Furniture Painting Tips

Edit My Images
Yes
Looking to tap into the collective here for some painting tips please as I'm sure there are people who know their stuff on here.

Looking to paint 4 wood bookcases each approx 6ft x 3ft. Currently they are either stained and varnished or veneered.

Plan is :

1) Sand lightly to provide a key

2) Apply Zinser to cover and sand with very fine grade to remove any embedded dust

3) Apply undercoat and sand fine grade etc

4) Apply a couple of coats of top coat with sanding in between

The OH has seen a couple of Farrow and Ball colours that may be suitable but I'm not certain if F&B satin is that highly rated. My decorators centre has said that they can tint Little Greene acrylic eggshell pretty accurately and advised alternatively they rate Tikkurila

My initial questions are any suggestions on the best paint please and bearing in mind I'm not a professional decorator should I be able,to get a decent finish using foam rollers or do I go with brush for the lot

Any advice gratefully received especially if I've missed any stages

If they are old they have certainty been dusted with a wax filled duster, and/or polished, and now have an uneven coating of wax and even worse silicone wax, which needs to be removed. Sanding needs to be more than superficial, it should remove any previous finish that might reject the paint stages.
Preparation is everything. After any sanding stage, remove the finest dust with a tack cloth.
Good quality brushes give the finest finishes. Rollers leave an eggshell like finish.

What he said ^. Really thorough prep is the key to getting a decent finish. Any wax or silicone polish left on the surface will be your biggest problem as it can make the top coats split (fish eye). So sand it really well and then wipe it down thoroughly with paint thinners (meths will do at a pinch, but don’t use white spirit if you’re using waterbased paints, as it leaves a slight oily residue behind). A roller is ok for doing a quick job if you’re not too fussy, but a brush will give a better finish.

Last edited:
Prep is key as above.
Must be thorough.
Buy a really good quality fine tipped brush.
You can use a roller for quick cover, then brush out for a smooth finish.
I'm painting my kitchen units with Farrow and Ball.
It was recommended by a painter and decorator that pains a lot of kitchen units etc.
It dries to a nice finish, but you can have issues if you don't use their undercoat.
I didn’t use their undercoat and haven't gad any issues myself, but I know some do....

Prep is key as above.
Must be thorough.
Buy a really good quality fine tipped brush.
You can use a roller for quick cover, then brush out for a smooth finish.
I'm painting my kitchen units with Farrow and Ball.
It was recommended by a painter and decorator that pains a lot of kitchen units etc.
It dries to a nice finish, but you can have issues if you don't use their undercoat.
I didn’t use their undercoat and haven't gad any issues myself, but I know some do....
I'd heard that too about F&B paint.

Thanks for the input. It's clear I'm going to have to spend a fair bit of time on the prep.

Having seen it mentioned still undecided whether to go with rolling or brush. Alternatively, it looks like I may be able to roller and then lightly brush to get a better finish (wasn't certain if this was possible with water based paint). Will this be the easier way to get a better finish for a non pro ?

Thanks for the input. It's clear I'm going to have to spend a fair bit of time on the prep.

Having seen it mentioned still undecided whether to go with rolling or brush. Alternatively, it looks like I may be able to roller and then lightly brush to get a better finish (wasn't certain if this was possible with water based paint). Will this be the easier way to get a better finish for a non pro ?
I've been doing that.
When rolling, keep plenty paint on the roller as most folks tend to squeeze too much paint off the roller, and roll using light pressure.
Lightly lay off with a fine tip synthetic brush, in one direction

Last edited:
Back