Galway Porter

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
No
Canon EOS 620, slide film, long exposure. Re-edit.

galporta1.jpg

Last edited:
An intersting detail image

1. Very strong orange / blue colour cast (blue from the outside) - desaturate

2. window exposure needs to be brought back

3. Shadows on the bottom need to be opened up.

This sort of shot benefits from a little bit of bounced fill flash.

Hello there. Thanks so much for the comment. The glow was caused by an open fire to the right, and bounced flash would have ruined the cosy effect I was hoping for. I could have a re-think about the window illumination. In this context it's tricky working with mixed lighting sources in the one shot. I've been editing the scan in layers in ON1 and have the window on its own layer. I'll have another think about the processing. Thanks for the input.
(y)

An intersting detail image

1. Very strong orange / blue colour cast (blue from the outside) - desaturate

2. window exposure needs to be brought back

3. Shadows on the bottom need to be opened up.

This sort of shot benefits from a little bit of bounced fill flash.
Of course all this could be done using filters on the camera and manipulation in the darkroom but then this is what was captured on film and from the photographer's comments reflects what was seen and the desired effect.

I think you get the idea that I like this as it stands.

The window surround is white so messing with the colour would affect that unless done with care and I think the colour on the walls works with what you were clearly going for. I do wonder if an alternative composition with the porter more prominent might work better given the title?

highlights are blown and no detail in the shadows
could be improved with a wee bit effort

highlights are blown and no detail in the shadows
could be improved with a wee bit effort
Slide film is not very forgiving, so there may not be much there to recover by post digitisation manipulation.

Slide film is not very forgiving, so there may not be much there to recover by post digitisation manipulation.

You pick your tools for the job. I wouldn't drive nails with a camera for example. I'd use a hammer.

Thanks for the comments folks. Really appreciated.

In the slide itself and in scanning software there's no sign anywhere of blown highlights or totally lost shadows. With layers in mind this slide was scanned twice – for shadows and highlights. Shadow areas are unavoidably dense in slide film and my chosen processing effects in ON1 have increased shadow density overall. But that’s part of the look I’m after. Really!

Yes, you're maybe right, Chris – the title draws attention to the porter itself. I had a go at telling a story here. It was a genuine location and a rural, simple lifestyle that’s fading away.

You're so right David regarding slide film. At exposure we're thinking about the significant highlights and know that shadow tones will likely be dense here and there. Nature of the beast. Sounds like you’ve been there and done that!

A couple of decades ago on this trip I was shooting slide film exclusively outdoors. It’s all I had. But in a context like this it would be daft not to attempt a shot and give up instead because we don’t have the ideal “tools”. I’m glad I shot this. Won’t win a prize, but I like it.

https://theimageplane.wordpress.com/2018/12/19/galway-porter/

Last edited:
Reactions: dmb
You pick your tools for the job. I wouldn't drive nails with a camera for example. I'd use a hammer.

Unless you use an RB67, the ideal tool for both photography and nail knocking in.:D

Anyway, I like it as it is, a very cosy image.(y)

Back