I am watching with interest to see how cheap an X-T2 will get in the Black Friday sales, given Fuji's rather nice cashback offer, but it's not because I'm itching for more DR. Mostly I just like the idea of a screen that tilts in portrait mode :).

Last edited:
Speaking purely for myself, there comes a point when I have to ask myself what exactly I need all this dynamic range *for*.

I know there are legitimate applications, but for the kind of pictures I take, while I'm grateful for the improvement over some older sensors, it's very seldom I feel the need to blend exposures even with the humble X-T10.

I am watching with interest to see how cheap an X-T2 will get in the Black Friday sales, given Fuji's rather nice cashback offer, but it's not because I'm itching for more DR. Mostly I just like the idea of a screen that tilts in portrait mode :).

I agree. DR is the new black in photo circles. It was however, the only real difference I could imagine being in any way relevant for landscapes between the Canon and Fuji and therefore the only reason I'd considered adding a FF Canon go my arsenal. The D850 has some more at base ISO and people sing and dance about it, but I wouldn't switch to Nikon just for 0.8 of a stop DR at 50 ISO! After that the difference is irrelvant

Here you go. No biggie really

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon EOS 5D Mark IV,FujiFilm X-T3,Nikon D850

Fuji does pretty well :)

And re the screen. It's odd how you get used to it. I never thought I'd care but now I love it :)

Last edited:
Here’s me thinking you’re a dedicated Filmie. Nice one Carl.

I've hardly used my digital camera in the last two years, but recently I took it out for sunset at the coast and remembered how much fun it is. Then I had a go at taking some photos of red squirrels with X-T1 with the 100-400 and was really impressed and thought, I need one of these! :D

Just a simple tourist type Fujigraph taken at Folkestone Kent UK of the seafront and East Cliff from the newly refurbished Harbour Arm.

X-T1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/1100th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld.
Folkestone Sea Front (2)-03260 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

Last edited:
love the tones and clarity it has the effect of using a red/orange filter.
It bring out the chalk cliffs very well. which can easily be lost in muddy grey.

love the tones and clarity it has the effect of using a red/orange filter.
It bring out the chalk cliffs very well. which can easily be lost in muddy grey.

Thank you fellow snapper, I sure do appreciate your reply.(y)

George.

I've come home to a nice parcel tonight, it contained a 56mm 1.2R and 100-400 :) I'm hoping to get some shots done on Sunday to test these out.

Kewl. You’re gonna love the 56

Kewl. You’re gonna love the 56

I'm sure i will, the 85mm 1.2L ii was my favourite Canon lens, so I am hoping this is similar. Do you have a filter on yours?

I'm sure i will, the 85mm 1.2L ii was my favourite Canon lens, so I am hoping this is similar. Do you have a filter on yours?

I need to qualify. Always used them when I shot equestrian. Too much crap in the air.

Now that I don’t do that anymore I figured I’d use the lenses as designed.
Not had any damage or reason to fit them now.

The Xt3 is actually pretty decent for DR considering its APSC... at least from ISO200 onwards.

Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 18.37.18.png

Last edited:
I generally prefer to be on the beach at low tide, or getting low. But the whole week I was in Pembrokeshire, low tide was in the middle of the day, more or less. So, swirling water it is then...

Taken at Marloes Sands, a place I highly recommend if you're in that area. With the 10-24 mm, which hardly left my camera all week. And possibly a polariser, I can't quite recall.

(edited to get my highs and lows straight!)

Incoming tide IV
by David Hallett, on Flickr

Last edited:
And possibly a polariser, I can't quite recall

I don't think so - at 18mm, I'd expect to see uneven polarisation in the sky (and if you'd removed it in PP, I think you'd have remembered the extra effort!)

I generally prefer to be on the beach at low tide, or getting low. But the whole week I was in Pembrokeshire, high tide was in the middle of the day, more or less. So, swirling water it is then...

Taken at Marloes Sands, a place I highly recommend if you're in that area. With the 10-24 mm, which hardly left my camera all week. And possibly a polariser, I can't quite recall.

Incoming tide IV
Great colours, and nice to see life in the water.

I generally prefer to be on the beach at low tide, or getting low. But the whole week I was in Pembrokeshire, high tide was in the middle of the day, more or less. So, swirling water it is then...

Incoming tide IV
Very nice, some other great shots from there on your Flickr. These shots with the 10-24 isn't helping with me not wanting to buy more lenses....

I don't think so - at 18mm, I'd expect to see uneven polarisation in the sky (and if you'd removed it in PP, I think you'd have remembered the extra effort!)

Yeah, I think you're probably right. I used one a fair bit the next day, but probably not here.

Great colours, and nice to see life in the water.

Cheers Stephen! I did try a few shots on this location with a long exposure, but wasn't that taken with the results.

Very nice, some other great shots from there on your Flickr. These shots with the 10-24 isn't helping with me not wanting to buy more lenses....

Ha! Thanks! Well it's a great lens. I don't use it much away from beaches, but if you need a wide-angle zoom for landscape work, it's ideal in many ways.

One fro earlier in the week at Hampstead Heath
Kenwood III by Ian, on Flickr

Probably needs a person on the bridge but it was so cold nobody was hanging around posing.

I took this at about the same time and place but at a 90 degree angle to the bridge shot (and with a Sony a7...)
Kenwood I by Ian, on Flickr

Last edited:
One fro earlier in the week at Hampstead Heath
Kenwood III by Ian, on Flickr

Probably needs a person on the bridge but it was so cold nobody was hanging around posing.

I took this at about the same time and place but at a 90 degree angle to the bridge shot (and with a Sony a7...)
Kenwood I by Ian, on Flickr

Is the Sony an itch that needed to be scratched ?
Did you have to do much pp ?

Is the Sony an itch that needed to be scratched ?
Did you have to do much pp ?
It doesn't take much to tempt me to buy a new camera but I have two shift lenses that don't work well on the Fuji crop sensor so I wanted to try the full frame. I don't like the ergonomics of sony cameras but I like the pics.

More or less same pp on both shots here - simple adjustments in lightroom then my normal multi-filter combo in Color Efex Pro.

My AD600BM will not fire in HSS with my Fuji XT-3 and Good Xpro F trigger, does anyone have any ideas why?

It will fire fine at 1/250 and below, but above that it won't work. HSS shows on the flash, and also on the camera. For some reason the on camera setting shows TTL and won't set to manual, it just flicks back to TTL.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Rick

Back