The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Affinity Photo is getting a massive update 1.7.0 on both Mac and Windows.

iPad too!

And very good the update is too on both Windows & iPad. On the windows version I've found that there's a few things in different places and on my unit it seems to be running a bit slower but neither of these things are a problem.

George.

And very good the update is too on both Windows & iPad. On the windows version I've found that there's a few things in different places and on my unit it seems to be running a bit slower but neither of these things are a problem.

George.

I’m back trying to use Affinity Designer which is also updated to 1.7... can’t find anything on the iPad version!

Both great, but love that first one, I think that the small "still" pool in the foreground really makes it, as it's not blurred....

Thanks, Just got some A2 Fotospeed Platinum Baryta paper for my printer :)

I really need to get some prints done, it's been too long! Got some bare walls need feeding here. In our old house I had a bunch of prints of mine on the walls but snce we moved here [3yrs] I've been very lazy about that, think there's a bunch rolled in a tube in the garage

I've just got 3 of my "Purple Flowers" series ready for print, but I've been told to wait until we move.....

On the subject of prints, I was given a token by a mate on facebook for a free 30 x 20 canvas from mypicture.co.uk. It came today, quality isn't anything to write home about, but was worth it for the £5.00 carriage. So we now have a picture of the Bunny that recently died.

Really love printing my work, makes it all feel worth it.

I took delivery of my 10-24 yesterday, I'm hoping to find time to try a couple of shots with it over the weekend, though I won't have a chance to go anywhere other than around my house / garden. It certainly feels a quality piece of kit...

I took delivery of my 10-24 yesterday, I'm hoping to find time to try a couple of shots with it over the weekend, though I won't have a chance to go anywhere other than around my house / garden. It certainly feels a quality piece of kit...

Congrat's that's a positive "RESULT", superb lens, "ENJOY".

George

Constantly surprised how far I can push Fuji raw files, the below photo was taken in terrible lighting at ISO 1200 hand held.

If this had been taken with my previous Nikon DSLR, I think I would have given up and binned the file...

RH&DR No 7 Typhoon by Adam P, on Flickr

Fuji are pretty decent I find up to 3200, even 6400 can be very usable if exposed correctly to begin with

Constantly surprised how far I can push Fuji raw files, the below photo was taken in terrible lighting at ISO 1200 hand held.

If this had been taken with my previous Nikon DSLR, I think I would have given up and binned the file...

RH&DR No 7 Typhoon by Adam P, on Flickr

Don't know what Nikon you had but I find quite the opposite. Much as I love the Fuji X system (currently X-T3, previously X-T2 and X-T20) the DR and high ISO ability doesn't come close to my old NIkon D800.

Lovely image btw.

The best iso to get a keeper for me was 25,600.

I've always tried to keep as low as poss, but when I used to shoot gigs I would hit 10K ISO easily - bit of grain can suit those kind of images. Not so much wildlife where noise can start to effect the texture of fur/feathers etc. But yeah, image depending, these sensors are very capable of delivering at higher levels

Don't know what Nikon you had but I find quite the opposite. Much as I love the Fuji X system (currently X-T3, previously X-T2 and X-T20) the DR and high ISO ability doesn't come close to my old NIkon D800.

Lovely image btw.

I agree entirely - I've got a X-H1 and X-T3, but the high ISO performance of my Nikon D500 is fantastic.

Lovely image btw.

The last Nikon I had was the D7200, don't get me wrong, the D7200 was a very capable camera but I seem to be getting more keepers from the X-T20, the images the Fuji produce all seem to me, to be cleaner.

@Malfis... Malcolm, do you mostly use non stabilised lenses on the H1 or a mixture of both.

Lovely image btw.

I had the D800E and it was very, very good at higher ISO - but it is also one of the better cameras overall for this, not just Vs Fuji APSC. it's better than the Canon EOS R for example, and even most other Nikon cameras. Fuji are right up there in ISO performance with any of the Nikon APSC offerings, full frame will always be better, at least more recent models.

I agree entirely - I've got a X-H1 and X-T3, but the high ISO performance of my Nikon D500 is fantastic.

