Fuji XPro-1 Barcelona city break -Updated

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
I have recently sold my Nikon gear in favor of a Fuji system and have just treated myself to the XPro1 with 35/1.4

Now, I am a very lucky man in that my wife is taking me to Barcelona for a few days for my 30th birthday, I could just take the X100 but now that I have the XPro, I think I want to take that.
I would however like to add something to cover the wide angle, maybe the 18/2, to pair with the 35.
Would this be a good choice?
I looked briefly at the Samyang 12/2 manual lens, are there many other alternatives? I don't need super wide or super expensive and I favor prime lenses.

On a side note, are there any recommendations for places to visit/experience while in Barcelona?

The cathedral is worth a visit and, of course, the Sagrada Familia. If you've never been, it's worth taking the hop-on-hop-off open-top bus tour (from memory there are 2 a "north" tour and a "south" tour. The Picasso museum is interesting and if you're a footie fan you can do a tour of the Neucamp.

One word of warning. - assuming you'll take a walk along Las Ramblas (and you should), keep a close eye and hold on anything you're carrying. It has a poor reputation for pick-pockets, so just be aware. That said, there a loads of "living-statues", so plenty of photo-opportunities, and plenty of places to eat/drink/shop

Main thing is enjoy it - it's a bustling city and can be great fun.

The cathedral is worth a visit and, of course, the Sagrada Familia. If you've never been, it's worth taking the hop-on-hop-off open-top bus tour (from memory there are 2 a "north" tour and a "south" tour. The Picasso museum is interesting and if you're a footie fan you can do a tour of the Neucamp.

One word of warning. - assuming you'll take a walk along Las Ramblas (and you should), keep a close eye and hold on anything you're carrying. It has a poor reputation for pick-pockets, so just be aware. That said, there a loads of "living-statues", so plenty of photo-opportunities, and plenty of places to eat/drink/shop

Main thing is enjoy it - it's a bustling city and can be great fun.
brilliant, thanks for the advice. Nice to be prepared.

Check out mercado la boqueria about halfway down the ramblas, awesome food market
I second the pickpocket advice though they tend to target people who have had a few

Again on Las Ramblas.. do not stop to eat or drink on main street, it's about 10x the price of the same coffee/beer/meal on one of the side streets. Tbh, the side streets are more interesting anyway..

Enjoy the trip, it's a lovely city.

Hi
There will be at least three pairs of eyes watching you all of the time waiting for you to make a tiny mistake. I live fairly close but have never taken a camera there. Google for further advice re crime. Goudi buildings are very expensive to visit, but the exchange rate is very good. Winter is just about over.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the advice. perhaps i should stick to taking the x100 then?

Any advice on the fuji 18mm for the xpro, in terms of general use and Landscapes at home? am i pretty much limited to this and the samyang 12/2?

Take a wide lens

Gaudi's Masterpiece. La Sagrada Familia by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

And yes, its reputation as the pick pocket capital of Europe is justified.

Also try not to be a typical Brit, learn the Ps and Qs in their language. People appreciate it!

Please - si us plau

Thank you - gracies

Good morning - bon dia.

Have fun!
Nice!
would it be advisable to take a casual shoulder bag ie, billingham, or do we think that will likely get targeted For its potential contents?

I did learn a bit of Spanish a couple of years ago, only enough for basic conversation as tourist. Will have to brush up a bit.

Nice!
would it be advisable to take a casual shoulder bag ie, billingham, or do we think that will likely get targeted For its potential contents?

I did learn a bit of Spanish a couple of years ago, only enough for basic conversation as tourist. Will have to brush up a bit.

The language of Barcelona is not Spanish.......

Also check out Park Guell, this is another Gaudi design and plenty of photo oppotunities there as well.
Sorry for going off topic but no one has mentioned it :D

The language of Barcelona is not Spanish.......
No but most Catalonians also speak Spanish as a second language, and seeing as i know a little, would have thought at least trying that would be better than not trying at all?

The 18mm is as described above - small, light and like all the Fuji XF lenses, pin sharp! Personally, I would take a zoom rather than primes - no need to change lenses on the fly (which does leave one rather vulnerable to the 5 fingered discount brigade...). If 18mm will be wide enough, the 18-55 is smaller and lighter than the longer reaching (and a little bigger and heavier) 18-135 but the 18-135 does offer the extra reach. Both are slower than the prime though.

I went to Barcelona a couple of years ago for a few days with my wife (just happened to be the Catalan MotoGP weekend ;)).

I wasn't to impressed with the Cathedral, it was packed & looked tacky (IMO etc), but what I would recommend is walking down Las Ramblas (with everything hidden) then turning left and wiggling through the Gothic & El Born Districts towards the Ciutadella Park. You'll find hidden churches, street performers & weird people around every corner :)

No but most Catalonians also speak Spanish as a second language, and seeing as i know a little, would have thought at least trying that would be better than not trying at all?
By law they are forced to learn Spanish, so the Catalan government makes sure kids receive the minimum legal amount of Spanish instruction, which from memory, is one hour per week.

By law they are forced to learn Spanish, so the Catalan government makes sure kids receive the minimum legal amount of Spanish instruction, which from memory, is one hour per week.
Ive learnt something today.

I used to work out of Barcelona quite a bit. I used to take my then (Nikon D90 and kit lens). I did a fair bit of shooting on Las Ramblas, the port area, the SF and a lot of the squares. There's a small indoor market about half way up Las Ramblas which is an absolute treasure chest for shooting interesting things. I kept hold of the camera all the time but never felt threatened. Pay £10-20 and get some decent insurance then don't worry.

Quick update to say thanks for all advise above.
just got back from Barcelona this morning, decided to take the XPro and 18mm, never regretted it.
What a fantastic place.
I used to work out of Barcelona quite a bit. I used to take my then (Nikon D90 and kit lens). I did a fair bit of shooting on Las Ramblas, the port area, the SF and a lot of the squares. There's a small indoor market about half way up Las Ramblas which is an absolute treasure chest for shooting interesting things. I kept hold of the camera all the time but never felt threatened. Pay £10-20 and get some decent insurance then don't worry.
snapped these from the market
Barcelona by Matthew-David-Bell, on Flickr

Barcelona by Matthew-David-Bell, on Flickr

Others on new thread
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/barcelona.585112/#post-6812309

What I find so striking about that market on Las Ramblas is the riot of colour. I know that a lot of street photographers like to produce Black and White images but I think the Market scenes lose much in the conversion to Black and White.

Back