The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Spot on. I've no interest in upgrading bodies at all and still use the X100F and X-T2 with the rest all being glass (Only 3 lenses).

I do wonder if the Q2 would be able to replace them all mind you!

The only problem with the Q is the weight, when you compare it to an X100F, its like nearly twice the weight, yes it would withstand nuclear attack, but for a carry all camera it does make a difference.

@Dave70D @Ian W

@Dave70D my advice is after buying the 56mm, stop buying gear, use the money you would spend on gear on photographic adventures (I'd even consider selling the extra X-T3, unless you are going down the paid gig/wedding front), the X-T3+56mm plus X100F make an ideal combo for pub gig photography.

The XF56mm WILL be my last buy, then if I can get in to getting paid gigs I will keep both the X-T3s and 100% keep the X100F I would keep all three cameras as I have a wedding next year to shoot. If the gigs work for promo shoots does not take off then I might actually think about just having one X-T3 and the X100F.

I have been thinking of getting a X100f but have the 23mm f1.4 does anyone regularly use both? Or have you simply replaced the 23mm f1.4 with the X100?
I had an X100F but never used it once I bought my XT3.

I have been thinking of getting a X100f but have the 23mm f1.4 does anyone regularly use both? Or have you simply replaced the 23mm f1.4 with the X100?
I don't have the 23mm, but have zero intention of buying it because of the X100F. When size and weight matter, it's just perfect.

Thanks guys for the positive comments. This is the Lexicon Building, part of a set of new developments in Islington near where I work. A bunch of skyscrapers are going up, some pretty boring, some quite funky. This one is in a very tight corner between a main road and a canal basin so is very pointy at one end, a little like the old Flatiron Building in NYC. I picked a dreadful day to try and take a photo, the wind was ferocious and it was pouring down, not ideal for trying to shoot a tall building. The raw file is just shades of grey but some strange filters in Lr livened it up. I'm looking for a ten-stop filter that fits my 10-24mm (ad in the wanted section...) as I think this would work well with streaky skies.

Some help please guys.....bought a new XT3 in January, not had chance to put it through its paces really, but yesterday I've noticed That the IS doesn't seem to work, 2 different lenses, all settings checked, pre af off etc, have a constant noise from both the 18-55 and 55-200 when camera is just sat doing nothing.

Its as if IS is on constantly as theres no difference to the image, it seems quite stable all the time, with no change when IS turned on and off.
I've reset and reinstalled the firmware.....

Looks like a faulty body....any ideas please?

Cheers

Darrin

Some help please guys.....bought a new XT3 in January, not had chance to put it through its paces really, but yesterday I've noticed That the IS doesn't seem to work, 2 different lenses, all settings checked, pre af off etc, have a constant noise from both the 18-55 and 55-200 when camera is just sat doing nothing.

Its as if IS is on constantly as theres no difference to the image, it seems quite stable all the time, with no change when IS turned on and off.
I've reset and reinstalled the firmware.....

Looks like a faulty body....any ideas please?

Cheers

Darrin
It's fine, just a characteristic of Fuji OIS. I'd be more worried if they weren't stable at all.

What bothers me is when on a tripod, don't really want IS then, and if it's on when it shouldn't be, is it performing as it should?
Wish there was someone else in Cornwall where I could compare

What bothers me is when on a tripod, don't really want IS then, and if it's on when it shouldn't be, is it performing as it should?

You should be able to notice the difference especially when the lens is zoomed out. You will notice it more if you concentrate on a single object and move the camera slightly.
With the IS on it should tend to hold the image steady. with it off you will notice the slightest movement.
If the problem persists Phone the Fuji repair department. If it need sorting they will send you a return box ....asap

Last edited:
Because you can hear something doesn't mean it's operational. As I said, they do make a noise irrespective of where the switch is.

I understand that yes, but there should be a huge difference at 200mm with IS on and off...

I like that, apart from the shadow underneath the bowl which looks wrong to me based on the other shadows. Great colours in the strawberries :)

Thanks Rick
It was lit from the side, on a glass desk (reflection), so all as is, so to speak, but I can see where you`re coming from.

Not if the shots you're comparing are both sharp, surely?

Well no, at 200mm just looking at the LCD with IS off, the displayed image will be fairly shakey, without taking a shot, when its on, its supposed to kinda clamp down on the image if you know what I mean. Went out this afternoon and it seems that maybe the IS isn't working at all instead of being on all the time, either way, something isn't right me thinks......
Call to Fuji on Monday should reveal more....

It's maybe set to only on when focussing so would require a half press on shutter to engage?

It's maybe set to only on when focussing so would require a half press on shutter to engage?
Been through all settings, tried constant and shooting only....... maybe I might find someone close by that also has an XT3 to compare,,,

The problem with lots of Fuji bodies, is the depreciation, when the X-T4 is announced, an X-T3 will be approx £650 trade in, a few months later is will be £400, so in just over two years the camera body will be less than 30% of its new price (I went down this road earlier in my X series journey), IMO better to invest in glass - but I do understand the convenience of not having to swap lenses. But that sort of investment would have me looking at the Leica Q2, as this has 28/35/50/75 mm modes, and even in 50mm its still generating a 15MP file.

This is one of the key factors i am holding off moving to Fuji.

