Fuji x100/S/T/F Owners Thread

So the digital teleconverter option allows you to change focal length to 50mm and 70mm equivalents (in jpeg). So that's 3 different focal lengths out of the box before considering the wide angle converter.

I'm so tempted. Although once I've forked out for the wide converter it'll be around £1500..

I'm so tempted. Although once I've forked out for the wide converter it'll be around £1500..

That's a lot of £££ when you can get the X-Pro2/ XT-2/ XT-20 for similar money. :D

They are different tools for different jobs, my X100 (classic) looks tiny compared with my X-T2+XF23mm F1.4, and weighs less than half the weight. I took it out on SAturday and was amazed at how light it felt, and it reminded me why I have switched from DSLRs in the first place. 4 years ago my kit bag was X100 + WCL + spare batteries + filters + CF tripod and the whole lot weighed about 1.5kg!!!! Even with the X-T2, as soon as I start adding lenses to my bag it gets quite a bit heavier!

I have a 'test and try' day with the X100F tomorrow, and I must admit I'm tempted, the X100F+WCL makes a great lightweight prospect, the only thing putting me off (at the moment) is the quality of the lens, its already soft towards the edges at wide apertures, will this be exaggerated with a higher pixel count sensor?? But since I shoot at mainly F8 this shouldn't be a problem, but once seen (cannot be unseen) and all that :D

For me it certainly wouldn't replace my X-T2 setup but live alongside.

They are different tools for different jobs, my X100 (classic) looks tiny compared with my X-T2+XF23mm F1.4, and weighs less than half the weight. I took it out on SAturday and was amazed at how light it felt, and it reminded me why I have switched from DSLRs in the first place. 4 years ago my kit bag was X100 + WCL + spare batteries + filters + CF tripod and the whole lot weighed about 1.5kg!!!! Even with the X-T2, as soon as I start adding lenses to my bag it gets quite a bit heavier!

I have a 'test and try' day with the X100F tomorrow, and I must admit I'm tempted, the X100F+WCL makes a great lightweight prospect, the only thing putting me off (at the moment) is the quality of the lens, its already soft towards the edges at wide apertures, will this be exaggerated with a higher pixel count sensor?? But since I shoot at mainly F8 this shouldn't be a problem, but once seen (cannot be unseen) and all that :D

For me it certainly wouldn't replace my X-T2 setup but live alongside.

I'm surprised they didn't opt to update that lens. Everything else about seems very attractive.

I'd plan to run the x100f alongside my Sony gear. The x100f would be the lighter option to have with me more often. I've an 85mm g master and sigma art lens so nothing portable. Or perhaps the more sensible option would be to just buy the 35mm f2.8 Zeiss for the Sony!

I'm surprised they didn't opt to update that lens. Everything else about seems very attractive.

I'd plan to run the x100f alongside my Sony gear. The x100f would be the lighter option to have with me more often. I've an 85mm g master and sigma art lens so nothing portable. Or perhaps the more sensible option would be to just buy the 35mm f2.8 Zeiss for the Sony!
I would personally stick to one system and go for the Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8 and 35mm f2.8 as your lighter option :)

There's some sense in that.
Yup, FF goodness but you have to consider the advantages of the Fuji OOC JPEG's and Film Simulation modes........ do you really want to do post-processing from a camera you carry with you more often?
Also you'll have a £1500 X100 setup with you most of the time, still a lot of ££££ to keep with you all the time etc.

Yup, FF goodness but you have to consider the advantages of the Fuji OOC JPEG's and Film Simulation modes........ do you really want to do post-processing from a camera you carry with you more often?
Also you'll have a £1500 X100 setup with you most of the time, still a lot of ££££ to keep with you all the time etc.

It is. But still cheaper than walking about with the a7rii before attaching a lens.

I guess my main concern is that with that money I could buy an a7ii and 28mm f2. Or the batis 25mm and the 55. They would be far more sensible options.

But that shiny new x100f!! Lol

It is. But still cheaper than walking about with the a7rii before attaching a lens.

I guess my main concern is that with that money I could buy an a7ii and 28mm f2. Or the batis 25mm and the 55. They would be far more sensible options.

But that shiny new x100f!! Lol
Fuji GAS........ just get a Sony RX100 for portable use or a new iPhone 7 Plus :D

I think I'd have to see how the lens performed and how effective the 'cropping' facility was before I'd part with that sort of cash. It could be an expensive mistake but there again, I've always been risk averse.