Not doubting your personal experience with these cameras but the Fuji cameras shouldn't be far behind a D500 at all

Does anyone use a soft shutter release button on their xt3? I got one today but notice it makes the shutter button seem a bit more wobbly plus I’m paranoid about over tightening it!

Does anyone use a soft shutter release button on their xt3? I got one today but notice it makes the shutter button seem a bit more wobbly plus I’m paranoid about over tightening it!

I have a red one on my X-T3, so it might be the little rubber washer as when I check to see it`s still on it does move a bit.

I had the D800E and it was very, very good at higher ISO - but it is also one of the better cameras overall for this, not just Vs Fuji APSC. it's better than the Canon EOS R for example, and even most other Nikon cameras. Fuji are right up there in ISO performance with any of the Nikon APSC offerings, full frame will always be better, at least more recent models.

Not doubting your personal experience with these cameras but the Fuji cameras shouldn't be far behind a D500 at all

I agree - my Fujis are fine (I think the X-H1 is marginally better than the X-T3), but not quite as good as the D500.

@Malfis... Malcolm, do you mostly use non stabilised lenses on the H1 or a mixture of both.

I use both.
The non OIS lenses I use are the 16, 23 and 35mm primes, plus a variety of legacy lenses - mainly 3 Super Multi Coated Takumars and a Carl Zeiss Flektogon, all of them M42 fitting. I rarely use these lenses with the X-T3.

Yeah, got a red one on my X-T20, it feels really nice to use but I know what you mean about it being a bit wobbly, it has a habbit of coming loose too.

First random shot, just to make sure the lens worked... be ready for many more :)

DSCF2498 by rick phillips, on Flickr

@Malfis. Malcolm, My plan is to mainly use the 10-24mm, 50-140mm & 100-400mm on my X-T3 and the 23mm, 35mm, 56mm, 90mm and the 16-55mm on the X-H1. Obviously slight changes will be tweaked dependant on results.

I have a red one on my X-T3, so it might be the little rubber washer as when I check to see it`s still on it does move a bit.

Yeh the one I bought has a rubber washer. The thing that got me when tightening it was it turning the camera on. I took that as I had tightened it enough!! First camera I’ve paid this much for so as you might imagine hoping I don’t break it!

@Malfis. Malcolm, My plan is to mainly use the 10-24mm, 50-140mm & 100-400mm on my X-T3 and the 23mm, 35mm, 56mm, 90mm and the 16-55mm on the X-H1. Obviously slight changes will be tweaked dependant on results.

How do you manage having so many lenses? If I have more than 3-4 lenses I get a bit irritable, because I feel like i should be making use of them all. When truth is, I really only need 2-3 at most.

How do you manage having so many lenses? If I have more than 3-4 lenses I get a bit irritable, because I feel like i should be making use of them all. When truth is, I really only need 2-3 at most.

That's a question I keep asking myself! It only leads to confusion.
I need to have a sale!

Had a CC trip down to Hastings yesterday, and got absolutely battered by the wind (made Dungeness seem mild) ... Anyway, I managed to get something at least ;)

Angry Sea by Paulie-W, on Flickr

Splash by Paulie-W, on Flickr

Two “Excellent” Fujigraphs, and very nicely presented in mono.

George.

Guys, I have a small hankering for a 55-200. How is it at the long end, does the sharpness drop off that much? It won`t get used that much, but sometimes I feel I could do with something a lottle longer (oooh err) ;)
Any thoughts would help (y)

Guys, I have a small hankering for a 55-200. How is it at the long end, does the sharpness drop off that much? It won`t get used that much, but sometimes I feel I could do with something a lottle longer (oooh err) ;)
Any thoughts would help (y)

This Egret is at the 200mm end and cropped which I think is still nicely detailed. The 55-200 is one of my favourite lens, nice and sharp from 55 through to 200...…...not like my 100-400, but that's another story grrr!
Egret.JPG

This Egret is at the 200mm end and cropped which I think is still nicely detailed. The 55-200 is one of my favourite lens, nice and sharp from 55 through to 200...…...not like my 100-400, but that's another story grrr!
View attachment 247249

Cheers mate.
How heavy a crop is it?

Back