The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I've been enjoying my Fuji X-T20 for 12 months now after downsizing from a Nikon D7200, it's fun to use, light and the image quality it produces still surprise me.

In the 12 months I've owned a Fuji, I've taken more photos than I had taken in two years with the D7200.

I've been shooting with the XF 18-55 kit lens now on it's own since I got the camera but I do sometimes wish I had something a bit longer.

I know there is a few XF telephoto zooms available but I won't use it often enough to justify spending more than a couple of hundred pounds on a lens, so I'm looking at getting a second hand XC 55-230, they're going for less than £150 on ebay at the moment, I've read a few reviews but I'm not interested in charts and figures, do any of you have any experience of using the XC 55-230?

Thanks!

I recently sold my XF55-200 and bought an XC 50-230 mk2. It's much lighter (good) and for me perfectly adequate IQ. I've gone 'lightweight' and am not regretting it at all - I have now just the X-E3 with an X-T10 as backup for traveling. You may want to look at eglobal central as they are selling new XC50-230 for about £138. I bought mine (and other lenses) from them and had no problems.

Atm I'm using a Canon 55-250 on an AF adapter, and though it's also a cracker of a lens for the cheap price I've been thinking on getting the 50-230 as I am missing some shots because of hunting AF now and then. The Canon was just useful as I also adapt it to my G80 so it's cool that it works on both my current cameras. But I think I'll be better off with the Fuji one. I'd probably pay the bit extra for the mkII, I believe it has a stop better OIS which is important to me.

Bought an X-t3, just wondering what size and make filters Fuji owners are issuing, stepping from Nikon full frame, I have 100mm hitech filters, they are a bit oversize for most Fuji lens threads.

I'm using 100mm Lee filters on mine. I believe you can get away with the smaller size, but I like the 100mm on my 10-24 with the wide angle adaptor.

my polariser for the 85mm format hitec standard holder vignets at 10-14mm so worth sticking with the 100mm size. annoyingly it wasnt until after id got the 85mm holder and polariser that they brought out the new style holder that may be better

I'm using 100mm Lee filters on mine. I believe you can get away with the smaller size, but I like the 100mm on my 10-24 with the wide angle adaptor.
Thanks for that, got so many it would be a shame not to utilise them.

my polariser for the 85mm format hitec standard holder vignets at 10-14mm so worth sticking with the 100mm size. annoyingly it wasnt until after id got the 85mm holder and polariser that they brought out the new style holder that may be better
Thanks for that, got so many it would be a shame not to utilise them.

Two from Ambleside last week.

Ambleside by Adam P, on Flickr

Ambleside Waterhead with Princess of the Lake at the jetty.

Bridge House - Ambleside by Adam P, on Flickr

Bridge House, it's HDR but I don't think I've over done it...

Strange, when I had my previous DSLR, every shot was taken with the view finder, since moving to Fuji, 90% of the time I've used the rear LCD screen.

I find that when shooting landscapes, the screen often allows you to get a lower POV than with the viewfinder. With a bad back, and dodgy knees, getting a low POV via the viewfinder is almost impossible for me. I also often use it when doing macro, especially in the garden....

I find that when shooting landscapes, the screen often allows you to get a lower POV than with the viewfinder. With a bad back, and dodgy knees, getting a low POV via the viewfinder is almost impossible for me. I also often use it when doing macro, especially in the garden....

I use the LCD much more these days than I used to. The old 'OVF is much better' idea doesn't apply so much now as you get the same responsiveness from your LCD, and with tilting ones there is advantages - I would agree there, another bad-back sufferer over here! I use it for macro too, you can't always get your head right into a bush to get that ladybird :D also it's a must for low to ground shooting. The evf is still essential though for really bright days, or for composing most images at standing eye level - it is more immersive, and sometimes clearer [the XH1 evf for example is higher res than it's LCD]

Last edited:

this is why the tiltable EVF option of the GFX 50S is a thing of wonder. It would be great if more systems had this option.

Well well well......i never thought I would be drawn back to this group but after a sabbatical and much toe dipping with Sony, Olympus, Nikon and Sony again - I think my true desire still rests with Fuji.

I'm 40 next month and the wife has agreed I can get a camera. The XT3 plus lens is out of reach budget wise but was thinking an XT2 plus lens would be do-able.

Albeit a few years old I presume the XT2 is still a good performing camera and doesn't lose out on much to its younger sibling?

Well well well......i never thought I would be drawn back to this group but after a sabbatical and much toe dipping with Sony, Olympus, Nikon and Sony again - I think my true desire still rests with Fuji.

I'm 40 next month and the wife has agreed I can get a camera. The XT3 plus lens is out of reach budget wise but was thinking an XT2 plus lens would be do-able.

Albeit a few years old I presume the XT2 is still a good performing camera and doesn't lose out on much to its younger sibling?

There's great deals on XT2 packages if you look around, almost bought one myself [just had my mind set on a H1] To me, it's still a very relevant camera today. The XT3 has better AF and video features but besides, the XT2 does pretty much the same job.

Nowt wrong with an X-T2

I just bought one and I'm very happy! If you can find them, prices are often very good right now.

And I concur with all the comments about the LCD. The two-way tilting on the X-T2 is particularly handy. I also think that, by making me more aware of the edges of the frame, the LCD helps me compose better, but YMMV, naturally.

its a standard retail trait now, allows the retailer to sell at full price and make the margin they need but allows the customer to get a discount. Allows the manufacturer to shift stock. win all round.

Garden centres are starting to see it from big brand companies.

Not seen even a hint of a deal on the X-T30 yet. looks like they even have a supply problem trying to keep up with demand.

I would imagine the best time to buy new gear will be after the Summer. There will be more announcements and in the run up to Christmas more and better deals. of course if you were planning to buy now either way these cash back deals are always nice.

Having trouble with Capture One Fuji, cannot find the means to open a session, is it available on this version, or do we have to subscribe to the full version.
Have attached screen grab of my screen display.

Screenshot 2019-05-15 at 18.41.27 by Andrew Wright, on Flickr

Having trouble with Capture One Fuji, cannot find the means to open a session, is it available on this version, or do we have to subscribe to the full version.
Have attached screen grab of my screen display.

I have sorted this problem now, it was all down to not being tight, and paying for a subscription. If i get on OK over the next few weeks, will buy the program, its cheaper in the long run.

Screenshot 2019-05-15 at 18.41.27 by Andrew Wright, on Flickr

After buying the X-T3 last week (damn the new cashback offers this week....lol), managed to get out and get a couple of shots with it.
Overall it feels a really nice improvement to my old X-T1 - controls have a really nice quality feel and i like the JPEG's. Simple photo, but here's one I took last night at Elvaston Castle near Derby.

DSCF0063.jpg by James Cotter, on Flickr

I seem to be going through another B&W phase:-

Chesapeake Mill Cafe by Andrew R, on Flickr

Chesapeake Mill is a watermill in Wickham, Hampshire. The flour mill was constructed in 1820 using the timbers of HMS Chesapeake, which had previously been the United States Navy frigate USS Chesapeake.

Great, and I love the commentary

I'd spotted I could line up one arch with another and was just messing with the composition a bit when this young woman decided to come and stand in the doorway.

Mildly irritating, but then I realised she was right, and it was a more interesting picture with her in it! :D

Corpus Christi, Cambridge, 35mm f/2 on the X-T2

Updating
by David Hallett, on Flickr

New member here - ex Nikon, now fully Fuji. Very impressed with quality of your pics. Can someone enlighten me as to how to post images? Many thanks.

Back