Fuji x100/S/T/F Owners Thread

Got tempted yesterday. Saw a (what I think was) ex display X100S for a smidge over £500. The wife dragged me away! Although whilst pondering a Pentax rep was trying to sell my a Ricoh GR and trying bloody hard!

I've owned a XF 35mm f/1.4 for quite a while and can say the build quality is superb, It's probably my favourite lens of the four Fuji primes I own, it produces excellent colours and rendering. LOVE it!
I'll have to try a brand new version, instead of looking at the second hand copy I've seen.. Although, I'm still leaning strongly towards trading in for an X100T

Loved my X100, this is around a 100% crop of the right edge, taken with my old X100 a while ago. Sharp as a tack all over at f5.

Last edited:
Whatsmore, on eBay, you can pick up a set of HOYA 49mm screw in filters for £21 - this includes a UV, ND8, CPL and a cool little pouch to hold them in.

Quick question - these will fit my plain X100 won't they?

Had my first full day using the camera yesterday when we went to Harry Potter Studios in London.

All these images are straight out of the camera.

SOOC
by Tom Cash, on Flickr

The light conditions weren't great, but the camera performed really well!

MZLSmkC.jpg

9wfT9El.jpg

Used the flash from time to time and the camera just dealt with it so well!

Oh, and I took one of the family dog...

sUvkYBL.jpg

As I said, all SOOC.

Last edited:
Anyone had a problem with the power button on the X100S? Had mine 4 weeks from the Fuji refurb store and now can't turn it off unless I take the battery out! It's obviously under warranty but I'm disappointed to say the least?

It is these Fuji build issues that make me wary on investing in more Fuji gear. My current XF1 has already been in once and having more issues with it.

I've got the XT-1 and have had no problems. I can't imagine that there's an inherent problem with Fuji kit given the popularity of it. New Nikon FF DSLR's haven't exactly been without their issues. Oh well, it'll go back for repair so I'll see what happens!

What bags are people using for the x100 range. Probably one that would hold the camera and not much more.

What bags are people using for the x100 range. Probably one that would hold the camera and not much more.

Nothing. Got a small camera because it's small. No point making it bigger with a bag. Especially if you just want a bag that fits the camera alone - what's the point in that?

Chuck it over your shoulder, and if it gets in the way while you're doing something, stick it in your pocket. (y)

Anyone upgrade from the X100S to the X100T? Worth the upgrade? I have the XT-1and like the user interface and the classic chrome simulation not to mention the wifi feature as it allows me to travel with the camera and iPad and access my images directly. I can get an X100T with 12 month warranty for £809.

Anyone upgrade from the X100S to the X100T? Worth the upgrade? I have the XT-1and like the user interface and the classic chrome simulation not to mention the wifi feature as it allows me to travel with the camera and iPad and access my images directly. I can get an X100T with 12 month warranty for £809.

Sort of... Had an X100 a couple of years ago and got an S earlier this year from Fuji refurb but sent back after a few days as I really thought the T would be better - and it was!

CC is nice, but for me its the speed of it - AF seems quicker, the camera seems snappier to use - the fact the Q menu and the buttons are customisable makes a big difference to me. screen being bigger is a nice addition - just generally an all round better camera. Of course, there is room for improvements but they are small nice to haves. For me its like the Nikon D700 was when I got it, pretty much perfect whereas with the 100 (and the S to a degree) it was good but could have been better.

If you can afford it, T - hands down.

Who uses a soft shutter release button... and how do u keep it in place! Bought a cheapish one but find it can unscrew very easily... do more expensive ones stay in better?

I had the same problem with the button, gently used a pair of soft grip pliers to tighten the button, so far so good.

Who uses a soft shutter release button... and how do u keep it in place! Bought a cheapish one but find it can unscrew very easily... do more expensive ones stay in better?

I bought one from eBay, haven't had any issue with it working loose. Shall I find a link for you?

I've a couple of match technical expensive ones that haven't come loose at all. I lost a few eBay cheapies but a small blob of bail polish on the thread when I attached it has kept the last one in place. Not sure what will happen when I try to remove it mind.

Ok, I've been shooting using both the X-Pro1 and X-E 1 bodies for over a year now and love them, but recently been looking at buying either the X100 or X100S and not sure what the 'S' gives more than the standard model ?

Any ideas/knowledge/experience from X100 Guru's here please ? Advice most welcome.

Thank you;
Peter
Central Scotland

Hi all,

New to this forum

I'm selling my Nikon D7000 due to not using it much these days. I find that it's just too bulky and weighty to carry with me most of the time....

As a result I've found myself missing photography which I used to love doing - the reason why I updated to a D7000....but these days with a 4 year old I find that I leave the bulk at home...which is a shame.

So I'm looking to replace it with a great compact. I've done some research and read reviews etc. and love the sound, look and results that the Fuji X100 gives. I mean some of the images look amazing! And it fulfils my smaller, lightweight requirement.

I also like the fact it is 35mm fixed lens as I'd like to improve my composition work and reckon this will help!

Question is, how would you rate this camera today? With it's updated V2.1 firmware I believe most, if not all, niggles, have been ironed out. From what I've read, most people reckon the upgrade to X100s isn't really worth the extra money - and indeed, some people reckon the older sensor actually gives better results - I'd guess the latter is a matter of personal preference (?) -

What do you think? Any experience with the X100? Is there anything new that betters it for about the same cost...you can pick a decent one up these days for around £350-£400 - saw a MINT black limited edition one for £500 (very tempted)!!! Would you go for the X100s even though it's a bit more, ~£550....

