Fungus question

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Saw this fungus/mushroom growing from a tree, quite large, probably about 8-10" across, there were a couple more but not as big.
What intrigues me is covering of red powderit was all over the base of the tree. Any ideas pleasemush.jpg

Could be fungus spores, although the top of the bracket fungus seems to be covered in the dust as well - maybe from a higher fungus?

Thanks, I'll go back and get a wider angle shot, so you can see a fuller image.

Here are some wider shots plus another tree with the same powder. :)

Attachments

• tree2.jpg
    tree2.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 21
  • tree1.jpg
    tree1.jpg
    496 KB · Views: 21
  • tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    407.7 KB · Views: 15
I've never seen anything like it and I've just spent ten minutes trying to find it with a search engine (I bet you've already done that anyway).

My only suggestion would be that someone parked an old Vauxhall Viva in the tree and it rained. ;)

I've never seen anything like it and I've just spent ten minutes trying to find it with a search engine (I bet you've already done that anyway).

My only suggestion would be that someone parked an old Vauxhall Viva in the tree and it rained. ;)

Sorry Trevor, no cigar for you, they are in the middle of a wood, Delph Woods, Broadstone, Dorset. :D
There is no other powder on any other trees apart from these with the Bracket fungus (Thanks Les)

Dashed strange!

Pretty sure the red is spores i'm no mycologist,sadly. I can't find a reference to back this so it is what it is.

Spores are so small............ so fine so light : the fact that they are on top of the upper fungi could simply be air movement , Gravity isn't going to be the only factor in where they come to rest

Simon, there was an auzzie tog here..... maybe Bollygum?? He used to post on this forum this section he's the man to help you get definitves. maybe of help if ya really wanna know:p
take care:)
stu

Back