The depreciation seems far worse than Nikon. I bought my D750 back in Oct 2014 for £1,235. Looking at eBay, i should be able to get at least £700 for it now, on a good day possibly a bit more, like £750. Not bad for four and half years of owning it. Its a current model which helps I guess. The XT-1 was released about 6 months before the D750 yet on the Fuji refurb store is just £299. The XT-3 is appealing but £1k on refurb now and we will have the XT-4 within 18 months!

This is one of the key factors i am holding off moving to Fuji.

The depreciation seems far worse than Nikon. I bought my D750 back in Oct 2014 for £1,235. Looking at eBay, i should be able to get at least £700 for it now, on a good day possibly a bit more, like £750. Not bad for four and half years of owning it. Its a current model which helps I guess. The XT-1 was released about 6 months before the D750 yet on the Fuji refurb store is just £299. The XT-3 is appealing but £1k on refurb now and we will have the XT-4 within 18 months!

This is not just a fuji thing but more of a mirrorless thing it seems. Sony a7 was about £1600 when released in 2013 I think and now selling less than £400 mint.

Depreciation of almost any tech nowadays seems crazy. Camera wise, I think all the companies are playing chase; no different to phones. If they all got together and sat back for a couple of years, people would buy more glass anyway, instead of having a "do I wait for the new release or buy now" mentality. After the Nikon D750 debacle of being hit with two recalls, I flirted with a D810 for a while, and now have moved to an T2, which I`m really happy with. Most of what I shoot is static, so I don`t need a T3, and have never shot video. I know if an when I sell/trade it will lose money, but that seems a part of life.

Of course I have both!!! and my wife has the 23mm F2, essentially in lens IQ you get what you pay for, but thats not what the X100F is all about. I love the 23mmF1.4 and won't part with it (unless I move away from X mount ILC - and I have got a GFX50S on loan at the moment!!), but it would take a lot to part with X100F. I think this shows in that fact that I still have my original X100, I've never benn able to part with it!!

Of course I have both!!! and my wife has the 23mm F2, essentially in lens IQ you get what you pay for, but thats not what the X100F is all about. I love the 23mmF1.4 and won't part with it (unless I move away from X mount ILC - and I have got a GFX50S on loan at the moment!!), but it would take a lot to part with X100F. I think this shows in that fact that I still have my original X100, I've never benn able to part with it!!

Lol I wondered how long it would be before the GFX50 turned up in your hands.
Been shooting a lot with primes since coming back and do like the 23mm f1.4, I did pick up a XF10 as a portable camera a few weeks back and beside the lack of a Evf it’s a lovely little camera.
That got me thinking about the X100...

Been shooting a lot with primes since coming back and do like the 23mm f1.4, I did pick up a XF10 as a portable camera a few weeks back and beside the lack of a Evf it’s a lovely little camera.
You really wouldn't regret it. If I had to get rid of everything but one, it'd be the X100F that stays.

Don’t say that it won’t help my bank balance [emoji15]. Although i see if you went grey a new one is less than £ 800 [emoji848]
Exactly. One just went in the classifieds for £825 including both teleconverters. I've used my X-T2 around 20% of the time I need a camera now, the rest of the time I have the X100F in my pocket.

That tiltable EVF is a thing of beauty, every home should have one. It was very very windy in Snowdonia yestyerday, forcing us to shoot at higher ISO's than ideal even for a tripod mounted GFX50S+GF32-64!!! When out of the wind the deatil obtained at base ISO is just staggering, but the files are huge, and even more so when you do a 4 shot pano!!! The other thing is that the files seem to barely need touching in post, when it comes together right in camera.

I'll post these here as the GFX thread is very very quiet!!

MRAVzBTh.jpg

eECB1fr.jpg

Last edited:
Exactly. One just went in the classifieds for £825 including both teleconverters. I've used my X-T2 around 20% of the time I need a camera now, the rest of the time I have the X100F in my pocket.

I saw that one to late otherwise I would have given in to the temptation, I seem to be shooting a lot of Street stuff these days actually I will rephrase that I seem to be trying to shoot a lot of street stuff these days[emoji3] and the X100F would be rather nice.

I saw that one to late otherwise I would have given in to the temptation, I seem to be shooting a lot of Street stuff these days actually I will rephrase that I seem to be trying to shoot a lot of street stuff these days[emoji3] and the X100F would be rather nice.

Well I guess you know what the most important questions is. Black or silver?

They look very nice, how are you finding the weight?

Well yesterday I had GFX50S + GF32-64 + X-T2+ 16mm + 18-55mm + 90mm +X100F plus Manfrotto 055, it was just about bearable, we walked over 25k steps and probably did about 2000ft of height gain. I'm going back next week, thinking of just taking the GFX and leaving the X-T2 at home.

I think if I did go GFX50S I would only want to carry about one lens. The main issue though is that you really need to be working at F16 so if you want ultimate IQ it really is a tripod based event, especially when working a dull light (like yesterday). It was exceptionally windy and often we needed a higher ISO than ideal even on a tripod in an attempt to get something sharp and even that didn't always work.

I've got it for a week, so probably best to give a full answer in a week's time!

@yamahatdm900 4 shot pano -130Mb image!!

190309 Dinorwic Pano
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back