I have just read the TCL on the X100F gives 70 and 110. For me that could be a game changer. So if I am correct you could have 35, 50, 70 and 110, granted the 70 and 110 are JPEG only but that is very useful

I have just read the TCL on the X100F gives 70 and 110. For me that could be a game changer. So if I am correct you could have 35, 50, 70 and 110, granted the 70 and 110 are JPEG only but that is very useful
Hi. I have seen quotes of anything in the range of 100 to 110mm FFE. With the WCL, the range of options just with 3 lenses takes it from 28 to c110. Making it a very handy camera system in one small bag. That said, the caveats are:
  • the digital conversion are crops (I understand), the longer conversion crops are roughly 12mb - still usable, but something you can do in post.
  • we won't be getting the shallow depth of field and bokeh of a c110mm lens, it will still max out at the equivalent DOF/bokeh of a 50mm f/2.8 FFE lens
  • the digital converter is jpg only
I am guessing many will revert to shooting RAW and cropping in post after we played with it for a little while.

Cheers

Hi. I have seen quotes of anything in the range of 100 to 110mm FFE. With the WCL, the range of options just with 3 lenses takes it from 28 to c110. Making it a very handy camera system in one small bag. That said, the caveats are:
  • the digital conversion are crops (I understand), the longer conversion crops are roughly 12mb - still usable, but something you can do in post.
  • we won't be getting the shallow depth of field and bokeh of a c110mm lens, it will still max out at the equivalent DOF/bokeh of a 50mm f/2.8 FFE lens
  • the digital converter is jpg only
I am guessing many will revert to shooting RAW and cropping in post after we played with it for a little while.

Cheers

I thought they were cropped and then get upsampled back to 24mp.

please say its rubbish

Its definitely not rubbish. I'll do a fuller report in the next day or so, I'm a bit tight for time at the moment.

Background, I've still got an X100, had an X-E1, still have an X-E2, had an X-T1 and usually use an X-T2. Today I spent two hours in the company of Matt Hart and two representatives from Fuji.

The X100F, its a good camera, it combines the form factor of the X100 with a lot of the functionality of the X-T2 and the hybrid viewfinder of the X-Pro2, it's fast and very quiet, it didn't seem as fast as my X-T2 when writing to the card, but that might of been that I had a freebie FujiFilm Class 10 card (a present from today) in instead of my usual Sandisk Extreme's. But it locks onto focus fast. - The camera I used is a pre-production model and didn't have the release Firmware in it.

I took a bunch of images during our wander around Liverpool (another grey day), but the IQ looks very similar to the X-T2 (which I would expect), strong punchier colours and nice ACROS monos. I've got some RAWs and JPGs, though LR CC doesn't support it yet!

The images with the 23mm lens are as least as sharp as my X100, and in fact I think they are probably sharper (but I've always thought the X-Trans 3 was sharper than previous Fuji sensors), but its not as sharp especially at F2 as the XF23mm F1.4 at F2, but it wasn't as soft in the corners as I expected, so all good there.

Its lovely and light compared with an X-T2+23mmF1.4, but is noticeably more solid and slightly heavier than the original X100.

If you want a small light package, then its a great camera assuming that you can live with the restricted focal length, the focal length changing feature only works in JPG mode, and if your camera is set to RAW+JPG you can't even select it, you have to be JPG only.

Would I buy one, if I didn't have an X-T2 then probably yes, but having the X-T2 and the 23mm makes it a very considered decision, especially as I would be loathe to part with my original X100

Positives
AF Speed
Joystick Focus as X-T2
Battery same as interchangeable X cameras
Lightweight, compact package
With that leaf shutter, its virtually silent.

Negatives
I didn't like the ISO dial, but you can assign ISO to a function button as before
The X-T2+XF23mm exists (and I have them!)

Colour Images in Provia, mono in ACROS+R, all SOOC - they are Full Size on Flickr

DSCF7107
by Mr Perceptive X100, on Flickr

DSCF7113

DSCF7117

DSCF7125

DSCF7136

Oh and for clarification the old WCL and TCL will work on the X100F, you just have to menu select them (as previous X100 series camera), the new mark ii WCL and TCL have a sensor in them which tells the camera if they are attached or not, and switches appropriately.

and BTW I'm not really a street photographer, hence the uninteresting image content above :D

appreciate the feedback @Mr Perceptive
does the weight saving over the t2 & 23mm not tempt you?

i think I'm going to have to bail out. its a lot of dough to GAS..

Yes, but it is a lump of money I don't have just at the moment, even with the trade in offer, even if I traded in X100 +X-E2+£100 bonus, I'd still be quite a bit short!!!!

Me too...just sold 2 lenses...now to wait for the x100T market and then my x30 will be up for sale

Back