All comments appreicated....hopefully sell my camera this week and look to purchase next weekend - so looking forward to getting back into photography.

Hi again,

Having just learnt about the SAB issue on the x100 I'm not so certain about this camera as a 2nd hand purchase.....or for that matter at all!

Anyone know how prevalent this issue is on the X100s? And if there anything one can do to resolve the issue? How much does Fuji charge to fix the issue as I'm thinking one should probably add that cost into the equation if buying the camera: new or otherwise!

Thanks

Hi all,

New to this forum

I'm selling my Nikon D7000 due to not using it much these days. I find that it's just too bulky and weighty to carry with me most of the time....

As a result I've found myself missing photography which I used to love doing - the reason why I updated to a D7000....but these days with a 4 year old I find that I leave the bulk at home...which is a shame.

So I'm looking to replace it with a great compact. I've done some research and read reviews etc. and love the sound, look and results that the Fuji X100 gives. I mean some of the images look amazing! And it fulfils my smaller, lightweight requirement.

I also like the fact it is 35mm fixed lens as I'd like to improve my composition work and reckon this will help!

Question is, how would you rate this camera today? With it's updated V2.1 firmware I believe most, if not all, niggles, have been ironed out. From what I've read, most people reckon the upgrade to X100s isn't really worth the extra money - and indeed, some people reckon the older sensor actually gives better results - I'd guess the latter is a matter of personal preference (?) -

What do you think? Any experience with the X100? Is there anything new that betters it for about the same cost...you can pick a decent one up these days for around £350-£400 - saw a MINT black limited edition one for £500 (very tempted)!!! Would you go for the X100s even though it's a bit more, ~£550....

All comments appreicated....hopefully sell my camera this week and look to purchase next weekend - so looking forward to getting back into photography.

Had all 3 versions of this (the s was only for a week). I loved the original but the af was just not as quick as it needed to be with a 5yo and 3yo at the time. Great camera but I would miss so many shots especially anything moving or at the park etc... After a while I realised I wanted another so got an s but that went back after a week as I was craving the t. The s seemed better, a bit snappier, but still not 100%. The t is fantastic though. Not used it much but while it will never match a dslr I was surprised how many keepers I got at the park including on swings. Something the 100'wouldnt have done. If u have a 4yo I would think carefully before losing the dslr.

Had all 3 versions of this (the s was only for a week). I loved the original but the af was just not as quick as it needed to be with a 5yo and 3yo at the time. Great camera but I would miss so many shots especially anything moving or at the park etc... After a while I realised I wanted another so got an s but that went back after a week as I was craving the t. The s seemed better, a bit snappier, but still not 100%. The t is fantastic though. Not used it much but while it will never match a dslr I was surprised how many keepers I got at the park including on swings. Something the 100'wouldnt have done. If u have a 4yo I would think carefully before losing the dslr.

It is comments like this that make me hesitant to completely ditch my DSLR. I have a young baby and something like the X100/S/T would be ideal to have capturing her growth but not to the extent where shots are being missed due to fast moving action. Have you got any examples of the X100T in action @cambsno ?

Well I had my first outing with the X100T today (having upgraded from my EPL5) - really impressed with the quality although its going to take some getting used to...

The speed that this camera takes a shot is that quick im finding myself questionning did it actually take a shot or not.. lol I think im going to have to switch back on shutter sounds and the preview image option to get back my sanity! :D

Anyway here's a couple of my shots from today (y)

Bad Back Sculpture - Ray Lonsdale by XFile2708, on Flickr

Orme The Viking Sculpture - Middlesbrough by XFile2708, on Flickr

Last edited:
It is comments like this that make me hesitant to completely ditch my DSLR. I have a young baby and something like the X100/S/T would be ideal to have capturing her growth but not to the extent where shots are being missed due to fast moving action. Have you got any examples of the X100T in action @cambsno ?
Not yet put them on the laptop. The T is far better than the others at faster moving action, A DSLR will always be better though but haven't played enough to see how much.

One problem I did have with the x100T yesterday was because of the strong sunlight I was getting a lot of underexposed images - im assuming this is because of the metering (I was using the default Multi setting)?

Thankfully I shoot in RAW so was able to bring everything back without any problems...

I was shooting in P Mode and chose the Auto 2 for iso which sets an ISO range from 200 to 1600.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so what have you done to resolve it?

Would using Exposure Compensation have resolved it in P Mode or should I have dropped the auto iso setting and manually set it to something like 800?

Here's an example image - as you can see the background is exposed acceptably, however the foreground is underexposed and needed lifting in LR..

Marcus, looks as though the camera has simply metered for the majority of the scene; the building and the sky, as that's the case I'd expect the foreground statues to be dark, only option with the conditions would be HDR or as you say lifting the shadows in post. Raising the ISO or exposure compensation would have just given you an overexposed sky with the statues exposed correctly, 6 of one, half a dozen of the other :)

Adam

Thanks Adam - wasn't sure if it was something I was doing wrong or a setting somewhere that needing changing. On that basis I'll carry on as I am using the multi metering and just recover in LR where needed (y)

Thanks Adam - wasn't sure if it was something I was doing wrong or a setting somewhere that needing changing. On that basis I'll carry on as I am using the multi metering and just recover in LR where needed (y)

Marcus, If you increase the dynamic range setting in the camera a bit it should help take care of the high contrast in shots like this by increasing shadow detail and cutting back a bit on the highlights. All it really does is compress the tones a bit but it can work quite well with difficult contrasty lighting.

Hope this helps.,

George.

Back